Does not NATURE itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
English Standard Version 1 Corinthians 11:

13 Judge for yourselves:
Paul appealed to human judgment.

Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered? 14 Does not nature itself teach you that if a man wears long hair it is a disgrace for him,
What is the meaning of the word "nature"?

It could not refer to a law of physics.

It could not be God's law either, Numbers 6:

5 “’During the entire period of their Nazirite vow, no razor may be used on their head. They must be holy until the period of their dedication to the LORD is over; they must let their hair grow long.
I interpret "nature" as a human aesthetic that depends on time, space, culture, and even subculture. I used to like long hair as a teenager in the 1970s, but not anymore.

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I interpret "nature" as a human aesthetic that depends on time, space, culture, and even subculture. I used to like long hair as a teenager in the 1970s, but not anymore.
I think there is a mix here between physiology and custom. However, the major issue has to do with the purpose of the genders in light of how their relationship was subverted by Satan. God ruled that the man should exercise "rule" over the woman, in order to use his masculinity to safeguard the woman against angelic deception.

He is to exercise a kind of dominance with respect to decision-making to prevent Satanic interference. Satanic deception is a threat both to the marriage and to the relationship of a couple to God.

The customary relationship, then, between man and woman shows this dominance of the man in the matter of decision-making. Long hair may appear to be symbolic of a helmet, and the man does not show the need for any such covering.

On the other hand, the woman portrays herself as desirable for the man so that he wants to protect her. By nature, women generally look desirable to men. Her long hair can be made to enhance her natural beauty.

The man does not have to appear as desirable for the woman because God has already put it in women to want men. It is a shame if he seeks to look desirable to men as women do.

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Why would a man want to have long hair? It is a nuisance.

Reactions: Lambano