Does God mind if idols of 'saints' are worshipped in church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if man saw an angel of Gods he might tend to worship them as a power greater than himself. Not that it is right to do that, but I did notice in scripture that when someone sees an angel they tend to call them lord. And then usually the angel tells them not to worship them. And directs them to worship God instead.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”
Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’[c] This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
If you follow this, you would not follow other gods or make graven images, as you would strive to do what God who you love asks of you..

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you follow this, you would not follow other gods or make graven images, as you would strive to do what God who you love asks of you..
Amen. I covers everything.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think if man saw an angel of Gods he might tend to worship them as a power greater than himself. Not that it is right to do that, but I did notice in scripture that when someone sees an angel they tend to call them lord. And then usually the angel tells them not to worship them. And directs them to worship God instead.
Well, its clear that only God is worthy of our worship so the angels and scripture lays it out, and so these idols are a abomination.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, its clear that only God is worthy of our worship so the angels and scripture lays it out, and so these idols are a abomination.
Abomination? You're sure?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What would you call it then...
Depends on what you consider an idol. Mostly every church I know has some statue. And many have crosses in similar manor to idols of worship.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Depends on what you consider an idol. Mostly every church I know has some statue. And many have crosses in similar manor to idols of worship.
Neither of the churches I've been part of have idols or crosses apart from a small one on the altar at the Anglican church. There were some beautiful stained glass windows though. But they are to tell a story not to be revered. My now church has only a painting done by one of my friends of a rugged cross standing alone in a pile of rock and draped in a garment of some sort. There is a story behind it but as it's a long time since I read the description under the painting I forget what that is.

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Neither of the churches I've been part of have idols or crosses apart from a small one on the altar at the Anglican church. There were some beautiful stained glass windows though. But they are to tell a story not to be revered. My now church has only a painting done by one of my friends of a rugged cross standing alone in a pile of rock and draped in a garment of some sort. There is a story behind it but as it's a long time since I read the description under the painting I forget what that is.
I'm not really concerned with calling crosses or statues idols. I really don't mind them as I don't worship them anyways. ;)

Reactions: Pearl

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is something they read in church today...

Idolaters Condemned​

1 Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me. 2 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 3 “Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? 4 Therefore speak to them and tell them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: When any of the Israelites set up idols in their hearts and put a wicked stumbling block before their faces and then go to a prophet, I the Lord will answer them myself in keeping with their great idolatry. 5 I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.’
6 “Therefore say to the people of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is something they read in church today...

Idolaters Condemned​

1 Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me. 2 Then the word of the Lord came to me: 3 “Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces. Should I let them inquire of me at all? 4 Therefore speak to them and tell them, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: When any of the Israelites set up idols in their hearts and put a wicked stumbling block before their faces and then go to a prophet, I the Lord will answer them myself in keeping with their great idolatry. 5 I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.’
6 “Therefore say to the people of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!
That is referring to replacing God with an idol. That is what it says. I'm not sure an angel statue or cross counts as that.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is referring to replacing God with an idol. That is what it says. I'm not sure an angel statue or cross counts as that.
Well, when you come to worship and there is idol, statue or cross, what do the people do...they bow down to it and some direct their prayers to it.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just for clarification, all Christians are saints according to scripture.
But some will not let go of sin and iniquity and will loose their reward in the heavenly kingdom..
Luke 13:26-27
26 Then shall ye begin to say, We have eaten and drunk in thy presence, and thou hast taught in our streets.
27 But he shall say, I tell you, I know you not whence ye are; depart from me, all ye workers of iniquity.