Divorce and Remarriage

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Enoch111

Thank you for not pointing out the MANY mistakes I made in above post. :)

I saw them all ( I think) and corrected them.
Can I put it down to age? I have to find some excuse as I do it all the time!!
I STILL forget to go back and read my posts before posting! :oops:

If it is an age thing, I am doomed.....by the time I am your age I will be posting stuff like this:

Sum if you’re ckni my l,hi , ah f&@k it!

Reactions: Helen and Butterfly

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said Moses allowed divorce because of the hardness of people’s hearts. But God did not approve of this Matthew 19:4–8. Malachi says God hates divorce Malachi 2:15.

Since Moses allowed divorce under the Old Covenant, and Jesus abolished the Old Covenant on the cross, is divorce valid today?

By replacing the Old Covenant with the New, it would mean, Matthew 19:9 and the “except clause” is an idle discussion. It centered on the Old Covenant divorce Moses tolerated. And it no longer applies especially for believers who must forgive.

Replaced by the New Covenant, it would mean any divorce today issued by any court of law is invalid in God’s sight. And people are as married leaving the court as they were in coming.

But again, the main concern would be that those seeking divorce are unforgiving. Which is a damnable sin. We must forgive to receive forgiveness.

With spousal abuse, it seems separation would be necessary until the abuse stopped. The early church fled abuse, but held a forgiving attitude towards all. But forgiveness would leave the door open for reunion.

Thanks for considering this and sharing your views on any or all points.

I think there is no blanket answer here. No one likes divorce, but there are worse things than divorce - being unfaithful, bad parenting due to a bad relationship, a stagnant or hostile relationship with God and neighbor. If the marriage doesn’t glorify God, devastates everyone involved and leads to greater sin, get out!

As far as remarriage - plan B. Thankfully, God has accepted plan B ever since the Garden incident....is it ideal, no. Is it the tougher road, yes. I am grateful that God is merciful

D

Dave L

I think there is no blanket answer here. No one likes divorce, but there are worse things than divorce - being unfaithful, bad parenting due to a bad relationship, a stagnant or hostile relationship with God and neighbor. If the marriage doesn’t glorify God, devastates everyone involved and leads to greater sin, get out!

As far as remarriage - plan B. Thankfully, God has accepted plan B ever since the Garden incident....is it ideal, no. Is it the tougher road, yes. I am grateful that God is merciful
Adultery will keep you from heaven. Divorce and remarriage is adultery.

D

Dave L

You continue to repeat the same old NONSENSICAL MANTRA over and over again. Do you realize how much damage you do with your foolishness?

This is not the only area where you adamantly pervert Bible truth and Gospel truth. You talk about Dispensationalism as false teaching and false prophecy, but you have clearly identified yourself with your own words as a false teacher.

To all others: "Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing."
How many people do you send to hell instead of heaven by teaching adultery is OK?

D

Dave L

Maybe not everyone is as strong, spiritual, upstanding, and self controlled as you are!!!!

As you have not told us anything except that your marriage and your wife is anything but wonderful , how can you judge what and how YOU would react if tested?
Has your wife committed adultery a dozen times and expected forgiveness a dozen times? And have you lovingly forgiven her every time?

If she left you for another man...do you "just presume" that you are such super saint and would not never ever need a female partner?

Unless you have walked in the shoes of those who have had to agonize to forgive an abusive and adulterous spouse... I find your posts cold, hard , and sanctimonious.

Nothing is just "black or white " as you post.
Easy for you to say...but I wonder how you would DO!

I hear no shred of compassion from you.

"Let he who is without sin....etc "

Thankfully for myself...I have been married for 58 years to the same man.
So I can't judge others as I have not been tested in that area.
But........... adulterers go to hell and divorce and remarriage is adultery according to Jesus. So how do true believers living in adultery end up in heaven? As I said earlier, God made a way for David in the death of Uriah. But the consequences were severe and lasting. And I've seen situations where he destroys adulterous marriages through death so they cannot continue. But if people divorce for bad reasons, why not for good reasons?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Dave L

No it was not. Jesus said that "from the beginning" -- meaning from Adam and Eve -- God ordained human marriage to be (a) heterosexual (b) permanent and binding until death and (c) monogamous. Human marriage was meant to represent the Marriage of Christ and the Church.

The Law of Moses required stoning for adultery (and many other sexual sins). But it also permitted divorce, but not exclusively for adultery (since death was the punishment). Jesus changed all of that and gave a new ruling for Jew and Gentile.

EVERY PRONOUNCEMENT OF JESUS WAS FOR THE NEW COVENANT. This is something you need to get a hold of. He intended to fulfill the Old Covenant and in His mind (and the mind of the Father) His finished work on the cross was an accomplished fact. Therefore the teachings of Christ go well beyond the Old Covenant.

So you are simply introducing spiritual confusion (as usual) with all this nonsense about the Old Covenant.
Divorce was OC not NC.

B

Butterfly

Well I guess that answers my question, which is what I thought you believed.
- shame you didn't have the courage to answer me in honesty when I asked you earlier
Rita

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Well I guess that answers my question, which is what I thought you believed.
- shame you didn't have the courage to answer me in honesty when I asked you earlier
Rita
Call it what you like, it's been my position all along.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But who is an adulterer in the eyes of God? Without Christ we are all guilty of cheating on God thankfully, our confessed sins are forgiven

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is all just really unfortunate. I thought the woman caught in adultery was told by Jesus, neither do I condemn you. But Dave says, nope, she's going to hell.

Sometimes you seem to get it Dave, and I think there is hope, and then, you masticate camels and spit out the weightier parts of the law, like mercy. You put heavy weights on men's backs and refuse to lift a finger to help them.

And in all of it, YOU are the one I fear for.

Reactions: Helen and aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Masticate Camels! That is the best....

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But who is an adulterer in the eyes of God? Without Christ we are all guilty of cheating on God thankfully, our confessed sins are forgiven

We are all adulterers and murderers. But a man who is forgiven little loves little.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sin of any kind will keep you from heaven, and the new creation, just the same, Jesus saves from sin.

Much love!
Mark

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If it is an age thing, I am doomed.....by the time I am your age I will be posting stuff like this:

Sum if you’re ckni my l,hi , ah f&@k it!

Well, start to be worried when you see me getting as bad as that!! :D :D :)

Reactions: aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Now you are sounding totally ridiculous.
I was beginning to have some respect for you...but your comment is nothing but a load of religious garbage .

Reactions: Enoch111