Do you pray in tongues?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God amazes me more and more every day of my life. But I feel with my dreams now at least, I have really been touched by God deeper. I talk a lot. But sometimes it can be hard to feel heard. But God hears me. He hears us always. I love Him so much.

I am sure praying in tongues now, my walk will grow even deeper now.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower
You are very blessed. Stay close to God and He will see you everything.

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Rom 8:28

Give God the glory!

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is a suggestion:
Go to your prayer closet.
Open your Bible to Psalms and/or Proverbs.
Read Scripture while whispering in tongues.
You can do 2 things at once because you are using 2 different parts of the brain. It may seem awkward at first. Practice. Tongues merely becomes the sound tract to a scriptural movie.
It's called meditating the scriptures, which has nothing to do with new age wackos filling their minds with nothingness.
Not having the gift of tongues does not mean you are a second class Christian, it means God has something more important in mind for you.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is a suggestion:
You can do 2 things at once because you are using 2 different parts of the brain. It may seem awkward at first. Practice. Tongues merely becomes the sound tract to a scriptural movie.
It's called meditating the scriptures, which has nothing to do with new age wackos filling their minds with nothingness.
Not having the gift of tongues does not mean you are a second class Christian, it means God has something more important in mind for you.

Excellent post. I like that a lot. :)

Reactions: amadeus

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is a suggestion:

You can pray in English too while reading God's Word. But I think you hear what God is saying a lot more if you read scripture, then pause and pray. You can't hear what God is trying to tell you if you are talking. Meditation is about studying God's Word and praying, no matter what language you speak.

I am sorry if someone called you a second class Christian for not praying in tongues. I don't believe that. Romans 12 lists a lot of different spiritual gifts. And I do believe in the gift of tongues. This doesn't make me a second class Christian for believing this way either. What makes us all Christians is trusting in Jesus Christ as our Savior. God has important things in mind for all of us. We just have to be willing for Him to use us.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can pray in English too while reading God's Word. But I think you hear what God is saying a lot more if you read scripture, then pause and pray. You can't hear what God is trying to tell you if you are talking. Meditation is about studying God's Word and praying, no matter what language you speak.

I am sorry if someone called you a second class Christian for not praying in tongues. I don't believe that. Romans 12 lists a lot of different spiritual gifts. And I do believe in the gift of tongues. This doesn't make me a second class Christian for believing this way either. What makes us all Christians is trusting in Jesus Christ as our Savior. God has important things in mind for all of us. We just have to be willing for Him to use us.
Actually what has happened on this forum recently is someone has said that we, the tongue talkers, are effectively calling the non-tongue talking believers 2nd class Christians because we insist on continue to speak in tongues. Of course, the person in question is against any one having a private prayer language at all. If we were all really making such a judgment against others, he might be right, but most of the tongue talkers I have known are not doing that.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually what has happened on this forum recently is someone has said that we, the tongue talkers, are effectively calling the non-tongue talking believers 2nd class Christians because we insist on continue to speak in tongues. Of course, the person in question is against any one having a private prayer language at all. If we were all really making such a judgment against others, he might be right, but most of the tongue talkers I have known are not doing that.

Yes. I get the impression that there have been some bad examples set for those who seem resentful of tongue-talkers now. That's a shame, and a true work of the Devil. I read statements about it being a prideful thing or us supposedly looking down on others, and wonder where in the world it is coming from. But the enemy instills it in people, possibly through disobedient Charismatics out there somewhere. Wherever it is coming from, it robs people of the blessings of God, and then turns them into accusers of those who mean them only blessings, and no ill-will at all.

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I get the impression that there have been some bad examples set for those who seem resentful of tongue-talkers now. That's a shame, and a true work of the Devil. I read statements about it being a prideful thing or us supposedly looking down on others, and wonder where in the world it is coming from. But the enemy instills it in people, possibly through disobedient Charismatics out there somewhere. Wherever it is coming from, it robs people of the blessings of God, and then turns them into accusers of those who mean them no harm.
Unfortunately there is sometimes ignorance among people who talk in tongues and they unknowingly leave the wrong impression on others.

All of us who believe in God, tongue talkers or not, need to continuously read and study and pray. How often? Paul writes that we should pray without ceasing as well as rejoicing in the Lord always, but many fall short on those because they impossibilities in the flesh alone. This is why every believer needs to get hold of God regularly [try daily at least at the start] and ask Him for help for as long as we need help. We will need His help until we have overcome every single obstacle standing between us and Him.

Reactions: Helen and Mayflower

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a train of thought that says the gift of tongues is evidence of the Holy Spirit, and that's where the trouble starts. I say taurus excretum! Since when can the Holy Spirit be quantified? What about the gift of love as "evidence"? How would that be manifested? Warm fuzzies??? Do these churches have tongue police to adjudicate who has the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?
Sorry, but this kind of evidence requirement is an error, as most seem to agree.

did you know.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayflower and Helen

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a train of thought that says the gift of tongues is evidence of the Holy Spirit. I say taurus excretum! Since when can the Holy Spirit be quantified? What about the gift of love as "evidence"? How would that be manifested? Warm fuzzies??? Do these churches have tongue police to to adjudicate who has the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?
Sorry, but this kind of "proof" is an error.

I have seen many spirit filled Christians who do not speak in tongues. They show the fruits of the spirit and I admire them greatly!

Reactions: amadeus and epostle

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a train of thought that says the gift of tongues is evidence of the Holy Spirit. I say taurus excretum! Since when can the Holy Spirit be quantified? What about the gift of love as "evidence"? How would that be manifested? Warm fuzzies??? Do these churches have tongue police to to adjudicate who has the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?
Sorry, but this kind of "proof" is an error.
When I first began talking in tongues the church I attended taught just that. Never having read the Bible before not having received any teaching about it I presumed, wrongly, that what the pastor said must be correct. Eventually it was this very point on which I came to disagree with the leadership and most of the membership. I guess I made the mistake of making friends with a member who already believed as you do on this. They believed that if a person did not talk in tongues they could not be saved. It was really a moot point with me since I did speak in tongues, but not so to the official powers that be.

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My church doesn't teach on tongues as a prayer language, but it is a personal thing anyway...I won't go around sharing about it, but I do want to seek to understand it better in case the conversation is ever brought up.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My church doesn't teach on tongues as a prayer language, but it is a personal thing anyway...I won't go around sharing about it, but I do want to seek to understand it better in case the conversation is ever brought up.
It is a good thing to understand it all better, but unfortunately there are always some around who will push and shove to get a person argue a point that the person really does not yet understand.

We do really live by faith, which is "the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen". This means that sometimes we really do not understand all that we believe. A lot of study of scripture is a good thing, but without the Holy Spirit the study of scripture comes back to this:

"And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh." Ecc 12:12

Solomon was writing about the carnal man, the old man of each of us. Now for believers there is a new man, but if we not following the lead of the Holy Spirit or we are too often quenching the Holy Spirit in us [ I Thess 5:19 ] instead of increasing the truth in us we are just wearying our flesh even though our brain may have drawn some conclusions on its own. Are they God's conclusions or are they our own?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a train of thought that says the gift of tongues is evidence of the Holy Spirit, and that's where the trouble starts. I say taurus excretum! Since when can the Holy Spirit be quantified? What about the gift of love as "evidence"? How would that be manifested? Warm fuzzies??? Do these churches have tongue police to adjudicate who has the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?
Sorry, but this kind of evidence requirement is an error, as most seem to agree.

Totally agree.
That line of teaching has done great damage...woe unto him who first delivered that terrible lie. Many churches still preach it!!!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Well, let me throw a little monkey wrench in this. My problem with the "tongues as evidence" position is that it appears to be among the least of the spiritual gifts (though important). Paul stated in 1 Corinthians 12:31, "But be zealous for the greater gifts," and then in 14:1, "Pursue love, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy." So prophecy is a greater gift, since he corrects them over their misuse of tongues. That means it is clear they were operating in it primarily. I've seen many believers focus on tongues as evidence when it is IMO fairly weak evidence, and can also be easily falsified, so this emphasis on speaking in tongues alone is (in my opinion) what has led to this attitude among superficial Charismatics that they are somehow spiritually above others who do not. And among such types this is often the ONLY "gift" they move in. So the whole argument is often promoted by immature types who want to distinguish themselves above others.

But I do believe our God to be a supernatural God, and His Presence will be evidenced by supernatural manifestations. If there are no supernatural manifestations of His Presence in the house, can He truly be said to be in His temple? Certainly the fruit should be manifest too, but should not His power as well? His Power was evident in the early church because they were the temple of God in whom He dwelt mightily. I think we cannot safely say He is dwelling in us the same way until we return to manifesting the same power, and greater.

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
TIMELESS PROPHECIES
ST. PETER’S BASILICA, ROME,

DURING THE CLOSING EUCHARIST
ON PENTECOST MONDAY—MAY 1975

Because I love you, I want to show you what I am doing in the world today. I want to prepare you for what is to come. Days of darkness are coming on the world, days of tribulation….Buildings that are now standing will not be standing. Supports that are there for my people now will not be there. I want you to be prepared, my people, to know only me and to cleave to me and to have me in a way deeper than ever before. I will lead you into the desert…I will strip you of everything that you are depending on now, so you depend just on me. A time of darkness is coming on the world, but a time of glory is coming for my church, a time of glory is coming for my people. I will pour out on you all the gifts of my spirit. I will prepare you for spiritual combat; I will prepare you for a time of evangelism that the world has never seen…. And when you have nothing but me, you will have everything: land, fields, homes, and brothers and sisters and love and joy and peace more than ever before. Be ready, my people, I want to prepare you…” (given by Ralph Martin) “

I speak to you of the dawn of a ‘new age’ for my church.
I speak to you of a day that has not been seen before….Prepare yourselves for the action that I begin now, because things that you see around you will change; the combat that you must enter now is different; it is new. You need wisdom from me that you do not yet have. “I You need the power of my Holy Spirit in a way that you nave not possessed it; you need an understanding of my will and of the ways that I work that you do not yet have. Open your eyes, open your hearts to prepare yourselves for me and for the day that I have now begun. My church will be different; my people will be different; difficulties and trials will come upon you. The comfort that you know now will be far from you, but the comfort that you will have is the comfort of my Holy Spirit. They will send for you, to take your life, but I will support you. Come to me. Band yourselves together, around me. Prepare, for I proclaim a new day, a day of victory and of triumph for your God. Behold, it is begun.” (given by Bruce Yocum)

I will renew my church. I will renew my people. I will make my people one. I am calling you to turn away from the pleasures of the world. I am calling you to turn away from the desires of the world. I am calling you to turn away from seeking the approval of the world in your lives. I want to transform your lives….I have a word for my church. I am sounding my call. I am forming a mighty army….My power is upon them. They will follow my chosen shepherd(s)…. Be the shepherds I have called you to be….I am renewing my people. I will renew my church. I will free the world.”

pope ralph.jpg

Pope greets prophet with a holy kiss.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Do these churches have tongue police to adjudicate who has the Holy Spirit and who doesn't?

You are switching usernames again...I can't keep up with you.. :D
I sent you a tag to a new thread that I started ...but I sent it to @epostle1
Silly me, I should have also tagged your other self too!! LOL

epostle

Jun 21, 2018
essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are switching usernames again...I can't keep up with you.. :D
I sent you a tag to a new thread that I started ...but I sent it to @epostle1
Silly me, I should have also tagged your other self too!! LOL
Be patient. Kepha31 is in psychotherapy for Multiple Personality Disorder. epostle1 is the evil twin of EPOSTLE, Which sounds impostle-ble. I've notified the CB magisterium to avoid being excommunicated.

220px-St_Dymphna.jpg
St. Dymphna
patroness of mental
and neurological disorders
https://www.ncronline.org/news/world/inspired-dymphna-belgium-town-welcomes-mentally-ill

Reactions: Helen

user

Aug 4, 2019
usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loud outspoken messages in the churches I attended have always been followed by an interpretation.
I have heard people pray softly in tongues, just by themselves. I do the same.

My wife often has an interpretation.

That really great news! I'm happy for you both.
God Bless!

Reactions: BGR