Do Demon's Dwell Within Christians?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Can demons dwell within Christians?

• Yes they do

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • No they don't

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not believe in demons

Votes: 1 3.2%

• Total voters

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
HI Michael,

I'm probably not going to answer every point you made in your last post to me, but just pick out a few things, as Axehead has given a clear account of the dangers Christians face when they agree with themselves, or a demon, to commit sin.

As I understand Romans 6, unless a person is ready to reckon themselves dead in Christ, they will continue to feed fleshly desires, Gal 5:16, some of which are sinful, and the others of which are purified through being joined to Him in His resurrection, by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of life.

The idea that a Christian can sin without opening himself to the powers of darkness, is a myth. Just because a Christian has a sinful desire, does not mean there is no demon waiting to ride in on its slip stream. Too much of what you say is an either-or option, whereas both can be true.

in the experience of men through the dimension of time, some one who is saved may be possessed prior to that moment in time when the Holy Spirit is received by faith in Jesus Christ, but there is no biblical example of a person having received Christ by faith ever having then become possessed.

I really don't agree with what you wrote after 'but'. If a Christian can turn back to the world, can draw back from faith, can resist correction - it doesn't matter which way you slice it, that Christian is choosing disobedience; thus he is lining himself right up with Satan's mind.

There is nothing in the New Testament which can be used to prove that all demons leave when the Holy Spirit comes in, although for the most part I do believe they leave. However, the mentality of the new born-again believer will have a lot to do with whether demons stay away. It seems that sometimes a person who was not brought up in a Christian home, finds it easier to see the differences which the Holy Spirit makes, but not everyone is willing to be led on every point. Even from a Christian home, faulty thinking exists in the unregenerate mind. Simply being born again does not fix that overnight. It takes God time to work with the person's understanding and obedience, to bring them to whole-hearted agreement with His point of view.

The erroneous example of Ananias and Sapphira given by one poster in this thread makes the assumption from the text that Satan possessed the couple to make them lie to the Holy Spirit. This is just the same silliness that implies that all sin is the work of the devil and not attributable to our own evil nature. The "devil made me do it" is the common defense of liars. In Adam's case it was eve and not the devil, but the Lord has made us responsible for our own sin.

Yes and no. We are responsible to repent once we recognise what is sin, and repentance from sin in a general way is a spiritual experience which no Christian should try to escape, but, the cross of Christ is about God taking responsibility for our sin - not that He sinned, but that He died in our place.

The devil tempts us to sin, but in general, he doesn't need to, as sin is basic to our fallen nature.

So, are you saying that the Christian who is walking in resurrection life with Christ through the Holy Spirit, still has no control over whether he sins?

Referring to Romans 6 again, surely that is the point of being planted in the death of Christ. There we die. There we rise in Him. Does a dead man have a fallen nature? Spiritually speaking he does not. He has only the flesh to contend with - a defeated foe in principle.

I believe that you made a reference to those canaanites left in the land, but I would suggest that these represent the compromising influence of unrepentant sin rather than demonic presence.

Well, there were seven nations in the land, not just canaanites. (Axehead left out the Girgashites, Deuteronomy 7:1) And in the Pentateuch, the use of the word 'nations' becomes a synonym for the (tribes of) demonic spirits associated with differing forms of idolatry. You are, no doubt, aware that the Israelites carried idols out of Egypt with them, and the whole wilderness time for that first generation - the generation that died there through unbelief - was about God showing us how our first birth (flesh) introduces us to and ingrains in us, varying forms of (self-)worship (idolatry), which if it remains unrepented, will kill us. God will not allow idolaters to inherit the land. Idolatry is synonymous with unbelief, too. Idols must be torn down and destroyed - not carried along as a fall-back worship system when we don't like what God is trying to do in our lives - Exodus 32:1, 3, 4.

Jesus made the statement that He saw Satan fall, not that He would see Satan fall. Jesus has all power and authority, not some power and authority.

Jesus has all authority since He did not sin, and since He was victorious over 'the sin' on the cross, destroying the devil and abolishing death. His authority is - like ours - based on His submission to God's will. But, Satan still exists - wounded and defeated - with limited strength. His limitation is demonstrated by the saints' having victory over sin in their own lives, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Before the cross there was no victory over sin; only bloodshed which God graciously accepted as a covering for sin. A soul could not be washed clean by the blood of Christ, and no-one on earth had authority over his own flesh, except Jesus. Now, the Holy Spirit is available to believers to overcome the flesh.

How can anyone imagine that God would forgive all our sin and place His Spirit within us, yet allow us to be tormented in possession.

First, you might be assuming that a person receives demons only as a result of choosing to sin. Are you?

There are other ways a demon can come in: through traumatic circumstances, or, active sins of others; through fear; through being too young to resist effectively; through occult practices in which they were sacrificed on the altar of someone else's idolatry; and, through responses to all of the foregoing.

Again let me say that no-one in this discussion is calling the presence of demonic strongholds in a born-again believer's life, 'possession'. If he has received the Holy Spirit (God's response to his faith in Jesus Christ), then God has redeemed him, lock stock and barrel, in the condition that he was found by God, and if not all demons leave at that time, it is not his (the Christian's) worry, as long as he attends to obeying the Lord through the Spirit. The more he pulls through the battles over obedience to God (by obeying God), the more any residual strongholds will be broken and demons will leave. But it is pure conjecture on the part of those who possit that demons cannot inhabit a part of a Christian's life, purely because the Holy Spirit has come in. The Holy Spirit has come in (Jesus has entered the temple of his body) to drive out the enemies with the co-operation of the believer.

We all know that God has His own ways of gaining our co-operation (when it is not immediately forthcoming). It depends how deep the struggle and to some extent, the grip that certain ideas have upon the believer, whether or not demons are fighting to continue in his life. A person who has yielded to certain patterns of thought and behaviour may well have been holding the door open for demons for years without realising it. All I (and certain others) are saying, is, that there can be a process of taking back the land of one's life, rather than one lone initial crisis at new birth. New birth is all about receiving a new heart and a new spirit (the Holy Spirit), having come out of darkness into the light. The next step is to live in the light, so that any darkness which remains, is systematically challenged and dispelled. Demons do not wave a white flag and come out of hiding, apart from the operation of faith. This can be the faith of the believer who needs to be rid of them, or, of the believer who knows how to command them to leave.

I am deliberately using the plural, because they can co-operate with each other both to hide, and to keep a person bemused. For all those who had demons which left when they were baptised in the Spirit, it is a wonderful day. For those who have work to do to change how they think and act, it is a wonderful day when the last one goes. This latter group is not immune to falling in to sin, just as the first group may also, but the latter have usually been raked over by the enemy more comprehensively, and need to heal more deeply to be convinced God has changed them. As they experience the changes brought about by obedience to the Spirit's leading, they are able to believe for greater changes in their lives. It may be that it's the observers who recognise demonic forces in another person's life. Remember: 'lay hands on no man suddenly'. The believer must want to be free(d).

While demonic forces are our enemies, the flesh remains the most powerful of foes.

I would say the flesh was dealt with at the cross, and the power to deal with flesh is in Christ's death and resurrection. Demons tend to justify us in our own reasoning about issues we have trouble analysing or seeing from God's point of view. Getting rid of demons has more to do with the renewing of the mind - entering into agreement with scripture on the applicable minutiae - thus dealing with areas which have been 'no go', to God, which act as barriers - our attempts to protect ourselves from being compromised again. We all do these things. It's a normal survival response. But, it is God who picks the time and place of our release from such strongly held, but nevertheless flawed ideas.

The unregenerate heart is at enmity with God.

Of course. But we are talking about Christians who have a new heart. Only their minds need to be brought into line with God's thinking.

The scripture says to resist the devil and he will flee from you, so how is one possessed by a defeated foe?

1) One is not 'possessed'.

2) The defeated foe has to be consciously expelled in the cases where he may have originally been invited to come in. If that invitation was given unconciously, he may still need to be consciously expelled, for the believer to stay free from sin.

3) Only those desiring/experiencing victory over sin can claim to be free from demonic influences.

Even the spiritual world functions according to reasonable principles. God ordained order, not chaos. If you want to hold to mutually exclusive principles there should be some reconciliation of your argument to God's will as revealed in His word, but I've yet to see one that could explain a freed captive remaining a captive except by his own will.

God IS bringing order to chaos. He is presiding over the chaos, too. Mankind is being tested as to the desires of his heart. Will he seek God who is all around him revealed in creation, or will he seek his own self-will and fleshly gratification?

Jesus Christ opened the prison door, but unless the Christian can believe he is free to go, he will remain in the safety of that prison. Not everyone has Wesley's 'I rose, went forth and followed Thee', ringing in their hearts and minds. The Christian must choose to walk out, but many have no real understanding of the cross, so everything they understand is from a carnal mindset, with selfish and fleshly concerns. God does understand this. He has watched every moment of every life from it's beginning, and He knows the flesh is weak, and will fail. He intends to separate us from our dependence on our own reasoning. If there was one topic which constantly agitated Jesus, it was lack of faith. But, God also knows the moment a person has enough understanding to be held responsible for their responses to what He has spoken into them.

God is patient and kind, and well-able to wait a little longer, to bring a believer through all the conflicts which hold him back from liberty. This attitude on God's part may well ruin our cherished theology, but He is the ultimate Realist, and we learn from Him, if we pay attention.

I hope you are beginning to see the finer points of this discussion. Remember, God is working with you, too. Birth is a crisis but life is a process which subjects us to many pressures and challenges from both inside and out.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Axehead said:
It is true that one can come into agreement with Devils (through sin) and that is idolatry. But what kind of door does that open to the powers of darkness.

Exo 23:32 Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods.

What happens when you come into agreement with Devils (gods)?

Exo 23:33 They shall not dwell in thy land, lest they make thee sin against me: for if thou serve their gods, it will surely be a snare unto thee.

Silly isn't it? "lest they make thee sin against me". Well, that is what my Bible says. Once the powers of darkness get a foothold in someone's life they will influence their mind and will to "sin against" God. All sin is still our responsibility because we are the ones that either come into agreement with God's voice or Satan's voice. Be very careful what you say "Yes" to, with your heart and actions.
That would not be His fault. I thought you were just talking about taking personal responsibility. Now, you are suggesting that God would be to blame for a Christian coming into agreement with Devils. Some Christians have received "another spirit" in believing doctrines of demons.

2Co_11:4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

Doesn't make Him unrighteous. It make you and I unrighteous if we want to hang out with unclean spirits.

Then what do you think of this sick woman who had a spirit of infirmity?

Luke_13:11 And, behold, there was a woman which had a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and could in no wise lift up herself.

We are commanded by the Lord to resist the enemy. If the hedges of God's protection come down in our lives it doesn't mean God is unjust, it means we have allowed the enemy in by opening a door for him. Was it God's fault that the Caananites, Amorites, Amalekites, Girgashites, etc, etc, attacked Israel? No. The powers of darkness behind these nations are still here today.

(Satan is the father of lies and dwells in high places - pride).

That is why God could promise rest and peace for His people, even in a land inhabited by enemies. He had already rendered those enemies powerless, and He told the children of Israel, "By little and little I will drive them out from before thee, until thou be increased, and inherit the land" Exo 23:30

It is important to remember that to "inherit" means "to occupy by driving out previous tenants and possessing in their place". The children of Israel had every reason to be sober and alert. God had cautioned them, "Take heed to thyself, lest thou make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither thou goest, lest it be for a snare in the midst of thee: But ye shall destroy their altars, break their images, and cut down their groves: For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God: Exo 34:12-14

If they compromised God's word concerning the nations in the land, the children of Israel would be seduced away from God and into idolatry. THE ENEMIES HAD BEEN RENDERED POWERLESS; God had already promised to drive them out. But they wouldn't be driven out if the children of Israel made a covenant with them allowing them to stay. God had warned the children of Israel to completely destroy everything (altars, images and groves) which would give place to another god. We have the same warning in Ephesians - "Neither give place to the devil". Eph 4:27

Again and again we see that Israel's literal journey parallels our spiritual journey.

So who were these nations God had called by name? Who were the enemies that MUST NOT BE ALLOWED TO REMAIN in the place of His inheritance (You). And how does the fact that they had to be driven out apply to us today?

Interestingly, the name of every enemy has to do with selfishness and self-centeredness. They are the same "nations" (principalities) that we must each fight if we truly want to possess the land.

And he said, Behold, I make a covenant: before all thy people I will do marvels, such as have not been done in all the earth, nor in any nation: and all the people among which thou art shall see the work of the LORD: for it is a terrible thing that I will do with thee. Observe thou that which I command thee this day: behold, I drive out before thee the AMORITE, and the CANAANITE, and the HITTITE, and the PERIZZITE, and the HIVITE, and the JEBUSITE. Exo 34:10-11

AMORITES: PUBLICITY, PROMINENCE and PRIDE
(worshipping the gods of I, Me, My). THE FIRST THING GOD DOES when He begins to deal with us is to humble our pride. Satan, the father of lies, tells us that pride is our best weapon of self-defense (of defending or protecting who we really are). Pride is a pretender. It is obsessed with putting on a good, self-confident front - even when we're cowering behind it, desperately needy and afraid.

CANAANITES: REJECTION (What about me? My feelings are hurt)
Canaan was one of the sons of Ham, who was one of the sons of Noah. The name, Canaan, represents rejection. Just as Adam and Eve were rejected by God and driven away from His presence because of rebellion, Ham made judgments against Noah and became accursed. Rejection already has a place in our lives when we are born of in Adam's image. Our fallen nature is separated from God; we are not whole. We need to feel like we have "a place"; we need to feel like we "belong".

HITTITES: FEAR (I am afraid that something will happen to me or to the people and things that I love). The Hittites were also descendants of Ham. The name "Hittite" means terror, and comes from a root word which means "to break down through violence, confusion or fear." It can also mean "broken, dismayed or in dread or fear".

PERIZZITES: UNFORGIVENESS (Look at what they have done to me; I'll never forgive them or let them hurt me again). The root word means "to separate". The Perizzites were first mentioned in the story of Lot and Abram in Genesis 13. Their herdsmen were in so much strife that Lot and Abram had to separate themselves from each other.

HIVITES: REBELLION
If you trace the word "Hivite" back to its root, you will find that it means "Eve", who was the mother of rebellion. The Hivites were first mentioned in Genesis chapter 10 as descendants of Ham. In Genesis 34, Dinah, Jacob's daughter, was defiled by a man of the Hivites when she went out from the house of Jacob (Israel) to "see the daughters of the land".

JEBUSITES: DEFILEMENT
The name "Jebusite" means "to trample, loathe, tread down or tread under, to be polluted". The Jebusites were a picture of the defilement which comes into our lives and into our souls through sexual lust, impurity and perversion.

Though the Lord gave the land, Israel still had to possess what was given.
Deu_4:1 Now therefore hearken, O Israel, unto the statutes and unto the judgments, which I teach you, for to do them, that ye may live, and go in and possess the land which the LORD God of your fathers giveth you.

And if we do not drive them out there are consequences. The will vex us to no end.
Num_33:55 But if ye will not drive out the inhabitants of the land from before you; then it shall come to pass, that those which ye let remain of them shall be pricks in your eyes, and thorns in your sides, and shall vex you in the land wherein ye dwell.

So, instead of driving out the enemy, "Christians" just say, "well, I'm not perfect and I will probably just have this habit the rest of my life". Do you know that you are being lied to? That logic is being whispered in your ear and convincing you to let the enemy stay so you don't drive them out.

Every heard people say, "Well, he's got his demons" or "he's got his demons under control"? Many are inexplicity tormented by things they don't understand. They get dressed in their Sunday best and go to church and put on a good face, but just below the surface they are living lives of quiet desperation for the "sins" that they are barely maintain control over and keeping them from taking over their life.

Did you know that through Jesus Christ you can be completely free of the Enemy? Jesus wants you to be able to say what He said. "The wicked one cometh but he has nothing in me". Here is the exact verse.

Joh_14:30 Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me.

Now, isn't the Lord's choice of words interesting? Nothing IN ME.

Through Jesus Christ you can be completely FREE and PEACEFUL, within.

Axehead
I don't know about Christians coming into agreement with devils. That would tend to be an indication that a person doesn't have the Spirit of God within them. Christians can choose to sin. They can be deceived by demons or by men with similar demonic motive. They can be self deceived and drawn away by their own evil passions and desires. Posters in this thread have no problem using individuals with unregenerate spirits spoken of in the gospels, as examples of "believers" with unclean spirits, yet it isn't enough to simply believe in God to be saved. "You must be born again." A Christian may "quench the Spirit" with willful sin, but the Holy Spirit doesn't leave those whom He indwells. God may give unbelievers up to their sin in His wrath, but He disciplines His children to restore and mature them, because He's made an unbreakable covenant with them. I have no doubt that God will allow us to be tempted, even by the devil, but never with more than we are able to bear and never with the purpose of our destruction. Resist the devil and he will flee from you. The notion of demonic possession of Christians is at the very least hogwash, and at the worst a deceitful ploy to fill offering plates. That's been a game played by con artists and "spiritualists", mediums, and mutterers for thousands of years. I feel pity for those who have been genuinely possessed and desire freedom, but that freedom is readily given through the gospel to anyone that would receive it by faith, and a lack of faith always appears to be at the heart of the matter.

dragonfly said:
HI Michael,

I'm probably not going to answer every point you made in your last post to me, but just pick out a few things, as Axehead has given a clear account of the dangers Christians face when they agree with themselves, or a demon, to commit sin.

As I understand Romans 6, unless a person is ready to reckon themselves dead in Christ, they will continue to feed fleshly desires, Gal 5:16, some of which are sinful, and the others of which are purified through being joined to Him in His resurrection, by the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of life.

The idea that a Christian can sin without opening himself to the powers of darkness, is a myth. Just because a Christian has a sinful desire, does not mean there is no demon waiting to ride in on its slip stream. Too much of what you say is an either-or option, whereas both can be true.

I really don't agree with what you wrote after 'but'. If a Christian can turn back to the world, can draw back from faith, can resist correction - it doesn't matter which way you slice it, that Christian is choosing disobedience; thus he is lining himself right up with Satan's mind.

There is nothing in the New Testament which can be used to prove that all demons leave when the Holy Spirit comes in, although for the most part I do believe they leave. However, the mentality of the new born-again believer will have a lot to do with whether demons stay away. It seems that sometimes a person who was not brought up in a Christian home, finds it easier to see the differences which the Holy Spirit makes, but not everyone is willing to be led on every point. Even from a Christian home, faulty thinking exists in the unregenerate mind. Simply being born again does not fix that overnight. It takes God time to work with the person's understanding and obedience, to bring them to whole-hearted agreement with His point of view.

Yes and no. We are responsible to repent once we recognise what is sin, and repentance from sin in a general way is a spiritual experience which no Christian should try to escape, but, the cross of Christ is about God taking responsibility for our sin - not that He sinned, but that He died in our place.

So, are you saying that the Christian who is walking in resurrection life with Christ through the Holy Spirit, still has no control over whether he sins?

Referring to Romans 6 again, surely that is the point of being planted in the death of Christ. There we die. There we rise in Him. Does a dead man have a fallen nature? Spiritually speaking he does not. He has only the flesh to contend with - a defeated foe in principle.

Well, there were seven nations in the land, not just canaanites. (Axehead left out the Girgashites, Deuteronomy 7:1) And in the Pentateuch, the use of the word 'nations' becomes a synonym for the (tribes of) demonic spirits associated with differing forms of idolatry. You are, no doubt, aware that the Israelites carried idols out of Egypt with them, and the whole wilderness time for that first generation - the generation that died there through unbelief - was about God showing us how our first birth (flesh) introduces us to and ingrains in us, varying forms of (self-)worship (idolatry), which if it remains unrepented, will kill us. God will not allow idolaters to inherit the land. Idolatry is synonymous with unbelief, too. Idols must be torn down and destroyed - not carried along as a fall-back worship system when we don't like what God is trying to do in our lives - Exodus 32:1, 3, 4.

Jesus has all authority since He did not sin, and since He was victorious over 'the sin' on the cross, destroying the devil and abolishing death. His authority is - like ours - based on His submission to God's will. But, Satan still exists - wounded and defeated - with limited strength. His limitation is demonstrated by the saints' having victory over sin in their own lives, through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Before the cross there was no victory over sin; only bloodshed which God graciously accepted as a covering for sin. A soul could not be washed clean by the blood of Christ, and no-one on earth had authority over his own flesh, except Jesus. Now, the Holy Spirit is available to believers to overcome the flesh.

First, you might be assuming that a person receives demons only as a result of choosing to sin. Are you?

There are other ways a demon can come in: through traumatic circumstances, or, active sins of others; through fear; through being too young to resist effectively; through occult practices in which they were sacrificed on the altar of someone else's idolatry; and, through responses to all of the foregoing.

Again let me say that no-one in this discussion is calling the presence of demonic strongholds in a born-again believer's life, 'possession'. If he has received the Holy Spirit (God's response to his faith in Jesus Christ), then God has redeemed him, lock stock and barrel, in the condition that he was found by God, and if not all demons leave at that time, it is not his (the Christian's) worry, as long as he attends to obeying the Lord through the Spirit. The more he pulls through the battles over obedience to God (by obeying God), the more any residual strongholds will be broken and demons will leave. But it is pure conjecture on the part of those who possit that demons cannot inhabit a part of a Christian's life, purely because the Holy Spirit has come in. The Holy Spirit has come in (Jesus has entered the temple of his body) to drive out the enemies with the co-operation of the believer.

We all know that God has His own ways of gaining our co-operation (when it is not immediately forthcoming). It depends how deep the struggle and to some extent, the grip that certain ideas have upon the believer, whether or not demons are fighting to continue in his life. A person who has yielded to certain patterns of thought and behaviour may well have been holding the door open for demons for years without realising it. All I (and certain others) are saying, is, that there can be a process of taking back the land of one's life, rather than one lone initial crisis at new birth. New birth is all about receiving a new heart and a new spirit (the Holy Spirit), having come out of darkness into the light. The next step is to live in the light, so that any darkness which remains, is systematically challenged and dispelled. Demons do not wave a white flag and come out of hiding, apart from the operation of faith. This can be the faith of the believer who needs to be rid of them, or, of the believer who knows how to command them to leave.

I am deliberately using the plural, because they can co-operate with each other both to hide, and to keep a person bemused. For all those who had demons which left when they were baptised in the Spirit, it is a wonderful day. For those who have work to do to change how they think and act, it is a wonderful day when the last one goes. This latter group is not immune to falling in to sin, just as the first group may also, but the latter have usually been raked over by the enemy more comprehensively, and need to heal more deeply to be convinced God has changed them. As they experience the changes brought about by obedience to the Spirit's leading, they are able to believe for greater changes in their lives. It may be that it's the observers who recognise demonic forces in another person's life. Remember: 'lay hands on no man suddenly'. The believer must want to be free(d).

I would say the flesh was dealt with at the cross, and the power to deal with flesh is in Christ's death and resurrection. Demons tend to justify us in our own reasoning about issues we have trouble analysing or seeing from God's point of view. Getting rid of demons has more to do with the renewing of the mind - entering into agreement with scripture on the applicable minutiae - thus dealing with areas which have been 'no go', to God, which act as barriers - our attempts to protect ourselves from being compromised again. We all do these things. It's a normal survival response. But, it is God who picks the time and place of our release from such strongly held, but nevertheless flawed ideas.

Of course. But we are talking about Christians who have a new heart. Only their minds need to be brought into line with God's thinking.

1) One is not 'possessed'.

2) The defeated foe has to be consciously expelled in the cases where he may have originally been invited to come in. If that invitation was given unconciously, he may still need to be consciously expelled, for the believer to stay free from sin.

3) Only those desiring/experiencing victory over sin can claim to be free from demonic influences.

God IS bringing order to chaos. He is presiding over the chaos, too. Mankind is being tested as to the desires of his heart. Will he seek God who is all around him revealed in creation, or will he seek his own self-will and fleshly gratification?

Jesus Christ opened the prison door, but unless the Christian can believe he is free to go, he will remain in the safety of that prison. Not everyone has Wesley's 'I rose, went forth and followed Thee', ringing in their hearts and minds. The Christian must choose to walk out, but many have no real understanding of the cross, so everything they understand is from a carnal mindset, with selfish and fleshly concerns. God does understand this. He has watched every moment of every life from it's beginning, and He knows the flesh is weak, and will fail. He intends to separate us from our dependence on our own reasoning. If there was one topic which constantly agitated Jesus, it was lack of faith. But, God also knows the moment a person has enough understanding to be held responsible for their responses to what He has spoken into them.

God is patient and kind, and well-able to wait a little longer, to bring a believer through all the conflicts which hold him back from liberty. This attitude on God's part may well ruin our cherished theology, but He is the ultimate Realist, and we learn from Him, if we pay attention.

I hope you are beginning to see the finer points of this discussion. Remember, God is working with you, too. Birth is a crisis but life is a process which subjects us to many pressures and challenges from both inside and out.
The discussion as I understand it is not about Christians sinning, but about Christians being possessed by demons, or under their influence. A Christian may demonstrate behaviors that appear demonic, such as outbursts of wrath accompanied by foul language, or other evil things, but these sins remain works of the flesh, carnality. They were dealt with at the cross in the sense that they are already "covered by the blood" of Christ's sacrifice, but if they didn't remain with us as part of our carnal nature there would be no admonition to put such behaviors away. We are called to put to death the works of the flesh by the Spirit of God who dwells within us. He has given us the power to have victory over such things, but only in the way of access to His Spirit. I can't have the victory over my sin, but I can always call upon Him for strength and wisdom in the face of temptation. We run into problems mainly when we love our sin more than we love the Lord, yet He remains able to bring us to repentance and is committed to do so. The grace He bestows, even in His discipline, gives us cause to love Him more. Our testing is not for His sake, but for ours. We don't surprise Him, but He surprises us in those hidden things which He reveals in us and to us, while forgiving us just the same. Sanctification isn't some easy thing, but the death of our old nature a little bit at a time.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
I was speaking on this topic with another Christian recently, and she had a helpful phrase for one of the main points I've been trying to make. My 'picture' is of Jesus coming into the Temple with all the money-changers, livestock and doves, and driving them all out. This didn't happen in a split-second, (like when the Holy Ghost comes in and is immediately present) although He did apply Himself to driving them out effectively.

The question arises as to how to explain a Christian's life who testifies of new birth/baptism in the Spirit, but who also has areas of bondage which seem to be intractable. Well we know they are not beyond the Lord's power to deliver, and that it is not the Lord's design that they should remain unmoved. So when the word 'unsurrendered' came up, it dawned on me that this is the best explanation to cover that scenario. The challenge is on the Christian to yield to the Lord, and allow Him to set them free (or heal them - or both - whatever is needed) to allow Him full sway in their life.

Grump

Feb 13, 2013
US
dragonfly said:
I was speaking on this topic with another Christian recently, and she had a helpful phrase for one of the main points I've been trying to make. My 'picture' is of Jesus coming into the Temple with all the money-changers, livestock and doves, and driving them all out. This didn't happen in a split-second, (like when the Holy Ghost comes in and is immediately present) although He did apply Himself to driving them out effectively.

The question arises as to how to explain a Christian's life who testifies of new birth/baptism in the Spirit, but who also has areas of bondage which seem to be intractable. Well we know they are not beyond the Lord's power to deliver, and that it is not the Lord's design that they should remain unmoved. So when the word 'unsurrendered' came up, it dawned on me that this is the best explanation to cover that scenario. The challenge is on the Christian to yield to the Lord, and allow Him to set them free (or heal them - or both - whatever is needed) to allow Him full sway in their life.
We must never forget that Christians who constantly keep their house clean (vacant) are inviting demons back in seven-fold. During one of my studies on Biblical demonology, I saw the passage on this and realized that it's entirely possible for a (group of) demon(s) to be driven out and then have them return in multiplied number. This could quite easily explain how some Christians may have this new birth, even somewhat recently, while having new spiritual adversaries to contend with.

It seems that many Christians like to keep one or two rooms clean, which would invite visitors into that room, so to say.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
Demons, I believe, are evil attitudes. An attitude is a spirit. You can't see it. You can't touch it. But you can sense/discern them.

The gift of discernment is the ability to discern the source of spiritual activity. This gift discerns only four spirits. They are:

1. the spirit of fallen (evil) angels.
2. the spirit of elect (good) angels.
3. the spirit of man.
4. the Holy Spirit.

These are the only beings in creation. And this gift in the Body of Christ discerns the source of the presence of these spirits and Spirit.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Demons, I believe, are evil attitudes. An attitude is a spirit. You can't see it. You can't touch it. But you can sense/discern them.

The gift of discernment is the ability to discern the source of spiritual activity. This gift discerns only four spirits. They are:

1. the spirit of fallen (evil) angels.
2. the spirit of elect (good) angels.
3. the spirit of man.
4. the Holy Spirit.

These are the only beings in creation. And this gift in the Body of Christ discerns the source of the presence of these spirits and Spirit.

I think you might have meant to say 'these are the only spirit beings in creation', for surely there are many other kinds of being also?

The words I put in bold aren't the definition we could extract from scripture, are they? They are your private definition. Paul says that not everyone has the gift of discerning of spirits, but I don't think he was talking about 'attitudes'. An attitude may (help to) lay the ground for a spirit to gain entrance to a person's mind or body, but the attitude itself is not the spirit, even if the spirit's 'mind' is in agreement with, or, responsible for, the attitude.

John also gives us the abc of how to deal with spirits whose 'attitude' to the reality of Jesus Christ, is uncertain. It seems to me that if Christians truly never have to have a demon cast out, or, dealt with through their own prayer life, that John would not have been led by the Holy Spirit to make his statement at the start of the fourth chapter of his first epistle. We would be forced to make certain assumptions, based only on what the person said - never distinguishing between the person and the spirit.

It may be that no spirit which is questioned about whether Jesus Christ has come in the flesh will answer that He has, but for our sakes John shared this test to enable the person with the spirit to make a choice, and the Christians in the situation to know how to pray.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
I think you might have meant to say 'these are the only spirit beings in creation', for surely there are many other kinds of being also?
I am responding by what is revealed in Scripture.

The words I put in bold aren't the definition we could extract from scripture, are they? They are your private definition. Paul says that not everyone has the gift of discerning of spirits, but I don't think he was talking about 'attitudes'. An attitude may (help to) lay the ground for a spirit to gain entrance to a person's mind or body, but the attitude itself is not the spirit, even if the spirit's 'mind' is in agreement with, or, responsible for, the attitude.
My response is not a "private definition."
You are right, not everyone has this gift of discerning of spirits. But the attitude is the spirit itself.
There was no Greek word to correspond to the Hebrew word for "attitude" so one was coined by the translators. Even our attitudes need deliverance for this is also found at the "seat" of a man's mind. His attitude for or against God needs adjustment, if you will. One example:

Mark 5:15
15 And they come to Jesus, and see him that was possessed with the devil, and had the legion, sitting, and clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid.

John also gives us the abc of how to deal with spirits whose 'attitude' to the reality of Jesus Christ, is uncertain. It seems to me that if Christians truly never have to have a demon cast out, or, dealt with through their own prayer life, that John would not have been led by the Holy Spirit to make his statement at the start of the fourth chapter of his first epistle. We would be forced to make certain assumptions, based only on what the person said - never distinguishing between the person and the spirit.
I know Christians who have bad, evil, unsavory, negative, (pick your adjective) attitudes. These "evil spirits/attitudes" originate in man. Don't forget that the carnal mind is enmity against God (Rom. 8:7). This would be attitudes. They originate in the mind.

It may be that no spirit which is questioned about whether Jesus Christ has come in the flesh will answer that He has, but for our sakes John shared this test to enable the person with the spirit to make a choice, and the Christians in the situation to know how to pray.
Ecclesiastes 3:1
1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

There is a time to pray, and a time not to pray.
Before Jesus healed a person he first dealt with their mind or attitudes. He had to first bring the mind into submission. "Every knee will bow and every tongue confess Jesus Christ is Lord" .....the tongue is operated by the mind. In order to confess such a thing the Lord will first have to subdue slash conquer the mind. Then the tongue will fall in line.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
In order to confess such a thing the Lord will first have to subdue slash conquer the mind. Then the tongue will fall in line.
I hope you're not suggesting that everyone who will confess with their lips that Jesus Christ is Lord, has also had a change of heart towards him?

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
dragonfly said:
I hope you're not suggesting that everyone who will confess with their lips that Jesus Christ is Lord, has also had a change of heart towards him?
Yes, I am. And for some it will be done with a weeping and gnashing of teeth.
And for others in the Presence of God and in His joy.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Jeremiah, the devil himself will get down on one knee and confess that Jesus is Lord.

Every few months someone comes on this board and tries to sell what you are selling.

They eventually fold their tent because what they are selling begins to smell after awhile.

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
Foreigner said:
Jeremiah, the devil himself will get down on one knee and confess that Jesus is Lord.

Every few months someone comes on this board and tries to sell what you are selling.

They eventually fold their tent because what they are selling begins to smell after awhile.
And just how many "devil's are identified by the word "every?"

I want you to know your words are being spoken to a born again Christian. Christ is in me, and what you do to the least of these His little ones, you have done it unto Him.
Keep up the bad work, "christian."
I don't trip. I know there are those like you among the sheep. Haters.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Impressive.

In two sentences you went from playing the victim, to doing exactly what you appear to be criticizing me for.

I have absolutely no doubt you are a Christian. But that doesn't mean what you are saying isn't misguided.

I hope you can hear me way up there on your high horse.....

jeremiah1five

Jan 30, 2013
Texas, USA
Foreigner said:
Impressive.

In two sentences you went from playing the victim, to doing exactly what you appear to be criticizing me for.

I have absolutely no doubt you are a Christian. But that doesn't mean what you are saying isn't misguided.

I hope you can hear me way up there on your high horse.....
In God's army I have a horse.
And a place in His ranks.
Don't hate because I KNOW who I am in Christ.

Mercy777

Sep 13, 2010
THE Gypsy said:
Yes it is. The devil doesn't make anyone do anything. It is a choice by the person being tempted. To use the excuse "the devil made me do it" is to remove personal responsibility from your decision.
Amen!

James 1:
12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; 14 but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. 15 Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.

Example;
Genesis 3:6 When the woman saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it.

The blessed side;
Faith in Christ: 1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

God Bless,
Mercy

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
But back to the original questions this thread is based on: "Do Demons Dwell Within Christians?"

The answer is no.

If you are truly a Christian then the Holy Spirit dwells within you. If the Holy Spirit is there, a demon cannot be. The Holy Spirit does NOt sublet.
However the Holy Spirit is sensitive and will not stay where it is not welcom. It will not choose to remain where it is marginalized and ignored.
If you, with the Holy Spirit inside you, begin to actively and repeatedly sin (which means you have ignored His prompts and disregarded His convictions), then He isn't going to have around. He will leave you to that which you choose to make a priority instead of Him.

THEN you have left yourself open to demonic hazing, demonic influence, demonic harassment and even demonic possession.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Foreigner said:
But back to the original questions this thread is based on: "Do Demons Dwell Within Christians?"

The answer is no.

If you are truly a Christian then the Holy Spirit dwells within you. If the Holy Spirit is there, a demon cannot be. The Holy Spirit does NOt sublet.
However the Holy Spirit is sensitive and will not stay where it is not welcom. It will not choose to remain where it is marginalized and ignored.
If you, with the Holy Spirit inside you, begin to actively and repeatedly sin (which means you have ignored His prompts and disregarded His convictions), then He isn't going to have around. He will leave you to that which you choose to make a priority instead of Him.

THEN you have left yourself open to demonic hazing, demonic influence, demonic harassment and even demonic possession.
I do agree with that, Foreigner. As they say, "you are what you eat". Either we are eating of the Tree of Life (The Lord Jesus) or the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil (Satan). We abide in one or the other, there is not a third choice in this life.

Jos 23:13 Know for a certainty that the LORD your God will no more drive out any of these nations from before you; but they shall be snares and traps unto you, and scourges in your sides, and thorns in your eyes, until ye perish from off this good land which the LORD your God hath given you.

Justin Mangonel

Nov 7, 2012
Dear All,

It never ceases to amaze me how Christian believers have the idea that
doctrine or theory trumps reality. To many, If a demon speaks out of a Christian
believer it simply can't be that the demon is in the Christian believer because
their doctrine says it can't. Believing in God does not mean that we ignore
what takes place before us. Contrary to some God does not contradict
reality but rather defines it. When "the real" contradicts what we
say God says then we should re-examine what we believe rather than make
believe. Faith is not fantasy but rather believing what God says rather than
what our natural mines say. Demons do indwell and harass us from inside
and the sooner we realize this, the better equipped we will be to deal with
this inconvenient truth.

Furthermore, you who want everything to be proved to you before you will
believe are disingenuous. Like the
honest agnostic there is little that can be said to you that will ever be proof
of what you do not wish to believe.

There is a war that was started before the foundations of this world that is
being waged inside us and all around us.
We are the battle field. Both
angels and demons are active in us and through according to how we yield our
free will to their influences. We are the promised land but we are not yeild delivered of all the cannnanites yet.

Our doctrine says there can be no such thing as a Christian indwelt by a
demon. One day a Christian shows up and
during prayer starts to manifest a demon.
People pray and cast it out in the name of Jesus. We say, well…obviously this person must not
have been a Christian or perhaps the demon was just 5 inched outside of them
but not actually in them. Instead of
re-examining our position we do all kinds of absurd mental gymnastics to
explain away the obvious. This kind of
fuzzy thinking defines our walk with God rather than a life examined through
experience with Him. It distorts everything we believe until we are mere
mockeries of Christianity rather than ambassadors of it.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
" One day a Christian shows up and
People pray and cast it out in the name of Jesus. "

-- If the person "manifest a demon" then they were obviously not living the life of a Christian. Parse that however you wish.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Justin Mangonel said:
Dear All,

It never ceases to amaze me how Christian believers have the idea that
doctrine or theory trumps reality. To many, If a demon speaks out of a Christian
believer it simply can't be that the demon is in the Christian believer because
their doctrine says it can't. Believing in God does not mean that we ignore
what takes place before us. Contrary to some God does not contradict
reality but rather defines it. When "the real" contradicts what we
say God says then we should re-examine what we believe rather than make
believe. Faith is not fantasy but rather believing what God says rather than
what our natural mines say. Demons do indwell and harass us from inside
and the sooner we realize this, the better equipped we will be to deal with
this inconvenient truth.

Furthermore, you who want everything to be proved to you before you will
believe are disingenuous. Like the
honest agnostic there is little that can be said to you that will ever be proof
of what you do not wish to believe.

There is a war that was started before the foundations of this world that is
being waged inside us and all around us.
We are the battle field. Both
angels and demons are active in us and through according to how we yield our
free will to their influences. We are the promised land but we are not yeild delivered of all the cannnanites yet.

Our doctrine says there can be no such thing as a Christian indwelt by a
demon. One day a Christian shows up and
People pray and cast it out in the name of Jesus. We say, well…obviously this person must not
have been a Christian or perhaps the demon was just 5 inched outside of them
but not actually in them. Instead of
re-examining our position we do all kinds of absurd mental gymnastics to
explain away the obvious. This kind of
fuzzy thinking defines our walk with God rather than a life examined through
experience with Him. It distorts everything we believe until we are mere
mockeries of Christianity rather than ambassadors of it.
Experience has caused me on more than one occasion to adjust my understanding of doctrine. And I am sure there are more "adjustments" down the road. We cannot assume we know all things and that is the way it will always be.

Foreigner said:
" One day a Christian shows up and
People pray and cast it out in the name of Jesus. "

-- If the person "manifest a demon" then they were obviously not living the life of a Christian. Parse that however you wish.
I won't parse it, only ask a question for clarification. Are you saying that one could have been living the life of Christian before that happened?

Experience shows me that a Christian can have anything they open themselves up to. We don't have a force-field or Kevlar vest against wickedness if we choose to come into agreement with the powers of darkness, do we? God is not an accomplice to our sin. He won't protect us from the Adversary if we choose to eat from him (and eat him) instead of eating from and eating Jesus. We either derive our life from Jesus Christ or from the Adversary (yet his "life" is counterfeit. It is a trap, bondage, shackles, chains and ultimately, death).

Psa_81:10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.

Interesting thing about Psalm 81:10 is that Satan intends to do the same thing but he plans to use a different "filling".

Deu_31:20 For when I shall have brought them into the land which I sware unto their fathers, that floweth with milk and honey; and they shall have eaten and filled themselves, and waxen fat; then will they turn unto other gods, and serve them, and provoke me, and break my covenant.

The thing that I have found out about Satan is that he loves all doctrine that keeps him hidden. Satan knows more about us than we do. He knows we are derivative creatures and that we must look to something else for spiritual life. So, he is right there and waiting knowing that man will constantly be looking for something to take within himself (desires, lusts, covetousness). There are not 3 choices, just 2. Satan or God. Tree of Life or Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Many say, not true, not true. I look to myself, not God or Satan. Well, to look to anything for your life other than God, is to look to and feed on the Lord's Adversary (and our Adversary). So, Satan has devised a million and one ways to trick man into eating from him. He is the Master of Disguise. Contrast that with God. There is only one way to eat from Him and that is through His Son, Jesus Christ.

Next time you (talking to everyone) open your mouth (open your heart and life) to have it filled, be careful who you are allowing to fill it.

I wish we did have a force-field then we would not have to engage in battle and keep our walls fortified and gates barricaded against an Enemy who is constantly trying to possess our "land".

Axehead