Do we need prophets, today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally believe that the day of the Lord was going to be upon them back in that day ~ Of the gathering of the first church - firstborn Christians in which all the letters were written to and all the people that were in addressed in those letter were all encouraged to be watchful and to be prepared for the the last days, last day, the time of the Lord was coming, quickly, shortly, soon, especially even more so at the final letter ~ Book Revelation ~

The time of the Lord was coming even more quickly to the point that the return was at hand.

This is where you have to decide for yourself what you are going to believe when it comes down to what is being read when it comes down to all of the letters from Romans, Thessalonians, Colossians, Ephesians, Hebrews, Revelation, Corinthians, Peter, James ~

All the books are like puzzle pieces that all fit into together like a hyperlinked chain.

Revelation 1: 1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto Him to show unto His servants things which must shortly come to pass. And He sent and signified it by His angel unto His servant John,

Now would like you to know @Waiting on him : I am not all that well verses, and everything in Revelation ~ This is just the view that has been brought forward to me.

If anything believe God and the Lord Jesus Christ over me ~ Cause people should follow God and the Lord Jesus Christ and never me ~ Though am not afraid to tell anyone my view ~ though am looked at as wrong when it comes down to these things which is okay.

:) Thank you for asking.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Day of the Lord:
Question: "What is the day of the Lord?"

Answer:
The phrase “day of the Lord” usually identifies events that take place at the end of history (Isaiah 7:18-25) and is often closely associated with the phrase “that day.” One key to understanding these phrases is to note that they always identify a span of time during which God personally intervenes in history, directly or indirectly, to accomplish some specific aspect of His plan.

Most people associate the day of the Lord with a period of time or a special day that will occur when God’s will and purpose for His world and for mankind will be fulfilled. Some scholars believe that the day of the Lord will be a longer period of time than a single day—a period of time when Christ will reign throughout the world before He cleanses heaven and earth in preparation for the eternal state of all mankind. Other scholars believe the day of the Lord will be an instantaneous event when Christ returns to earth to redeem His faithful believers and send unbelievers to eternal damnation.

The phrase “the day of the Lord” is used often in the Old Testament (e.g. Isaiah 2:12; 13:6, 9; Ezekiel 13:5, 30:3; Joel 1:15, 2:1,11,31; 3:14; Amos 5:18,20; Obadiah 15; Zephaniah 1:7,14; Zechariah 14:1; Malachi 4:5) and several times in the New Testament (e.g. Acts 2:20; 1 Corinthians 5:5; 2 Corinthians 1:14; 1 Thessalonians 5:2; 2 Thessalonians 2:2; 2 Peter 3:10). It is also alluded to in other passages (Revelation 6:17; 16:14).

Next page

Reactions: MatthewG

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Old Testament passages dealing with the day of the Lord often convey a sense of imminence, nearness, and expectation: “Wail, for the day of the Lord is near!” (Isaiah 13:6); “For the day is near, even the day of the Lord is near” (Ezekiel 30:3); “Let all who live in the land tremble, for the day of the Lord is coming. It is close at hand” (Joel 2:1); “Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision” (Joel 3:14); “Be silent before the Lord God! For the day of the Lord is near” (Zephaniah 1:7). This is because the Old Testament passages referring to the day of the Lord often speak of both a near and a far fulfillment, as does much of Old Testament prophecy. Some Old Testament passages that refer to the day of the Lord describe historical judgments that have already been fulfilled in some sense (Isaiah 13:6-22; Ezekiel 30:2-19; Joel 1:15, 3:14; Amos 5:18-20; Zephaniah 1:14-18), while others refers to divine judgments that will take place toward the end of the age (Joel 2:30-32; Zechariah 14:1; Malachi 4:1, 5).

The New Testament calls it a day of “wrath,” a day of “visitation,” and the “great day of God Almighty” (Revelation 16:14) and refers to a still future fulfillment when God’s wrath is poured out on unbelieving Israel (Isaiah 22; Jeremiah 30:1-17; Joel 1-2; Amos 5; Zephaniah 1) and on the unbelieving world (Ezekiel 38–39; Zechariah 14). The Scriptures indicate that “the day of the Lord” will come quickly, like a thief in the night (Zephaniah 1:14-15; 2 Thessalonians 2:2), and therefore Christians must be watchful and ready for the coming of Christ at any moment.

Besides being a time of judgment, it will also be a time of salvation as God will deliver the remnant of Israel, fulfilling His promise that “all of Israel will be saved” (Romans 11:26), forgiving their sins and restoring His chosen people to the land He promised to Abraham (Isaiah 10:27; Jeremiah 30:19-31, 40; Micah 4; Zechariah 13). The final outcome of the day of the Lord will be that “the arrogance of man will be brought low and the pride of men humbled; the Lord alone will be exalted in that day” (Isaiah 2:17). The ultimate or final fulfillment of the prophecies concerning the day of the Lord will come at the end of history when God, with wondrous power, will punish evil and fulfill all His promises.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul has shared some helpful information here about the ' Last days '

If you are curious to do your own study - About the last day, end of the age, last days, last day, last hour

Whatever you can think about dealing with the 'eschatology' side of things

Please feel free to do your own study

Last Days - Thompson Chain Reference -
Last Day, the - Thompson Chain Reference -
Day - Thompson Chain Reference -
Second Coming of Christ - Thompson Chain Reference -
Kingdom, Spiritual - Thompson Chain Reference -
Satan - Thompson Chain Reference - (This one even has textual references to Satan and his Defeat!

You can click for example - Choose a Letter -> L - You will see a list of words that are all found in the bible you can click -> Last days, the Last Day - and do an indepth study of those text.

There is a lot of helpful information out there - Thompson Chain study bible is one of the most helpful things that has ever been introduced to me.

Thank you for that information @Heart2Soul.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:15-21 KJV
[15] For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day. [16] But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; [17] And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: [18] And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: [19] And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: [20] The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: [21] And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.
Peter has clearly stated, the prophesy was fulfilled.
I thought so, too, at one point but this was corrected to me by someone on here. I can't remember who it was or what it was exactly, but maybe someone else knows.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

If you are curious to do your own study - About the last day, end of the age, last days, last day, last hour

Satan - Thompson Chain Reference - (This one even has textual references to Satan and his Defeat!

You can click for example - Choose a Letter -> L - You will see a list of words that are all found in the bible you can click -> Last days, the Last Day - and do an indepth study of those text.

There is a lot of helpful information out there - Thompson Chain study bible is one of the most helpful things that has ever been introduced to me.

That would be an eye opener.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I thought so, too, at one point but this was corrected to me by someone on here. I can't remember who it was or what it was exactly, but maybe someone else knows.
Many years ago I was putting all my faith and trust in men, when that failed...... I had no choice but to turn to God.

I pray this same fait befalls you.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many years ago I was putting all my faith and trust in men, when that failed...... I had no choice but to turn to God.

I did. God used someone to correct me and it turned out I was wrong. I don't have a problem with that.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Honestly I don't know what you're talking about but just to let you know your words are rash

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Be watching , for you know NOT the HOUR your LORD shall appear .
and by the signs of the times , we ought to be seeing the day approaching .
Who here is over forty . Can you all remember the world when you were children .
Was evil around . YES . BUT now not only has inquity been abounding , ITS BEING CELEBRATED and CELEBRATED WORLD WIDE .
Now let us remember this saying FROM GOD right before JUDGMENT FELL .
YE have become as SODOM unto me , Ye no longer EVEN HIDE YOUR SINS , YOU CELEBRATE THEM RIGHT IN THE STREETS .
I see lots of rainbow flags , lots of transgender etc , lots of its my body , AND RIGHT IN THE STREETS they celebrate it .
Used to be it was more hidden . NOT ANYMORE .
And now for another reminder , cause we in these days .
AND IF A MAN proclaims truth , he makes himself a prey . THEY HUNT for those who still speak truth .
WE have hit a massive reprobation and confusion of faces is upon the world .
SO let me leave us with this last reminder .
THE COMING OF THE LORD DOES DRAW NIGH . SURE DOES .

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice to have been able to share some of my views here; now going to unwatch the thread.

You all take care! Thank you again for the questions.

May God give the increase to your understanding of God's will, spiritual understanding, and wisdom and treasures found in God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ the Son of God.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You misunderstand the purpose God has for the 5 offices of the Church....as I said above, He is the one who established His Church and how He wants it to operate....removing any of those offices because you don't think we need them anymore is a HUGE offense to God and what He purposed for these offices....
The first split of the church happened because man decided how the church should operate and today we now have over 45,000 different denominations preaching the Gospel according to their understanding...
SMH.....when will man ever learn?
Send Your Spirit of revelation to us...open our hearts and our minds to Your word.
Help us to pray for those you put in positions of authority for our benefit. I ask, in Jesus' name, Amen

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I love this study Bible....joined up...scriptures are all there at one time referencing any given topic...cool

Reactions: MatthewG

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If that's the case....Could you explain to me why God appointed some with the gift of prophesy?
Simple. The Bible was not complete at that time, so prophets were bringing divine revelations to the churches. But Paul clearly stated "Are there prophecies, THEY SHALL CEASE". Why did Paul pick three specific spiritual gifts for cessation? Because they are all related to divine revelations. But after the Gospels, Acts, epistles, and Revelation were completed, there was no further need for prophets. We have everything in Scripture for life (including eternal life) and godliness.