Do you believe biblically today, we should cause division?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to inner peace, one of the primary verses on this is, "You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Thee." It just means that if you keep your mindset focused on living for God, and continue seeing things from His eternal perspective, nothing will disturb your peace.

Hello HiddeninHim,

You are right about when you focus on him nothing will invoke your inner peace. However when the flesh arises it will cause distress and disturbance of the peace.

It’s good to be transparent and honest with oneself. As a Christian I still have disturbances within me but not as much as when my life was still in the pit of the grave being dead to spiritual things. I can be quick to think in my mind to down play another person, however my desire is not truly that within my heart and new inner being that is living by the spirit of Christ and Holy Spirit with-in me.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, no, no, no and Double No, LoL.

Hello Matthew, and hope you are well.

You are taking Luke 12:51 entirely out of context here. He is not talking about inner peace; He was talking about peace between families, such as between father and son, mother and daughter, etc.

51 Do you suppose that I came to give peace on earth? I tell you, not at all, but rather division. 52 For from now on five in one house will be divided: three against two, and two against three. 53 Father will be divided against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against her daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.”

And earth is the proper translation, because this principle still persists in the earth even among Gentile Christians to this day. Divisions are still being caused in the hone when someone comes to Christ. I had it happen in my own life, and had to distance myself from my mother and father for a time. My mother in particular did not approve of me giving my life to Christ, and cried about how she was "losing me." But as Christ Himself taught, "He who loves his father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me," which is why the parallel passage in Matthew reads:

34 “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; 36 and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’ 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it.

Hello HiddeninHim,

This is contrast as also the flesh vs the spirit. What do we put above God, our financial crisis, our work problems, lose of family members, sickness of family, in all of these things are as tough as some of them can be are we not still to be thankful to God because of the love that he had shown us by sending his son to die on the cross, to die for all ungodly people? To be thankful for the newness of life in the resurrection? To praise God first even through the distressing times that may arise?

I am reminded of Paul when he wrote to the Phillipians, and the man hard already went through so much, even unto the point of death.

“for nothing be anxious, but in everything by prayer, and by supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known unto God; and the peace of God, that is surpassing all understanding, shall guard your hearts and your thoughts in Christ Jesus.”
‭‭Philippians‬ ‭4:6-7‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Thank you for sharing your experience with your mother, with us.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello HiddeninHim,

You are right about when you focus on him nothing will invoke your inner peace. However when the flesh arises it will cause distress and disturbance of the peace.

It’s good to be transparent and honest with oneself. As a Christian I still have disturbances within me but not as much as when my life was still in the pit of the grave being dead to spiritual things.

If I may, what sort of disturbances?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Inner hate (this has gone way down since coming to Christ) though it still lingers in my flesh and pops up from time to time. Inner annoyances that can be caused others. They are all natural, everyone has them. In these times I refer back to God and ask him to hold my flesh back and as a Christian for the past several years I’ve learned a lot about my flesh and know that everyone is capable of doing it.

@Hidden In Him do you also have these times within your show up in your flesh?

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ScottA,

Your comment reminds me of what Jesus had said about picking up the cross and dying daily to the old man, and being buried and resurrected with Christ living in the new inner man or inner woman (if a woman is reading this), with new spiritual life.

The only verse I can think of about dying daily isn't about "to the old man" but refers to actual physical death in prison. We do not die to the old man daily. Our old man has been crucified with Christ, and makes us free from sin. Romans 6:6-7. It appears you may be in one of those klarge cults that twists the gospel of Christ from freeing us from sin, to merely covering our sins while we still commit them. Even a large modern denomination can be nothing more than a cult full of itching ears and feel apathetic about your sin, and whose doctrines are against sinlessness.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him do you also have these times within you show up in your flesh?

Well, it may not be quite what you are talking about with your situation. As far as forum life goes, I used to get goaded into manifesting serious displays of temper. But these days, while the temper is still there, I don't respond in sin. I may in my private life a little still. I got upset at the television networks a few weeks ago because they wouldn't switch to the Rams/ 49ers game to see if my team (not in that game) would make the playoffs. They kept it on my stupid game which was already a foregone conclusion, and it kept dragging out with penalties and other nonsense until I was yelling at the screen that someone at FOX or CBS needed to be FIRED for it. LoL.

But these days, I nearly always keep my anger under control, so honestly I'm doing better than I once did.

When you say inner hate, what kind of thoughts are you talking about?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Then said Jesus to his disciples, ‘If any one doth will to come after me, let him disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me, for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoever may lose his life for my sake shall find it, for what is a man profited if he may gain the whole world, but of his life suffer loss? or what shall a man give as an exchange for his life?”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭16:24-26‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Matthew 16:24-26 Then said Jesus to his disciples, ‘If any one doth will to come after me, let him disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me, for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoeve | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now

“And he said unto all, ‘If any one doth will to come after me, let him disown himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me; for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoever may lose his life for my sake, he shall save it; for what is a man profited, having gained the whole world, and having lost or having forfeited himself?
‭‭Luke‬ ‭9:23-25‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Luke 9:23-25 And he said unto all, ‘If any one doth will to come after me, let him disown himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me; for whoever may will to save his life, shall lose it, and whoever may | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now

“And having called near the multitude, with his disciples, he said to them, ‘Whoever doth will to come after me — let him disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me; for whoever may will to save his life shall lose it; and whoever may lose his life for my sake and for the good news' sake, he shall save it; for what shall it profit a man, if he may gain the whole world, and forfeit his life? Or what shall a man give as an exchange for his life?”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭8:34-37‬ ‭YLT98‬‬
Mark 8:34-37 And having called near the multitude, with his disciples, he said to them, ‘Whoever doth will to come after me — let him disown himself, and take up his cross, and follow me; for whoever may will to s | Young's Literal Translation 1898 (YLT98) | Download The Bible App Now

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, it may not be quite what you are talking about with your situation. As far as forum life goes, I used to get goaded into manifesting serious displays of temper. But these days, while the temper is still there, I don't respond in sin. I may in my private life a little still. I got upset at the television networks a few weeks ago because they wouldn't switch to the Rams/ 49ers game to see if my team (not in that game) would make the playoffs. They kept it on my stupid game which was already a foregone conclusion, and it kept dragging out with penalties and other nonsense until I was yelling at the screen that someone at FOX or CBS needed to be FIRED for it. LoL.

But these days, I nearly always keep my anger under control, so honestly I'm doing better than I once did.

When you say inner hate, what kind of thoughts are you talking about?

Thank you for being honest about your temper, people will get upset or frustrated at those things you mentioned, your not alone in that.

I don’t have hate as much as it is annoyances.
If I’m at a place working and everyone is trying to sleep and you have someone who is making a lot of loud noises and could possibly disturb others that is something that annoying, or when people course jester with me in what I would deem improper like for example.

When saying hello to someone, and someone interjects (Don’t say hi to him he doesn’t like you) that annoys me, I hate that type of approach when someone butts in to conversation and it’s something negative on top of it. I’m guilty of doing it before to someone though I’m sure of it, having not had God in my life for 26 years. I’m 30 going on 31 now.

Forgiveness, mercy as the Lord had forgiveness upon me by the spirit is always needed towards all people it’s difficult to deny ourselves and let the spirit lead.

I use to hate people to the point of having thoughts in my head of murdering. One is that of my mother. I’ve told her these things to her in the flesh already many times of those thoughts that use to plague my mind when I was a teenager growing up.

A lot of people may have these thoughts every now and then especially if they are frustrated or upset, and mad and do not have and have not had the light of God really shine in their life.

My life was shrouded in darkness from not having anyone to really teach me anything about God at all, though I heard about Jesus I never understood who he was until the age of 26.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t have hate as much as it is annoyances.
If I’m at a place working and everyone is trying to sleep and you have someone who is making a lot of loud noises and could possibly disturb others that is something that annoying, or when people course jester with me in what I would deem improper like for example.

When saying hello to someone, and someone interjects (Don’t say hi to him he doesn’t like you) that annoys me, I hate that type of approach when someone butts in to conversation and it’s something negative on top of it. I’m guilty of doing it before to someone though I’m sure of it, having not had God in my life for 26 years. I’m 30 going on 31 now.

This all sounds normal.
I use to hate people to the point of having thoughts in my head of murdering.

This doesn't, but I am glad the Lord is helping you distance yourself from it. That's a sign of spiritual growth.

Yeah, about the other stuff and people just being inconsiderate and rude, that's stuff we all face. I never like it when I extend a greeting to someone and they extend nothing in return either. It's not the way the kingdom of God operates. But I've come to understand that many people are not members of the kingdom, and they do not have the same Spirit within them that dwells within me. In fact, many have a spirit that hates the Spirit in me, so it will drive them to act accordingly without them even consciously realizing it.

Just stuff you have to grow used to, brother. In fact, it's generally a good sign in some ways, so long as you can control you anger. It means you are sensitive of heart, which is a good thing in the kingdom of God. You just can't let the enemy turn into into something evil by getting to you.

GG. I need to eat some dinner. God bless, and thanks for sharing your personal life. Being transparent is another good sign concerning you. :)
- H

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we have the Spirit of God within us then we are united by that Spirit. That is what we should concentrate on. Obviously we differ in our opinions and in what we have been taught and also in what we have received but basically if the same Spirit is in us then there should be harmony of sorts.
Paul said Christians are to be united on every last doctrinal point. Not some, not most, not a few. There is absolutely 0 room for personal opinions in true Christianity because a Christian is supposed to believe what God says, not personal opinions. If someone disagrees with anything God revealed in the Bible, it's because they are most likely not a Christian.

Paul was emphatically clear in his teaching about God's Church being like body parts that are completely co-operative, and i smh every time someone act as if Christians can disagree on doctrinal matters and still be following God. On that basis alone, such people are blatantly calling God a liar because the 1st century apostles definitely didn't preach that nonsense. The fact that "Christians" around here think that their personal opinions carry more weight than the Bible says a lot about how they think the Bible is supposed to support what they want to believe instead of conforming their beliefs to what God says in the Bible.

Keiw

Jan 17, 2022
upstate NY
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Luke 12:51, John 7:43, John 9:16, John 10:19, 1 Corinthinans 12:25;

All of these passages have something to deal with division.

The first one is Jesus stating: Luk_12:51 'Think ye that peace I came to give in the earth? no, I say to you, but rather division;

Now many attribute the use of earth here by Jesus; as in He was suggesting do you believe I have came to give peace in the earth. In which people can use this scripture to say. Look Jesus Christ did not bring peace peace to earth.

If you go do a word study on this word it's ge' (g1093), and it has 5 definitions to choose from.

The one that I will choose to use here that I believe best fits this scripture, is a country, a land, a territory and that will be in the land, country, and territory in Jerusalem.

Therefore it would read out that Think you that peace I cam to give in the country or land of Israel? No, I say to you rather division.

Why? Jesus Christ was a rock of offense to many of the Jewish brothers of his that looked down on and hated him. Jesus had come forth bring forth a division in which pertained in my own understanding a division between a people who were not of God; though they professed and had a zeal for God, and a division between a people who were true believers of God and that they were written before the foundation of the world into the Lambs Book of Life.

There would be a division that would arise because of Jesus Christ.

Did Jesus bring peace? He most certainly did, in Romans 5:1, Philippians 4:5-8, you can read in how that we can have peace with God as believers.

Though unbelievers will not have peace, because they have made the choice not to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

They may be constantly always trying to chase other things rather than seeking after God, having yet to be born again.

You have many more instants of this case: John 7:43, John 9:16, John 10:19. These were all division amongst that Jewish people, who were no believers in Christ and rejected him.

1 Corinthians 12:25 is different though: It is a message to believers to let their be no division among yourself and other believers (Paul mentions in 2 Corinthians 13:5-6 how believers are to examine themselves individually if they are in the faith or not).

Therefore as Christians are we meant to now today cause division among other individuals or are we to try and have love for God, and love for others as we traverse in this life day by day, trying to die daily and live by the spirit to have compassion, mercy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, gentleness, that is all spirit lead in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ having peace with God?

Thereis no division in the religion that Jesus is the head of. 1Cor 1:10) He started1 religion. 1 Religion is all that he is with. Yet there are 34,000 of them to choose from=division=a mass of confusion. How does one pick the 1?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Luke 12:51, John 7:43, John 9:16, John 10:19, 1 Corinthinans 12:25;

All of these passages have something to deal with division.

The first one is Jesus stating: Luk_12:51 'Think ye that peace I came to give in the earth? no, I say to you, but rather division;

Now many attribute the use of earth here by Jesus; as in He was suggesting do you believe I have came to give peace in the earth. In which people can use this scripture to say. Look Jesus Christ did not bring peace peace to earth.

If you go do a word study on this word it's ge' (g1093), and it has 5 definitions to choose from.

The one that I will choose to use here that I believe best fits this scripture, is a country, a land, a territory and that will be in the land, country, and territory in Jerusalem.

Therefore it would read out that Think you that peace I cam to give in the country or land of Israel? No, I say to you rather division.

Why? Jesus Christ was a rock of offense to many of the Jewish brothers of his that looked down on and hated him. Jesus had come forth bring forth a division in which pertained in my own understanding a division between a people who were not of God; though they professed and had a zeal for God, and a division between a people who were true believers of God and that they were written before the foundation of the world into the Lambs Book of Life.

There would be a division that would arise because of Jesus Christ.

Did Jesus bring peace? He most certainly did, in Romans 5:1, Philippians 4:5-8, you can read in how that we can have peace with God as believers.

Though unbelievers will not have peace, because they have made the choice not to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

They may be constantly always trying to chase other things rather than seeking after God, having yet to be born again.

You have many more instants of this case: John 7:43, John 9:16, John 10:19. These were all division amongst that Jewish people, who were no believers in Christ and rejected him.

1 Corinthians 12:25 is different though: It is a message to believers to let their be no division among yourself and other believers (Paul mentions in 2 Corinthians 13:5-6 how believers are to examine themselves individually if they are in the faith or not).

Therefore as Christians are we meant to now today cause division among other individuals or are we to try and have love for God, and love for others as we traverse in this life day by day, trying to die daily and live by the spirit to have compassion, mercy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, gentleness, that is all spirit lead in faith in the Lord Jesus Christ having peace with God?
Should we compromise with the devil to achieve unity?

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, there's plenty of division in this world already. I think I'm suppose to be a beacon of peace.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
:D:( Tru dat brother...only God can soften the hearts of stone...
And even God cannot do it if a person does not open his door when the Master knocks. Such is what men call free will: the ability to oppose God.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And even God cannot do it if a person does not open his door when the Master knocks. Such is what men call free will: the ability to oppose God.

Amen brother, I didn't choose to be an Armenian... :D Ruh-roh, wonder in LLS will see that one :eek::D

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me, there's plenty of division in this world already. I think I'm suppose to be a beacon of peace.
We all are, but considering what unbelievers see in too many bearing the label of Christian, one may understand why they are Not attracted to the churches. Where is Christ in us?

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" Col. 1:27

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt 5:14-16

Abigail

Jan 29, 2022
Brookside
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all are, but considering what unbelievers see in too many bearing the label of Christian, one may understand why they are Not attracted to the churches. Where is Christ in us?

"To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:" Col. 1:27

"Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matt 5:14-16
Isn't their not being attracted to the churches because they are unbelievers? 1 Corinthians 1:18

Reactions: farouk