Does 1 Corinthians 11:7-9 disturb you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
(man) is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

Woman is the glory of man, because she comes from man.
Woman was created for man.

These are not very popular ideas these days. Do they bother you?
Hello @Ferris Bueller,

No, I am not bothered by this. It is not good that man should be alone. A 'helpmeet' is something we all need. Someone to be there for us. Apart from the fact, of course, that the two together are necessary for the procreation of children. So, I praise God for His wisdom, order and balance.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No!
Because the key here is symbiosis. That's the part everyone is missing out on because of the 2000 years since it was written.

Glory was a key focus for everyone 2,000 years ago...we don't like to talk about it today in Christiandom for the average person. But without glory you are reviled as an evil or worthless person.

A good woman shares in her good husband's glory. And a good man doesn't have any glory if he doesn't have a good woman.

Just like a good couple has no glory if not for the relationship they have with God.

Symbiosis is the key element missing from this equation.

I understand that this is not in line with some denominations' theologies...too bad!
'For a man indeed ought not to cover his head,
forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God:
but the woman is the glory of the man.
For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.
For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.
Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman,
neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
For as the woman is of the man,
even so is the man also by the woman;
but all things of God.'

(1 Corinthians 11:7)

Hello there, @JohnDB, (& @Ferris Bueller)

Symbiosis, in this connection, is the close association of two different animal or plant species living together for their mutual benefit (dictionary definition). So, the relation between male and female is mutually beneficial, and you are saying that this is the element that is not taken into consideration. Good point.

* Looking at the verse heading the OP, within it's context, is so much better than taking it in isolation, for in verses 11 and 12 (above) the man and the woman are brought together as one - 'in the Lord':-

'Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman,
neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.
For as the woman is of the man,
even so is the man also by the woman;
but all things of God.'

* Man is the image and glory of God, but woman is the glory of man, takes my mind to the words of Adam in Genesis 2:23, and the conclusion which follows in v.24:-

'And Adam said,
"This is now bone of my bones,
and flesh of my flesh:
she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man."
Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother,
and shall cleave unto his wife:
and they shall be one flesh.'

* In the Lord the glory of God is the object of both isn't it?

It is a joy.
Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl and JohnDB

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
(man) is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

God first created Adam, then

The LORD God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18

I believe both man and woman are for the glory of God. As God used a rib from Adam to make Eve.

Genesis 2:22
Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

Reactions: Pearl

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No. Paul was entitled to his personal opinion. It's interesting though how Paul also said men should abstain from relations with women. 1 Corinthians 7.
Odd if woman was created for man, as he said, that man should then, per Paul's advice, have nothing to do with a woman if at all possible.
'For I would that all men were even as I myself.
But every man hath his proper gift of God,
one after this manner, and another after that.

I say therefore to the unmarried and widows,
It is good for them if they abide even as I.
But if they cannot contain, let them marry:
for it is better to marry than to burn.

(1 Corinthians 7:8-9)

Hello @WaterSong, (& @Ferris Bueller)

In relation to your thoughts concerning Paul's advice to men and women in the reference above, regarding marriage. It is good to remember when this was written, and the expectation of believers at that time, which is the time covered by the book of the Acts of the Apostles, and the letters written by Paul during this period (1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Hebrews, & Romans). For it was their expectation that Christ would return very soon, and the chain of events prophesied concerning that event would take place, and in the light of that it was more preferable if each was unencumbered by the obligations associated with a relationship.

This expectation rested on the necessity for Israel as a nation to come to repentance, and the acceptance of the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah and King, as required by God, and made known through Peter in Acts 3:19-21. This did not happen, and so, after approx. 40 years of opportunity, Israel as a nation went away into the darkness of unbelief (temporarily); Salvation was sent to the Gentiles; And the later epistles of Paul were written to make known the truth concerning the Church which is the Body of Christ; Formerly hid in God, until revealed to Paul himself while in prison at Rome, but made known through Paul in (Ephesians, Philippians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon).

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: WaterSong

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It bothers women that hate men.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psychologically, I'm pretty sure I lost my superiority a long time ago, LoL. Now I'm just trying to do my job, to the best of my ability.
I lost my superiority 37 years ago when I was being a jerk and found out my wife has solid knuckles. My arm hurt all day...LOL

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Addressing the OP, as with the apostle who wrote this epistle and chapter, I'm in agreement with him as he close this matter in the same chapter, a few verses later, 1 Corinthians 11:16.

PICJAG
101G The "Spiritual Saboteur"

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Addressing the OP, as with the apostle who wrote this epistle and chapter, I'm in agreement with him as he close this matter in the same chapter, a few verses later, 1 Corinthians 11:16.

PICJAG
But if any man seem to be contentious,
we have no such custom,
neither the churches of God.'

(1 Corinthians 11:16)

Hi @101G,

So, 'contentiousness' is not a 'custom' of either Paul and his co-workers, or in the churches of God. Interesting, when we appear to be surrounded by contentiousness.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

PS: 101G, why do you call yourself 'the spiritual saboteur'?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

God is The deity of ORDER, not chaos or confusion.
So, when you have chaos and confusion, you have disorder.
Disorder is the Devil's order.

God is all about Mercy, Love, Restoration, Eternal Life, Peace, and Divine Order.
Its God's WILL that things be in Divine Order, as if not, they are lost within secular worldly chaos.

Look at the USA.
It is in Chaos.
Why?
Because God's Moral Law has been subverted there by "Gay Rights", "civil Rights"... And all that is....is... moral corruption.= worrying more about "rights", instead of being MORE concerned with doing what's morally right.
Its that simple.
And this is of course is how the world operates, but see, the USA was the last LIGHT in this world.
The USA was the last real "Christian" Nation, whose Republic and Democracy was founded on the BIBLE and GODLY Principles.

Now that is eroded, decayed, and replaced by all sorts of "Rights" that have destroyed the USA.

So, regarding the "man" being the head of the Woman.... as Christ is to the Church....well, that's BIBLE.
That's God's order.
If you dont like that, then burn your bible and become a Hindu, or a Buddhist, or a supporter of Gay Rights.

And one more thing......there is the issue of what offices a woman can hold within the "church".
So what is available for the woman?

ITs this.

She, the woman, can hold all the offices, except for one.
She cannot be a PASTOR. (Bishop).
That is the only one she can't perform, according to the scriptures.

Paul teaches it this way........>"a Pastor must be the Husband of One Wife"..

So, if a woman can be a Man....can be a HUSBAND, then she is qualified to be a Pastor.

Is a woman a man? Is she a Husband? Well, gay rights activists would say that you can decide one day that you are no longer a woman, and that makes you a man, and now there are bizarre "rights" that confirm this Social and moral INSANITY.

However, God is not interested in any of that perverted nonsense, and has already decided and solved this understanding, long ago.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
curious how do I scare you sometimes?

No big deal. Just that sometimes you tend to put together verses with what seems to be a common word when they don't actually relate. When I saw a quotation from that website it sort of took it up another notch, LoL. But I realize now you were just playing.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God is The deity of ORDER, not chaos or confusion.
So, when you have chaos and confusion, you have disorder.
Disorder is the Devil's order.

God is all about Mercy, Love, Restoration, Eternal Life, Peace, and Divine Order.
Its God's WILL that things be in Divine Order, as if not, they are lost within secular worldly chaos.

Look at the USA.
It is in Chaos.
Why?
Because God's Moral Law has been subverted there by "Gay Rights", "civil Rights"... And all that is....is... moral corruption.= worrying more about "rights", instead of being MORE concerned with doing what's morally right.
Its that simple.
And this is of course is how the world operates, but see, the USA was the last LIGHT in this world.
The USA was the last real "Christian" Nation, whose Republic and Democracy was founded on the BIBLE and GODLY Principles.

Now that is eroded, decayed, and replaced by all sorts of "Rights" that have destroyed the USA.

So, regarding the "man" being the head of the Woman.... as Christ is to the Church....well, that's BIBLE.
That's God's order.
If you dont like that, then burn your bible and become a Hindu, or a Buddhist, or a supporter of Gay Rights.

And one more thing......there is the issue of what offices a woman can hold within the "church".
So what is available for the woman?

ITs this.

She, the woman, can hold all the offices, except for one.
She cannot be a PASTOR. (Bishop).
That is the only one she can't perform, according to the scriptures.

Paul teaches it this way........>"a Pastor must be the Husband of One Wife"..

So, if a woman can be a Man....can be a HUSBAND, then she is qualified to be a Pastor.

Is a woman a man? Is she a Husband? Well, gay rights activists would say that you can decide one day that you are no longer a woman, and that makes you a man, and now there are bizarre "rights" that confirm this Social and moral INSANITY.

However, God is not interested in any of that perverted nonsense, and has already decided and solved this understanding, long ago.
H8397, H1322, H7036, H2659, H3639, H3637,
H954, H8414, H1322, G4799, G181

Hello @Behold

All of the Strongs numbers (above) are translated 'confusion' as one of their translations, and all have reference to shame in some form. It makes for an interesting study, but reveals the depth to which mankind can fall. However, as you say, ' ... God is not the author of confusion, but of peace ...' (1 Corinthians 14:33)

I agree that within our lifetime the influence of Godly men has diminished, and the nations who could at one time call themselves, 'Christian Countries', are so no longer. And consequently chaos and disorder reigns. David expresses it in Psalm 12:1-4:-

'Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth;
for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
They speak vanity every one with his neighbour:
with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak.
The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips,
and the tongue that speaketh proud things:
Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail;
our lips are our own: who is lord over us?'

* In contrast he says in verses 5-8:-

'For the oppression of the poor, for the sighing of the needy,
now will I arise, saith the LORD;
I will set him in safety from him that puffeth at him.
.. The words of the LORD are pure words:
.... as silver tried in a furnace of earth,
...... purified seven times.
........ Thou shalt keep them, O LORD,
.......... Thou shalt preserve them
............ from this generation for ever.
The wicked walk on every side,
when the vilest men are exalted.'

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, 'contentiousness' is not a 'custom' of either Paul and his co-workers, or in the churches of God. Interesting, when we appear to be surrounded by contentiousness.
Hi Charity, NOT NECESSARY so, listen, Philippians 4:2 "I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord."Philippians 4:3 "And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life." well Paul's co-labourer, or fellow preachers didn't have the same mind in the Lord. which bring me back to 1 Corinthians 11:16. see there is nothing NEW UNDER THE SUN, which says a lot about us..... (smile).

but the elimination of any contentiousness is available, 1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." the same mind? BINGO. Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" again lets remove the contentiousness.

PICJAG

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Charity,
NOT NECESSARY so, listen, Philippians 4:2 "I beseech Euodias, and beseech Syntyche, that they be of the same mind in the Lord."Philippians 4:3 "And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellow-labourers, whose names are in the book of life." well Paul's co-labourer, or fellow preachers didn't have the same mind in the Lord. which bring me back to 1 Corinthians 11:16. see there is nothing NEW UNDER THE SUN, which says a lot about us..... (smile).

but the elimination of any contentiousness is available, 1 Corinthians 1:10 "Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment." the same mind? BINGO. Amos 3:3 "Can two walk together, except they be agreed?" again lets remove the contentiousness.

PICJAG
Hi @101G,

Thank you for your response. I think of Ephesians 4:13-16:-

'Till we all come in the unity of the faith,
and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
unto a perfect man,
unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children,
tossed to and fro,
and carried about with every wind of doctrine,
by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness,
whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love,
may grow up into Him in all things,
which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted
by that which every joint supplieth,
according to the effectual working in the measure of every part,
maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.'

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: 101G

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Divine revelation should never bother Christians. But since the spirit of the world has entered into the churches, there has also been outright rebellion against what God has ordained. And that is in keeping with the apostasy which has entered into the churches.

The Bible is crystal clear about the roles of men and women within the home and within the local church. But those who wish to rebel find every excuse to reinterpret Scripture.

1 Corinthians 11 devotes 16 verses to the need (and spiritual reasons) for Christian women to cover their heads and their hair during Christian worship. But the enemies of the truth dismiss all of that, and claim that since God has given women hair for a covering, then the teaching in that chapter is meaningless, and should be dismissed without further discussion! Thus the Word of God is made of no effect.

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said it is good not to touch a woman. He did not prohibit it (he condemned such a teaching in 1 Timothy 4:3). But if you can't be disciplined in singleness, or you don't want to be single you're good too. For he recognizes that not needing to engage in a marital relationship is a gift and that not everyone has that gift. He even said it's better to get married if you're burning with desire and you can't control yourself.

It's good to be unmarried if you can do that.
It's better for you to get married if you can't control yourself.
Wow, that's a very odd indictment to apply for those of us Christians who are married.
"I do....because I can't control myself enough to stay single."
Gotta tell hubby we've lived a lie all these years.
giggle.gif

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No big deal. Just that sometimes you tend to put together verses with what seems to be a common word when they don't actually relate. When I saw a quotation from that website it sort of took it up another notch, LoL. But I realize now you were just playing.

“Just that sometimes you tend to put together verses with what seems to be a common word when they don't actually relate.” Understand ‘when they don’t actually relate’ but (at least for me who only started reading His word a few of years ago), the verses that might not relate help build how the word changes. What is its definition. How does man use the word. how does God. Like ‘weapon’ or ‘Jew’ ...if I searched on google it would define ‘Jew’ for me. It would define weapon. But is that the only definition? Anyways, I’m sorry if I’m confusing or scare you sometimes. It is the only way I’m able to study, not able to understand commentaries very well. With commentaries I usually become even more confused and depressed, struggling through the day. Just reading and following what He says...there is an excitement, energy to face the day, hope, and a reminder always of His Love and that He isn’t just fables but Living.

Last edited:

WaterSong

Nov 9, 2020
Kansas City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I am in complete subjection to my beautiful loving wife of over 37 years.:)

It's the mean women that don't get along with men. :(
Then don't you think your statement about the women that hate men is unfair? Hate, is a strong word to describe the women you now say you were referring to.
Many men don't get on with women, and vice versa of course. It doesn't mean one hates the other.