DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PETER AND PAUL

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you cited Acts 19:2-5 ......This passage of scripture is unrelated to anything Paul teaches. These passages pertain to disciples of John.
After reading what you said here I can see why you don’t want to answer questions. Acts 19 is Paul correcting these disciples who were taught by Apollo’s in acts 18 and baptizing them correctly or for the right reason and you’re telling Paul that what he taught these individuals is unrelated to anything Paul teaches? I’m sure Paul would be surprised to hear that he was wasting his time.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like I said. I presented plenty of evidence that an honest Bible student could understand. Only those who are married to their own doctrine will fight it, because if you accept the plain teaching of Rom 6 you would have to admit you’ve been mislead.
Answer these 2 questions
1 did Paul preach baptism?
2. Why?
Please use the Bible to support. I’m not looking for opinion.
Hello
Paul preached this baptism in 1 Corinthians 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." To be put into Christ.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After reading what you said here I can see why you don’t want to answer questions. Acts 19 is Paul correcting these disciples who were taught by Apollo’s in acts 18 and baptizing them correctly or for the right reason and you’re telling Paul that what he taught these individuals is unrelated to anything Paul teaches? I’m sure Paul would be surprised to hear that he was wasting his time.
Hello
What I was saying was Paul did not preach water baptism for remission of sins. Paul was preaching Christ to them.
The fact is the scripture says in Acts 19:5 "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." It does not even say Paul baptized them.

The scripture says only that Paul laid hands on them in Acts 19:6 "And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
Paul preached this baptism in 1 Corinthians 12:13 "For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit." To be put into Christ.
This doesn’t mean it is the Spirit doing the baptizing. It is through the direction of the Spirit we even know about baptism. So through the direction of the Spirit we are obedient in baptism. This is how the Bible speaks.
1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
If we follow your understanding Paul is saying the law literally binds the wife. But we know it is the teaching of the law that binds.
2 Corinthians 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
So I guess Paul is saying that we can literally read Moses? No, it means when you read what Moses wrote.
So, by one Spirit we are all baptized. Through the direction of the one Spirit, who gave us the NT, we are all baptized. Paul preached there is only one baptism. But you have him teaching two because he Spoke of them being water baptized in chapter 1.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
What I was saying was Paul did not preach water baptism for remission of sins. Paul was preaching Christ to them.
The fact is the scripture says in Acts 19:5 "When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus." It does not even say Paul baptized them.

The scripture says only that Paul laid hands on them in Acts 19:6 "And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied."
Then who did the baptizing in vs 5? They didn’t do it themselves. It wasn’t the Spirit because Paul then laid his hands on them to give them the Spirit you say they were just baptized with. It is amazing the links people go to. Common sense is thrown out the window when people open the Bible.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This doesn’t mean it is the Spirit doing the baptizing. It is through the direction of the Spirit we even know about baptism. So through the direction of the Spirit we are obedient in baptism. This is how the Bible speaks.
1 Corinthians 7:39 The wife is bound by the law as long as her husband liveth; but if her husband be dead, she is at liberty to be married to whom she will; only in the Lord.
If we follow your understanding Paul is saying the law literally binds the wife. But we know it is the teaching of the law that binds.
2 Corinthians 3:15 But even unto this day, when Moses is read, the vail is upon their heart.
So I guess Paul is saying that we can literally read Moses? No, it means when you read what Moses wrote.
So, by one Spirit we are all baptized. Through the direction of the one Spirit, who gave us the NT, we are all baptized. Paul preached there is only one baptism. But you have him teaching two because he Spoke of them being water baptized in chapter 1.
Hello
1 Corinthians 12:13 says by one Spirit we are baptized which to me says the Spirit is doing the baptizing

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then who did the baptizing in vs 5? They didn’t do it themselves. It wasn’t the Spirit because Paul then laid his hands on them to give them the Spirit you say they were just baptized with. It is amazing the links people go to. Common sense is thrown out the window when people open the Bible.
Hello
I am saying you can't go beyond the scripture.....it could have been Paul but it does not say

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
1 Corinthians 12:13 says by one Spirit we are baptized which to me says the Spirit is doing the baptizing
Look at the beginning of the chapter.
1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Paul says that no man can say Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost. We know the HG is not literally the one saying Jesus is lord? He tells us that it is by the HG (through his teaching and direction) that one speaks of Jesus as Lord. We would know nothing about Jesus if it wasn’t for the HG. We would know nothing about Baptism if it wasn’t through the teaching of the HG. This is exactly what he is saying in vs 13. Many of our translations say “in one Spirit” we are all baptized. They don’t even use the word by.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
I am saying you can't go beyond the scripture.....it could have been Paul but it does not say
The key is not the who but the mode. It was immersion in water it doesn’t matter who did the immersing.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at the beginning of the chapter.
1 Corinthians 12:3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

Paul says that no man can say Jesus is Lord but by the Holy Ghost. We know the HG is not literally the one saying Jesus is lord? He tells us that it is by the HG (through his teaching and direction) that one speaks of Jesus as Lord. We would know nothing about Jesus if it wasn’t for the HG. We would know nothing about Baptism if it wasn’t through the teaching of the HG. This is exactly what he is saying in vs 13. Many of our translations say “in one Spirit” we are all baptized. They don’t even use the word by.
Hello
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Colossians 2:12
I see what you are saying....we are baptized and risen with Christ through faith in what God has done.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The key is not the who but the mode. It was immersion in water it doesn’t matter who did the immersing.
Hello
In this case it was water baptism, on this we can agree....but I just don't see where as the body of Christ, we should be baptized.
Just as a further point of consideration, I am not sure that John baptized by immersion. Look at Matthew 11:7 Hebrews 9:19 John may have sprinkled. But look at Matthew 3:16 where Jesus came out of the water.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. Colossians 2:12
I see what you are saying....we are baptized and risen with Christ through faith in what God has done.
Here it is in context...
Colossians 2:11-13 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

The circumcision of Christ without hands is baptism in water. You posted verse 12 but it is a continuing thought from vs 11.
When a person is baptized God is the one that does the work in circumcising the flesh. We through faith believe that if he raised Christ then we too will be raised to walk in newness of life. Trespasses are forgiven after one is raised out of the water. Compare this passage to Rom 6. They are parallel.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
In this case it was water baptism, on this we can agree....but I just don't see where as the body of Christ, we should be baptized.
Just as a further point of consideration, I am not sure that John baptized by immersion. Look at Matthew 11:7 Hebrews 9:19 John may have sprinkled. But look at Matthew 3:16 where Jesus came out of the water.
John 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
If he sprinkled then why did he need much water and why did he spend his time at the Jordan river. Sprinkling or pouring does not require “much” water.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
One is not even a part of the body of Christ until they are baptized. Acts 2:47 says that the lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. When were they added? After they were baptized. We are baptized into Christ.
Galatians 3:26-27 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
We are all the children of God By faith. Why? Because as many as have been baptized into Christ (the same as into the body) have put on Christ.
In the first chapter of corinthians Paul admonished them for denominating based on who baptized them and you find this...
1 Corinthians 1:12-14 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
To be “of Paul” we find that they would need to be baptized in the name of Paul. To be “of Christ” one would need to be baptized in the name of Christ. Can one be in the body and not be “of Christ”. No way.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here it is in context...
Colossians 2:11-13 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

The circumcision of Christ without hands is baptism in water. You posted verse 12 but it is a continuing thought from vs 11.
When a person is baptized God is the one that does the work in circumcising the flesh. We through faith believe that if he raised Christ then we too will be raised to walk in newness of life. Trespasses are forgiven after one is raised out of the water. Compare this passage to Rom 6. They are parallel.
Hello
How do you arrive at the position that circumcision of Christ without hands is baptism in water.

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 3:23 And John also was baptizing in Aenon near to Salim, because there was much water there: and they came, and were baptized.
If he sprinkled then why did he need much water and why did he spend his time at the Jordan river. Sprinkling or pouring does not require “much” water.
Hello
Do you think John may have both sprinkled and immersed?

Doug

Apr 29, 2018
south
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One is not even a part of the body of Christ until they are baptized. Acts 2:47 says that the lord added to the church daily such as should be saved. When were they added? After they were baptized. We are baptized into Christ.
Galatians 3:26-27 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
We are all the children of God By faith. Why? Because as many as have been baptized into Christ (the same as into the body) have put on Christ.
In the first chapter of corinthians Paul admonished them for denominating based on who baptized them and you find this...
1 Corinthians 1:12-14 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you, but Crispus and Gaius;
To be “of Paul” we find that they would need to be baptized in the name of Paul. To be “of Christ” one would need to be baptized in the name of Christ. Can one be in the body and not be “of Christ”. No way.
Hello
Acts 2:47 was before Paul and the body of Christ.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
How do you arrive at the position that circumcision of Christ without hands is baptism in water.
Read the text..
Colossians 2:11-13 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
What is circumcision? A removing of flesh. Circumcision by Christ is the removal of sins of the flesh. When are sins removed? In baptism. Acts 2:38, 3:19, 22:16, rom 6:17,18, 1 pet 3:21
God operates by removing sins when one is baptized.

Buried with him in baptism,
Same exact thought as Paul had in Rom 6. Immersion in water is a burial. Water baptism is how one obeys the death burial resurrection of Christ. You die to sin, buried in water, raised as a new creature.

wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Is your faith in the water or in God? Your faith is in God. The water does nothing. When naaman dipped 7 times was it the water or his faith that cleansed him? His faith.

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
When is one forgiven of sins? After they are raised out of the water in obedience from the heart. Rom 6:17,18.
When were Paul’s sins removed. In baptism. Acts 22:16

You show me at what point your sins are removed? It’s the blood that cleanses so tell me at what point does a convert come in contact with the blood of Christ?

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello
Do you think John may have both sprinkled and immersed?
No. Just as you pointed out that Christ went down into the water and came up out of the water. No need for that if you are sprinkling.