Dispensationalism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a little unsure what you're saying here. Are you saying that there is zero need to let scripture interpret scripture, [as God will "tell" you what everything means, independent of his own word?

Bottom line ~
Gods Understanding of His Own word supersedes "mans understanding" of Gods word.

Scripture "sometimes" is the "method" for God giving man "understanding" of His word that harmonizes, verifies, reveals.

And there is much in Scripture, a "method" that the TRUE understanding ONLY comes from God TO individuals.

Because, I must question that interpretation.

You are questioning something you were unsure of what I was saying.

Yes, the Spirit affirms things within us, and can move powerfully to let us know things.

But why wouldn't God use the word he has given us to inform us...when he gave us his word to inform us?

Why don't you have a little child, give them all the information you know, then explain the understanding of all that information?

Point is, people are constantly changing. A child is not capable of hearing all things, and then immediately understanding what they hear. That is a process.
Keep hearing information, keep learning information....THEN afterward you are prepared to begin Understanding the information.

When it comes to Gods Word, you are always a child concerning certain topics.....Until you have come to His Understanding of the certain topic.

And ALL men DO NOT put forth the same effort to hear, learn, continue and then WAIT for Gods understanding....

Instead they make "excuses" and decide in their "logical carnal mind", what Gods understanding "should be", according to "them".

Your excuse is based on;
Your conclusion, "Gods word is not Literal".
Your comfort with that conclusion, "Other men think the same as you do".

Isn't that a little like writing someone a letter, but then telling them not to read it because you'll call?

Nonsensical.

God gave us his word for a reason. And we move in tune with the Spirit more and more when we spend time reading and contemplating his word.

Sure God gave us His word for a reason.
Don't see how you determine 'being in tune with the Spirit" means to "reason" His word is not literal.

Um, I'm not sure I admitted anything of the sort.

I'm sure you admitted you did not understand. I provided the post number and your own quoted words.

My point is that I read Rev 20 as I do, because of the weight of other scripture. I cannot pick or choose.

You are not supposed to "pick and choose" which scripture to Believe and which scripture to not Believe.

I am not starting at a point I think is true,

Glaring ERROR.
All Scripture IS True, period.
If you do not START with that premise, you will not mature to the understanding of information.

and like: the Millennium, and then arguing for it by...what?

The Millennium is simply a Term meaning a time period of "A" thousand years", ie ONE thousand years.

If you do not like that Term, then use the Scriptural wordS, revealed 7 Times..."A thousand years".

"the Spirit told me so"? Is that what I am supposed to surmise from your arguments here?

If you can not hear the Spirit of God....that is not a dilemma for me.

I am not arguing with you. I am stating what I believe and why and how. I simply disagree with you.

You've said that forming doctrines from scripture is wrong.

No, I did not say that.
My point was and is;
Jesus has given us His Doctrine.
Personally I find His Doctrine sufficient.

You've also said that we shouldn't use scripture to understand scripture.

When Scripture gives you a Term, and then says, this Term means "whatever it says".
Then yes, scripture itself has revealed the "understanding" of that Term.

When scripture Does Not give you the "understanding" of a spiritual message...
Then what?

What do 'you' do? Guess? Decide in your Mind what logically makes sense to your Mind? See what others think?

What does the Word of God say?
No one else can know Gods Understanding of His own word, "Until" He gives them His Understanding. ( this is my preference and said so )

God Bless,
Taken

Last edited:
Reactions: Enoch111

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One thing to keep in mind. Dispensationalists cannot support any of their claims directly from scripture. They float a theory, and then sever scripture from its context to support what they say. Ask any of them to quote scripture directly saying there will be a 7 year tribulation, or a pre-trib rapture, or a restored Roman Empire, and so on and they will come up blank. It is false prophecy in search of evidence. You'll hear lots of scripture, but always removed from its context and never directly bearing on their topic.

Wrong. In example my website offers plenty of proof.

After reading some of your posts the initial thought is you are non literal and a historicist.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fantasy and delusion? No. Just difference in interpretation of the text. But thank you for highlighting my point that people entering into these conversations need to back away from the slights upon character. How are we to have civil conversations about these topics when it's "foolish" this, "delusional" that. Have I once said that you, or your end times belief is a joke, or idiotic, or foolish? Yet you seem fine in dishing out those comments to me. If you want to have a real conversation about eschatology, drop the insinuations and just get down to scripture please.

I couldn't agree with you more!!!

Christians have been arguing about these issues for a long time. I don't think we can afford to be so dogmatic about our positions that we cause divisions in the body of Christ.

Reactions: Naomi25
D

Dave L

Wrong. In example my website offers plenty of proof.

After reading some of your posts the initial thought is you are non literal and a historicist.
If you had only one scripture directly supporting any of the main tenets of Dispensationalism, we would not be having this discussion.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If you had only one scripture directly supporting any of the main tenets of Dispensationalism, we would not be having this discussion.

I think that he is here to promote "his" web site...he mentions it as often as he can. :rolleyes:

Reactions: bbyrd009 and Dave L

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christians have been arguing about these issues for a long time.
These are not matters for argument but for belief in the Word of God. The ones who argue will not give up their mistaken beliefs regardless of how many Scriptures are presented.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
1 Corinthians 10.32 does refer to 3 distinct groups of people: Jews, Gentiles and the church of God. Hence the phrase often used: "All Scripture is for us; all Scripture is not about us".

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are not matters for argument but for belief in the Word of God. The ones who argue will not give up their mistaken beliefs regardless of how many Scriptures are presented.
Hi, Enoch, I have a question for you. You seem to know a lot about the Bible. Are you a seminary student?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do find the dispensational framework helpful in understanding Scripture. 1 Co. 10.32 is a useful reference point.

Have you listened to the video in the OP? It is even more helpful than a dubious system that sounds good to human ears... ;)

Reactions: bbyrd009

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

I loved the attitude and demeanour of the man who spoke in the video clip, I listened for a while, but chose not to see it through to the end. I chose not to, because dispensationalism is merely a means to an end. The end of all Bible study is the knowledge of God and of His Son, our Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, now risen and glorified. The knowledge also of our calling and the known will of God, doctrinally, in relation to it.

We who believe are God's workmanship, in Christ Jesus; and He is leading us, individually, into all truth, as we wait on Him. It is for us to read the Word, believe what it says, and apply it as appropriate. Taking into account, what is said, by whom, and to whom, at what time, and with what intent. Only by so doing will we be free of man's influence and be wholly reliant upon God for our walk in the spirit, our spiritual growth and sustenance.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello there,

I loved the attitude and demeanour of the man who spoke in the video clip, I listened for a while, but chose not to see it through to the end. I chose not to, because dispensationalism is merely a means to an end. The end of all Bible study is the knowledge of God and of His Son, our Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ, now risen and glorified. The knowledge also of our calling and the known will of God, doctrinally, in relation to it.

We who believe are God's workmanship, in Christ Jesus; and He is leading us, individually, into all truth, as we wait on Him. It is for us to read the Word, believe what it says, and apply it as appropriate. Taking into account, what is said, by whom, and to whom, at what time, and with what intent. Only by so doing will we be free of man's influence and be wholly reliant upon God for our walk in the spirit, our spiritual growth and sustenance.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Amen! So you got it. :)

Having an opinion about eschatology is not the same as being a disciple of Christ.

D

Dave L

1 Corinthians 10.32 does refer to 3 distinct groups of people: Jews, Gentiles and the church of God. Hence the phrase often used: "All Scripture is for us; all Scripture is not about us".
But Dispensationalists interpret this their way. As do others. Not conclusive. Any scripture for a 7 year tribulation? Or restored Roman Empire, etc?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The OP stated that Darbyism appeals with those (but not all) with a shallow understanding....meaning non-spiritual.

Others have an axe to grind based on a human interpretation about what constitutes Israel.
It can be understood that Zionists prefer the natural application...because of self-interest. But what is more bizarre is that this propaganda of human self-aggrandizement in some is adopted by those who it is meant to demean.

So that people sell their own birthright and calling to BE the Bride....because they believe in the glorification according to the flesh.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'These were more noble than those in Thessalonica,
in that they received the word with all readiness of mind,
and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.'

(Act 17:11)

Hi there,

Mr Charles Welch and Dr E.W. Bullinger, both respected teachers on the Word 'rightly divided'; urged those who read their studies to search the Scriptures for themselves, to see whether what they said was true. It is the responsibility of each one of us to do so, isn't it?
Therefore, it is no point pointing the finger at any one method of approach to the Word of God, for the responsibility for embracing any doctrine lies with you and I, before God, in Christ Jesus.

'According to the grace of God
which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder,
I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.
But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.
For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid,
which is Jesus Christ.'

(1 Cor 3:10-11)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
our risen and glorified
Saviour, Lord and Head.
Chris

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
no kidding i mean they heard the Word and then searched the Scriptures to verify It, how many more hints do you need :)