Did people receive the Holy Spirit and speak in tongues? Or did they speak in tongues ....?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.” (1 Corinthians 14:24–25) (KJV 1900)

Paul says this was true of Prophecy. But tongues served a different purpose.

What do you believe is the purpose of speaking in tongues?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CoreIssue

1st Tongue: speaker speaks in a tongue unknown to himself apparently God's direct understanding alone. This one would edify from the inside of us. (I have this one.) This one is for me a prayer language.

But never called a separate gift.
Perhaps by no one else, but that's what I call it. Are semantics as important as that so long as the hearer understands what God is saying?

2nd Tongue: speaker speaks in his own language but the listeners hear him in their own foreign languages (I have had others give witness to this gift, but have never personally witnessed it). We see this one in Acts 2,

Again never called a separate gift.

Same response as to 1st tongue.
3rd Tongue: speaker speaks in tongue not understood by the speaker and it is then interpreted by some one into the common language. (My wife has been used to give such messages from God and she has also been used to interpret such messages into English. The only human language she speaks is English.)

Again they recall a separate gift

Plus the fact biblically tongues is the least gift.
That I suppose depends upon the purpose God has in mind when He bestows the gift. Not every person is, or is to be the same part of the Body of Christ.

All gifts have a purpose that serves the body of Christ. Even Paul said this was the least of gifts.
Even so...

Note singular gift, not multiple gifts.
So call it so! If this detail is really important in the understanding. Without the lead of the Holy Spirit who knows anything worth while anyway?

The gifts I have manifest in different ways at times, but that does not make each separate manifestation of different gift. And the purpose of each gift is easy to see how it serves others.
We could say something similar about God, could we not? Why do people insist upon a trinity when the scripture never specifically does?

The Pentecostal obsession with tongues cannot be justified biblically.
I am not obsessed with it. For me it is something God gave to me and I certainly cannot forget or ignore it. I have known perhaps a few who may have been as you say, "obsessed", but I have also who according to what I see are not.

Very simply let us put first things first as God directs us.

But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

Last edited:
D

Dave L

What do I care of any man's studies unless it agrees with God? Is not agreeing with God ultimately more important?
I'm saying today's tongues relieve stress and many no doubt confuse this with the Holy Spirit.

D

Dave L

So you choose to deny that God does what He wants , when He wants and how He wants?

Just like those in the wine or grape juice thread still have to argue the fact that "it must be wine..."
I even put up a posts showing how missionaries back in the 60's had no bread or wine..so worshipped using a banana and water. The tribesmen saw it from the bushes, they later said that they could tell that they were worshipping some Mighty god.
And they also saw huge angels standing all around them...so they spared their lives, and later got saved !!
But no, the letter of the word must be above anything ..tut tut...I wonder if anyone gave God that memo?
He seems to jump out of that box whenever He pleases.
Just saying, we need to evaluate our experiences by scripture and not the other way around. As I see it, the street preacher and responder were not in line with scripture.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where in Acts 2 is someone speaking in their own language, and listeners hear in theirs? I don't see the gift of interpretation found in scripture to understand the tongues of man. I'm not saying, that God wouldn't allow that kind of miracle, but just no example of such.
That is what I see reading that chapter. If you see it differently then that I would guess is part of your vision... but not mine at this moment.

Why would God not allow such a miracle?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm saying today's tongues relieve stress and many no doubt confuse this with the Holy Spirit.
While what you say may be so, that doesn't change what I do nor what I believe nor what I know.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just saying, we need to evaluate our experiences by scripture and not the other way around. As I see it, the street preacher and responder were not in line with scripture.
Do you not as one of His sheep hear directly from Him regularly or all of the time? You have decided absolutely what the scriptures mean with no possibility of error. If God were to correct you directly or via a person you have learned to quench the Holy Spirit very effectively... or so it would seem to me. How is it that we learn? How is it that we grow? An unwillingness to admit the possibility that we are in error blocks God Himself. The natural children of Israel did this also:

"Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel." Psalm 78:41

D

Dave L

Do you not as one of His sheep hear directly from Him regularly or all of the time? You have decided absolutely what the scriptures mean with no possibility of error. If God were to correct you directly or via a person you have learned to quench the Holy Spirit very effectively... or so it would seem to me. How is it that we learn? How is it that we grow? An unwillingness to admit the possibility that we are in error blocks God Himself. The natural children of Israel did this also:

"Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel." Psalm 78:41
Scripture (God) does not agree with present day tongues claims. We need to evaluate experience by scripture, not scripture by experience.

D

Dave L

Except that your opinion is not based on scripture, but a far-fetched interpetation, and Charismatic's are based on actual scripture.
Charismatics have their own interpretation of scripture that does not stand up when challenged by scripture.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Charismatics have their own interpretation of scripture that does not stand up when challenged by scripture.

No, because you have no idea of covenant law, you think it can be broken. When you show that ignorance, nothing you say is credible like:

- tongues was for writing scripture.
- tongues ceased in the middle of the covenant when the scriptures were published.
- tongues could be understood by the speaker.