Does God mind if idols of 'saints' are worshipped in church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Added WHAT?
"with no remorse".

I'm not sure why, but you did, and acted like the other fellow had said that. If I were to guess why, I'd guess it was because it made the other fellow sound more extreme. But I don't actually know.

Much love!

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was once a sinner, but now, because I accepted the blood sacrifice of Jesus, the bible calls me - and all true Christians - a saint. It isn't arrogant to accept Gods grace. I lived a life of sin, as does even the kindest, nicest person without that spiritual re-birth. Now I live with the knowledge of what sin is whereas before I didn't recognise it.
Sorry, but you're STILL a sinner...as are WE ALL. You're not 'perfect', Pearl. And since you're not perfect, you STILL sin.
The forgiveness has already been given to those of us who are truly born again.
No. The forgiveness is OFFERED to us. Not necessarily granted to us, without our repentance.
But we live in a grimy world and often get 'dirty feet' . Jesus told Peter He didn't need a bath but only his feet washing. Confessing to a priest won't get you forgiven, you need to confess to God directly.
Catholics DO confess to God... through a priest. Just like we confess to God THROUGH Jesus.
Christians don't need priests because we have direct access to God throne. In fact the bible tells us we are part of a Holy Priesthood.
And, what's your point?

James tells us to "confess to one another." You want to use the bible? O.k. WHERE does the bible say, "DON'T EVER confess to a priest."?

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, but you're STILL a sinner...as are WE ALL. You're not 'perfect', Pearl. And since you're not perfect, you STILL sin.
Sorry Mink, but I choose to believe that i am a new creation. I know I am not perfect and I do still 'sin' but I don't SIN - which means to miss the target - God's standard. He accepts me through the blood of His Son. If I was still a sinner Jesus' sacrifice would have been for nothing.
No. The forgiveness is OFFERED to us. Not necessarily granted to us, without our repentance.
But we don't have to keep on repenting. Not like sinning, repenting, confessing and then sinning again and same old roundabout. My repentance was turning my back on my old life so that I could embrace the new life that Jesus has given me. How wonderful that He now lives in me by His Holy Spirit.

• Love
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James tells us to "confess to one another." You want to use the bible? O.k. WHERE does the bible say, "DON'T EVER confess to a priest."?
James 5:16 KJV
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

It occurs to me . . . The Bible does not forbid eating anvils . . . But I don't recommend it, thinking you will be nourished.

Much love!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Having this conversation @Mink57 is making me sad. You need that lightbulb moment when it all becomes clear. Without that you won't 'get' any of the things I've said to you. And seeing the light only comes by turning away from your old life and asking Jesus to come in. And then you will understand.

The Gospel or Good News about Jesus.

Because we are all sinners we are separated from God, but God loves us all so much that he wants us to be able to approach him without sin standing in our way.

To achieve this he sent his only son Jesus into the world to take the punishment we deserve and atone for the sin we have in our lives. To do this Jesus died a cruel death in agony nailed to a cross.

But he rose from the grave in victory over sin and death. Satan was defeated. Jesus willingly gave his life for us so that we can have everlasting life. If we repent of our sin and turn to him, giving our lives to him, he will forgive us and reconcile us with God.

Our slates will be wiped clean and we can have a brand new start and become a new creation adopted into God's family. And by the power of the Holy Spirit we can live the sort of lives that will please God and gives joy and peace.

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, is it o.k. to kill...that is, to murder or not? Yup, a Commandment.

Yes or no?
What about any of Jesus' Commandments?

Yes or no?

I'm a hopeless commandment-keeper, my friend.

That's generally considered an arrogant thing to say in today's postmodern online salad of ultra-literalism and skepticism, but:

:musicn2: "Gimme that ol' time religion...":musicn2:

You know what I mean?​

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or any place for that matter, does the Bible say anything on this issue or is it silent, lets check scripture and see what it has...

Leviticus 19:4
Turn ye not unto idols, nor make to yourselves molten gods: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 26:1
Ye shall make you no idols nor graven image, neither rear you up a standing image, neither shall ye set up any image of stone in your land, to bow down unto it: for I am the LORD your God.

2 Kings 17:12
For they served idols, whereof the LORD had said unto them, Ye shall not do this thing.

2 Chronicles 24:18
And they left the house of the LORD God of their fathers, and served groves and idols: and wrath came upon Judah and Jerusalem for this their trespass.

Deuteronomy 29:17
And ye have seen their abominations, and their idols, wood and stone, silver and gold, which were among them:)

Psalm 135:15
The idols of the heathen are silver and gold, the work of men's hands.

Isaiah 2:8
Their land also is full of idols; they worship the work of their own hands, that which their own fingers have made:

Habakkuk 2:18
What profiteth the graven image that the maker thereof hath graven it; the molten image, and a teacher of lies, that the maker of his work trusteth therein, to make dumb idols?

2 Corinthians 6:16
And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

1 John 5:21
Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen.

Revelation 9:20
And the rest of the men which were not killed by these plagues yet repented not of the works of their hands, that they should not worship devils, and idols of gold, and silver, and brass, and stone, and of wood: which neither can see, nor hear, nor walk:

That seems pretty clear, so how can the Catholic Church bring idols before its people, how can they claim to follow God when they worship idols which He forbid, how can they justify it when the Bible is so clear........

Careful not to miss the point.

"Idols" by definition refers to things "of nought, good for nothing, worthless."

Consider that God has created man--even the Son of man, from the same elements He referred to as being "emptiness, void, waste", as a mere "image" of God. Thus, if one were to ask the above idol question of those who have and do worship Jesus (the Son of man), should He not also be including in their own "image" of who Jesus is?

In other words, there are images, and there are images, all of which are "good for nothing", except the One (whether seen or unseen). And what of the images of the One, of Jesus--is the Father right to send the Son in their own image, but we are not right but wrong to receive Him as such? Or what about making our own images of Jesus--do the words of scripture not also paint a picture, and are they not inscribed by the hands of mere men? Are the prophets and scribes therefore also condemned?

But no, there is no sin in keeping or conveying the likeness of the One True God; and it is not worship of these things to create, or to keep such images--if they themselves are not worshipped, no more than it is to worship Him within one's heart or mind. In fact--it is good to do so.

It is only the keeping and worshipping of all others that is wrong.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Careful not to miss the point.

"Idols" by definition refers to things "of nought, good for nothing, worthless."

Consider that God has created man--even the Son of man, from the same elements He referred to as being "emptiness, void, waste", as a mere "image" of God. Thus, if one were to ask the above idol question of those who have and do worship Jesus (the Son of man), should He not also be including in their own "image" of who Jesus is?

In other words, there are images, and there are images, all of which are "good for nothing", except the One (whether seen or unseen). And what of the images of the One, of Jesus--is the Father right to send the Son in their own image, but we are not right but wrong to receive Him as such? Or what about making our own images of Jesus--do the words of scripture not also paint a picture, and are they not inscribed by the hands of mere men? Are the prophets and scribes therefore also condemned?

But no, there is no sin in keeping or conveying the likeness of the One True God; and it is not worship of these things to create, or to keep such images--if they themselves are not worshipped, no more than it is to worship Him within one's heart or mind. In fact--it is good to do so.

It is only the keeping and worshipping of all others that is wrong.

You think way too much, Scott. ;)

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, is it o.k. to kill...that is, to murder or not? Yup, a Commandment.

Yes or no?
What about any of Jesus' Commandments?

Yes or no?
Whose Commandments do you think were on the two tablets of stone...

Exodus 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Whose Commandments do you think were on the two tablets of stone...

Exodus 31:18
And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.
I responded to Barney Fife...not YOU, Hobie...

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I

I responded to Barney Fife...not YOU, Hobie...

That's kinda weird, considering you were responding to a response I made to someone else—not you.

So what's the rule?

All commandments are the property of Jesus Christ, by the way.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
YES! But unfortunately, so MANY of us have NO IDEA what it means to "Love your neighbor." Too many put the second Commandment as a DISTANT second, to the point of practically ignoring it.

The Bible says that we should put others FIRST. How many of us DO that? I get that SOMETIMES we have to put ourselves first...but only in order to be able to HELP OTHERS.

We are supposed to fulfill the Commandments of murder, adultery, lying, honoring parents, etc. Yet...DO we? After all, Jesus DID tell us that he was here to fulfill...and not to abolish.

We need to practice what Jesus taught us. Simply saying, "I love the Lord" ain't enough. We have to show it.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
YES! But unfortunately, so MANY of us have NO IDEA what it means to "Love your neighbor."
To love one's neighbour means to care about other people.

Mink57

Aug 4, 2020
Las Vegas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And if you are loving them, you are certainly not killing them, stealing from them, coveting their possessions, etc.
...or swearing at them, cursing at them, cutting in front of them in line...thinking, 'Hey! the grocery clerk gave me back 10 cents MORE than I should have gotten!...or having a child come up to you and say, "Hey dad..." and you replying, 'Not NOW..." and then never going back to him...Or looking at a homeless man on the street and passing him by...Or hearing that someone you knew from years back is in the hospital, and not taking the time to visit....etc, etc, etc....

Or how about smacking someone down because they don't believe what YOU believe...or HOW you believe?

Something tells me that many who proclaim to be Christian...

...aren't Christian at all...:(

Last edited: