Did people receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues? Or did they speak in tongues ....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

D

Dave L

You speak from the conclusions of men and accuse me of doing the same thing. I speak from my heart and from what God has spoke to my heart. You may not accept that, but my testimony remains my testimony even though your disbelieve it.
Give God the glory!
Check your history of the Charismatic movement. Read the details and see if any of it adds up.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Check your history of the Charismatic movement. Read the details and see if any of it adds up.
I have read already more history written by men than I need. Like my college learning, much of it had to be sifted through and cast aside as not be edifying. History can be useful in places, but to attempt to use it as a crutch to move toward God as a person desires to move from milk to meat is a great error, as I see it.

D

Dave L

I have read already more history written by men than I need. Like my college learning, much of it had to be sifted through and cast aside as not be edifying. History can be useful in places, but to attempt to use it as a crutch to move toward God as a person desires to move from milk to meat is a great error, as I see it.
But history proves the movement false from a biblical perspective.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I speak only what the church has spoken for centuries.

And THERE we have it!!
You can only speak what you have been taught...you do not either see or hear from The Spirit of God today...because you foolishly believe that everything ceased.

"Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the MOUTH of God. "

You eat 'canned processed food'...you do not "wait on God" for fresh manna. You 'wait' on men...and eat their well chewed food.. :(

Reactions: mjrhealth
D

Dave L

And THERE we have it!!
You can only speak what you have been taught...you do not either see or hear from The Spirit of God today...because you foolishly believe that everything ceased.

"Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds from the MOUTH of God. "

You eat 'canned processed food'...you do not "wait on God" for fresh manna. You 'wait' on men...and eat their well chewed food.. :(
If you believed the bible thoroughly furnishes us, you wouldn't be out in the devil's domain chasing after extra-biblical revelations.
“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But history proves the movement false from a biblical perspective.
No my friend, the only real proof ,for or against, lies in the heart of the believer. Only God gives any real increase in the things of God. As long as you stick so closely to the things of men above the things of God, you will find yourself falling short of what He has available for you.

Reactions: mjrhealth and Helen
D

Dave L

No my friend, the only real proof ,for or against, lies in the heart of the believer. Only God gives any real increase in the things of God. As long as you stick so closely to the things of men above the things of God, you will find yourself falling short of what He has available for you.
But a false doctrine about Christ = a false Christ.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a GREAT difference @Dave L between the man of books and the man of the Spirit...

Reactions: amadeus

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But God only speaks verbally through scripture. Everything else is probably the onset of mental illness.
No He doesnt, that is the limitation you have "imposed" on Him...

Heb 3:7 Wherefore ,as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,

can you imagine what it would be like if all men followed after Christ, be soo good, His sheep listening to His voice and following after them, than men wont be able to impose themselves on His children.

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

and agn

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

D

Dave L

No He doesnt, that is the limitation you have "imposed" on Him...

Heb 3:7 Wherefore ,as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,

can you imagine what it would be like if all men followed after Christ, be soo good, His sheep listening to His voice and following after them, than men wont be able to impose themselves on His children.

Mat_23:13 But woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye shut up the kingdom of heaven against men: for ye neither go in yourselves, neither suffer ye them that are entering to go in.

and agn

Joh 10:26 But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.
Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
You are mining scripture to support a flawed theory. We have all of God's word in scripture alone.

“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:15–17) (KJV 1900)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are mining scripture to support a flawed theory. We have all of God's word in scripture alone.

“And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:15–17) (KJV 1900)

God is not flawed, men are and so much unbelief, but men like you cannot afford to have His children hear His voice, because than they wont have to listen to you, than you will have nothing, so like Pharaoh

Exo_7:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Pharaoh's heart is hardened, he refuseth to let the people go.

you wont let them go will you??

D

Dave L

God is not flawed, men are and so much unbelief, but men like you cannot afford to have His children hear His voice, because than they wont have to listen to you, than you will have nothing, so like Pharaoh

Exo_7:14 And the LORD said unto Moses, Pharaoh's heart is hardened, he refuseth to let the people go.

you wont let them go will you??
But, if scripture thoroughly furnishes us, it rules out any other means of revelation from God. If you think scripture is true, you'll agree with me.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But, if scripture thoroughly furnishes us, it rules out any other means of revelation from God. If you think scripture is true, you'll agree with me.
I cant agree with you because that would make God a liar, you say it is true yet you dont believe it, how can that be so.

D

Dave L

but you will never know for you yourself said you dont know His voice...
I know his voice sand it is only in the written word we call scripture. Beyond that if you hear voices you are either crazy, have a vivid imagination, or the devil is speaking.