Do you pray in tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Shortly before his ascension, Christ promised his disciples that one of the gifts that would accompany believers,
confirming the validity of their messages, would be the ability to speak with “new tongues” (Mk. 16:17).

It's as simple as that.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Says you. Who obviously don't or can't. :(

Well , slap me sideways...I have found myself doing the very thing that we agreed not to so!! :D
Sorry @Triumph1300 ( I just smacked myself.)

What benefit does talking about tongues for private use when you all claim it is for private use? Just to see how many others are doing it?

What if I spoke of a phenomenon of walking on water and all the benefits that comes with walking on water? Others can chime in and say.. hey.. I do that too. I am sure many will say that they can't do that.

I fail to see the point as well as the benefit other than to indirectly exalt tongue speakers higher than non-tongue speakers when it comes to prayer.

How can it not make non-tongue speaker feel less involved with the Lord?

Now what about the benefits of praying in tongues? Why should only some christians do it and not every body if it is truly beneficial? Does God shows partiality? No. Then something is amiss when His real gift of tongues comes with interpretation so that tongue can benefit everybody, including the tongue speaker. That's word.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shortly before his ascension, Christ promised his disciples that one of the gifts that would accompany believers,
confirming the validity of their messages, would be the ability to speak with “new tongues” (Mk. 16:17).

It's as simple as that.

I believe the validity of the message can only be confirmed if it was understood in another foreign language.

As it is, Paul said tongues were not to serve as a sign to believers about anything, but to serve as a sign towards unbelievers; 1 Corinthians 14:22

So it is not that simple.

Catholic church at one time in their early history had proclaimed that because there was speaking in tongues within, it served as a sign that they were keeping the doctrines within the Church. Not.

Joyce Meyers testified that when she felt the "Holy Spirit" come over her and she spoke in tongues, that was a sign that God was calling her into the ministry. Not.

My neighbor across the street was reading her Bible one day at the kitchen table when she testified that she felt the "Holy Spirit" come over her an she spoke in tongues. Then she went on to say that was when she was saved because she received it all at once. Not. I had asked her what she had read that led her to believe in Jesus Christ. She did not know what I had meant. She went on to explain that she had asked her pastor what had happened to her and her pastor pointed to something in the Book of Acts. So she was a believer but because of that phenomena, she had changed her testimony to when she was saved by that sign of tongues. Again, not.

So if you are using tongues as a sign in the same way by which you are misusing His words of Mark 16:17 for as if to give validity any message that any believer gives when it comes with no interpretation.... nope. I cannot agree with you.

I could go into a church and speak gibberish and interpret it and say the church is to give me all the money they collected each and every Sunday from now on. So what prevents that in the churches back in Paul's days? The same way in preventing false prophesy.

1 Corinthians 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. 27 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. 28 But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. 29 Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. 30 If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. 31 For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted.

1 Corinthians 12:7-11 testify that the Holy Spirit would give interpretation to another so that the tongue speaker will not be doing both gifts just as discerning of spirits is to prophesy. The Holy Spirit divides the gifts severally as He wills and that means His gift of tongues will come with interpretation so that even the tongue speaker will understand it or it will not come at all in the assembly.

So Mark 16:17 has Jesus meaning that the validity of the message will be confirmed because it is being spoken in another language as understood by men to know the validity of the message as being from God. There is no way babbling nonsense is going to confirm any gospel message to unbelievers. That is why tongues is a sign to unbelievers; not the believers. 1 Corinthians 14:22

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, some Christians believe in it.
And they receive the baptism in the Holy Spirit.

Others don't believe it. (Like you).
And don't receive it.

And that sums it up.

I had received the baptism of the Holy Spirit by faith in Jesus Christ; not by sight. Galatians 3:14,26 Hebrews 11:1-2

So basically, you are saying that tongues is tied to receiving of the baptism with the Holy Spirit and thus salvation? You are saying that if a christian does not speak in tongues, they have not received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, and therefore they are not saved? You might want to clarify your reply.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I didn't say that.

(I already know where this is leading to. I'm not getting involved.)

Okay, brother. I withdraw from the discussion.

To every one else;

There is such a thing as a Catholic Charismatic Church and they speak in tongues too. Is it strange to any of you how in spite of that supernatural phenomena, that the Holy Spirit has not reproved the works of catholicism by those manifestations? It is to me and thus highly circumspect, but I leave you all to your private elite party even though you should pay heed to the verses below.

1 Corinthians 12:20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.

21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that part which lacked.25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another. 26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Demonic possession, mass hysteria, and mass hypnosis were the only things I could think of that would make a person think they had any of the gifts of the Spirit, as initially given to the 120 in the upper room, which were all Jews. I also believe that many enjoy the dark side, the magic of it, and there are those who feels that they're in a privileged special class of those who have received the fake, unBiblical second blessing. There is no doubt the gifts were done away with at the end of Acts, when Israel was set aside. In Paul's 7 post Acts books, he mentioned 3 situations where he was unable to heal his companions. Yet, in Acts 28, the very last chapter in Acts, he healed many people and a poisonous snake bite didn't phase him. There is no doubt that the gifts stopped at the very end of Acts, when Israel and everything associated with Israel ceased. This includes Paul's Acts books, which were written to Jews and to saved Gentiles, all of whom were part of Israel, since they were all grafted into Israel, the good olive tree. Acts was, therefore, all Israel and all of those quotes from Corinthians, etc., concerning the gifts, aren't in play today. That's what right division (see below) is all about, to divide scripture, correctly, so that we weed out what applies directly to Israel and only utilize what directly applies to us Gentiles.

I spent nearly 2 years in large charismatic churches in Houston, in order to help out my favorite aunt. I soon discovered that, mainly during the pre-sermon hour of droning, repetitive music, I often received a super feel-good, almost orgasmic, "buzz". This "buzz" was identical to the super "buzz" I felt 20 years before that when, in my pagan years, I practiced Transcendental Meditation. Later on, I found out the TM mantra I was given was the name of a Hindu deity. For 20 minutes, twice a day, for about 5 years, I was summoning a demon. Anyway, I truly believe that everyone attending a charismatic church feels this same "buzz" that I did, but no one seems to want to talk about it. My guess is that the possibility of this "buzz" being of demonic origin is strong and that the "buzz" is a main reason of people not leaving those non-Biblical, fake tongue-talking, charismatic churches. Also, prophecy today is impossible, since Biblical prophecy ALWAYS involves Israel, and there is no Israel, in God's eyes, today. So, any supposed manifestation of the big 3, tongues, healing, and prophecy, is 100% fake. In the 2 years I spent in those unBiblical charismatic churches, I never saw tongues or their interpretation or praying in tongues done ANYTHING like they're described in Paul's Acts books.

Since none of those churches obey 2Tim 2:15 and rightly divide (correctly cut, correctly dissect, according to Strong's) God's word, they are not approved unto God and they need to be ashamed, as it says in that scripture. The ONLY purpose of the gifts in Acts was to provide Israel with a sign, so they would hopefully accept Christ, so He would return, and the promised earthly Kingdom would start. When Israel was set aside in Ac 28:28, there was no need for the gifts.
Do you believe the scripture written below, I Do!

Jesus Christ Is The Lord!

1 Corinthians 12:3KJV
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe the scripture written below, I Do!

Jesus Christ Is The Lord!

1 Corinthians 12:3KJV
Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

That was following verses on how some of them used to be sinners that were carried off unto dumb idols.

1 Corinthians 12:1Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2 Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led.

Paul said that the manifestations of the Spirit were to profit the body of believers as a whole; not individually.

1 Corinthians 12:7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal......19 And if they were all one member, where were the body? 20 But now are they many members, yet but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

So how does idol worshipers that speak in tongues, repent if christians believe tongues are also for private use when it comes with no interpretation?

And strangely enough, Paul emphasized this truth so that nobody would think gifts are received by receiving the Holy Spirit apart from salvation.

1 Corinthians 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will. 12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

And yet this can happen to believers as prophesied.

1 Timothy 4:1Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; 2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

And the church was warned in the latter days about having known the utter depths of Satan for which they speak.

Revelation 2:21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works. 24 But unto you I say, and unto the rest in Thyatira, as many as have not this doctrine, and which have not known the depths of Satan, as they speak; I will put upon you none other burden. 25 But that which ye have already hold fast till I come.

So what is it that we are to hold fast to? When we had received the sanctification of the Spirit & the belief of the truth at the calling of the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth: 14 Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. 15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

So by the grace of God, I understand where AC28 is coming from. Do you see our concern for the body of Christ or not?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
To every truth of God...there will always be a counterfeit..Satan sees to that..
But we do not "throw out the truth" just because some people fall for the counterfeit!! Some always have, and always will.
That is why we are told to "discern the spirits".
God why gave us the gift of 'Discerning of spirits' to the Church..

Last edited:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominationalism whether it be Roman Catholic or Baptist is as much an idol as any figure.

Men worship their creations more than the creator. Warped interpretations of the scripture, dead traditions.

The church of the ceramic Lamb has many members. They NEVER bring unity. NEVER.

They are wrong headed with their head filled with denominational doctrines. ALL scripture is twisted to suit their creations.

They cannot see. No need to point things out to them.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Truth7t7
Another thing you will find about me is...and you wont like it, sorry. :)
I do not quote reams of scriptures to try and "prove my point"
In my decade plus years on forums, I have found that anyone can use any scripture to "prove" their point....and then the other person picks other scriptures to "prove" their point...and then like a dog and its tail, the argument goes around and around.
I got tired of doing that...so now I will not ever try to "win" any discussion with quotes and cherry picked favourite scriptures. It annoys people I know.
This is not a "win or lose" issue.

Plus, you may as well find out now...I also believe Eph 4:6
" One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all."
This includes the foolish virgins...who were displaced from what could have been their "high calling in Christ Jesus"....they just didn't make the grade.
They lost their position at the table....

"Make your calling and election sure
...."
Keep your lamp bright and you oil burning...
2 Timothy 3:16-17KJV
16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

Hebrews 4:12KJV
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1499067984358-360x640_zpskkcaraum.jpg

The church of the ceramic Lamb. Not the real Lamb, worships the creation of men more than God. Denominationalism, cold and dead shouts they are defenders of he faith while denying God's very word.

Even God can't help them as they hold to their denominational doctrines.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
View attachment 2407

The church of the ceramic Lamb. Not the real Lamb, worships the creation of men more than God. Denominationalism, cold and dead shouts they are defenders of he faith while denying God's very word.

That reminds me of @bbyrd009 's often challenge in posts about "the snake on the pole".

2 Tim 3:5
"Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away."

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Denominationalism whether it be Roman Catholic or Baptist is as much an idol as any figure.

Men worship their creations more than the creator. Warped interpretations of the scripture, dead traditions.

The church of the ceramic Lamb has many members. They NEVER bring unity. NEVER.

They are wrong headed with their head filled with denominational doctrines. ALL scripture is twisted to suit their creations.

They cannot see. No need to point things out to them.
The Church Of The Living Lamb Of God, Amen!

Revelation 7:9-10KJV
9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
View attachment 2407

That is a dogmatic declaration, so you are your own denomination.

2386cdd7011843f24dad6640f7662adc.jpg

Last edited:

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have questions about the Bible but I never question the Bible. There is a vast difference between these. It is my considered opinion that any so called believer that questions the validity of any part of the Bible is not indeed a born again believer and certainly not baptized in the Holy Spirit of the living God as promised by the savior. If the great creator were not able to maintain the integrity of His mighty Word then then He would not be able to keep those that have thrown all at the foot of the cross and risen up a new creation.

One gift of actual salvation is a knowledge that the Bible is completely true and dependable. When our three children were small I would tell them over and over "the Bible is the only place you can get the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

This teaching I continued until I knew that they knew. They were all born again Christians by age four or five and baptized in the Holy Spirit by age six or eight.

The words of the Bible are the most powerful the most reliable, the most mysterious, the most wise, the most adaptable to every situation of life, the most awe inspiring, the most uplifting and majestic, indescribably beautiful words on the face of the earth and indeed in the entirety of the universe.

1526382360791-576x1024.jpg