Discharge of Debt

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Romans 5:8-11 NKJV
(8) But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(9) Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
(10) For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
(11) And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

While we were God's enemies, God reconciled us to Himself. Like I said, plainly stated truth. But this is one of those truths that will change your life if you can simply believe what the Bible says.

While we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son. And through His Son Jesus Christ, we receive that reconciliation.

Here's one of those life changing truths:

Even before we were born again, God stopped counting our sins against us.

When we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son . . .”.

Not imputing their trespasses against then”.

Paul explained this to the believers in Colossae,

Colossians 2:13-14 NKJV
(13) And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
(14) having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Let me read this from the English Standard Version:

Colossians 2:13-14 ESV
(13) And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
(14) by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

The word “Handwriting”, in the Greek, Cheirographon, as it turns out had a very specific meaning.

In 1896, archeologists began the excavation of Oxyrhynchus, in Egypt. Or more specifically, the local landfill dump. Among other things, they found 1000's of papyri, giving a rather full picture of the society of the 3rd largest city in Egypt during the times of the Apostles. This is where we learned that “Tetelestai” - “It is finished” - was written across a certificate of debt when it was “paid in full”. And this is where we learned that those certificates of debt were called a “cheirogrphon” - handwriting.

We see this in Paul's letter to Philemon,

Philemon 1:18-19 NKJV
(18) But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account.
(19) I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay--not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides.

That was the custom. If I wrote in my onw hand that I owed you something, that “handwriting” was your legal proof of my indebtedness. And when I paid you, you would write across it, Tetelestai, and that was my legal proof of the discharge of that debt.

It is Finished.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our use of the word 'enemy' implies way too much intention. An enemy is really simply a person or force that 'works against'. There does not have to be an aggressor who wants to personally annihilate you in order to be considered an enemy. It is funny to me when Christians talk about the Devil personally attacking them! The Devil is incapable of any kind of personal relationship - he is all SMASH. Claiming that he cares enough to target anyone is almost blasphemy. God's work in the world is to restore us to a pre-fall condition - we were created to love unconditionally because He loved us / we lost our relationship with Him and were reduced to a broken state / whatever hinders God's restoration process is working against it and is therefore, technically, an enemy. Our biggest enemy is our tendency to hide in our false selves, like Adam and Eve hiding in the Garden, when we are called out of hiding into our true selves.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Romans 5:8-11 NKJV
(8) But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
(9) Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him.
(10) For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.
(11) And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.

While we were God's enemies, God reconciled us to Himself. Like I said, plainly stated truth. But this is one of those truths that will change your life if you can simply believe what the Bible says.

While we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son. And through His Son Jesus Christ, we receive that reconciliation.

Here's one of those life changing truths:

Even before we were born again, God stopped counting our sins against us.

When we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son . . .”.

Not imputing their trespasses against then”.

Paul explained this to the believers in Colossae,

Colossians 2:13-14 NKJV
(13) And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
(14) having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

Let me read this from the English Standard Version:

Colossians 2:13-14 ESV
(13) And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,
(14) by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.

The word “Handwriting”, in the Greek, Cheirographon, as it turns out had a very specific meaning.

In 1896, archeologists began the excavation of Oxyrhynchus, in Egypt. Or more specifically, the local landfill dump. Among other things, they found 1000's of papyri, giving a rather full picture of the society of the 3rd largest city in Egypt during the times of the Apostles. This is where we learned that “Tetelestai” - “It is finished” - was written across a certificate of debt when it was “paid in full”. And this is where we learned that those certificates of debt were called a “cheirogrphon” - handwriting.

We see this in Paul's letter to Philemon,

Philemon 1:18-19 NKJV
(18) But if he has wronged you or owes anything, put that on my account.
(19) I, Paul, am writing with my own hand. I will repay--not to mention to you that you owe me even your own self besides.

That was the custom. If I wrote in my onw hand that I owed you something, that “handwriting” was your legal proof of my indebtedness. And when I paid you, you would write across it, Tetelestai, and that was my legal proof of the discharge of that debt.

It is Finished.
where does it say the God stopped counting the sin. :eek:
If we sin then we are doing wrong to our neighbour, so then can we say that we are not our brothers keeper, is that so ? <_<
And so Hitler etc are fine to, as sin is not counted. :blink:

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
where does it say the God stopped counting the sin. :eek:
If we sin then we are doing wrong to our neighbour, so then can we say that we are not our brothers keeper, is that so ? <_<
And so Hitler etc are fine to, as sin is not counted. :blink:

HI Mr. Rosenberger,

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 NKJV
(18) Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
(19) that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

This is what it means to be reconciled to God. God cleared away everything He had against us, rendering us free to come to Him if only we will.

We were reconciled to God while we were still HIs enemies. Before we repented, came to faith, were born again, Jesus paid for our sins upon the cross. We must, through Jesus Christ, receive that reconciliation, receiving Jesus, and when we do, God gives us the right to become His children, and we are born of God.

But I would say with Paul, shall we sin that grace may abound? Absolutely not! This is not what we are set free for.

Its like a leper, who has been released from his leprousy. The Healer tells him, I have freed you from this dread disease! So the once-leper asks, So . . . It's OK to still have leprousy?

Why would he want to do that?

Love in Christ,
Mark

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
HI Mr. Rosenberger,

2 Corinthians 5:18-19 NKJV
(18) Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation,
(19) that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

This is what it means to be reconciled to God. God cleared away everything He had against us, rendering us free to come to Him if only we will.

We were reconciled to God while we were still HIs enemies. Before we repented, came to faith, were born again, Jesus paid for our sins upon the cross. We must, through Jesus Christ, receive that reconciliation, receiving Jesus, and when we do, God gives us the right to become His children, and we are born of God.

But I would say with Paul, shall we sin that grace may abound? Absolutely not! This is not what we are set free for.

Its like a leper, who has been released from his leprousy. The Healer tells him, I have freed you from this dread disease! So the once-leper asks, So . . . It's OK to still have leprousy?

Why would he want to do that?

Love in Christ,
Mark
He paid for our past sins, our future sins are not forgiven until there is a true repentance. Do not sin, but if anyone does, He should ask God for forgiveness and God is faithful and will forgive them.

If our sins are not counted...the purpose of that scripture would be what?

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
He paid for our past sins, our future sins are not forgiven until there is a true repentance. Do not sin, but if anyone does, He should ask God for forgiveness and God is faithful and will forgive them.

If our sins are not counted...the purpose of that scripture would be what?

Hi Jake,

To be clear, which Scripture are you asking about?

Love in Christ,
Mark

Jake

Aug 21, 2011
Western US
Hi Jake,

To be clear, which Scripture are you asking about?

Love in Christ,
Mark

It seems to me, in your OP, sin is downplayed and overlooked, as you stated our sins are not counted against us. Our past sins were forgiven, not our future sins, if it were so, there would be no need to confess them
1 John 9:1 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Sin is spoken of many times throughout the NT and is taken very seriously, we are continually warned not to sin. You are presenting a belief that is contrary to what the Bible says.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
It seems to me, in your OP, sin is downplayed and overlooked, as you stated our sins are not counted against us. Our past sins were forgiven, not our future sins, if it were so, there would be no need to confess them
1 John 9:1 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Sin is spoken of many times throughout the NT and is taken very seriously, we are continually warned not to sin. You are presenting a belief that is contrary to what the Bible says.

HI Jake,

Remember what Jesus said, "Assuredly, I say to you, all sins will be forgiven the sons of men," (Mark 3:28). Was this a true statement?

Romans 6:8-10 NKJV
(8) Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,
(9) knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.
(10) For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.

Hebrews 7:26-27 NKJV
(26) For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;
(27) who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people's, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.

Hebrews 9:11-14 NKJV
(11) But Christ came as High Priest of the good things to come, with the greater and more perfect tabernacle not made with hands, that is, not of this creation.
(12) Not with the blood of goats and calves, but with His own blood He entered the Most Holy Place once for all, having obtained eternal redemption.
(13) For if the blood of bulls and goats and the ashes of a heifer, sprinkling the unclean, sanctifies for the purifying of the flesh,
(14) how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

In each of these passages, we see the phrase, "once for all". My Concordant Literal Translation renders this word "once for all time". That seems to me to fit in these passages.

Death no longer has dominion over Him, since He died to sin once for all time.

The priests had to offer animal blood over and over, but Jesus offered His Own blood once for all time.

Let's look at one more passage that uses this word:

Hebrews 10:8-14 NKJV
(8) Previously saying, "Sacrifice and offering, burnt offerings, and offerings for sin You did not desire, nor had pleasure in them" (which are offered according to the law),
(9) then He said, "Behold, I have come to do Your will, O God." He takes away the first that He may establish the second.
(10) By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
(11) And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins.
(12) But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God,
(13) from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool.
(14) For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

We have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Once for all time? Like the other places?

OK. Allow me to ask you a question.

Are you aware of every sin you commit?

Now, I'm a firm believer in laying out my argument plainly. So I'll answer for myself. I don't believe I'm aware of every sin I commit.

I'll tell you why I think that. When I was first born again, I watched as God just removed from my life my worst and most frequent sins. He really cleaned me up! Or, that's how it seemed to me at the time. What I've came to realize was that He dealt with some of my more obvious and more immediately self destructive sins, but not my worst, nor most frequent. I don't think I had much of a clue!

Nowadays, I've learned a lot more of the deeper sins of the heart and mind. Sometimes as I reflect back on a day, I realize things I did wrong. Sometimes, I realize whole attitudes and thought patterns were wrong, not founded upon faith, and therefore sin. Some of these are ways I've lived for years, failing to fully trust God in particular areas of my life, failing to live according to His Love, for years!

I have every confidence I've forgotten many of these sins, even having discovered what they were.

And why should I be so bold as to think I've now come to all wisdom and knowledge, that I can correctly catagorize every word, thought, and deed?

If my future sins are only forgiven IF I confess them, I'm sunk.

But 1 John ch. 1 is about unbelievers either insisting that they are sinless, and just fine with God, or accepting the truth about themselves, and confessing, and being forgiven. This is not teaching us that we have repeat this cycle of forgiven/unforgiven/forgiven/unforgiven/forgiven/unforgiven/forgiven/unforgiven . . . until we die.

Soft on sin? No. Make no mistake. We've been born again to live the new life, not the old. If anyone is sinning, start walking according to the Spirit. The sin stops when you do that.

Love in Christ,
Mark