Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 16
The rich man also died
and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.

NOT A PARABLE!

Last edited:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mk 16 He that believeth not shall be DAMNED.

Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Condemned to what, the grave or to Hell? And if they're sent to Hell, are they then resurrected for the Great White Throne judgment only to be returned to Hell?

Does that make sense?

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecc_3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

It seems that those who die in Christ enter the Kingdom of Heaven while everyone else goes to the grave. As an analogy, it's like forbidding badly behaved students from participating in a fun school field trip and instead sitting in study hall all day. They're not being damned to Hell, but they're sure missing out on something amazing and wonderful!

Matthew 18:1-4 esv
At that time the disciples came to Jesus, saying, “Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” 2 And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them 3 and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 16
The rich man also died
and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented.

Well, that was a parable.

I believe the ungodly are in the grave, aware of nothing and where they will remain until resurrection, when they will be judged.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible tells us that all will live with God in the new Earth. Is that accurate?
Those resurrected, and found to be in Christ at His 2nd coming, taken to Heaven (3rd) and then after the 1000 years they shall inherit the new Heaven and earth:

Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

2Pe_3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Isa_65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Psa_37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Mat_5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those resurrected, and found to be in Christ at His 2nd coming, taken to Heaven (3rd) and then after the 1000 years they shall inherit the new Heaven and earth:

Exo 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.

2Pe_3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Isa_65:22 They shall not build, and another inhabit; they shall not plant, and another eat: for as the days of a tree are the days of my people, and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands.

Psa_37:11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Mat_5:5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.

Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.

Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Rev 21:2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Rev 21:3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

Rev 21:4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.

Thank you for taking your time to share God's words.

However, it remains my understanding and my belief that those in Christ immediately go to Heaven after dying.

I don't see anything that refutes that possibility, but I will continue to seek his word in order to improve my understanding. Thank you again, my brother.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for taking your time to share God's words.

However, it remains my understanding and my belief that those in Christ immediately go to Heaven after dying.

I don't see anything that refutes that possibility, but I will continue to seek his word in order to improve my understanding. Thank you again, my brother.

Sincerely Dead Snapshot Image.png

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 11:25-26
English Standard Version
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life.[a] Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 3:36
English Standard Version
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

John 3:16
English Standard Version
For God So Loved the World
16 “For God so loved the world,[a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this verse Paul speaks about those who are "asleep". Paul is saying that Jesus will eventually save them too. Clearly, those in Christ NEVER die but immediately go to be with God in his Heavenly kingdom.

1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
English Standard Version
The Coming of the Lord
13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. 14 For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 11:25-26
English Standard Version
25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life.[a] Whoever believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live, 26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?”

John 3:36
English Standard Version
36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

John 3:16
English Standard Version
For God So Loved the World
16 “For God so loved the world,[a] that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
That's why the first death is 'sleep' in scripture:

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Act_13:36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we Christians are indeed sent to the grave then all of these verses that I'm sharing are false.

Romans 6:23
English Standard Version
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?
All peoples await a resurrection from the dead at their appointed times. The righteous to life when Jesus returns, the wicked after the millennium for judgement.
If you would like scripture to support this, let me know.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's why the first death is 'sleep' in scripture:

Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Act_13:36 For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption:

Heb 11:39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise:

Heb 11:40 God having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect.

Is it possible that Godly people who lived before Jesus's sacrifice were indeed "asleep" but were then sent to Heaven afterward?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we Christians are indeed sent to the grave then all of these verses that I'm sharing are false.

Romans 6:23
English Standard Version
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
No, that refers to the second death from which there is no possibility of resurrection.

Jesus was clear:

Mat_9:24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.
Mar_5:39 And when he was come in, he saith unto them, Why make ye this ado, and weep? the damsel is not dead, but sleepeth.
Luk_8:52 And all wept, and bewailed her: but he said, Weep not; she is not dead, but sleepeth.

Joh 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Joh 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Joh 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.