Do You Ever Feel That Your Prayers Are Inadequate

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God knows my thoughts. He knows my words before I speak them. He knows my needs. When I pray a repeated thanks or need I must assume God didn't hear or understand me the first time. I can rationalize repeated thanks but is it a lack of faith to repeatedly seek a need from God?

Thoughts

Reactions: Nancy and marks

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rarely pray.
The prayer of Jesus on the Mount of Olives is partly what led to that conclusion. "...thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven."

Coupled with God telling us he sets our steps, though we plan our way, all things are by his will, and plan.

I feel like if I pray I'm expecting special dispensation if I pray and ask God to alter his plan.

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God knows my thoughts. He knows my words before I speak them. He knows my needs. When I pray a repeated thanks or need I must assume God didn't hear or understand me the first time. I can rationalize repeated thanks but is it a lack of faith to repeatedly seek a need from God?

Thoughts

Prayer is primarily about hearing God's voice, not making endless requests. It is supposed to be a conversation, not a one way telegraph.

Not saying that is you or anyone else, but this is the problem for many. Too much of a "Santa Claus" approach, rather than talking to God as a Father.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts
The parable of the unjust judge. The woman kept pestering him for the same thing over and over until he at last relented. Jesus told the story to encourage us to pray without growing weary.

Much love!

Reactions: Nancy and Wynona

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer is primarily about hearing God's voice, not making endless requests. It is supposed to be a conversation, not a one way telegraph.

Not saying that is you or anyone else, but this is the problem for many. Too much of a "Santa Claus" approach, rather than talking to God as a Father.
For me prayer is about the fellowship with God. Speaking, hearing, just being together.

Once I learned to stop thinking of God as "He" and start thinking of God as "You", things got more personal.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I rarely pray.
The prayer of Jesus on the Mount of Olives is partly what led to that conclusion. "...thy will be done on Earth as it is in heaven."

Coupled with God telling us he sets our steps, though we plan our way, all things are by his will, and plan.

I feel like if I pray I'm expecting special dispensation if I pray and ask God to alter his plan.
James wrote, you have not because you ask not. This tells me that God doesn't just put everything out their, but He at least sometimes holds back, intending us to participate in the process.

Much love!

Reactions: Lambano

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James wrote, you have not because you ask not. This tells me that God doesn't just put everything out their, but He at least sometimes holds back, intending us to participate in the process.

Much love!
For me the thing is, God is eternally all knowing and all seeing, are we really bringing anything about ourselves or our life to God's attention?

If he likes us to pray and ask for things, is that because he'll grant those wishes,prayers? Or is it in order that we, in the praying, realize something about ourselves?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If he likes us to pray and ask for things, is that because he'll grant those wishes, prayers? Or is it in order that we, in the praying, realize something about ourselves?

It can be both. True Christianity is about making Him Lord, so that He can decide which.

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thoughts

marks mentioned this:

Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart, saying:
There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man. Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying,
‘Get justice for me from my adversary.’
And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself,
‘Though I do not fear God nor regard man, yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.’

(Luke 18:1-5)
there is also this:

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
(James 1:2-8)​

so i think we have to ask - was the woman who was wronged pestering the unjust man because she lacked faith?
that man was faithless, yet granted her justice so he wouldn't be bothered any longer.
is that a picture of God? should we presume He is unjust, but if we pester Him enough we can coerce Him to act on our behalf, to get us to shut up?
yet Jesus gave this parable specifically to teach us we should always pray and not lose heart. so it's giving us something to ponder over: if even an evil ruler will hear you if you continually weary him, what will our good God do? He knows every thought of our hearts, and what is right for us at every proper time.

@TEXBOW bro i think a voice in your heart is telling you to thank Him for his answers to your prayers, even if you haven't seen them yet, and even if they aren't what you hoped those answers would be. maybe do this; when these things are on your heart, tell Him that He knows every thought of your heart, that you know He has heard you, and ask Him to help you have patience to hear Him and to wait for Him to work in those things. you can keep praying about the same things without doubting - but your prayer will 'evolve' or 'blossom' into more than just a desire for some outcome. and in this way, you will come to know Him better, and He will strengthen & perfect you, over time.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I rarely pray.

Prayer is your active connection with God. It is not for him; it is for you.
Prayer is the heart's cry to God in thankfulness, for strength and courage, for discernment and wisdom....it is to be as spontaneous as breathing.

Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Advice on prayer try following:-

A.C.T.S.
A= adoration
C= confession
T= thanks
S= supplication

be warned it takes effort to stick to it.

an instructional true story.

A man asked Bily about his secretshow to pray. Billy turned and said, " See that copper kettle the wife been polishesing. Niow you give that a bit of a rub every now and then and it'll stay nice and bright. But you let it go dull/tarnished you'll have a reall job getting it bright again.

Read about Billy Bray cornish miner and evangelist.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
constantly. for decades
You too, my brother?

One part of my prayer life that is inadequate is on the praise side. Some people I know can naturally offer up praise; I can't. It feels like I'm be trying to get what I want from God through flattery, and I don't want to be judged as a flatterer after having read Inferno in college and seeing the damned souls in the Pit of Flatterers. (Google it if you haven't had the dubious pleasure of reading Dante.) But "Hey God, that sunset is really pretty" seems so inadequate.

Recently, a brother from my church was hospitalized with CoVid19. He couldn't have visitors, of course. His condition worsened until he told our pastor on Friday that he'd like his church friends to call or text and say goodbye; the doctors said he wasn't going to make it through the weekend. Sad, but we knew with his pre-existing conditions it was inevitable. Then late on Monday afternoon I was out riding my bike when my smart watch pinged. It was an email from our church secretary saying our brother had all of a sudden gotten well and been released from ICU and was in rehab. I've never been so stunned in all my life. I tried to say a prayer of thanks, but there were no words to express what I felt. That awestruck silence probably was (no, undoubtedly was) the best prayer of praise I've ever offered.

Last edited:

Jun 13, 2021
_
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tried to say a prayer of thanks, but there were no words to express what I felt. That awestruck silence probably was (no, undoubtedly was) the best prayer of praise I've ever offered.

Amen
I know exactly what you mean; so many times my spirit just leaps or yearns and I have no words to express it; to me these are the most honest prayers I pray - as its written in Romans, 'groanings which cannot be uttered'

We will one day learn this language, that our souls know through Him in us

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen
I know exactly what you mean; so many times my spirit just leaps or yearns and I have no words to express it; to me these are the most honest prayers I pray - as its written in Romans, 'groanings which cannot be uttered'

We will one day learn this language, that our souls know through Him in us
I was just thinking of that Romans verse!

Reactions: marks and post

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Prayer is your active connection with God. It is not for him; it is for you.
Prayer is the heart's cry to God in thankfulness, for strength and courage, for discernment and wisdom....it is to be as spontaneous as breathing.
I live my life everyday in gratitude. God and I talk all the time. :):)