Divinity Verses Deity of Jesus Christ.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Five Solas or Protestant dogmas!

Faith alone:

Christ alone:

Grace alone:

Bible alone:

Glory to God alone:

Jn 17:5 And now, O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I had with thee before the world was.

how can Jesus be glorified If he ain’t God?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lk 1:16 And many of the children of Israel shall he turn to the Lord their God.

Jn 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Jn 1:30 This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me.

John brought them to Jesus

Jesus is the Lord their God!

More

Lk 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,

69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;

Jesus visited and redeemed the people, Jesus is the horn of salvation!

Jesus is eternal God!

No wiggling out of this one!

Jesus is worshipped!
Only God may be worshipped!

Matthew 4:10
Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.

Matthew 2:11
And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

Matthew 8:2
And, behold, there came a leper and worshipped him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Matthew 9:18
While he spake these things unto them, behold, there came a certain ruler, and worshipped him, saying, My daughter is even now dead: but come and lay thy hand upon her, and she shall live.

Matthew 14:33
Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God.

Matthew 15:25
Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

John 9:38
And he said, Lord, I believe. And he worshipped him.

2 cor 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.

Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Only God can be all knowing and therefore the just judge!

Final judgement by Jesus Christ the eternal God!

John 15:5 apart from me you can do nothing!

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Only God has this power!

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How could a mere human serve as "Lamb of God" ?
Or be completely without sin?

And how could a mere human forgive sins? (Something only God can do)
Christ was not a mere human he is the Son of God. A mere human could not perform miracles and raise the dead.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Wrangler
"Some who say that they accept Jesus’ teachings view him as God’s Son, not as the Creator himself. Others believe in “the divinity of Christ” and think that he is actually God. They hold that Jesus always existed and was more than a human when he was here on the earth. Are they right about this? What do the Scriptures say?

Jesus testified that he had a prehuman existence. He said: “No man has ascended into heaven but he that descended from heaven, the Son of man.” (John 3:13) Jesus also stated: “I am the living bread that came down from heaven; if anyone eats of this bread he will live forever; and, for a fact, the bread that I shall give is my flesh in behalf of the life of the world.”John 6:51.

Just before his death, Jesus prayed: “Father, glorify me alongside yourself with the glory that I had alongside you before the world was.”John 17:5.

The Scriptures make it clear that Jesus was entirely human from his birth until his death. John did not say that the Word was merely clothed with flesh. He “became flesh” and was not part flesh and part God. . . .how could it could have been said that he had been “made a little lower than angels.”Hebrews 2:9; Psalm 8:4, 5.

If Jesus had been both God and man when on the earth, why did he repeatedly pray to Jehovah? Paul wrote: “In the days of his flesh Christ offered up supplications and also petitions to the One who was able to save him out of death, with strong outcries and tears, and he was favorably heard for his godly fear.”Hebrews 5:7.

Those saying that Jesus was a God-man use various scriptures in an effort to prove that he is a member of Christendom’s Trinity, equal with God in essence, power, glory, and duration. But when we examine these texts carefully, we find that those arguing for “the divinity of Christ” view these verses as saying more than they really do.

....what did Jesus mean when he told his followers to baptize disciples “in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit”? (Matthew 28:19, 20) Jesus did not mean or say that he, his Father, and the holy spirit were coequal. Rather, those baptized recognize Jehovah as the Life-Giver and Almighty God, to whom they dedicate their life. They accept Jesus as the Messiah and the one through whom God provided a ransom for believing mankind. And they realize that the holy spirit is God’s active force, to which they must submit.

Those who claim that God took on human existence as a God-man should note that the Bible does not even hint that Jesus viewed himself in such a way. Rather, it consistently shows that Jesus has always been inferior to his Father. When on the earth, Jesus never claimed to be more than "the Son of God". Moreover, Christ said: “The Father is greater than I am.”John 14:28.

Paul made a distinction between Jehovah and Jesus in saying: “There is actually to us one God the Father, out of whom all things are, and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are, and we through him.” (1 Corinthians 8:6) Paul also said: “You belong to Christ; Christ, in turn, belongs to God.” (1 Corinthians 3:23)"
(excerpts from https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1992044?q=divinity&p=par)

So was Jesus divine i.e. of a divine origin, or with divine authority? Or was Jesus deity, i.e. part God and part man?

Understanding the word "theos" in Greek answers that question....."theos" is translated "god" because this term applied to all those considered divine, or of divine origin, or with divine authority.

The word applied to the true God....to false gods....to satan....and even to the human Judges in Israel. It does not always mean the one singular God of Israel (Deuteronomy 6:4)...the Almighty Creator. There was no word for him in the Greek language because at that time, he was nameless. All the Greek gods had individual names, but Yahweh's name, according to a Jewish superstition, could not be uttered.

So, if the divine name had still been in use, John 1:1 the most widely used verse to promote the deity of Christ, would have read....
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Yahweh, and the Word was divine."
And there would never have been this confusion. (John 17:3)

God's name was divine because it had the Creator himself as its origin. Jesus was divine because he too had the father as his Creator.....but nowhere is Jesus ever called a deity.

So Jesus was divine....but he was not God. He did not accept worship but said all worship was to go to his God and Father. (Luke 4:5-8) Quoting Deuteronomy 6:14 Jesus said "It is written ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’"
28 Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” 29 Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20: 28-29
Just curious, but what does the father of lies have to say about this one?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What am I missing APAK? I showed you scripture that proved Jesus came from heaven and returned there after his mission was complete. You have a completely different view of Jesus than I do, and the scripture in John 3:1-15 doesn't say what you think it does IMO.

You seem to assume that idioms are more important than direct statements......I'll go with the direct statement because they do not contradict what the rest of the scriptures say.

You believe that Jesus the man was God's creation, but Revelation 3:14 shows that he was creation's very beginning.
Paul too called Jesus "the firstborn al ALL creation" (Colossians 1:15) which places him before all created things, since he had a hand in bringing them into existence. Jesus prayed to have the glory that he had alongside his Father "before the world was"....

Clear statements cannot be ignored.....your assertions are groundless to me.
Firstborn refers to inheritor of all things and first in the resurrection, the head over creation, not the first created. Jesus created all things, not all other things (as the new world perversion translated.)

Your teaching is Anathema Maranatha, but to be fair it isn't even possible for you to receive spiritual things.

12 Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. 13 And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned.

1 Corinthians 2:12-14

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Some who say that they accept Jesus’ teachings view him as God’s Son, not as the Creator himself. Others believe in “the divinity of Christ” and think that he is actually God. They hold that Jesus always existed and was more than a human when he was here on the earth. Are they right about this? What do the Scriptures say?
Those options aren't scriptural certainly. But there is another option that is scriptural, and reveals Jesus as divine. Why aren't you offering that as the only viable alternative seeing you doesn't hold any more water than the two you first maligned?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Kingdom

Dan 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

the holy Catholic Church

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus Christ is king!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you sure about that? Have you ever read the writings of Ulfilas, who evangelized the so called barbarian Goths and turned their entire kingdom into a Christian power?

did he teach the Christian faith?
Divinity of Christ and the most holy trinity? Like st. Patrick?

EloyCraft

Mar 17, 2022
Az
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

1 John 1:1
King James Version

1 That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled, of the Word of life;

John 1:1
King James Version

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Rev 22

13 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.

Reactions: theefaith

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Surely you aren't claiming Patrick was Catholico_O
But yes, Ulfilas taught Christ's divinity. Not the trinity as per Catholic creeds. Salvation through the blood of Christ .

Salvation can only be by the blood of Christ!

Ireland was catholic like all the world’s Christians before the Protestant rebellion

st. Patrick was a catholic bishop and successor of the apostles and apostle of Ireland!

catholic saints or heretics what else is there?

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those options aren't scriptural certainly. But there is another option that is scriptural, and reveals Jesus as divine. Why aren't you offering that as the only viable alternative seeing you doesn't hold any more water than the two you first maligned?
I guess you have never read other posts of mine....we do believe that Jesus was divine, of divine origin and divinely authorized.
We just don't believe he was deity on the same level as his superior Father.

Reactions: JohnPaul