Did Jesus claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Jesus claim to be God?

If actions speak louder than words, and they do, Jesus not only claimed to be God, his miracles PROVED he is God.

Receiving of the Holy Spirit and doing miracles does NOT make anyone a God!!! Read (Acts 9:40-41). After Peter raised Dorcas, he remained as Peter, the disciple.

But there is a more significant warning to the world as God declared: "Believe in my Son!" What is the world to believe?

John 8:24 reads:
"I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe NOT that I am he, ye shall die in your sins."

To God Be The Glory

Last edited:

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
The diabolical sons of Arius who deny that the ONE GOD JEHOVAH subsist as three persons love to quote Deuteronomy 6:4 in defense of their HERESY; apparently, they are unaware that "Elohim" is used in reference to the Godhead which is a uni plural noun. And they also fail to recognize that Jehovah is the sublime title for Him who is ONE GOD. So they quote, “hear O Israel Jehovah our Elohim is one Jehovah. ...

The Hebrew word elohim is certainly a plural but it can also and is often used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence.

Regarding this, Aaron Ember wrote: “That the language of the OT has entirely given up the idea of plurality in . . . [ʼElo·himʹ] (as applied to the God of Israel) is especially shown by the fact that it is almost invariably construed with a singular verbal predicate, and takes a singular adjectival attribute. . . . [ʼElo·himʹ] must rather be explained as an intensive plural, denoting greatness and majesty, being equal to The Great God.”—The American Journal of Semitic Languages and Literatures, Vol. XXI, 1905, p. 208.

when Elohim is preceded by a 'singular verbal predicate' it is to be understood to be a plural in majesty/dignity/excellence to the one being mentioned. IOW, at Deut 6:4 it should be understood to refer to Jehovah in all his excellence and Majesty in the highest degree.

Deut6;4 “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah/YHWY (< singlular verbal predicate ) our Elohim is one Jehovah

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Chapter and verse pleas.
SURE, NO PROBLEM, SEE POST #287 FOR STARTERS.

and if you like we can also go bact to the beginning... and we can start at Genesis 1:1, and 1:26 & 27 on through Revelation 22, (smile)

PICJAG.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cooper (#296):

"Good point. Only God can forgive sin."

“Only God can forgive (aphiemi) sins,” say certain trinitarians, “and Jesus forgave sin, Mark 2:7. Therefore, Jesus must be God!” So, John 20:20-23 “proves” that the disciples also must be God, right?
The disciples were given the right to declare sins forgiven (or not) and Jesus will forgive their sins in heaven.

Last edited:

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Hebrew word elohim is certainly a plural but it can also and is often used as a plural of majesty, dignity, or excellence.

Regarding this, Aaron Ember wrote: “That the language of the OT has entirely given up the idea of plurality in . . . [ʼElo·himʹ] (as applied to the God of Israel) is especially shown by the fact that it is almost invariably construed with a singular verbal predicate, and takes a singular adjectival attribute. . . . [ʼElo·himʹ] must rather be explained as an intensive plural, denoting greatness and majesty, being equal to The Great God.”—The American Journal of Semitic Languages and Literatures, Vol. XXI, 1905, p. 208.

when Elohim is preceded by a 'singular verbal predicate' it is to be understood to be a plural in majesty/dignity/excellence to the one being mentioned. IOW, at Deut 6:4 it should be understood to refer to Jehovah in all his excellence and Majesty in the highest degree.

Deut6;4 “Listen, O Israel: Jehovah/YHWY (< singlular verbal predicate ) our Elohim is one Jehovah
Jesus being Jehovah with us. (I am a monotheist.)

Last edited:

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
This happens elsewhere in the Bible as well, where both Father and Son do exactly the same thing. What do you think we should learn from this?

well if Jesus is going to hand back the kingdom and subject himself to Jehovah, then subjecting yourself to Jesus is futile.

And i dont mean we are not subject to Jesus right now... but we certainly should not be worshiping Jesus as if he is God. This is a major flaw of the trinity teaching... it causes people to worship the creation rather then the creator.

Reactions: tigger 2

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
well if Jesus is going to hand back the kingdom and subject himself to Jehovah, then subjecting yourself to Jesus is futile.

And i dont mean we are not subject to Jesus right now... but we certainly should not be worshiping Jesus as if he is God.
Then Christ's death and resurrection is in vain, and I am happy to kneel at His feet, my sins forgiven by the One Almighty God in heaven AND on earth.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

And i dont mean we are not subject to Jesus right now... but we certainly should not be worshiping Jesus as if he is God. This is a major flaw of the trinity teaching... it causes people to worship the creation rather then the creator.
Jesus is the creator (John 1) Jesus is only Yahweh's name on earth.

I am going back to bed, it is the middle of the night here.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Father and Son being one Spirit.

This...

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Means this?

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is mine, but mine which I sent mYSELF.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.
ok Truther who was sent? Isaiah 48:16 "Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me."

is the Lord GOD here the one whom many calls the Father? and his Spirit, the Holy Spirit? and it was the Son who was sent, is this correct Y/N?

PICJAG.

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
This...

Means this?

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is mine, but mine which I sent mYSELF.

In this lovely passage Jesus, while in the form of man, teaches us about the Trinity before going back to the Father.

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 14:23-27

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this lovely passage Jesus, while in the form of man, teaches us about the Trinity before going back to the Father.

Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you. But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
John 14:23-27
Jesus/Spirit in form of flesh?

Jesus said God was only this..

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok Truther who was sent? Isaiah 48:16 "Come ye near unto me, hear ye this; I have not spoken in secret from the beginning; from the time that it was, there am I: and now the Lord GOD, and his Spirit, hath sent me."

is the Lord GOD here the one whom many calls the Father? and his Spirit, the Holy Spirit? and it was the Son who was sent, is this correct Y/N?

PICJAG.
The man Christ Jesus was sent.

God did not send Himself, nor did God split into flesh, burrowing microscopically into an ovary.

God made His son in there, which was always around since from the beginning of time in the mind of God.

Spirit does not beget Spirit...remember that.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus/Spirit in form of flesh?

Jesus said God was only this..

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
What did God say?, Hebrews 1:6 "And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him." (smile)........ and HIM here is the Lord Jesus. is this confirmed in scriptures?

Acts 17:24 "God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;"
Acts 17:25 "Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;"

WHO MADE ALL THINGS? let's check the record, John 1:3 "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." WHO IS THE "HIM" HERE?

PICJAG.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The man Christ Jesus was sent.

God did not send Himself, nor did God split into flesh, burrowing microscopically into an ovary.

God made His son in there, which was always around since from the beginning of time in the mind of God.

Spirit does not beget Spirit...remember that.
thanks for the reply, but lets check the record.
your first mistake, God came, because he, God "was" sent. lets check the record as to who came. Isaiah 35:4 "Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you."

who came and saved us? your answer please.

PICJAG.