Do you belong to "the [true] Church" (1 Tim 3:15)?, if so, how do you prove it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The one True Church is concerned with Truth:

Mat_22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
Mar_12:24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?
Mar_12:27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Luk_7:43 Simon answered and said, I suppose that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast rightly judged.​
Not the SDA churh ive met far to many of you, always deceitful, using the bible and scripture to defend a like, is that not Hypocrisy.??

Act 7:46 Who found favour before God, and desired to find a tabernacle for the God of Jacob.
Act 7:47 But Solomon built him an house.
Act 7:48 Howbeit the most High dwelleth not in temples made with hands; as saith the prophet,
Act 7:49 Heaven is my throne, and earth is my footstool: what house will ye build me? saith the Lord: or what is the place of my rest?
Act 7:50 Hath not my hand made all these things?
Act 7:51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

Thngs dont change

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are in error and deceived:

Joh_7:10 But when his brethren were gone up, then went he also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.

Luk 24:15 And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
Luk 24:16 But their eyes were holden that they should not know him.

Joh_20:14 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

Joh_21:4 But when the morning was now come, Jesus stood on the shore: but the disciples knew not that it was Jesus.

Mar_15:3 And the chief priests accused him of many things: but he answered nothing.​

You know not the pattern, nor the timing of when to speak (Ecclesiastes 3), nor to keep silence.

Ecc 3:1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

Ecc 3:7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;​

Silence is sometimes 'golden', in the proper sphere. It is no admission of guilt of anything. It is not evil necessarily.

I have stated on numerous occasions that I am Seventh-day Adventist, when asked, and sometimes not when asked. It is not secret to those who bother to read my other responses. I was not always Seventh-day Adventist. I heeded the voice of the True Shepherd and came out of Babylon that Great Whore - Roman Catholicism, into the one True Church - the Seventh-day Adventist movement.
Well maybe its time you left it the whore and be joined to your Husband Jesus. You do know that a woman - you his bride has is joined to another woman, mens church, it is a homosexual affair and that is an abomination, im sure you are aware of that. Be careful whom you call deceived you know not of what you speak.

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are in error and deceived:

Heb 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Heb_12:23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,​

Act_7:38 This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:

see also the so-called septuaginta (OT) uses of ecclesia also - Kata Biblon Wiki Lexicon - ἐκκλησία - assembly (n.)
1Co 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

Rev 12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:
Rev 12:2 And she being with child cried, travailing in birth, and pained to be delivered.
Rev 12:3 And there appeared another wonder in heaven; and behold a great red dragon, having seven heads and ten horns, and seven crowns upon his heads.
Rev 12:4 And his tail drew the third part of the stars of heaven, and did cast them to the earth: and the dragon stood before the woman which was ready to be delivered, for to devour her child as soon as it was born.​
That Woman in Revelation 12:1 is the OT "church", before Jesus was come in the likeness of sinful (fallen) flesh - http://sdamaranathachurch.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Revelation-12-–-The-Great-Controversy.pptx

Refuse this at your own peril. The deception upon you is most powerful, but it is self chosen.

I didn't say Abel was not a believer in God. I said he was not part of the Church of Jesus Christ. (Heb. 12:23) does speak to the Church. So? (Acts 7:37-38) was Israel. The church in the wilderness was Israel. It was not the Church of Jesus Christ. Just because the word 'church' is used doesn't make it the Church of Jesus Christ. (1 Cor. 10:11) is a good verse and true. They were examples for the Church. But they were not the Church of Jesus Christ.

The Old Testament church is Israel. The woman in (Rev. 12) is Israel.

Stranger

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone has been influenced by the doctrines of Seventh-Day Adventism but doesn't any longer set foot in a building designated as a church by the Seventh-Day Adventists, are they a part of the true church, in your opinion, @ReChoired?
"Influenced by the doctrines" of "Seventh-day Adventism" does not make one a Seventh-day Adventist. To actually be a Seventh-day Adventist, one must go far beyond mere profession, or knowledge. A Seventh-day Adventist doesn't necessarily need any physical man-made structure to worship or gather in, as the example in the OT and NT, allows for worship and gathering in God's nature (Adam in the Garden, Genesis 1-2; Israel of old, 1 Corinthians 10, or even in the days of Paul, Acts 16:13, or John on Patmos, Revelation 1:1). It is not the man-made structure that comprises the "one True Church". Those who think so, have become confused as to what does constitute the "one True Church" and need to be guided back to the light of scripture (Isaiah 8:20).

As stated, the "One True Church" is comprised of members "visible" and "invisible" as already noted (Colossians 1:16). The "One True Church" is "visible" (Song Of Solomon 8:5; Revelation 12:17), even though some of her members are at present "invisible" and are in the fallen churches (and need to be called out, Revelation 18:4).

A person can be at present a "Roman Catholic" (etc., and know nothing about Seventh-day Adventist) and still be a member of the body of Christ Jesus (for they are walking in the light they presently have). It doesn't mean that they are in the "One True Church" however. The two things are separate and distinct from the other.

My opinion means nothing.

Only "It is written ..." means everything.

Last edited:

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well maybe its time you left it the whore and be joined to your Husband Jesus. You do know that a woman - you his bride has is joined to another woman, mens church, it is a homosexual affair and that is an abomination, im sure you are aware of that. Be careful whom you call deceived you know not of what you speak.
Again, you are in error and deceived, for sister White received the gift of Prophecy, known as the "Spirit of Prophecy" (Revelation 19:10), which is not the testimony of sister White, but rather the "testimony of Jesus Christ" (Revelation 12:17, 19:10, etc), and therefore I am (and all true Seventh-day Adventists are) joined unto Him, for we follow His voice.

For instance, Miriam, being a prophetess (Exodus 15:20), does not mean that Israel joined themselves unto a 'woman', but rather that those who obeyed that which was spoken by her, by that same gift of the spirit of prophecy (testimony of Jesus) were joined unto the Head - The Son of God.

The same goes for Deborah, being a prophetess (Judges 4:4), Huldah the prophetess (2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chronicles 34:22), the wife of Isaiah, being a prophetess (Isaiah 8:3) and Anna the prophetess (Luke 2:36) or Philips four daughters (Acts 21:9) and all such 'daughters' who truly prophesy for Jesus (Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17).

However, there is one that "calleth herself a prophetess" (and not so ordained by God, choosing instead to call herself that, in fact Vaticanus means 'to prophesy' - What does the word Vatican mean? ), in Revelation 2:20. She claims to "take the place' of 'Christ on earth' ((Latin) Vicarivs Christi; (koine Greek) Anti Christos), and thus all joined unto her have such an illegal union that you speak of.

Last edited:

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are the clear identifying marks of the true church as they are found in scripture?

Galatians 3:29
"And if ye be Christ’s, then are ye Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise"

The True Church is Abraham's Seed. Always has been, always will be.

The Gentiles are grafted into it...

Romans 11:17
"And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree"

Don't forget what happens to those that 'boast'.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ellen G. White is the woman of Revelation 12?

Well asked! :D

This is a silly thread .." some people" will get a big surprise when they actually "Get There" and find "the halt and the lame have gone on before them" .

At least I now know for sure that the SDA have the same spirit of arrogance upon them as the Calvinists do!!! Until now I hadn't thought so.
ie:- "WE , and we only are the special ones and we alone are 'doing it right' :rolleyes:

case in point -
Luke 18
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. "

....H

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is what John said of those who leave faith in Jesus Christ.

Paul himself left the community of the apostles on not a few occasions; but he was an apostle himself.

They sent him out to bring the gospel where it had never before been preached. He went into geographical areas where the gospel was basically unknown; away from the community of those who met on a regular basis to congregate around the word.

And I do believe that you are a catholic; but I also classify Catholicism as being cult-like in that it teaches that only those who are in the fold of Catholicism have salvation. In some places it teaches that; in others it teaches the opposite.

It follows that those who are wrapped up in the cult will believe that if they leave it they are outside of the realm of God's favour.

But it is not any specific denomination (including Catholicism) that holds a monopoly on the truth and/or salvation for those who remain within its fold; but the Bible teaches us that faith in Jesus Christ is all that is needed for salvation (for example, John 6:47).

Therefore, 1 John 2:19 is not speaking of those who leave the fold of Catholicism; and neither is it speaking of those who leave a particular church to go to another; but it is speaking of those who leave the fold of Christianity itself: in order for the verse to apply, you would have to stop believing in Jesus Christ.

In the days of John the majority of the time that someone left faith in Jesus they also left off from fellowship with the believers in Christ in their area. And therefore it is true that if they went out from them it is very likely that they were not of them; however there are exceptions to this rule; which I have mentioned above.

Agree. Anyone who believes that they are exclusive will have to give an answer in the judgment because it already shows that their hearts are wrong and they haven't " taken the lowest place" but have exalted themselves.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Again, you are in error and deceived, for sister White received the gift of Prophecy, known as the "Spirit of Prophecy" (Revelation 19:10), which is not the testimony of sister White, but rather the "testimony of Jesus Christ" (Revelation 12:17, 19:10, etc), and therefore I am (and all true Seventh-day Adventists are) joined unto Him, for we follow His voice.

I find a contradiction here....you do NOT just "follow His voice".
Any 'special group' that has a 'special anointed leader ' and 'hangs on their words' - be it a man or a woman at it's head , is a cult.

You throw around the word 'deceived ' to the other posters here...Go and look in a mirror...then you will SEE who has been really deceived.

I have now put you on my prayer list. ✟

Reactions: Nancy

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well asked! :D

This is a silly thread .." some people" will get a big surprise when they actually "Get There" and find "the halt and the lame have gone on before them" .

At least I now know for sure that the SDA have the same spirit of arrogance upon them as the Calvinists do!!! Until now I hadn't thought so.
ie:- "WE , and we only are the special ones and we alone are 'doing it right' :rolleyes:

case in point -
Luke 18
10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted. "

....H
All the SDA crowd sound the same

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

For instance, Miriam, being a prophetess (Exodus 15:20), does not mean that Israel joined themselves unto a 'woman', but rather that those who obeyed that which was spoken by her, by that same gift of the spirit of prophecy (testimony of Jesus) were joined unto the Head - The Son of God.

The same goes for Deborah, being a prophetess (Judges 4:4), Huldah the prophetess (2 Kings 22:14; 2 Chronicles 34:22), the wife of Isaiah, being a prophetess (Isaiah 8:3) and Anna the prophetess (Luke 2:36) or Philips four daughters (Acts 21:9) and all such 'daughters' who truly prophesy for Jesus (Joel 2:28; Acts 2:17).

However, there is one that "calleth herself a prophetess" (and not so ordained by God, choosing instead to call herself that, in fact Vaticanus means 'to prophesy' - What does the word Vatican mean? ), in Revelation 2:20. She claims to "take the place' of 'Christ on earth' ((Latin) Vicarivs Christi; (koine Greek) Anti Christos), and thus all joined unto her have such an illegal union that you speak of.
What did that have to do with what I posted...

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person can be at present a "Roman Catholic" (etc., and know nothing about Seventh-day Adventist) and still be a member of the body of Christ Jesus (for they are walking in the light they presently have). It doesn't mean that they are in the "One True Church" however. The two things are separate and distinct from the other.

The "One True Church" is the body of Christ.

My opinion means nothing.

Only "It is written ..." means everything.

Then give scripture to back up your statements.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree. Anyone who believes that they are exclusive will have to give an answer in the judgment because it already shows that their hearts are wrong and they haven't " taken the lowest place" but have exalted themselves.
However, this does not apply to those who understand and know that they have the truth of salvation; when they have the truth of salvation: and it can also be said that the truth of salvation is a narrow path (Matthew 7:13-14); therefore if someone knows that they have this truth; and are contending with someone whom they know does not have this truth, it is not so much that they are saying that the truth of salvation is exclusive to them, but that rather they know that they do have that truth and the person or people that they are contending with do not have this truth.

Since the truth is indeed a narrow path, it follows that some are walking down the broad path that leads to destruction and therefore do not have the truth that leads to salvation.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

leaning on the exclusivity of ones church is a spiritual weakness

Reactions: Base12

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the SDA crowd sound the same
I'll take that as a compliment.

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

1Co_1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.​

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However, this does not apply to those who understand and know that they have the truth of salvation; when they have the truth of salvation: and it can also be said that the truth of salvation is a narrow path (Matthew 7:13-14); therefore if someone knows that they have this truth; and are contending with someone whom they know does not have this truth, it is not so much that they are saying that the truth of salvation is exclusive to them, but that rather they know that they do have that truth and the person or people that they are contending with do not have this truth.

Since the truth is indeed a narrow path, it follows that some are walking down the broad path that leads to destruction and therefore do not have the truth that leads to salvation.
It is also not arrogance to believe that you have the truth if you know that the Lord Jesus has wonderfully saved you from sin.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are quite mistaken. Jesus said, by the Holy Ghost through the Prophet:

Jer_29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.​

Jesus, is the "Head" of the True Church.

Eph_5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

Col_1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.​

Therefore, you are quite in error, and have not understood the first thing needed to be done. Most do not even understand where Jesus is, or even what he is now doing. They are wandering, and in much gross darkness.

Again, you seek to try to promote 'the nebulous everywhere and nowhere church'. A gross and wicked idea of 'catholicism'.

The True Church is visible upon the earth, with specific doctrine (David is dead asleep in the grave awaiting his resurrection, etc), specific structure (with Council, Elders, Deacons, etc) as we have already seen. The True Church has specific gifts given unto it, such as "the testimony of Jesus, which is the Spirit of Prophecy", which most do not even claim to have. The True Church as identified in Revelation 12, "keep(s) the commandments of God", unlike most of the false churches which have cast aside God's own character, clinging to their own self-righteousness or lawlessness (two sides of the same disobedient coin). The True Church as seen is called "the remnant" and as the other prophet said, comes after the sun and moon events (May 19, 1780). The True Church is the third phase in the Sanctuary as shown already, from Adam to Moses/Israel being the Outer Court (with animal sacrifices), with the Disciples/Apostles being the Holy Place (spiritual sacrifices), and the third group would be seen as the final movement, given a special name as John the Baptist was, not of the previous names before.

True, but that says nothing about the structure of the True Church as mentioned previously. Just as there was a True Church in the days of Moses, and in the days of the Apostles, so too in these the final moments of earth's history. There is a True Church visible to the world, as it was in Jesus day, even if there are Judas' in it at present. There was a calling out of the false religious system (of Pharisees, Saducees, a generation of vipers) of Jesus day, and so too today.

That is the false idea and wickedness of 'catholicism'. The 'nebulous everywhere and nowhere church'. Each of the denominations that carry false doctrine, a false structural system, false gifts, etc are not God's True Church, but are the harlots of their Great Whore mother, Roman Catholicism, as they teach what she tells them to speak (immortal soul/spirit theology, eternal conscious torment, sunday sacredness, consumption of alcohol, etc., etc).

Again, there is only "One Faith", not many.

Again, there is only "One Fold", not many.

That which is taught by the True Church is to be "the same" throughout:

1Co_1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Php_3:16 Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
Therefore, your errors are not merely little, but gross.

The only reason that you refuse, is because you do not desire to give up your error and would have no one identify those errors, and to have each to live in error as you do, but thanks be to God, there is indeed The True Church.

You promote Jesus as the head of the church yet directive the idea of the ' church invisible' as a gross error.
So just what is Jesus head of?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'll take that as a compliment.

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

1Co_1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.​
If you would take that as a compliment than your realy have no idea of the position you have put yourself. Some times in Gods kingdom its far better to be ignorant.

Joh 9:39 And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.
Joh 9:40 And some of the Pharisees which were with him heard these words, and said unto him, Are we blind also?
Joh 9:41 Jesus said unto them, If ye were blind, ye should have no sin: but now ye say, We see; therefore your sin remaineth.

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you belong to "the [true] Church" (1 Tim 3:15)?, if so, how do you prove it?

This is the theme for this Thread.

For instance, I personally, would begin with the scriptures (KJB) and attempt to identify the true church from clear descriptions given about it, and see whether that which I belonged to was a match for what was written in biblical description.

Here is how one so does it:

As another example, here is how another person went about it -

Library Of Sermons 21 – The Search For The True Church – Pocket Book – Joe Crews – Amazing Facts (PDF)

What are the clear identifying marks of the true church as they are found in scripture?

More nonsense.

This OP is gone astray from biblical truth. We are not to find out and seek out if we're in "the right church" with the right name. We are to examine if we are in Christ, Ephesians 1, Hebrews, 1 John (evidence of true conversion).

Therefore we are to look for the true marks of what it means to be in Christ and to be truly converted, salvation is in Him, not a church name and most certainly not found in SDA.

B

brakelite

Does anyone recognise the irony thus far revealed in this thread? One seventh day Adventist who quoted the Bible to identify the specific characteristics of God's church in the last days
KJV Revelation 12
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

A church which is not a building, but a body of believers united in spirit mind/heart faith, ... One baptism, one faith, etc... Against which come all of you who are the most disunited group of people on the planet. Not any two if you would agree on any of the 5 or 6 major doctrines of Christendom. You disagree on salvation, you disagree whether one needs to belong to any church at all, d some of you independent, some mainstream, some refuse to belong to any church because of the confusion there!!!o you all disagree on the state of eternal torment, on the second coming, on the nature of sin, even on the nature of God. Some of you accept even the "Commander in chief prophecy" regarding Trump without any reference to Christian life and faith except it come through political power, but reject Ellen White who constantly upheld Christ, repentance and holy living! Seriously. You are all confused and disjointed when it comes to doctrine.. you all admit to this. Yet does that not shout loud and clear a warning that you all may be a part of Babylon which literally reflects that spirit of confusion you all suffer from? And then you all join together and agree all of a sudden that to be confused and disunited over doctrine is okay so long as it isn't SDA!!! SMH.
And then, too make war against the one church that uphold the law of God and the spirit of prophecy which is the testimony of Jesus. You all really do need to take stock of where you sit.

Reactions: ReChoired