Did Jesus sweat blood?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ESV Luke 22:

44 And being in agony he prayed more earnestly; and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
The linguistic evidence strongly suggests that this is a simile and not literal. However, medically, sweating blood is possible. The condition is called Hematidrosis.

Did Jesus literally sweat blood?

I think so.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ESV Luke 22:

The linguistic evidence strongly suggests that this is a simile and not literal. However, medically, sweating blood is possible. The condition is called Hematidrosis.

I think so.
I think so too.
Luke 22:44 – after the Eucharist, Jesus sweats blood in the garden of Gethsemane. This shows that His sacrifice began in the Upper Room and connects the Passion to the seder meal where the lamb must not only be sacrificed, but consumed.

The Eucharistic Sacrifice in the Upper Room is one and the same sacrifice as the Crucifixion. The sweating of blood affirms the connection.

LPJTX

Jan 5, 2024
Jasper
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ESV Luke 22:

I think so.
Jesus’ sweat fell to the ground in large, heavy drops, the way that blood drips from an open wound. However, there exists a medical condition that produces the symptoms described and explains Luke’s mention of blood.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Augustin56

Apr 16, 2023
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, a doctor did a study of the passion of Christ. If I recall correctly, he said that it is medically possible for a human to experience such mental trauma that they can actually sweat blood. The tiny vessels under the skin break and mix with the person's sweat. The skin then feels very sensitive like a big bruise.