Did Jesus say that adultery is grounds for divorce? - Nope.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@0'darby

I dont appreciate you lie.
Keep them to yourself and off the Forum.

and also, you are not a devoted Bible believer, according to your THREAD..... and that is among the reasons that what Paul teaches, is not related to your theology.
And that is something you need to deal with, asap.

Now, Paul said...

"be a follower of ME, as i follow Christ", and a person who is not a student of the word, would read that as.. "Paul said to worship Him".

Now, that is not the concept... Paul is showing us, that His Walk of Faith, His Christianity, His Doctrine, is to become OURS.

The doctrine for the Church and the very "Gospel of the Grace of God", was delivered to Paul, from Jesus Himself.

This is why Paul said that His Gospel he received came from "NO MAN".
And the Gospel that Real Christians teach and preach and BELIEVED< came from Paul, who called it "my Gospel", 3X in the NT.

Paul's epistles, his teaching is our Church Doctrine.

Everything from The Gospel, to the teaching on Gift's of the Spirit, and "how to choose a Pastor"...

This all comes from PAUL.

So, we the born again, have to study Paul's 13 Epistles, as this is where we find HOW we are to "rightly divide" the word , "study to show ourselves approved to God...... (more verses by Paul).

So, if your teacher or preacher or pope or commentary writer, does not teach you what im showing you, then get a new one.
I understand, you mean well. I find you comical and depressing, but you mean well. I even gave you a "Like" instead of reporting yet another of your accusatory posts. You are the classic Bible crank and a shining example of your species. God love ya.

The NT is a cohesive document. It isn't divided into the pre-Resurrection Jesus talking to the Jews and the post-Resurrection Jesus talking to us through Paul. This is Bible-crank stuff of the first magnitude. I understand you think you've hit upon The Secret that entitles you to address everyone else as "Reader," but I simply decline to join your cult.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Polygamy.

How many Fundamentalist Christian women, divorced, never remarried because they didn't understand that verse?

And even so, if a husband divorced his wife, no woman is obligated to live without knowing a genuine living relationship.

These "laws of God", are what Jesus condemned in the Pharisees injecting their laws and punishments in the name of God.

2 husbands, still married to both.

dont see too much of that in the USA....

-

Mormonism and polygamy​

• In 1890, when it became clear that Utah would not be admitted to the Union while polygamy was still practiced, church president Wilford Woodruff issued the 1890 Manifesto, officially terminating the practice of polygamy within the LDS Church.[5] Although this Manifesto did not dissolve existing polygamous marriages, relations with the United States markedly improved after 1890, such that Utah was admitted as a U.S. state in 1896.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And a man who has sex before marriage is a fornicator and unclean. A man who has sex with someone not his wife is an adulterer.

And per the law he would be stoned to death.
Dear BlessedPeace,
Yes, per the law, the adulterer would be stoned to death.

Christ uses the marriage analogy to teach how He restores His marriage relationship in the story of the woman taken in adultery.

John 8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

In the first three verses of the story, a woman is said to have been caught in the act of adultery. This event “typed” when Adam & Eve were caught in the act of adultery with Satan in the Garden of Eden.

The woman was then delivered to the Pharisees who were responsible for the administration of the Law. The Law says that the penalty for her adultery is death. When Adam & Eve committed adultery in the Garden of Eden, they, too, were judged by the Law and were given the penalty of death (both spiritual and physical).

However, since Christ is now ready to restore His marriage relationship with the woman, He will gather her with “great mercies” (Isa 54:5-8).

John 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

Christ’s act of writing in the ground represents Him pouring out the Early Rain of the Spirit on the woman. By doing this, He is writing His Law of the Spirit in her heart.

This verse applies:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The verse above is referring to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith which is Christ’s spiritual covenant. Under the New Covenant, Christ will perform all the necessary “works” to restore the woman to Himself. And since it is a spiritual covenant, He will write his Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

After Christ first writes in the earth, the Pharisees continue to accuse the woman. They do this because the woman still remains under the Law after having received the Early Rain of the Spirit. She remains under the Law because the Early Rain is not sufficient to stop her from committing adultery with Satan. In other words, she does not have the ability to approach Christ strictly by faith alone yet. She is still compelled by her carnal nature and the deceptions of Satan to mix in her own “works” with faith. She tries to serve two masters, both Satan and Christ (Mat 6:24).

By continuing in her adultery, she falls away from faith and remains under the Law. For this reason, the Pharisees do not drop their stones but continue to accuse her.

John 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

In verse 8, Christ stoops down a second time and writes His Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman again. This act represents the Latter Rain of the Spirit.

It is at this point that Christ heals the woman’s spiritual blindness and she comes out from Satan’s deceptions. At this time, she begins to walk by faith alone and as a result, the Law can no longer accuse her. After this change from the Old Covenant of Law to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith, the Pharisees drop their stones and leave.

The woman (the Elect) has now been made into a Chaste Virgin again and is ready for the wedding to take place. After the wedding takes place, the woman’s marriage relationship with Christ is restored.

Joe

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a good question.
1) If the wives are not divorced, there is no adultery.
2) Jesus said the only grounds for divorce was fornication.
Which means the bride was not a virgin, ad promised by the parents.
Breach of contract.

That's a great workaround. - LOL

The King James version supports the NT Greek.
It differentiates fornication and adultery. Modern translations don't. (in general)

/
Okay....
But the KJV is the Anglican Church's translation of the scriptures as commissioned and formed by King Henry VIII. (Definite bias there in favor of divorce and remarriage....doesn't mean that they are wrong but that they had an agenda)

Also you left out some things.
WHO Jesus was speaking to.
WHY he was saying what He said.
WHY He said things the way He said them.
IOW HOW He said what he did say.

And that this practice of "Putting Away" a wife was mentioned by Malachi or Michah as violence and bloodshed.

Also there exists to this day "Marriage Parlors" in the Middle East...where a person gets married for an hour or so and then divorced.

So....since Jesus spoke in poetry and in a confusing manner for Scribes, Pharisees, Experts in the Law, Rabbi, and Sadducees.....maybe we should look a bit closer and further at the same time. Jesus didn't change or teach not to follow the Law.
If anything He expanded the Law and closed any possible loopholes. (Your own righteousness will never be sufficient for Heaven access)

And....if you are really interested....
I can tell you what Jesus was likely writing in the dirt in John 8.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
I understand, you mean well. I find you comical and depressing, but you mean well. I even gave you a "Like" instead of reporting yet another of your accusatory posts.

You find me comical and i find you theologically ignorant.
I noted early on that when you write a Thread, you spend a great deal of it talking about yourself, so, that speaks for itself.
The reader is invited to read for themselves, as i think i hear a "denial" in the wind.

So, you are welcome to report your post that falsely accused me of worshiping Paul.
As then, one of the Mods might ask you to refrain from lying.

You decide. @O'Darby

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
The NT is a cohesive document. It isn't divided into the pre-Resurrection

@O'Darby ... your post was posted by someone who does not believe that the Bible is the final authority.

What does that leave you?

A.) your Opinion as your final authority and the Bible refers to that one as a "fool".

You'll rant endlessly regarding YOUR perceived issues that you have with the word of God.
(ad nauseam).

Now listen closely...
The New Testament, is a Holy and Spiritual Document that has to be "spiritually discerned" and "right divided" thus so.

And if you were a student of the bible, and if you could do that yourself, you would not be on a Christian forum disparaging the bible or providing proof of your pronounced ignorance (as per your posts) regarding Paul's Epistles and Paul's Theology and Paul's Doctrine.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Okay....
But the KJV is the Anglican Church's translation of the scriptures as commissioned and formed by King Henry VIII. (Definite bias there in favor of divorce and remarriage....doesn't mean that they are wrong but that they had an agenda)

Can you post a verse that you concluded proves that the 50+ Translators of the KJV, were all in favor of Divorce and Remarriage?

One would be good.

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear BlessedPeace,
Yes, per the law, the adulterer would be stoned to death.

Christ uses the marriage analogy to teach how He restores His marriage relationship in the story of the woman taken in adultery.

John 8:3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, 4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? 6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. 7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. 8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

In the first three verses of the story, a woman is said to have been caught in the act of adultery. This event “typed” when Adam & Eve were caught in the act of adultery with Satan in the Garden of Eden.

The woman was then delivered to the Pharisees who were responsible for the administration of the Law. The Law says that the penalty for her adultery is death. When Adam & Eve committed adultery in the Garden of Eden, they, too, were judged by the Law and were given the penalty of death (both spiritual and physical).

However, since Christ is now ready to restore His marriage relationship with the woman, He will gather her with “great mercies” (Isa 54:5-8).

John 8:6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

Christ’s act of writing in the ground represents Him pouring out the Early Rain of the Spirit on the woman. By doing this, He is writing His Law of the Spirit in her heart.

This verse applies:

Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

The verse above is referring to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith which is Christ’s spiritual covenant. Under the New Covenant, Christ will perform all the necessary “works” to restore the woman to Himself. And since it is a spiritual covenant, He will write his Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman.

John 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

After Christ first writes in the earth, the Pharisees continue to accuse the woman. They do this because the woman still remains under the Law after having received the Early Rain of the Spirit. She remains under the Law because the Early Rain is not sufficient to stop her from committing adultery with Satan. In other words, she does not have the ability to approach Christ strictly by faith alone yet. She is still compelled by her carnal nature and the deceptions of Satan to mix in her own “works” with faith. She tries to serve two masters, both Satan and Christ (Mat 6:24).

By continuing in her adultery, she falls away from faith and remains under the Law. For this reason, the Pharisees do not drop their stones but continue to accuse her.

John 8:8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground. 9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

In verse 8, Christ stoops down a second time and writes His Law of the Spirit in the heart of the woman again. This act represents the Latter Rain of the Spirit.

It is at this point that Christ heals the woman’s spiritual blindness and she comes out from Satan’s deceptions. At this time, she begins to walk by faith alone and as a result, the Law can no longer accuse her. After this change from the Old Covenant of Law to the New Covenant of Grace through Faith, the Pharisees drop their stones and leave.

The woman (the Elect) has now been made into a Chaste Virgin again and is ready for the wedding to take place. After the wedding takes place, the woman’s marriage relationship with Christ is restored.

Joe
You said Adam and Eve were caught in the act of adultery? Are you referring to the serpent seed doctrine?

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the BIGGER question which we can't get to while hung up on word definitions
is that Jesus did not flatly say that adultery is grounds for divorce.
For husbands OR wives. In fact Jesus is only addressing the husband.
I'm afraid I might still be hung up on word definitions.

Do you suppose that the meaning of adultery today is the same as it was in Jesus' day? How about in Moses day?

I don't think that it is.

To my eyes, the 7th Commandment is a prohibition for the Israelites from mixing races with the surrounding nations. The occasion of the commandment? The Moabites sent women to seduce the Israelite men as a means of covert warfare (Numbers 25).

Reactions: St. SteVen

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear BlessedPeace,
I have never heard of the "serpent seed doctrine". Can you explain?
Joe
Here you go. :)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you post a verse that you concluded proves that the 50+ Translators of the KJV, were all in favor of Divorce and Remarriage?

One would be good.
I didn't ever say (and neither do scriptures despite Henry the 8th's desires) that God was ever or has ever been in favor of divorce. And the translators still got some grief over their work despite their King's desires and their acquiescence to him as much as possible.

Do you know how it came about that Henry divorced his first wife? You know....the history, public statements, scuttlebutt and all that?

There's a LOT of nuance and context to what Jesus said. I have been pointing out the obvious and not completely obvious things. But people have agendas and wish to pigeon hole others. But I'm jello. Hard to nail down especially when I really have not said anything. I'm delineating hermeneutics. Meaning facts that should be applied to scriptures when reading them. Nothing more or less.

Apparently you have an agenda...you can grind your axe at anyone else you desire. I'm not here for you to do that with. I'm explaining history, anthropology, and literary analysis. You might not like these things due to preconceived notions....but I haven't said anything wrong that I know of...or explained much of the scriptures in question either.

Context is king....I'm simply trying to provide context.

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here you go. :)
Dear BlessedPeace,
There is no scriptural support for Eve ever having physical sex with Satan. That is a false doctrine.

However, Eve did spiritually fornicate with Satan just as this world does. To spiritually fornicate with Satan means to believe and follow Satan's ways. Satan ways are carnal and are highly deceived.

It becomes spiritual adultery if the person is married to Christ - just as Adam/Eve and the Nation of Israel were.

Under the New Covenant, when a new believer (Early Rain of the Spirit only) follows the ways of Satan (mixes works with faith), it is not adultery because the new believer is only espoused to Christ. When a new believer commits this sin, they will fall from grace and will no longer be a chaste virgin.

In order to restore the fallen away believers who are Elect, Christ will give them an extra flask of oil (Mat 25:4, represents the Latter Rain). This is what distinguishes the "few" who are chosen (5 Wise Virgins) from the "many" who are not chosen (5 Foolish Virgins).

Joe

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I am not into polygamy so I divorced my husband, just too many other women in the relationship. !!!
Don't be so selfish. - LOL
Do you really think one woman is capable of handling a man's needs?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay....
Here's the NT Greek. Who translated it correctly? The Greek word translated as sexual immorality in modern translations is porneia.
Which should be translated as fornication. I'm not KJO, but he got it right on this one.

1711134731862.png

/

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The King James Version was commissioned by - wait for it - King James I in 1604. Henry VIII died in 1547. The KJV was indeed commissioned for the Church of England. There is some myth that James commissioned it because he wanted a divorce-friendly version, but this is nonsense. He was never divorced and there is nothing divorce-friendly about the KVJ. The events leading to the KJV and the reasons for its commissioning are well-known. Who Wrote the King James Bible? History of the KJV

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you suppose that the meaning of adultery today is the same as it was in Jesus' day? How about in Moses day?

I don't think that it is.
What difference do you see in a Certificate of Divorce in biblical times and an Annulment today?

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Obviously not in my case ! lol
So is that a statement confirming that men are more needy than women xx
Probably. - LOL
But perhaps equally, but in different ways? (physical/emotional) ???

I can tell a woman that I like her hair and she would most likely feel complimented.
If I said that to a guy, he'd probably run away. - LOL

/

Reactions: Rita