1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does 1 Corinthians 11:7-9 disturb you?

Discussion in 'Christian Theology Forum' started by Ferris Bueller, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Michiah-Imla

Michiah-Imla Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Nevertheless, Paul spake by the Spirit of God. He was an inspired writer. All his words are profitable for doctrine.

1 Corinthians 7:6 KJV
    [6] But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.

But...

1 Corinthians 7:40 KJV
    [40] ...she is happier if she so abide, after my judgment: and I think also that I have the Spirit of God.

Taken likes this.
  2. Michiah-Imla

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It’s best to stick with the sound doctrine in the Bible regarding the behavior of women and not venture into the leavened words of man.

Woman was created from the man’s rib to be a suitable help for him (Genesis 2:18). God told Eve that Adam was to rule over her (Genesis 3:16). Women addressed their husbands, fathers, and men as “lord” (Genesis 18:12; Genesis 24:15-18; Genesis 31:34-35; Judges 4:18; Judges 19:26-27; Ruth 2:8; Ruth 2:13; 1 Samuel 1:15-17; 1 Samuel 1:26; 1 Samuel 25:23-31; 1 Samuel 25:40-41; 1 Kings 1:16-17; 2 Kings 4:16; 2 Kings 4:28).

Peter referencing Sarah as a woman who called her husband “lord” in the New Testament (1 Peter 3:5-6).

Women should keep silent in the churches (1 Corinthians 14:34-35; 1 Timothy 2:11) and not teach or usurp authority over the man (2 Timothy 2:12).

As long as the woman is conducting herself according to these standards, she shall have praise like Phebe and other women (Romans 16:1; Philippians 4:3).

charity likes this.
  3. quietthinker

quietthinker Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    one can 'dominate' with scripture as well......pull the 'spiritual' card. It is equally oppressive!

WaterSong likes this.
  4. Michiah-Imla

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    It’s only oppressive if you don’t want to do what scripture tells you to do.

1 John 5:2-3 KJVS
    [2] By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments. [3] For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

But:

John 14:24 KJVS
    [24] He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

Micah 2:6-7 KJVS
    [6] Prophesy ye not, say they to them that prophesy: they shall not prophesy to them, that they shall not take shame. [7] O thou that art named the house of Jacob... do not my words do good to him that walketh uprightly?

charity likes this.
  5. charity

charity Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Hello @quietthinker

The mind of the flesh will always rebel against such teaching. I know the strength of my own flesh in these matters, and have a long retrospective view to judge my actions, and know their outcome. It is only God's mercy and grace which has prevailed, for in my flesh there is no good thing.

In Christ Jesus
    Chris

6. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    How do you mean 'dominate'?

7. quietthinker

quietthinker Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    own the other as a chattel.....control or curtail development as one who is growing in their own right......manipulate

8. Pearl

Pearl Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United Kingdom
    Every marriage is different. Each couple have a unique relationship - even Christian couples. The ideal is to live in harmony with each other, love each other, respect each other, want the best for each other and serve each other. How two people work that out is their business. I know there are couple who should never be together or couples that are abusive to each other but it isn't those I'm talking about here. The ones I am talking about are the ones that care for each other.

WaterSong and Christophany like this.
  9. marksman

marksman My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her

Faith:
    Christian
    Australia
    Very informative and very welcome.

WaterSong likes this.
  10. WaterSong

WaterSong Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That 1 Corinthians verse in particular is so wrongly understood.
    If it were true women should remain silent in church there wouldn't be a woman today active in the church. But they are.
    There wouldn't have been women active in the church and as such praised by Paul for their service in delivering the Gospel right beside him, but there are.

1 Corinthians verse is speaking about understanding of the scriptures or sermon being delivered on the day. The congregations in the Pauline churches were very often kept separated by sex. Men on one side, women on the other and this to avoid distraction by one another for whatever cause.
    Therefore, if the women attending didn't understand something they were being told to wait until they were able to rightly approach someone for council and understanding. At home, from their husbands. As if they'd know the answer. If not, they were to go to their "pastor". Not a term used in those days most likely, but still.

If women were to remain quiet in church, no women would attend and sing hymns.
    QUIET! Paul said so.
    No, that's not what he meant. If he did, he violated his own edict having women speak in church and right beside him as they brought the Gospel.

Pearl likes this.