Do you believe Jesus has given you the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Then give all of the quote, with just where we can find it. [/SIZE]
Ephesians 1

Are you actually reading what I post?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ephesians 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

There ya go!!!

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
Ephesians 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:
2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ.
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
13 In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
14 Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.
15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

There ya go!!!
[SIZE=16pt]Anyone can post out of context scripture, and say there you go. [/SIZE]
justaname said:
Ephesians 1

Are you actually reading what I post?
[SIZE=16pt]Yes but out of context scripture does not tell anyone anything.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Have you been able to refute the scripture that has been quoted by me?[/SIZE]

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]Anyone can post out of context scripture, and say there you go. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Yes but out of context scripture does not tell anyone anything.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Have you been able to refute the scripture that has been quoted by me?[/SIZE]
I am not looking to refute Scripture...

I have posted the Ephesians Scripture, in full context, and shown where the Holy Spirit indwells upon belief. You teach something different than Scripture.

Why?

Reactions: aspen

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was just answering your question. You asked where vs 13 was at. So I posted it. It's not out of context. It was answering your question, John.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
justaname said:
Johnlove,

I will slow this way down for now concentrating on Scripture.

You have said that you proved me wrong with the above verse...yet John 14:21 speaks of God's love not the Indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Your haughty spirit precedes your false teachings...
This is Scripture....

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.
Ephesians 1:13-14

Scripture teaches we are sealed upon belief guaranteeing our inheritance until we acquire possession.

You teach if we are good enough for long enough we will then receive the Holy Spirit...

Then once we receive the Holy Spirit we will never sin again.

This is not what Scripture teaches. Scripture never proves Scripture wrong, nor does the Holy Spirit teach or correct in that manner. The Holy Spirit gently corrects in love.

Please speak to the Scripture and tell me where it is wrong. I am not asking for your interpretation of a different Scripture that you believe disproves this Scripture I presented. Speak to this particular Scripture.
[SIZE=16pt]When one receives the Holy Spirit and does not obey the Holy Spirit, it is over.[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, if that's correct, John, if you slip up, and sin in the slightest, say... tomorrow, then you have wasted the last 40 years? Is that what you are saying?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Johnlove said:
[SIZE=16pt]When one receives the Holy Spirit and does not obey the Holy Spirit, it is over.[/SIZE]
I already know this is your teaching, but lets go back to that same verse in Ephesians 1

13 In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit,
14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory.

This says the Holy Spirit indwells upon belief, we are sealed, and is the guarantee of our inheritance. God guarantees our inheritance with His Spirit...

Again Scripture teaches something completely different than you...

Why?

Reactions: Born_Again

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John, the way you portray scripture does not always give me the picture of a perfect loving God. I don't understand where you get this from. You seem to say that there are no 2nd chances. Look at something as simple as Jonah. He ran from God. Literally tried to escape Him and hopped a boat. After the 3 days and 3 nights, God gave him a 2nd chance to go to Nineveh. Its called mercy and compassion. But you describe an entirely different God. He seems more scornful coming from your posts. Why?

Jonah 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 Now the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.
4 But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
5 Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
6 So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
7 And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
8 Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
9 And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
10 Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him. Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the Lord, because he had told them.
11 Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
12 And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
13 Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.
14 Wherefore they cried unto the Lord, and said, We beseech thee, O Lord, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O Lord, hast done as it pleased thee.
15 So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
16 Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the Lord, and made vows.
17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting conversation........seems to me that it is impossible to decipher the words of the Holy Spirit from private interpretation without a comparison to scripture. Great verses Justaname and perfectly in context. You practically included the entire letter, lol.

Thanks to both you and Born again.....great job

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
John, the way you portray scripture does not always give me the picture of a perfect loving God. I don't understand where you get this from. You seem to say that there are no 2nd chances. Look at something as simple as Jonah. He ran from God. Literally tried to escape Him and hopped a boat. After the 3 days and 3 nights, God gave him a 2nd chance to go to Nineveh. Its called mercy and compassion. But you describe an entirely different God. He seems more scornful coming from your posts. Why?

Jonah 1 King James Version (KJV)
1 Now the word of the Lord came unto Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3 But Jonah rose up to flee unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them unto Tarshish from the presence of the Lord.
4 But the Lord sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
5 Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man unto his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
6 So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
7 And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
8 Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? what is thy country? and of what people art thou?
9 And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
10 Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him. Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the Lord, because he had told them.
11 Then said they unto him, What shall we do unto thee, that the sea may be calm unto us? for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous.
12 And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.
13 Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.
14 Wherefore they cried unto the Lord, and said, We beseech thee, O Lord, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O Lord, hast done as it pleased thee.
15 So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
16 Then the men feared the Lord exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice unto the Lord, and made vows.
17 Now the Lord had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.
[SIZE=16pt]First of all Scripture is telling us that there is only one chance for those who have been given the knowledge of the truth.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Before Jesus came and gave us his Holy Spirit there was no way one could defeat Satan/sin. God was much more forgiving for those people. Paul explained that in Romans seven, then in Romans eight he explained how God made it possible for one to never sin again. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]That is how we can defeat Satan/sin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus told us that blaspheming the Holy Spirit was an unforgivable sin.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]A person has been given the knowledge of the truth was given that knowledge by the Holy Spirit. Such a person has told God/Holy Spirit that they love him.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]When such a person deliberately commits he is telling God that no he or she loves the devil.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Such an act by a spiritual Christian is blaspheming the Holy Spirit. Insulting the Holy Spirit is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt](Acts 5:1-11) The Fraud of Ananias and Sapphira: Peter said they were lying to the Holy Spirit so I would say they were filled with the Holy Spirit, and knew God. This Scripture illustrates what happens when a person who knows God willfully and deliberately commit a sin. Of course it isn’t always a physical death, but it is death. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I have posted all the scripture that tells us a Christian does not sin. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]People don’t truly want to stop sinning. If people wanted to stop sinning Jesus made it possible for that to be done.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]People seem to want to make scripture that says there is no lasting punishment for disobeying God. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]That thinking may give some peace here on earth, but that peace will be shattered when they meet Jesus on the last day. [/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Much more forgiving? The flood? The plagues? The old testement has ten times more the turmoil and punishment then the New Testament. That does not add up. I'm not a scholar, but I can compare.

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
Much more forgiving? The flood? The plagues? The old testement has ten times more the turmoil and punishment then the New Testament. That does not add up. I'm not a scholar, but I can compare.
[SIZE=16pt]You have missed my message.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]God will not hold the people who disobeyed him, before he came, to as severe a punishment.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Dying here is not the punishment one has to fear.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]If you read scripture Jesus tells us that.[/SIZE]

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am aware of spiritual death as well. I was commenting on your statement of God being more forigiving.... If He took the time to wipe out the earth, aside from the collateral damage, I doubt He let many of those who were on Earth into the Kingdom. What version of the Bible do you site as your source? If I may?

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
Born_Again said:
I am aware of spiritual death as well. I was commenting on your statement of God being more forigiving.... If He took the time to wipe out the earth, aside from the collateral damage, I doubt He let many of those who were on Earth into the Kingdom. What version of the Bible do you site as your source? If I may?
[SIZE=16pt]I personally like the Jerusalem Bible. But often use New Jerusalem Bible, New American Bible, New International Bible, and will even use the KJV if needed. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Let me give you scripture that tells us that those who sin after Jesus came, will be punished more severally. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](Matthew 11:21-24) “21 'Alas for you, Chorazin! Alas for you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles done in you had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. Still, I tell you that it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on Judgment Day than for you. And as for you, Capernaum, did you want to be raised as high as heaven? You shall be flung down to hell. For if the miracles done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have been standing yet. Still, I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on Judgment Day than for you.'”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Matthew[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; fear him rather who can destroy both body and [/SIZE][SIZE=16pt]soul[/SIZE] [SIZE=16pt]in hell.[/SIZE]

Axehead

May 9, 2012
John,

You have lost another person to converse with in me and I will tell you why. You are quick to assume what a person means by the scriptures they present and then you are quick to judge people to have false spirits. The other, very glaring thing is that you set yourself up as one that knows all the truth and you do this without compassion or understanding. Summed up, this all equals someone that spiritually abuses others and I won't be part of that. I know very well when someone is engaging in the spiritual abuse of others. You have supplied this site with many examples.

Axehead

Reactions: Born_Again

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
justaname said:
EPHESIANS 1:
[SIZE=12pt]Greeting[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]to the saints who are in Ephesus, and faithful in Christ Jesus[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]2 Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Redemption in Christ[/SIZE]
3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love 5He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, 6to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. 7In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace 8which He lavished on us. In all wisdom and insight 9He made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His kind intention which He purposed in Him 10with a view to an administration suitable to the fullness of the times, that is, the summing up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth. In Him 11also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 12to the end that we who were the first to hope in Christ would be to the praise of His glory. 13In Him, you also, after listening to the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation—having also believed, you were sealed in Him with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14who is given as a pledge of our inheritance, with a view to the redemption of God’s own possession, to the praise of His glory.
Please excuse the interruption, but ...

Again, please everyone notice that Paul was writing ONLY to the FAITHFUL.

If that was anything like today's churches, poor Paul was only writing to about
... what? 5%?, 10%? of da peoples ... let's have a poll.

Meanwhile, one of the many qualifications required to be "in Him"
is to be walking in the Spirit (and not in the flesh).

Yessirree, Satan is alive and well on planet earth ...
teaching many very wonderful and popular but false doctrines to unsuspecting believers,
who are pastored by "hirelings" (and not shepherds).

Johnlove

Jul 1, 2014
Wilson, NC
evangelist-7 said:
Please excuse the interruption, but ...

Again, please everyone notice that Paul was writing ONLY to the FAITHFUL.

If that was anything like today's churches, poor Paul was only writing to about
... what? 5%?, 10%? of da peoples ... let's have a poll.
[SIZE=16pt]Notice that Paul was speaking to those in Christ?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]For one to be in Christ he or she has to walk/do as Jesus did.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]Jesus obeyed all the Commandments of the Father, and Jesus did not sin.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 3:5-6) “Now you know that he appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen him or known him.”[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt](1 John 2:6) “But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him.[/SIZE][SIZE=16pt] This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did” [/SIZE]