Do Demon's Dwell Within Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can demons dwell within Christians?

• Yes they do

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • No they don't

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not believe in demons

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Hi All,

I believe that all Christians (and certainly non-believers) have demons that dwell within them to some extent. Some are mild infestations while others are severe. When someone people say "the devil made me do it" that is not far off the mark.

Evil spirits want their presence kept secret so that they can work their dark purposes without hindrance. Exposing that they do exist and do dwell within and influence believers is essential to our ability to combat them.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Then the Holy Spirit is not in them and they are not authentic Christians if they are indwelt by demons.

1Cor. 3:16: "do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you." It is not the Holy Spirit plus a demon or demons.

Reactions: country_lad

Powerful weakness

Nov 5, 2012
Then the Holy Spirit is not in them and they are not authentic Christians if they are indwelt by demons.

1Cor. 3:16: "do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you." It is not the Holy Spirit plus a demon or demons.

The distinction you are missing [or perhaps I should say, a lot of people just don't distinguish] is between being "possessed" and just being "influenced". Possession implies ownership, and the Christian is owned by God, bought by the blood of Christ (1 Cor 6:20). So there is no demon possession for the Christian. The unclean spirits can dwell in and influence the Christian though.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
The OP says "dwell within them" which is tantamount to saying posession. A Christian being opressed does not have an indwelling demon, there's no rooom since the Holy Spirit has taken up residence.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
BigAndy is correct. The person who started the thread mentioned specifically that these demonic spirits were dwelling within the person.
There is no way that could be the case AND have the Holy Spirit dwelling within them.
Therefore, the person isn't really a Christian or has fallen away from the Christian faith and the Holy Spirit was grieved and departed.

Having said that, demonic spirits do indeed hover and attempt to influence Christians.
Christians have the power to rebuke those spirits and force them to depart by the power of the name of Jesus.

If they do not then the demonic influence can indeed grow in influence and - if they ignore the warnings of the Holy Spirit - eventually end up having the Holy Spirit depart and a demonic spirit take it's place within them.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Simple answer NO
And anyone that believes differently has no business opening their mouth, for even a fool is thought wise If he holds his tongue
Much less consider themselves a teacher.

John_8:32

Nov 9, 2012
Simple answer NO
And anyone that believes differently has no business opening their mouth, for even a fool is thought wise If he holds his tongue

+10,000

The short, succinct truth of the matter.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Rex,

I hope you'll follow this post, and give the scripture some deep meditation.

The OP says "dwell within them" which is tantamount to saying posession. A Christian being opressed does not have an indwelling demon, there's no rooom since the Holy Spirit has taken up residence.

Let's look at pictures of the Temple in the gospels. I want you to think carefully about what John and Jesus are explaining to you in 3D.

John 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, 14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: 15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables; 16 And said to them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house an house of merchandise. 17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house has eaten me up. 18 Then answered the Jews and said to him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

Verse 18 is the backlash which can be expected whenever a person is delivered from evil spirits.

Note: the creatures and furniture were all real, solid or animated objects. They are physical substance like the Temple itself. They need a physical substance in which to shelter/reside.

Consider v 16 -
Genesis 14:21 And the king of Sodom said unto Abram, Give me the persons, [souls] and take the goods to thyself.

Mark 11:15 And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves; 16 And would not suffer that any man should carry [any] vessel through the temple. 17 And he taught, saying to them, Is it not written, My house shall be called of all nations the house of prayer? but ye have made it a den of thieves. 18 And the scribes and chief priests heard [it], and sought how they might destroy him: for they feared him, because all the people was astonished at his doctrine.

This 'all the people was astonished at his doctrine', graphically expresses how differently Jesus 'taught', than the scribes and Pharisees. (Note!)

Matthew 21:12 And Jesus went into the temple of God, [Mark 12:16, 17] and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, 13 And said to them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves. 14 And the blind and the lame came to him in the temple; and he healed them.

Where did He heal them? Had they been allowed into the Temple with their infirmities? What did the Law say?

15 And when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David; they were sore displeased, 16 And said to him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise? Psalm 8:2

There is significant difference between the work of the breath of God which gave Adam his human spirit and animated his body, and enabled his blood to circulate carrying oxygen to the cells, and, the way an unclean spirit attaches itself to a part of that body.

When the Holy Spirit comes in, He is in fellowship with the person's whole being, as far as He is able, and His mission is to glorify Christ, expelling all foreign bodies and sinful behaviours.

The battle which is experienced between flesh and the Spirit, is partly about strongholds of habit of the flesh, as well as when those habits have opened the door to others spirits. But they should lose, if the person co-operates with the Holy Spirit and not the flesh.

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwells in you. 12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh. 13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live. 14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. 15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father. 16 The Spirit itself bears witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: 2 Corinthians 10:3, 4, 5, 6.

The Holy Spirit also animates the whole body, in the same way as the human spirit does, causing it to cry out according to truth.

1 John 5:6 '... And it is the Spirit that bears witness, because the Spirit is truth.

It is that 'cry', which informs the believer, (and fellow-believers) and enables him/her to overcome sin, the flesh, strongholds and the devil.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. Hebrews 12:9

Reactions: Axehead

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Dragonfly
Cast your bread on the water, lay out your fleese
And vote I very rarely vote

James 1:13-16
1 Cor 10:13-15

Maybe your comparing pre Holy Spirit before the cross
To post Holy Spirit after Pentecost
As well, where is the dwelling Of the Chicana glory of God found "post Pentecost" ?

Powerful weakness

Nov 5, 2012
Simple answer NO

+10,000

The short, succinct truth of the matter.

What about people with Schizophrenia, that hear voices talking to them? I don't think it requires a great leap of faith to say these are from evil spirits, regardless of how they disguise themselves. These people can hear voices, and still confess Jesus as Lord by the power of the Holy Spirit and believe that God raised Him from the dead.

And the delusions that those suffering from Schizophrenia have? Delusions are false beliefs that resist reason/fact, so surely as being false they are from evil as well. Are you saying that anyone with these symptoms is not a Christian?

Luke 10:17-20

What if someone is suffering from spirits of worry, and doubt, and all other sorts of evil spirits - and then they are brought to a church service and the Lord God calls them to faith in Christ and they receive the Holy Spirit. Does the Spirit instantly cast out all unclean spirits right when he awakes? I don't believe so. The now-believer has authority to command them in Jesus' name.

Rex: I have no business opening my mouth??

Father God, I pray against the spirit of pride that dwells within Rex. Deliver us from evil, in Jesus' name. Amen.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
When your done compiling your If, ands and buts list.
I pray your list does not exceed those of the Pharisees as well as the Catholic church.

Powerful weakness

Nov 5, 2012
When your done compiling your If, ands and buts list.
I pray your list does not exceed those of the Pharisees as well as the Catholic church.

I used the word "if" once. I should have said "when."

You spirit of pride within Rex, I command in Jesus' name that you leave him!

Be careful folks, I suspect this thread will cause a few different spirits to rear their heads.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Hi All,

In my view, problems with demons should be viewed on a sliding scale from slight influence to full on demonic possession. I was very surprised at how many demons, really nasty ones, that people had.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Worshiper

Please excuse me for including you in my disdain for the school of Mr Justin.
I had just come from a war that's been very near my heart with Catholics.
Where I posted this http://www.christian...th/#entry173686

I came out of that post to see the school of Mr Justin, I apologize again I should have never included you in that statement

BTW This problems are under review as I understand it

Powerful weakness

Nov 5, 2012
Worshiper

Please excuse me for including you in my disdain for the school of Mr Justin.
I had just come from a war that's been very near my heart with Catholics.
Where I posted this http://www.christian...th/#entry173686

I came out of that post to see the school of Mr Justin, I apologize again I should have never included you in that statement

BTW This problems are under review as I understand it

No need to apologize to me. I pray and believe that the spirit of pride has left you. It is hard(er) to discern spirits within the self.

Why do you say in that link, that blasphemy of the Spirit dwells in you? I don't understand the connection to this thread, but I also don't understand why you would say that in the first place.

I misunderstood, but it sounded pretty close to that. You were saying that what you heard there was blasphemy to the Spirit who is in you.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Thank you Worshiper between this and my job things got a bit out of hand.
Maybe it's not important you understand my position in the other thread, I over look a lot, in doing so I would much rather find fruit to keep than complain about a bad harvest, In other words I don't find it pleasing to stir up discourse. The birds and foxes that sneak in, I do draw a bow against.

But just so we're clear I don't believe a man or woman indwelt with the HS can be possessed.
Or that unclean spirits claw at my innermost being. You I don't know nor do I know Justin, but I have a history of conversation with him.

God bless you Worshiper.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi Rex,

Dragonfly
Cast your bread on the water, lay out your fleese
And vote I very rarely vote

James 1:13-16
1 Cor 10:13-15

Maybe your comparing pre Holy Spirit before the cross
To post Holy Spirit after Pentecost

All I intended my post to convey was the picture of the Lord coming into the Temple while it was still infested with stuff which He had no intention of tolerating. He took control of the situation, and moved out everything which had no 'business' being there.

As well, where is the dwelling Of the Chicana glory of God found "post Pentecost" ?

I don't know. I watched a slightly shocking Mike Hoggard presentation on it, and apparently it's not actually in scripture. It's a corruption.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dragonfly...that was well said.

Wow, I did not know I had a school.

I know it is really unsettling to think that demons could indwell and Christian but I know from being around a lot of demonic deliverance that is the case. Also i think that this is supported by scripture. Jesus said to Peter, "Get thee behind me Satan." Satan was speaking through Peter.

What we need to do is humble ourselves and come to realize the magnitude of the situation so that we can deal with it properly. Demons have come into many people during different times in their lives where they have yielded to unclean spirits. When we are saved it does not mean all of them leave but rather that the Holy Spirit comes in and dwells within us. Yes, like Israel, we are assured of victory if we will believe but we still have to clean our houses and stand guard at the door.

Rex

Oct 17, 2012
Kingman AZ
Dragonfly...that was well said.

Wow, I did not know I had a school.

I know it is really unsettling to think that demons could indwell and Christian but I know from being around a lot of demonic deliverance that is the case. Also i think that this is supported by scripture. Jesus said to Peter, "Get thee behind me Satan." Satan was speaking through Peter.

As i said above this is pre Pentecost. You can't even read and understand the chain of events let alone see the need for this gift it in your own life.

Hi Rex,

All I intended my post to convey was the picture of the Lord coming into the Temple while it was still infested with stuff which He had no intention of tolerating. He took control of the situation, and moved out everything which had no 'business' being there.

Now that you have given me a summery I see your point.

I don't know. I watched a slightly shocking Mike Hoggard presentation on it, and apparently it's not actually in scripture. It's a corruption.
IMO he would have to shovel a lot of dirt to cover this up the fact that the HS now resides in men,
The veil in the temple was torn.
The testimony of the prophets
Paul
1 Cor 3:16
2 Cor 6:16

If my brother will, be a little patent with me today.