Do We as Christians Keep the Mosaic Law?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Remember my original question, I am asking about judging another's walk (works), not theirs or my salvation.

The Holy Spirit is the author of the Law, does it not stand to reason we can know more about the Spirit by meditating on the Law and doing what Jesus commanded, to Love God (and God defines love as obeying Him)?

Got some scripture that you form your opinion on? I posted what Paul said in his letter to the believers at Galatia, do you interpret it differently than NLT?

Here's Paul's answer to your question above Andy.
But now we have been released from the law, for we died to it and are no longer captive to its power. Now we can serve God, not in the old way of obeying the letter of the law, but in the new way of living in the Spirit. Romans 7:6

Reactions: jiggyfly

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
Just jump ahead to verse 13a, "Did that which is good [speaking of the Law], then, become death to me? By no means!" Paul says the Law is good. The "old way" he is refering to is salvation by works (obedience). What we have now is works by salvation (see the book of James). I am to judge another's Christian walk not by their words but by their deeds, for many will say to Jesus "Lord, Lord" but He will reply, "I know you not".

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
I am to judge another's Christian walk not by their words but by their deeds, for many will say to Jesus "Lord, Lord" but He will reply, "I know you not".

Which Paul says is by the fruit of the Spirit, not the fruit of the law. But why do you feel the need to judge another's walk?

What scriptures do you form your opinion on?

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
2 Tim 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" How can we teach or rebuke or correct if we are not able to judge what kind of walk a fellow believer has?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If we are following Christ we will have no time to try keeping laws in our spare time. Laws are meant for the lawless. Following Christ fulfills the law.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
2 Tim 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness" How can we teach or rebuke or correct if we are not able to judge what kind of walk a fellow believer has?

I see no mention of the law here so what scriptures do you base your position on?

How do we follow Christ?

By the power of HolySpirit.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
So we've come full circle but the first question remains, "How are we to judge another's walk if not by the Law?"

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina
Partially, but the answer I am looking for is Scripture... is that a fair answer to give?
Sure it is, after all we're talking about how you support your belief/opinion. Are there any particular scriptures that indicate we know the Spirit by the law or by the scriptures?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The OP was "Do Christians Keep the Mosaic Law?"

IMO no...but we do keep the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus
Romans 8:1-4
8 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. [sup]2[/sup]For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. [sup]3 [/sup]For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, [sup]4[/sup]that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

...which Jesus explains in Matthew 22:37-40.
[sup]7 [/sup]Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ [sup]38[/sup]This is the first and great commandment.[sup]39 [/sup]And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ [sup]40 [/sup]On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

The first commandment speaks of our covenant relationship toward God.
The second encompasses the rest of the nine commandments -

Romans 13:9-10.
[sup]9 [/sup]For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,”“You shall not covet,” and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”[sup]10 [/sup]Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Therefore, love is the fulfillment of the law [of the Spirit]

Why do I believe that we do not keep the Mosaic law even though the Law of the Spirit seems to encompass the same law? ...because it could not be kept under the old covenant.

Romans 3:20
[sup]20 [/sup]Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

However, the bible says that the law is established by faith in Jesus Christ.

Romans 3
[sup]26 [/sup]to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
[sup]27 [/sup]Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. [sup]28 [/sup]Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law.

[sup]31[/sup]Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

So again, faith is also a fulfillment of the law [of the Spirit].

Blessings!!!

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
Matt. 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." How do we judge another's love if not by the Law?

As I think about this, what exactly are we supposed to be judging?

We judge the teacher by their fruit. Jesus said that.

What else to we judge?

If someone is in sin that we can see, what's to judge? You who are spiritual, restore them.

Paul said he doesn't even judge himself, not that that makes him justified, but that Jesus would judge when He returns.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
We can not judge the heart, that is reserved by God for Himself. However, we can and should judge ours (and others) actions/deeds/theology.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We died to the law,..

Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
(Rom 7:4)

so what now?

This...

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
(Gal 2:20-21)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I personally believe that the law still stands [that is the 10 commandments] but the regulations required in the OT law does not. The OT law was Holy. Romans 7:12.

The requirements and the law itself, have been fulfilled in Christ....and in Christ, these commandments have now been transferred onto our hearts and ministered to our conscience by the Holy Spirit. JMHO ^_^

Shalom!!!

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
I personally believe that the law still stands [that is the 10 commandments] but the regulations required in the OT law does not. The OT law was Holy. Romans 7:12.

The requirements and the law itself, have been fulfilled in Christ....and in Christ, these commandments have now been transferred onto our hearts and ministered to our conscience by the Holy Spirit. JMHO ^_^

Shalom!!!

Most people that call themselves Christian believe that they are still under the Law. That is because they mix the teachings of Jesus and the 12 with that of Paul. But no one can keep the Law, not even the 10 Commandments. Jesus was correct, there are none that are righteous before God by their own work (efforts).

Most religious people today believe they are good and righteous because of how they live. They refuse to see that those saved under grace have been given the righteousness of God "in Christ" because they believe the Gospel that Jesus (God) gave to Paul; belief, faith, trust, and confidence in Jesus' promise of salvation by His shed blood on the cross.

mark s

Nov 12, 2010
We can not judge the heart, that is reserved by God for Himself. However, we can and should judge ours (and others) actions/deeds/theology.

Could you give me a referrence on that? I want to make sure we're on the same page . . .

Love in Christ,
Mark