Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joh 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Joh 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.
Joh 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

Yes, Lazarus was dead because Jesus had not yet been sacrificed.

On another note, Jesus met with Elijah and Moses, correct?

It appears that even those that died BEFORE Jesus's sacrifice were taken to Heaven. Of course, those were two exceptional servants of God. Still, it does demonstrate that there are exceptions.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another note, Jesus met with Elijah and Moses, correct?
They were alive, glorified, not dead. Moses resurrected, Elijah translated (same for Enoch). See previous image.

Luk_9:31 Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It appears that even those that died BEFORE Jesus's sacrifice were taken to Heaven.
Again, King David, is still dead, buried, not in heaven. Acts 2, says Peter, under influence of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost.

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were alive, glorified, not dead. Moses resurrected, Elijah translated (same for Enoch). See previous image.

Luk_9:31 Who appeared in glory, and spake of his decease which he should accomplish at Jerusalem.

It demonstrates that God did apparently take some to Heaven rather than leave them in the grave before Jesus's sacrifice and before the resurrection of all people.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It demonstrates that God did apparently take some to Heaven rather than leave them in the grave before Jesus's sacrifice and before the resurrection of all people.
Acts 2, is post Calvary, 50 days from firstfruits. See also Hebrews 11.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, King David, is still dead, buried, not in heaven. Acts 2, says Peter, under influence of the Holy Ghost at Pentecost.

Act 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.

I'm sorry. What does this have to do with David, please?

42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm sorry. What does this have to do with David, please?
Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me [Apostle Peter] freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Act 2:29 Men and brethren, let me [Apostle Peter] freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

Act 2:34 For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Ok. Let me go read that chapter again. Thanks.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I found this elsewhere.

ACTS 2:34—IS DAVID IN HEAVEN OR NOT?
PROBLEM: Peter seems to imply here that David was not in heaven. He wrote, “David did not ascend into the heavens.” Yet the Bible indicates that David was one of God’s choice servants (Acts 13:22) who obviously went to be with his Lord when he died (cf. Matt. 22:42–46).

SOLUTION: Peter is not speaking of David’s soul here, but of his body. David’s soul is in heaven along with all other believers, but his body is still in the grave (Acts 2:29). Since David’s body has not yet been raised, it is clear that he has not yet “ascended” bodily into heaven either. It is for this same reason that Jesus said to Mary, “I have not yet ascended to My Father” (John 20:17). The day He died, Jesus’ spirit went to be with the Father (see Luke 23:43, 46). So, His spirit had been with the Father, but His body had not yet ascended into heaven when he spoke to Mary. The bodily ascension took place several weeks later (cf. Acts 1:3, 9–10). (See also comments on Eph. 4:9.)

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 22: 29-32 esv

29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 31 But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, 32 ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? He is not the God of the dead but of the living.”

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe this exchange simply demonstrates how Jesus corrected the Pharisees by showing them that the Messiah will actually be the son of God and not his own offspring.

Matthew 22: 41-46

41 While the Pharisees were gathered together, Jesus asked them, 42 “What do you think about the Messiah? Whose son is he?”

“The son of David,” they replied.

43 He said to them, “How is it then that David, speaking by the Spirit, calls him ‘Lord’? For he says,

44 “‘The Lord said to my Lord:
“Sit at my right hand
until I put your enemies
under your feet.”’[e]

45 If then David calls him ‘Lord,’ how can he be his son?” 46 No one could say a word in reply, and from that day on no one dared to ask him any more questions.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do "good", non-Christians, go to Heaven to be with God when they die or do they remain in the grave awaiting the resurrection?
The called “FIRST” resurrection is a “MASS” resurrection of those who mortally Died...IN BELIEF.

Other “resurrections” HAVE and SHALL occur BEFORE the “FIRST mass” resurrection.
* 1) “resurrections”, of dead men, whose SOUL has departed their body, then their SOUL returned to their body, and their body resume Mortal Life.
(Examples in Scripture...Two Examples; ( 1 Kings chapt 17 / John chapt 11)
* 2) “resurrections”, of dead men, whose SOUL has departed their body, then their SOUL and Born Again spirit, returned to their body, and they risen in a new glorified body.
(Example in Scripture...Two Examples; ( Luke chap 24 / 1 Thes chap 4)
* 3) “Mass resurrection”, of those who DIED in Belief in God and the Messiah (OT)
and who DIED in Belief in God, and Jesus is the Messiah (NT-present)
.....BUT which did not Convert “IN” Christ.

* 1 Thes 4:14....IN Jesus...God raises after millennial reign
* 1 Thes 4:16-17....IN Christ...Lord raises before millennial reign

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Ecc_3:20 All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again.

That's only your body.

Your spirit continues.

DEATH is the process of your body dying and your spirit departing this dead earthen shell.

A.) The GRAVE is not the end.

B.) Fools find this out the hard way

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16
Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Condemned to what, the grave or to Hell? And if they're sent to Hell, are they then resurrected for the Great White Throne judgment only to be returned to Hell?

Does that make sense?
Hades (sheol), the underworld, actually inside the earth, under the crust, deep in dark caverns, is where th3 umgodly souls go.
Hades and every lost soul in it and Death itself _ at the end of time _ at the Great White Throne Judgment _ will be cast i to the Lake of Fire ( Hell) and destroyed.
It is more of an event when _ the first heaven and first earth and everything in it will burn up (2 Peter 3:10).
Then the New Jerusalem will be our eternal home, all former things pass away.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Non-christians reject Jesus, therefore they can't be "good" people..:)
Jesus said:- "Whoever rejects me rejects God" (Luke 10:16)
So they'll be in a world o' hurt-

rel god-point.jpg

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People who do not believe in Christ fail to bear good fruit to GOD.
If you do not bear good fruit, you will be cast away from Him and perish in the fire.

They might seem to bear good fruit to men by doing good works, but that is not helping them. If you do not gather with Christ, then you scatter.

The work of GOD is that you believe in HIM whom HE has sent.
So when yo do not believe, well there was no good fruit of the SPIRIT of God in your life.

John 6:28 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”
John 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
  1. Matthew 3:10
    And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Matthew 7:17
    Even so, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit.
  3. Matthew 7:18
    A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a bad tree bear good fruit.
  4. Matthew 7:19
    Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
  5. Matthew 13:23
    But he who received seed on the good ground is he who hears the word and understands it, who indeed bears fruit and produces: some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.”
  6. Mark 4:20
    But these are the ones sown on good ground, those who hear the word, accept it, and bear fruit: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.”
  7. Luke 3:9
    And even now the ax is laid to the root of the trees. Therefore every tree which does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.”
  8. Luke 6:43

A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit

“For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit.
  9. Luke 8:15
    But the ones that fell on the good ground are those who, having heard the word with a noble and good heart, keep it and bear fruit with patience.
  10. John 15:4
    Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruitof itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
  11. John 15:5
    “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
  12. John 15:8
    By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
  13. John 15:16
    You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.

Reactions: Patrick1966

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Thank you for taking your time to share God's words.

However, it remains my understanding and my belief that those in Christ immediately go to Heaven after dying.

I don't see anything that refutes that possibility, but I will continue to seek his word in order to improve my understanding. Thank you again, my brother.
No one has ever gone up to heaven but He Who came down from it, the son of man
All go to the same place
…and you and your sons will be here with me