Does anyone else get this particular telemarketer call?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Once in a while I'll get this phone call. An automated voice asks if this is the number for ....they then spell my name. They say if this is your number, then to press 5.

The first couple of times I got the call, I did press the number. But now I just hang up.

Anyone else getting this call? I wonder what it's about.... perhaps scammers? Got the call today again.

Reactions: MatthewG

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Once in a while I'll get this phone call. An automated voice asks if this is the number for ....they then spell my name. They say if this is your number, then to press 5.

The first couple of times I got the call, I did press the number. But now I just hang up.

Anyone else getting this call? I wonder what it's about.... perhaps scammers? Got the call today again.
Best to just ignore it. Too many scammers to take chances. Be suspicious is my motto.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Debp,

Pearls right,

Yeah you gotta be careful, some of those things record your voice, and they may try to use it against you.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Debp,

Pearls right,

Yeah you gotta be careful, some of those things record your voice, and they may try to use it against you.
So much evil in the world already and more and more ways of defrauding people invented all the time.

I recently got a message saying that this place had a parcel for me but couldn't deliver cos they hadn't got an address and wanted me to give it to them. I was suspicious because I don't give my mobile number to anybody and alsoI hadn't order anything. I didn't respond.

Also I had a text supposedly from my bank saying that my account was being closed due to suspicious activity. Now if that was real it wouldn't have been a text. It is not nice having to be so suspicious all the time but we need to take care.

1 Peter 5:8
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My cell phone has a feature that rolls any call from a number not in my contacts list over to voice mail. Most telemarketers won't bother to leave voicemails; people I do want to talk to usually do. It's a great feature. I wish our house phone had it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My cell phone has a feature that rolls any call from a number not in my contacts list over to voice mail. Most telemarketers won't bother to leave voicemails; people I do want to talk to usually do. It's a great feature. I wish our house phone had it.
It is a good feature and it should come as standard on all phones, including land lines.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I ask what cell phone, and service do you use brother? That IS an awesome feature!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I ask what cell phone, and service do you use brother? That IS an awesome feature!
Hi, Nancy!

I have Verizon service on an iPhone, and it's a setting under "Phone" called "Silence Unknown Callers". I can also block specific callers if I want to.

The landline is something I picked up Best Buy, and unfortunately, it doesn't have contact lists or other such features, but it does have caller ID. We just handle it the old-school way - by ignoring any Caller ID we don't recognize.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi, Nancy!

I have Verizon service on an iPhone, and it's a setting under "Phone" called "Silence Unknown Callers". I can also block specific callers if I want to.

The landline is something I picked up Best Buy, and unfortunately, it doesn't have contact lists or other such features, but it does have caller ID. We just handle it the old-school way - by ignoring any Caller ID we don't recognize.
I knew you were gonna say "Verizon" AND iPhone. Lol, I have an android and can block calls as well. Just not the rolling over of calls not in my contacts to voice mail, and you are right, they NEVER leave a message. It's really easy to know them as there is a small pause at the beginning of the call...plenty of time to hang up, lol. Thanks for the info LAMB!!!!

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My cell has this feature too and it's just a cheap Samsung, with ATT. It will also say whether it's spam risk or an invalid # according to my contact list.

Scammers us all cell #. My relatives have even had their own numbers call them by scammers.

I'm not a phone person, only use it for business, so I rarely use mine. I video or text per my messenger app to my family .

You're right, they never leave messages! :Laughingoutloud::Laughingoutloud::Laughingoutloud::Laughingoutloud::Laughingoutloud:

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Debp,

Pearls right,

I've heard never to say "yes"....so I always say "speaking" or "what is it about?"

I sometimes watch Scammer Payback and Kitboga. They really helped me understand how the scammers operate.

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've heard never to say "yes"....so I always say "speaking" or "what is it about?"

I sometimes watch Scammer Payback and Kitboga. They really helped me understand how the scammers operate.

A thought comes to mind is > AI which can sound similar to you.

I have had a few calls lately out of the blue, its rare though.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Lambano and Debp