Does John 1:1 say Jesus is God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God did not need to become a man and give his life because the Almighty is immortal and cannot die. He “sent” his son to carry out that mission...one who the apostles called God’s “holy servant” (Acts 4:27) Can God be his own servant?
That’s Arianism, Patrick!

Reactions: Wrangler

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't want to talk about John 1:1.

I'm perfectly content and at peace with John 1:1.

I know exactly what God meant when He inspired John to speak of The Word.

He meant Jesus Christ and no amount of dissecting the words or language can discount all of the rest of the Bible that defines what is meant there.

Logos, lagos, pogos, pagos blah, blah, blah. It makes zero difference whatsoever. All that matters is how the rest of the Scripture defines it.

And it defines The Word as Jesus Christ.

Plain and simple.

And you can't dissect, or explain, that away.

Yeah I can...

The logos is the expression of God and is His communication of Himself just as a "word" is an outward expression of a person's thoughts. This outward expression of God has now occurred through His Son and thus it's perfectly understandable why Jesus is called the "Word." Jesus is an outward expression of God's reason, wisdom, purpose and plan. For the same reason we call revelation "a word from God" and the Bible "the Word of God."

If we understand that the logos is God's expression... His plan, purpose, reason and wisdom. Then it is clear they were with Him "in the beginning." Scripture says God's wisdom was "from the beginning" and it was common in Hebrew writing to personify a concept such as wisdom. No ancient Jew reading Proverbs would think that God's wisdom was a separate person, even though it's portrayed as one in verses like Proverbs 8:29 and 30: "...when He marked out the foundations of the earth... I [wisdom]was the craftsman at his side..."

Most Jewish readers of the gospel of John would have been familiar with the concept of God's "word" being with God as He worked to bring His creation into existence. There is an obvious working of God's power in Genesis 1 as He brings His plan into concretion by speaking things into being. The Targums are well known for describing the wisdom and action of God as His "word." This is especially important to note because the Targums are the Aramaic translations and paraphrases of the Old Testament, and Aramaic was the spoken language of many Jews at the time of Christ. Remembering that a Targum is usually a paraphrase of what the Hebrew text says, note how the following examples attribute action to the word:

And the word of the Lord was Joseph's helper (Genesis 39:2).
And Moses brought the people to meet the word of the Lord (Exodus 19:17).
And the word of the Lord accepted the face of Job (Job 42:9).
And the word of the Lord shall laugh them to scorn (Psalms 2:4).
They believed in the name of His word (Psalms 106:12).

The above examples demonstrate that the Jews were familiar with the idea of God's Word referring to His wisdom and action. This is especially important to note because these Jews were fiercely monotheistic, and did not in any way believe in a "Triune God." They were familiar with the idioms of their own language, and understood that the wisdom and power of God were being personified as "word."

The Greek-speaking Jews were also familiar with God's creative force being called "the word." J.H. Bernard writes, "When we turn from Palestine to Alexandria [Egypt], from Hebrew sapiential [wisdom] literature to that which was written in Greek, we find this creative wisdom identified with the Divine logos, Hebraism and Hellenism thus coming into contact." One example of this is in the Apocryphal book known as the Wisdom of Solomon, which says, "O God of my fathers and Lord of mercy who hast made all things by thy word (logos), and by thy wisdom hast formed man..." In this verse, the "word" and wisdom" are seen as the creative force of God, but without being a "person."

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The logos is the expression of God and is His communication of Himself just as a "word" is an outward expression of a person's thoughts. This outward expression of God has now occurred through His Son and thus it's perfectly understandable why Jesus is called the "Word." Jesus is an outward expression of God's reason, wisdom, purpose and plan. For the same reason we call revelation "a word from God" and the Bible "the Word of God."

If we understand that the logos is God's expression... His plan, purpose, reason and wisdom. Then it is clear they were with Him "in the beginning." Scripture says God's wisdom was "from the beginning" and it was common in Hebrew writing to personify a concept such as wisdom. No ancient Jew reading Proverbs would think that God's wisdom was a separate person, even though it's portrayed as one in verses like Proverbs 8:29 and 30: "...when He marked out the foundations of the earth... I [wisdom]was the craftsman at his side..."

Most Jewish readers of the gospel of John would have been familiar with the concept of God's "word" being with God as He worked to bring His creation into existence. There is an obvious working of God's power in Genesis 1 as He brings His plan into concretion by speaking things into being. The Targums are well known for describing the wisdom and action of God as His "word." This is especially important to note because the Targums are the Aramaic translations and paraphrases of the Old Testament, and Aramaic was the spoken language of many Jews at the time of Christ. Remembering that a Targum is usually a paraphrase of what the Hebrew text says, note how the following examples attribute action to the word:

And the word of the Lord was Joseph's helper (Genesis 39:2).
And Moses brought the people to meet the word of the Lord (Exodus 19:17).
And the word of the Lord accepted the face of Job (Job 42:9).
And the word of the Lord shall laugh them to scorn (Psalms 2:4).
They believed in the name of His word (Psalms 106:12).

The above examples demonstrate that the Jews were familiar with the idea of God's Word referring to His wisdom and action. This is especially important to note because these Jews were fiercely monotheistic, and did not in any way believe in a "Triune God." They were familiar with the idioms of their own language, and understood that the wisdom and power of God were being personified as "word."

The Greek-speaking Jews were also familiar with God's creative force being called "the word." J.H. Bernard writes, "When we turn from Palestine to Alexandria [Egypt], from Hebrew sapiential [wisdom] literature to that which was written in Greek, we find this creative wisdom identified with the Divine logos, Hebraism and Hellenism thus coming into contact." One example of this is in the Apocryphal book known as the Wisdom of Solomon, which says, "O God of my fathers and Lord of mercy who hast made all things by thy word (logos), and by thy wisdom hast formed man..." In this verse, the "word" and wisdom" are seen as the creative force of God, but without being a "person."

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Peterlag

Nice job.

I think you've successfully convinced yourself.

In all my years of discussing/debating all of these things, and encountering the people like yourself who have a deep need to overanalyze the Bible and research the modern science and all the complex semantics, etc., I have come to the realization that people who desperately need to prove that the Bible means what it says cannot possibly have a close relationship to the LORD. They cannot possibly have a passion for His Words and seek what HE has to say on every topic, and what HE has to say about absolute Truth, etc.

Those with a decent faith, and who are certainly filled with the Holy Spirit, who Truly love God and His Word, are in love with HIS Words in the Bible; and accept what HE has to say on things.

Who falls in love with somebody and then researches and background checks and asks around and studies and checks and re-checks everything that person says or does?

I'll tell you who.

Those who do not at all trust that person. Those who are filled with doubt about that person. Those who are not at all sold out for that person.

In other words, NOBODY can be in love with a person they work that hard to prove wrong in every single way.

Therefore, the people like yourself who are constantly struggling and striving to claim "The Bible says this, but can't possibly mean that because of A, B, C, D and X, Y, Z, etc." or "What the Bible really means when it says this is .... ", those people cannot possibly be True Christians.

It is so clearly evident. And isn't it interesting that the vast majority of them don't even admit Christ is God?

Hmmm ..... curiouser and curiouser.

So, the real question is: Why are you even here?

Last edited:
Reactions: RLT63

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hypostatic Union
(from Wikipedia … the most easily confirmed source on the planet … even if it is not where I originally learned of it.)
"Hypostatic union (from the Greek: ὑπόστασις hypóstasis, "sediment, foundation, substance, subsistence") is a technical term in Christian theology employed in mainstream Christology to describe the union of Christ's humanity and divinity in one hypostasis, or individual existence.[1]

The most basic explanation for the hypostatic union is Jesus Christ being both fully God and fully man. He is both perfectly divine and perfectly human, having two complete and distinct natures at once." (WIKI)

LOL...not a biased source or anything.....hmmx1:
Who instituted "Christian theology"? The church did.....not Jesus. "Theology" is what the church thinks the Bible says.....Nowhere in all of scripture do we find any statement that Jesus is both fully God and fully man...that is an impossibility. If Jesus was 100% mortal human, he cannot at the same time be 100% immortal God.
Jesus had to die the same death as Adam....he had to be Adam's equivalent to pay the ransom demanded by God's law....'a sinless human life for a sinless human life'.

"Mainstream Christology".....seriously,.....how can you quote such a biased source? What else are they going to say? :doldrums:
Good grief! :no reply:

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have come to the realization that people who desperately need to prove that the Bible means what it says cannot possibly have a close relationship to the LORD
Proving what I wrote in another thread; invariably mystical dualists have to ignore basic questions and resort to attacking those who don’t agree with them as lacking.

This post is projecting and the desperateness is seen in denying the inequality of the ‘persons’ of the trinity, e.g., why it’s OK to blaspheme Jesus but not God’s spirit.

Last edited:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
mystical dualists have to ignore basic questions and resort to attacking those who don’t agree with them
You do realize this ridiculous term, that you've latched onto for dear life and are wearing ... out is completely made up, don't you?

Can you present any official definition for it since you keep throwing it around as if it's some sophisticated concept?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize this ridiculous term, that you've latched onto for dear life and are wearing ... out is completely made up, don't you?

Can you present any official definition for it since you keep throwing it around as if it's some sophisticated concept?
If the shoe fits …

The genus of folks with your beliefs exist. I merely properly identified what that is. In your world view, logic does not apply to the subject under discussion, specifically the principle of mutual exclusivity. My short hand for this is mystical dualism.

And I’ve explained this numerous times before.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who instituted "Christian theology"? The church did.....not Jesus. "Theology" is what the church thinks the Bible says.....Nowhere in all of scripture do we find any statement that Jesus is both fully God and fully man...that is an impossibility. If Jesus was 100% mortal human, he cannot at the same time be 100% immortal God.
:Laughingoutloud:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The genus of folks with your beliefs exist. I merely properly identified what that is. In your world view, logic does not apply to the subject under discussion, specifically the principle of mutual exclusivity. My short hand for this is mystical dualism.
And what exactly is it that you think I believe? Because you've repeatedly referred to my belief as a Father-Son-Only deity. That is not what I believe.

And how is my belief mutually exclusive?
And I’ve explained this numerous times before.
Not to me you haven't.

Once or twice does not equate to numerous times.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Who falls in love with somebody and then researches and background checks and asks around and studies and checks and re-checks everything that person says or does?
Who? The person who finds out that they have been conned by someone who has made a practice of deception for years.
Its not the Bible and its not the teachings of Jesus Christ that are the problem....its Christendom's version of things that do not ring true.
Nowhere does the Bible clearly state that Jesus is Almighty God. If there was a clear statement, then we would not still be arguing about this very important issue.
I'll tell you who.

Those who do not at all trust that person. Those who are filled with doubt about that person. Those who are not at all sold out for that person.
Its not that we are not "sold" on Jesus....its that we do not believe what Christendom teaches about him. We do not doubt Jesus or his Father for a second....Jesus never said he was God....Yahweh never said that Jesus was God and nowhere is the holy spirit ever called "God"......so what is that belief based on?....Suggestion, conjecture and assumption....not to mention trusting in the wrong religious teachers. Think back to the first century and you will see exactly the same scenario playing out.
In other words, NOBODY can be in love with a person they work that hard to prove wrong in every single way.
See...that is a false assumption....we know the God we worship and he is ONE, as the scriptures tell us....not THREE. When someone wants to prove that our ONE God is THREE we will defend the truth...and the truth is Jesus never once said he was God or even his equal. Find me one scripture where Jesus admits to being God incarnate or that the holy spirit is God in a threesome.
That will silence the argument immediately....

Reactions: Wrangler

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its not the Bible and its not the teachings of Jesus Christ that are the problem....its Christendom's version of things that do not ring true.
It's not Christendom's version of things that have claimed Jesus to be God. It's the Bible. And many of those verses have been presented for you to summarily deny.
Nowhere does the Bible clearly state that Jesus is Almighty God. If there was a clear statement, then we would not still be arguing about this very important issue.
It very effectively makes it crystal clear that Jesus is God and NO. Even if the Bible contained a verse stating exactly what you demand it needs to say in order for you to grace us with your agreement, you would undoubtedly STILL find some way around accepting it.
... nowhere is the holy spirit ever called "God"......so what is that belief based on?
You just got through claiming with feigned authority that the Bible nowhere claims that God is omnipresent. To which I gladly corrected you with one of the handful of verses to the contrary.

Now it's "Nowhere is the Holy Spirit ever called God!"

Rom 8:9-11 explains that the Holy Spirit is God.
That will silence the argument immediately....
NOTHING will silence your argument.

You are not here to agree with the Bible, or those who believe in it, you are here to disinform, distract, deflect, diminish and discourage.

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The logos, that is, the plan, purpose and wisdom of God, "became flesh" (came into concretion or physical existence) in Jesus Christ. Jesus is the "...image of the invisible God..." (Colossians 1:15) and His chief emissary, representative and agent. Because Jesus perfectly obeyed the Father, he represents everything that God could communicate about Himself in a human person. As such, Jesus could say, if you have seen me, you have seen the Father (John 14:9). The fact that the logos "became" flesh shows it did not exist that way before. There is no pre-existence for Jesus in this verse other than his figurative "existence" as the plan, purpose or wisdom of God for the salvation of man. The same is true with the "word" in writing. It had no literal pre-existence as a "spirit-book" somehow in eternity past, but came into being as God gave the revelation to people and they wrote it down.

The last phrase in the verse, which most versions translate as "and the Word was God" should not be translated that way. The Greek language uses the word "God" (Greek = theos) to refer to the Father as well as to other authorities. These include the Devil (2 Corinthians 4:4) lesser gods (1 Corinthians 8:5) and men with great authority (John 10:34 and 35; Acts 12:22). At the time the New Testament was written, Greek manuscripts were written in all capital letters. The upper and lower case letters were not blended as we do today. Thus, the distinction that we today make "God" and "god" could not be made, and the context became the judge in determining to whom "THEOS" referred.

Although context is the final arbiter, it's almost always the case in the New Testament that when "God" refers to the Father, the definite article appears in the Greek text (this article can be seen only in the Greek text, it's never translated into English). Translators are normally very sensitive to this (see John 10:33). The difference between theos with and without the article occurs in John 1:1. "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the "theos" and the Word was "theos." Since the definite article is missing from the second occurrence of "theos" (God) the usual meaning would be "god" or "divine." The New English Bible gets the sense of this phrase by translating it "What God was, the Word was." James Moffatt, who was a professor of Greek and New Testament Exegesis at Mansfield College in Oxford, England and author of the well-known Moffatt Bible, translated the phrase "the logos was divine."

A very clear explanation of how to translate theos without the definite article can be found in Jesus AS They Knew Him, by William Barclay, a professor at Trinity College in Glasgow:

In a case like this we cannot do anything other than go to the Greek, which is theos en ho logos. Ho is the definite article, the, and it can be seen that there is a definite article with logos, but not with theos. When in Greek two nouns are joined by the verb "to be" and when both have the definite article, then the one is fully intended to be identified with the other; but when one of them is without the article, it becomes more an adjective than a noun, and describes rather the class or sphere to which the other belongs.

An illustration from English will make this clear. If I say "The preacher is the man" I use the definite article before both preacher and man, and I thereby identify the preacher with some quite definite individual man whom I have in mind. But if I say "The preacher is man" I have omitted the definite article before man, and what I mean is that the preacher must be classified as a man, he is in the sphere of manhood, he is a human being.

[In the last clause of John 1:1] John has no article before theos, God. The logos therefore, is not identified as God or with God; the word theos has become an adjectival and describes the sphere to which the logos belongs. We would therefore have to say that this means that the logos belongs to the same sphere as God; without being identified with God, the logos has the same kind of life and being as God. Here the NEB [New English Bible] finds the perfect translation: "What God was, the Word was."

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's not Christendom's version of things that have claimed Jesus to be God. It's the Bible. And many of those verses have been presented for you to summarily deny.
Its not denying anything....the Bible simply doesn't say what Christendom wants to teach. It was exactly the same in Jesus' day.....by the time Jesus walked the earth, Judaism had gone completely apostate....but Jesus was Jewish, so he defended the truth of God's word rather than pander to the self-righteous religious leaders who had made the word of God invalid because they had replaced the scriptures with man-made traditions. (Matthew 15:7-9)
Did you never wonder why Christendom has beliefs that are all mirrored in paganism......multiplicities of gods....immortal souls that end up in heavenly bliss, or raosting in hell for all eternity? Who copied whom? Would God ever copy the devil?

It very effectively makes it crystal clear that Jesus is God and NO. Even if the Bible contained a verse stating exactly what you demand it needs to say in order for you to grace us with your agreement, you would undoubtedly STILL find some way around accepting it.
Any scripture provided to support the trinity is based on conjecture, suggestion, and reading into scripture what Christ never taught outright.
No one needs to make excuses for the truth....only the lies that undermine the truth need exposing. This is what Jesus did.
You just got through claiming with feigned authority that the Bible nowhere claims that God is omnipresent. To which I gladly corrected you with one of the handful of verses to the contrary.
Omniscience makes omnipresence unnecessary. God has no need to be everywhere at once. Jesus gave his Father a location....."Our Father who art in heaven".....God is not everywhere.
Now it's "Nowhere is the Holy Spirit ever called God!"

Rom 8:9-11 explains that the Holy Spirit is God.
Let's break these verses up for clarity.....
"However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him."
How are Christ's elect, whilst still alive on earth, "in the spirit"....rather than "the flesh"....."if indeed the spirit of God dwells in you."
What is "the spirit of Christ"? Does it say that "the spirit of God" IS "the spirit of Christ"? ...because if one does not have this "spirit" he does not belong to Christ as one of his own. (Matthew 7:21-23)
How does the "spirit of God" dwell in a person? How does it "fill" someone, if it is a person?

"10 If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you."

How on earth does this prove that the holy spirit is God?
In what way is the body "dead" because of sin? The spirit that raised Jesus was Holy Spirit, so God used his spirit or power to both create his son as well as to resurrect him.....it is the same holy spirit that created the universe (Genesis 1:1-2)......this power lives in those to whom it is granted. The holy spirit is however, NOT a person....and certainly NOT part of any trinity. Nowhere does the Bible say this.....yet Christendom does not need it to, in order to 'believe' what it teaches. The Pharisees didn't either, presenting their version of the scriptures and leading people away from God, rather than to him. (Matthew 23:13, 15)

NOTHING will silence your argument.

You are not here to agree with the Bible, or those who believe in it, you are here to disinform, distract, deflect, diminish and discourage.
Funny.....after my studies, that is just what I think Christendom has done for centuries. They have misinformed, distracted, diminished and discouraged people by teaching lies about who God is, and what the true relationship is between Father and son....they have no idea what God's holy spirit is either.
I AM here to agree with the Bible....I am not here to agree with Christendom's version of it....that is the difference.

The churches who teach that God is three persons in one, are breaking the first Commandment by putting two other gods in Yahweh's place (Exodus 20:3).....and terrifying people with the prospect of going to a fiery hell if they are found to be remiss at the judgment.

God "destroys" the wicked...he has no need to torture them. (Matthew 10:28; John 3:16)

None of these things are taught in God's word....but you will never hear that said in Christendom.....you'll go to hell for that! :Oh no:

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
by the time Jesus walked the earth, Judaism had gone completely apostate....but Jesus was Jewish, so he defended the truth of God's word rather than pander to the self-righteous religious leaders who had made the word of God invalid because they had replaced the scriptures with man-made traditions. (Matthew 15:7-9)
Jesus defended God's Word because He IS God.
Did you never wonder why Christendom has beliefs that are all mirrored in paganism......multiplicities of gods....immortal souls that end up in heavenly bliss, or raosting in hell for all eternity? Who copied whom? Would God ever copy the devil?
No, but I always wonder why you are even here on this Christian Forum.

Every single position you push is Anti-Christian and diminishes the authority of Scripture.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heidelberg Catechism (1563)

Q15. What kind of mediator and deliverer
should we look for then?

A. One who is a true1 and righteous2 human,
yet more powerful than all creatures, that is, one who is also true God.3

(1)
Romans 1:3 [NKJV] concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord, who was born of the seed of David according to the flesh,
1 Corinthians 15:21 [NKJV] For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead.
Hebrews 2:17 [NKJV] Therefore, in all things He had to be made like His brethren, that He might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.

(2)
Isaiah 53:9 [NKJV] And they made His grave with the wicked--But with the rich at His death, Because He had done no violence, Nor was any deceit in His mouth.
2 Corinthians 5:21 [NKJV] For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.
Hebrews 7:26 [NKJV] For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens;

(3)
Isaiah 7:14 [NKJV] "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel."
Isaiah 9:6 [NKJV] For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Jeremiah 23:6 [NKJV] In His days Judah will be saved, And Israel will dwell safely; Now this is His name by which He will be called: THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
John 1:1 [NKJV] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Q16. Why must the mediator be a true and righteous human?

A. God’s justice demands that human nature, which has sinned, must pay for sin;1
but a sinful human could never pay for others.2

(1)
Romans 5:12 [NKJV] Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned--
Romans 5:15 [NKJV] But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man's offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many.
1 Corinthians 15:21 [NKJV] For since by man [came] death, by Man also [came] the resurrection of the dead.
Hebrews 2:14-16 [NKJV] In as much then as the children have partaken of flesh and blood, He Himself likewise shared in the same, that through death He might destroy him who had the power of death, that is, the devil, and release those who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. For indeed He does not give aid to angels, but He does give aid to the seed of Abraham.

(2)
Hebrews 7:26-27 [NKJV] For such a High Priest was fitting for us, [who is] holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the people's, for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself.
1 Peter 3:18 [NKJV] For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,

Q. Why must the mediator also be true God?

A. So that the mediator, by the power of his divinity, might bear the weight of God’s wrath in his humanity and earn for us and restore to us righteousness and life.1

(1)
Isaiah 53 [NKJV]
Who has believed our report?
And to whom has the arm of the LORD been revealed?
For He shall grow up before Him as a tender plant,
And as a root out of dry ground.
He has no form or comeliness;
And when we see Him,
There is no beauty that we should desire Him.
He is despised and rejected by men,
A Man of sorrows and acquainted with grief.
And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him;
He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.

Surely He has borne our griefs
And carried our sorrows;
Yet we esteemed Him stricken,
Smitten by God, and afflicted.
But He was wounded for our transgressions,
He was bruised for our iniquities;
The chastisement for our peace was upon Him,
And by His stripes we are healed.
All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned, every one, to his own way;
And the LORD has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed and He was afflicted,
Yet He opened not His mouth;
He was led as a lamb to the slaughter,
And as a sheep before its shearers is silent,
So He opened not His mouth.
He was taken from prison and from judgment,
And who will declare His generation?
For He was cut off from the land of the living;
For the transgressions of My people He was stricken.
And they made His grave with the wicked—
But with the rich at His death,
Because He had done no violence,
Nor was any deceit in His mouth.

Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise Him;
He has put Him to grief.
When You make His soul an offering for sin,
He shall see His seed, He shall prolong His days,
And the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in His hand.
He shall see the labor of His soul, and be satisfied.
By His knowledge My righteous Servant shall justify many,
For He shall bear their iniquities.
Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,p
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors.
John 3:16 [NKJV] "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
2 Corinthians 5:21 [NKJV] For He made Him who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

Reactions: GEN2REV
Status
Not open for further replies.