Do we need prophets, today?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It doesn't negate prophecy in the end times as spoken by Joel and said in Acts.
Joel's prophecy was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost and until the end of the apostolic period. There were dreams, visions, and prophecies galore for about 70 years. There were prophets in the churches from AD 30 to AD 100.

And there is no need to change the meaning of what John said. He said nothing about "changing" what he wrote. He did say something about "adding" to what he wrote.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Simple. The Bible was not complete at that time, so prophets were bringing divine revelations to the churches. But Paul clearly stated "Are there prophecies, THEY SHALL CEASE". Why did Paul pick three specific spiritual gifts for cessation? Because they are all related to divine revelations. But after the Gospels, Acts, epistles, and Revelation were completed, there was no further need for prophets. We have everything in Scripture for life (including eternal life) and godliness.
This scripture doesn't say WHEN prophesies will cease....my understanding is that they will cease when all Bible prophesies have been fulfilled.

Sacred Word

Apr 24, 2021
NSW
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are still things to prophesy about. Prophets play an important role, but in a world lacking light, we don't know who to turn to.

Why not see the truth for yourself? Can't you judge the righteousness of a man, and his capacity for sound prophecy?

Let not the presence of the false prevent you from seeing the true.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"Are there prophecies, THEY SHALL CEASE".

Typical example of quoting a scripture out of context.
----------------------------------------------------------

First Corinthians 13:8–10: “Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please NOTE: " when completeness comes"

You think "completeness" has arrived already?

Last edited:
Reactions: Heart2Soul

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I was bit by a mosquito in the middle of March...in Canada!
I love B.C.

Mark Balicki

Jun 6, 2020
IRON MOUNTAIN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rarely watch videos posted on here but felt God telling me to give it a listen. Very good message.

The Bible states that he will pour his spirit out on his people in the last days. It would be foolish to believe that the end of days that God wouldn't speak through his people- considering that we know what the gift of prophecy is for - edifying and encouragement for building up the body of Christ before his return.

In the same way, the blank page in the Bible between the New Testament and the Old Testament represents 400 years of silence. Then suddenly, John the Baptist prepares the way.

If you believe in the end times, you must believe in prophecy.

I had a lot of struggle on my journey and I had a LOT of testing, so naturally I became a skeptic and labeling everything as evil, followed the Strange Fire thing for a while but later realized that I had to consider that teachers like John MacArthur and Todd Friel (sp?) were teaching something that is spoken in the Bible "Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

That is not to say that we shouldn't be careful that we aren't deceived because there is certainly a spiritual war at hand.

Be wise as serpents and gentle as doves; stand firm with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, tread carefully, and let your words be filled with wisdom and seasoned with grace.
I like your comment. Because at least you are open to these things. When I read some comments for this video and from others I also posted I imagine that some do not listen to the video, maybe can't or don't go on youtube. The few words I write is to hopefully to atract enough interest for you to listen. Like another video I posted about how I learn to cast demons.

When I post things it is not to poke at folks beliefs. Another way to explain it. It is like a person who becomes a mechanic who at one time can't afford to have someone fix his car and he does so successfully after some trial and error. Then others bring their broken cars and he begins helping others to fix their car and even teaches them what to do the next time. Then after time he eventually fixes more and more of them along the way learning more and more.

Then this mechanic goes on errand one day and ends up being surrounded by a group of other folks. And someone among them starts a conversation saying they have a problem with their broken car. Well they all listen, then all the other guys(or girls) proceed to tell this person what they think is wrong with their car. The mechanic who has fixed a lot of cars is listening to everyone and is realizing many of these people don't know what they are talking about. So knowing what the problem is he(her) interjects with a suggestion and one of the people wants to even argue their antidote. Sometimes that what it seems like to me on these blogs so I am happy when someone like you find something useful.

What is jist of this illustration? You realize many have ideas of how things work and even believe these things, but because of their lack of application to many things they think they know, but they have not learn from use. Now of course everyone is not going to learn to be a mechanic, but cars will continue to break and need to be fix and there will be those who do it. Good ones and bad ones. But it would be silly to think we do not need something because it doesn't appear to be a need to us. Yet, the fixing of cars has to go on by someone or calamity will happen and cars will come to a stand still not functioning or working right anymore. Oh, yeah just like today, this world and the people. Look at the world and the people around us and even the folks sitting in church, but living in sin yet many say the things we need passed away in the early church.

Paul said, Jesus(God) gave to the church apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers for the equipping of the saints. Who other than God should decide if we need them/or which ones or not. Well, it wasn't God but man who decided we don't need Jesus ministry in the earth the way He gave it. Just like men decided they did not need God's ministry brought through Moses and dismantled it making it hard for the people to know God because too many of those running it were corrupt. They added things God never asked them too and refashioned things to work for them. So, God came to earth Himself to established a new ministry through which we could know and be reconciled to God through. But just like then, so it is now men like having supremacy over each other and block the Lord's ministry to the people. You remember the rebuke he gave to the pharisees and sadducees in Jesus's hypocrite speech. He could be preaching that today to many who are in leadership in the church.

Men want to get rid of the first two the apostle and prophet, their teaching and the work they do because they are foundational gifts to keep people building on the foundation of Jesus Christ. Yes, there are false everything and we can know because they will try to get you to believe something that is not true. Like God doing away with some the spiritual gifts. They take a believing heart in Jesus to reform it in their own image moving to place of unbelief and error where you vulnerable. Don't worry they have the answer for you, but in the end it will cost you, but many them won't know because as you get tangled in sin and are crushed they go on seeking after new converts to take your place.

Just like you quoted, "having form of godliness but denying the power behind it". It is called rebellion. And the day of reckoning has come many will realize it soon as the things we have come to believe will be brought into the light to be proven. We will be called to account then we will know. By the way FluffyYellowDuck there are some other videos there where you watched that one that speak to this.
Thanks for taking time to post on this thread/post/video

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Typical example of quoting a scripture out of context.
----------------------------------------------------------

First Corinthians 13:8–10: “Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.”
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please NOTE: " when completeness comes"

You think "completeness" has arrived already?

I personally believe everything has been fulfilled completely.

Haha, this leaves me in a bind of course however it also a completely different view of scripture when looking and reading it. Believe there is a reasonable explaining for the verses of Revelation ~ Most people are already half-Pertrist just not full.

For me, my view allows for the fulfillment and all of the entirety of the bible completed and fulfilled by the Victor being The Lord Yeshua Christ who overcame the world, satan, death, grave, hell/she'ol.

That Satan has been defeated ~ And that Each and every person for the most part aside from some things (say mentally ill - mentally disabled) ~ everyone is responsible for themselves,

and should be ready for the second coming which is coming at the end of our life. ~Death

No apocolypse, No rapture, // (Guess rapture -> death end of life -> second coming -> you are a believer) Single rapture upon death?~

just death ~ of our life the last day of our life, we are going to be going to see God, all people will.

These are my own personal views and if you have a different view that is all fine and good.

Do you believe Jesus Christ is with you now? If the answer is yes, what are you waiting for exactly? would be two questions for those waiting for return.

Love you anyway, and no fight will you get from me. (Im just crazy and like to be crazy) :) God bless and may God give the increase, and receive the praise, not me.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord Yeshua Christ overcame the world...

That Satan has been defeated...

No apocalypse, No rapture

Greetings.

This is an interesting post. If you could, explain in what way specifically you think Satan has been defeated.

In Him,
Hidden

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Hidden In Him,

It was a promise that Satan would be defeated since Genesis

Defeat of Satan - Thompson Chain Reference -

Considering the contents of Revelation; He has been defeated.

My view -> considers all the context of Revelation to be completed ; Most people do not openly embrace full pretrism or whatever it is called ~Because its just to far out there~

To each their own @Hidden In Him : Hope these scriptures will help you understand why it seems okay to say "Satan has been defeated and overcome by the victor : the Lord Jesus Christ." :) Praise be to God, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

The only one that can be against us ; if God is already for us?

Ourselves. (Our responsibility) Towards God and his will, or Towards our Self and our own will.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just like men decided they did not need God's ministry brought through Moses and dismantled it making it hard for the people to know God because too many of those running it were corrupt. They added things God never asked them too and refashioned things to work for them. So, God came to earth Himself to established a new ministry through which we could know and be reconciled to God through. But just like then, so it is now men like having supremacy over each other and block the Lord's ministry to the people. You remember the rebuke he gave to the pharisees and sadducees in Jesus's hypocrite speech. He could be preaching that today to many who are in leadership in the church.

Wonderful paragraph. And the analogy towards the end is fitting, as anyone familiar with end-times prophecy will know. The false church consisting of most of mainline Christianity will unite with the Catholic Church, and they will persecute the faithful, and kill the true prophets of God as Revelation says they will.

But the Lord will raise up an army, led be leaders who will in effect lead a rebellion against the leadership of the false church, and these are those of whom it is said "I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh (i.e. faithful Christians, from youngest to oldest) and they will prophecy and dream dreams..."

I live for that day, and hope I will live to see it.
- H

Reactions: Mark Balicki

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was a promise that Satan would be defeated since Genesis

Defeat of Satan - Thompson Chain Reference -

I read your link. I will post the references in case you would like to go through them together, only you will find that while his defeat is promised, the only aspect of this that has been fulfilled so far is Christ Jesus leading captivity captive out of Sheol.

But it might prove to be an interesting discussion.

Genesis 3:15
Luke 4:13
John 12:30
John 12:31
John 14:30
2 Thessalonians 2:8
Hebrews 2:14
1 John 3:8
Revelation 20:10
Considering the contents of Revelation; He has been defeated.

My view -> considers all the context of Revelation to be completed ; Most people do not openly embrace full pretrism or whatever it is called ~Because its just to far out there~

I understand what you are saying here, only his defeat is predicated on the assumption that Revelation has been fulfilled. If this is not true, than neither is the premise.

I'm not a Preterist, I'm a Futurist. But the thing about my eschatology is that I believe in what is called Partial Fulfillment of Prophecy, with the ultimate fulfillment coming much later in human history. This is another discussion you might find interesting.

I will reserve going through the list with you unless you are interested. I sow seed as led, but don't force it down anyone's throat. Not my style. :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I read your link. I will post the references in case you would like to go through them together, only you will find that while his defeat is promised, the only aspect of this that has been fulfilled so far is Him leading captivity captive out of Sheol.

But it might prove to be an interesting discussion.

Genesis 3:15
Luke 4:13
John 12:30
John 12:31
John 14:30
2 Thessalonians 2:8
Hebrews 2:14
1 John 3:8
Revelation 20:10

I understand what you are saying here, only his defeat is predicted on the assumption that Revelation has been fulfilled. If this is not true, than neither is the premise.

I'm not a Preterist, I'm a Futurist. But the thing about my eschatology is that I believe in what is called Partial Fulfillment of Prophecy, with the ultimate fulfillment coming much later in human history. This is another discussion you might find interesting.

I will reserve going through the list with you unless you are interested. I sow seed as led, but don't force it down anyone's throat. Not my style. :)

Hello @Hidden In Him

Cool that is the Christ-Like way of handling situations brother, though am not very interested, am glad to see Christ through you.

Thank you for laying open your position, and just over all have a good day brother. :)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him

Discussions like this are boring on forums compared to real life... or atleast having active voices and listening to the person and understanding and knowing them

is so much better than this ... chit chat thinger, ~ Do use these things to try and help people with faith and encourage if possible but that is about it.

Not to deep on back and forth all that much.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him

Discussions like this are boring on forums compared to real life... or atleast having active voices and listening to the person and understanding and knowing them

is so much better than this ... chit chat thinger, ~ Do use these things to try and help people with faith and encourage if possible but that is about it.

Not to deep on back and forth all that much.

Well ok. :)

But now, the way you find out if your theology truly holds water is if you can put it up to scrutiny and see if it still withstands being dissected more minutely. That's actually the nice things about forums in a way. So long as things can be discussed in a Spirit of peace, it can educate you on many things; both those things you had right and those you had wrong.

But like I said, when it comes to teaching, I don't push myself on others.

Reactions: MatthewG