Does it concern you that gospels were written so many years after Jesus died?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BobVance

Jan 18, 2021
Vandalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, if you cannot be certain about this fundamental fact, you might as well throw up hands and give up. Since God created the universe, and He is a living God, He also created His written Word -- His revelation to mankind (which is also a living Word).
Amen Brother!!!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So what? What does the inspired Word of God say? It matters not when it was written. Why are are you even on a Christian Forum? Just to antagonize folks?
A Christian with honest doubts obviously bothers you

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is possible that the Gospels were all written between 40 and 70 AD.

More than probable. Virtually certain. James quotes the gospel of Matthew profusely. I can go get the parallel texts if anyone needs it, but it's blatantly obvious on close analysis. And since James is the earliest written epistle in the NT and generally dated to around 45 A.D., this means the Gospel of Matthew is earlier than that, and likely in the neighborhood of 40 A.D. at the latest. Some also attribute Mark as having the marks of being earlier than Matthew (being shorter and more concise, which would normally precede longer versions, not the other way around), so this suggests that Mark was likely even earlier than that.

The argument that the gospels were written after 70 A.D. is falacious, and flies directly in the face of internal evidence contained within the pages of the New Testament itself.

Reactions: marks and Enoch111

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And faith comes by hearing the word of God (Romans 10:17).

Romans 10:17
So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

And what are those other ways you think there are to overcome Satan?
Prayer
fasting
Christian fellowship
And so on

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The argument that the gospels were written after 70 A.D. is fictitious, and flies directly in the face of internal evidence contained within the pages of the New Testament itself.
Google search is misleading then ?

"Like the rest of the New Testament, the four gospels were written in Greek. The Gospel of Mark probably dates from c. AD 66–70, Matthew and Luke around AD 85–90, and John AD 90–110. Despite the traditional ascriptions, all four are anonymous and most scholars agree that none were written by eyewitnesses."

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Google search is misleading then ?

"Like the rest of the New Testament, the four gospels were written in Greek. The Gospel of Mark probably dates from c. AD 66–70, Matthew and Luke around AD 85–90, and John AD 90–110. Despite the traditional ascriptions, all four are anonymous and most scholars agree that none were written by eyewitnesses."

You can find anything on Google search, including some of the most ridiculous and uninformed suppositions out there, which is what the above sounds like. What you have to learn to do is think for yourself. Otherwise you will forever be a victim of a million voices swirling around in your head, and never be able to trust any of them. The things I know I know from the Spirit of the Lord having shown them to me. If you study James and Matthew in comparison, He will show you the same thing as well.

God bless,
- H

Last edited:

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
These things will not avail you any advantage over Satan if done like this:

Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.
Scripture your only go to, sir tsk tsk ...

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Like the rest of the New Testament, the four gospels were written in Greek. The Gospel of Mark probably dates from c. AD 66–70, Matthew and Luke around AD 85–90, and John AD 90–110. Despite the traditional ascriptions, all four are anonymous and most scholars agree
This is from Wikipedia guys.
Wikipedia written by Satan??

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah ...your only source...
And the source that was written up to 70 years after the events...
Dare I research another source eh ...
This is from Wikipedia guys.
Wikipedia written by Satan??

You could search the works of Aleister Crowley, or the major works by famous Luciferians from the last four centuries, and they will all likewise give you different opinions as well. They can all likewise be Googled. The question is, who are you willing to listen to? Those who put their trust in what the scriptures themselves say are placing their trust in scripture as the written word of God.

Do you believe this as well?

Last edited:
Reactions: BobVance

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do.
That's why I'm looking outside scripture.
So you are saying wiki got it wrong here...maybe you should tell them

I like Wiki. I find it a valuable resource. But I never put my trust in anything, including Wiki, to be 100% right all the time. Do you?

BobVance

Jan 18, 2021
Vandalia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can find anything on Google search, including some of the most ridiculous and uninformed suppositions out there, which is what the above sounds like. What you have to learn to do is think for yourself. Otherwise you will be forever be a victim of a million voices swirling around in your head, and never be able to trust any of them. The things I know I know from the Spirit of the Lord having shown them to me. If you study James and Matthew in comparison, He will show you the same thing as well.

God bless,
- H
So true. We are to be Spirit Filled Spirit Led followers of Christ.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?
You are just way too pessimistic and cynical to qualify yourself as a Christian. I didn't mind, what I thought to be, sincere challenges to Christian Theology, that every serious exegete should consider. But, to date, you have shown no wisdom, no faith, no constructive thoughts, no remedies to any of the Christian difficulties that you have addressed. You need to reconsider the title that you wear, and that you profess to the world to be.

The extant Greek manuscripts that are published, are over 5,800 in number. The earliest dating from 125 Ad (fragmentary). The two complete uncials (both testaments) date around 350 AD. All the 5800+, are from various places over the known ancient world, they survived persecution, fires, wars, and intrigue. If one were to include other translations, quotes from Patristic period theologians, lectionaries and commentaries, the surviving testimony is in the millions.
Between all these evidences, the viable and material variants are below 10%. Paleography predominantly, and carbon dating, has allowed the scholars in these fields to date these manuscripts within 50 years +-. Even after the major discoveries at Oxyrhynchus, Mount Sinai and Qumran, the precision that was retained between the earliest and latest manuscripts that we have, should instill confidence in the transmission tradition, to even the most ardent skeptics. It does not take a spiritualist to appreciate the miraculous preservation of the autographs, that has occurred in regard to both the Hebrew and Christian Bibles. I have barely even touched on the subject.

Last edited:

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lived and died.
I think Paul's letters were written before the gospels.
John was written about 70 years after Jesus death?
It bothers me. How can the events described in the gospel be totally accurate.
Are we all just too gullible?
Lots of unbelief in your post!
Hebrews 3:18-19 (NKJV)
18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey?
19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Reactions: BobVance