Does God kill off believers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Is there any stories in the Bible about God killing off believers because of too much sin.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
1 Corinthians 5:1-5 "It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife.2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this? 3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this. 4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord."

I think this man died, which is why it says "he may be saved on the day of the Lord." It really is a perplexing situation, the implication is if he were allowed to continue to sin in this way he would not be saved on the day of the Lord.

What I have discerned is that Un-repented sin is deadly for the soul if one persists in it. Every effort should be made to persuade everyone to repent. The eternal soul of the sinner is the primary intent of all godly discipline. The sin can be repented of, or the means of sinning removed.

Reactions: KingJ

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
lforrest said:
1 Corinthians 5:1-5 "It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that even pagans do not tolerate: A man is sleeping with his father’s wife.2 And you are proud! Shouldn’t you rather have gone into mourning and have put out of your fellowship the man who has been doing this? 3 For my part, even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. As one who is present with you in this way, I have already passed judgment in the name of our Lord Jesus on the one who has been doing this. 4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord."

I think this man died, which is why it says "he may be saved on the day of the Lord." It really is a perplexing situation, the implication is if he were allowed to continue to sin in this way he would not be saved on the day of the Lord.

What I have discerned is that Un-repented sin is deadly for the soul if one persists in it. Every effort should be made to persuade everyone to repent. The eternal soul of the sinner is the primary intent of all godly discipline. The sin can be repented of, or the means of sinning removed.
1 Cor 5:5 is saying that even though sin killed him, he will still inherit eternal life?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:

I think this man died, which is why it says "he may be saved on the day of the Lord."

Well, the context suggests he was alive and committing this sin with many people knowing of it. It does appear to possibly be a suggestion that the man be killed as it was done in the OT.

"Hand this man over"....that is action on the part of the people directly upon the sinful man. How do you hand over someone to Satan especially when he is clearly already with Satan in a spiritual sense. Destruction of flesh has to be a reference to being dead and the process which destroys the flesh.

Interesting passage.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 5:1-5
1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
ATP said:
1 Cor 5:5 is saying that even though sin killed him, he will still inherit eternal life?
As I understand it he didn't die in his sin. The congregation turned him over to Satan before that could happen. Perhaps the suffering on his deathbed was intended to lead him to repentance before the end. It also carried a strong message to the church about the seriousness of sin.

If he continued as he had been doing up to his eventual sudden death without having repented, then he would not inherit eternal life.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
lforrest said:
If he continued as he had been doing up to his eventual sudden death without having repented, then he would not inherit eternal life.
1 Cor 3:13-15 NIV his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
lforrest said:
As I understand it he didn't die in his sin. The congregation turned him over to Satan before that could happen. Perhaps the suffering on his deathbed was intended to lead him to repentance before the end.

Were they responsible for him being on his deathbed or the suffering there?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
ATP said:
1 Cor 3:13-15 NIV his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. 14 If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. 15 If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames.
By the context that appears to be concerning the quality of good works being tested. I don't see that as being applicable.

ewq1938 said:
Were they responsible for him being on his deathbed or the suffering there?
The leaders in the congregation should have rebuked him instead of supporting his sin, that was their responsibility. Then when Paul told them to hand the man over to Satan it became their responsibility to do that.
So I would say the leaders of the congregation were partly responsible for the situation escalating all the way to Paul, which lead to the man's suffering and death. But as for the man's death and suffering itself it was caused by Satan.

It wasn't a good situation for anyone, but if it meant he was saved in the end his suffering was worth it.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
lforrest said:
By the context that appears to be concerning the quality of good works being tested. I don't see that as being applicable.
Eph 1:13-14 NIV And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory.

Eph 4:30 NIV And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Suppose you're driving home and keep falling asleep at the wheel. Your front seat passenger doesn't want to wake you. Then you veer into oncoming traffic and are headed straight for a semi truck. Before the collision someone you relegated to the back seat has to reach forward and grab the wheel. You avoid a deadly head-on collision, but end up in a ditch. The car is totalled.

When you drive you are surrounded by danger. One jerk of the wheel could spell disaster. Yet we go out every day confident in our ability to drive safely. At least let Jesus into the front seat and listen to his directions and warnings because he will keep you safe. Those who reject him from entering the car are in danger of damnation.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
lforrest said:
Those who reject him from entering the car are in danger of damnation.
Eph 4:30 NIV And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

1 Cor 3:15 NIV Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible - but he himself shall be saved; with an everlasting salvation; not by his ministerial labours, much less by his wood, hay, and stubble, which will be all burnt up; but through his being, notwithstanding all the imperfections of his ministry, upon the foundation Christ:

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
5 And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.

As BG suggested, this would be the closest biblical example...

Yet their eternal condition is never mentioned in the text.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
justaname said:

As BG suggested, this would be the closest biblical example...

Yet their eternal condition is never mentioned in the text.
John 6:47 NIV Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ananias, Sapphira died under the wrath of God so their is no eternal life.

It was eternal judgement on them. No resurrection for them.

so don't lie to the Holy Ghost

You know where liars goes according to the Book of Revelation.

So we do have proof a believer can fall from grace and die.

Only a righteous believer can hold on to the gift of Life forever.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bible_Gazer said:
Ananias, Sapphira died under the wrath of God so their is no eternal life.

It was eternal judgement on them. No resurrection for them.

so don't lie to the Holy Ghost

You know where liars goes according to the Book of Revelation.

So we do have proof a believer can fall from grace and die.

Only a righteous believer can hold on to the gift of Life forever.
But wouldn't that make God the liar. I don't see the lake of fire mentioned in Acts 5.

Isa 64:6 NIV All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Bible_Gazer

Mar 7, 2014
Bloomington, Indiana
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ATP said:
But wouldn't that make God the liar. I don't see the lake of fire mentioned in Acts 5.

Isa 64:6 NIV All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.
No God don't lie
So he says " you sin you die" and there you go.

Just choose a one liner and stand on it only right ? and forget the content around it.

Isa. 654:6 don't you see it as self righteousness ?

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
Bible_Gazer said:
No God don't lie
So he says " you sin you die" and there you go.

Just choose a one liner and stand on it only right ? and forget the content around it.

Isa. 654:6 don't you see it as self righteousness ?
Sin bringing death has nothing to do with your eternal security. Sin = death is simply stating a fact about sin.

Heb 9:12 NLT With his own blood--not the blood of goats and calves--he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.

ATP

Jan 3, 2015
U.S.A.
We don't lose salvation, rather we lose rewards and crowns in heaven.

1 - CROWN 1 - CROWN OF RIGHTEOUSNESS— LOVED THE LORD'S APPEARING - 2 Tim 4:8
2 - CROWN 2 - INCORRUPTIBLE CROWN— DISCIPLINED BODIES / SELF-CONTROL - 1 Cor 9:25-27
3 - CROWN 3 - CROWN OF LIFE— ENDURED PATIENTLY THRU TRIALS - James 1:12, Rev 2:10
4 - CROWN 4 - CROWN OF GLORY— GODLY LEADERS WHO WERE EXAMPLES TO FLOCK - 1 Pet 5:2-4
5 - CROWN 5 - CROWN OF REJOICING— SOUL WINNERS CROWN - 1 Thess 2:19, Dan 12:3