Does 1 Corinthians 11:7-9 disturb you?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(man) is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

Woman is the glory of man, because she comes from man.
Woman was created for man.

These are not very popular ideas these days. Do they bother you?

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(man) is the image and glory of God; but the woman is the glory of man. 8For man did not come from woman, but woman from man. 9Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. 1 Corinthians 11:7-9

Nope. As man and woman (wife), married by God, are as a picture of the Godhead. The Father is the man, the Son is as the woman (submitted) being the glory of the Father and for the Father's pleasure (and the eternal Son is of the Father, as the only begotten of the Father), being the blessing. The Spirit uniting them both together.

1Co_11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
The only one disappointed with that order is satan.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

it used to bother ‘disturb’ me. Like being referred to as the weaker vessel. 1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

mostly because I’d been taught being the weaker vessel was a put down or sleight of hand, until 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 11:9 Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

Mark 2:27-28 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: [28] Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Reactions: ReChoired

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

No because I'm a joint heir with Jesus.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No!
Because the key here is symbiosis. That's the part everyone is missing out on because of the 2000 years since it was written.

Glory was a key focus for everyone 2,000 years ago...we don't like to talk about it today in Christiandom for the average person. But without glory you are reviled as an evil or worthless person.

A good woman shares in her good husband's glory. And a good man doesn't have any glory if he doesn't have a good woman.

Just like a good couple has no glory if not for the relationship they have with God.

Symbiosis is the key element missing from this equation.

I understand that this is not in line with some denominations' theologies...too bad!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, because they don't make men like they used to!:p

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

they're not ideas, its the thinking contrary to this that are ideas. things are made to do a certain thing according to its maker, those are not ideas. the ideas are otherwise,

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

no scripture does not bother me, why should it ?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not at all! What a wonderful thought that I could be the glory of God by submitting to Him and honoring Him by doing His will. And likewise what a wonderful thought that a woman - in emulation of Christ and His bride - could be the glory of her husband by doing the same thing.

The only reason I could think of why people would have a problem with either is because:
A. They don't know much about love yet, and/or
B. They don't fully understand the beauty of honoring others through submission yet.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not at all. The members of the Godhead defer to each other. Are we better than the Godhead?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do not brag on male superiority. You have heard that it was said, "woman was created for man", but I say unto you, It is better to humble yourselves before women, for those men are most pleasing to God'.
The hierarchy of male over female in this life makes sense because men are the physically stronger sex; its a biological thing (of the flesh), not a spiritual thing. Men's power over women in this life is a trivial matter and should be shocking to no one on account of physical strength. Male superiority is trivial because it is only true in "this world" (Lucifer's world). Male superiority will not hold true in Heaven, so I caution all not to celebrate the sexual differences of "this world".
What is truly shocking is what Paul said, "there is no male or female" in Christ (Gal. 3:28). And, we need to remember that Jesus taught us "There is no marriage in Heaven" (Matt. 22:30). Also, Paul again, says "It is better for a man not to marry" (because marriage is only allowed by God because of the immorality of "this world") 1 Cor. 7. The question is, Mr. Bueller, does the loss of male superiority in Heaven bother you? Some Christians hate these truths. Following Jesus' example, celibacy is the lifestyle preferred by God. In Heaven we will be like the angels (celibate, neither male nor female), but if we are tempted by "the daughters of men who are good to look upon", then we may fall from Heaven, just like Lucifer and his dark angels. In this world, the sexes are divided because of human immorality. In the next life there will be no males or females, unless the individual is still tempted by sex. Anyone still clinging to sexual differences will be tossed out of Heaven, just like Lucifer.

"The question is, Mr. Bueller, does the loss of male superiority in Heaven bother you?"

Great question...

"It is better for a man not to marry"

MUCH truth to this, His grace IS sufficient. I am celibate and have no problem being so as, there is zero sexual thoughts in my mind. I think God gave me a gift there as, I have no interest and never really have. Was married once, at the age of 19...it did not last. Never again married but I was still in the world and seeking things God would not approve of. He's the best!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The hierarchy of male over female in this life makes sense because men are the physically stronger sex; its a biological thing (of the flesh), not a spiritual thing.
Does this refer to a spiritual thing?

For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. (1 Timothy 2:13-14)​