Why don't we enforce the biblical prescriptives on hair length for men and women?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When launching a new topic (thread) a prompt appears asking the question:
"Is this already being discussed?"

When I entered this topic title, an existing topic title appeared that I hadn't seen before,
but seemed to be in line with what I wanted to discuss. The topic was nearly laughed out of existence.
Lasting less than ten posts. Here's a link, if like me, you hadn't seen it before, and are curious.

How a Christian should look!

I can see why the topic didn't survive. It took a very conservative (by today's standards) view of male and female appearances.

If the topic had limited the OP questions/points to hair length as a biblical prescriptive, it may have fared better. IMHO

The scripture below gives some very direct prescriptives about this.
Yet we understand that this is meaningless in our current culture. Right?
The Apostle certainly doesn't use the modern day reasoning that says that Jesus had long hair.
Where did we get that idea? Hollywood, right?

I find it interesting that we ignore the biblical prescriptive on hair length, but protest a gay pride parade over sexual issues.

Questions:
1) If a couple showed up at church, the male with shoulder-length hair and
the woman with a buzz-cut, how would you feel about them?
2) If someone showed up at church with a gay pride slogan on their shirt,
how would you feel about them?

1 Corinthians 11:3-6. 13-15 NIV
But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.
5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.
6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off;
but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head.
[7-12]
13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

/ cc: @John839

Last edited:

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In case you are having questions about my sexual orientation, or views on LGBT,
please read my story in the OP from this topic on the subject, thanks.

WWJD with LGBTQ?

/

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will this discussion include beards?

You shall not round off the hairline of your heads, nor trim the edges of your beard. (Leviticus 19:27)

Since I like kissing my wife, but she really dislikes getting scratched up, I try to keep clean-shaven.

Reactions: St. SteVen

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Questions:
I can put names to these people at my church. The "slogan" is a rainbow ribbon, and the woman with the buzz-cut actually is what the stereotype says she is. The guy with the hair halfway down his back (Hah! You said shoulder length) is actually straight, though.

I've also caught glimpses of their hearts: Their love for God, and their love for their neighbors and brothers and sisters in Christ.

Judge not by appearance, but judge righteous judgement. (John 7:24)

Last edited:
  • Love

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You shall not round off the hairline of your heads, nor trim the edges of your beard. (Leviticus 19:27)

Since I like kissing my wife, but she really dislikes getting scratched up, I try to keep clean-shaven.
Sure, that is in line with the topic.
Is it unbiblical for men to have a clean-shaven face when the biblical prescriptive states otherwise?
That seems laughable by today's social standards. But we seem very fickle about what scriptures we shout
from the rooftops and which ones we ignore. Right?

Don't be such a wimp. - LOL
Her face will toughen up in time. Tell her, if she won't kiss you,
there are plenty of other women in line. - LOL

1704115602322.jpeg

/

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can put names to these people at my church. The "slogan" is a rainbow ribbon, and the woman with the buzz-cut is what the stereotype says she is. The guy with the hair halfway down his back (Hah! you said shoulder length) is actually straight, though.

I've also caught glimpses of their hearts: Their love for God, and their love for their neighbors and brothers and sisters in Christ.

Judge not by appearance, but judge righteous judgement. (John 7:24)
Yes, that's the point.
And I don't necessarily associate hair length with sexual orientation.
Although, I am more likely to think a "shorn" woman might be lesbian, than the man with long hair is gay.
I have to bring myself up short when I go that judgmental route. Almost always wrong. (devil talkin')

/

• Wow

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, that's the point.
And I don't necessarily associate hair length with sexual orientation.
Although, I am more likely to think a "shorn" woman might be lesbian, than the man with long hair is gay.
I have to bring myself up short when I go that judgmental route. Almost always wrong. (devil talkin')

/
@Lambano
And I suppose the bigger point is why do Christians emphasize one biblical prescriptive over another.

Word for the day; prescriptive

/

RedFan

May 15, 2022
New Hampshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor. 11:6 says "if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." Sorry, but one doesn't follow from the other. If this is supposed to be a logical argument, Paul dropped the ball.

1 Cor. 11:15 says "long hair is given to her as a covering." OK, let's assume it. Then it follows logically that she CANNOT have her head uncovered as long as she doesn't cut her hair!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor. 11:6 says "if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head." Sorry, but one doesn't follow from the other. If this is supposed to be a logical argument, Paul dropped the ball.

1 Cor. 11:15 says "long hair is given to her as a covering." OK, let's assume it. Then it follows logically that she CANNOT have her head uncovered as long as she doesn't cut her hair!
Yes, this is hard to follow.
I had to read/study the whole chapter to get the idea, which as you noted, isn't clear from individual verses.
The chapter seems to be about headship and authority in general, and how that plays out in the marriage relationship.
Not sure what praying with head covered has to do with it. Except as a public display when they are gathered for worship.
Even then... seems to fall apart.

/

Always

Oct 23, 2023
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we know you are Christians because you possess the fruits of the Spirit

Paul's writing about the fruit of the Spirit is found in Galatians 5: 22-23. In the New International Version of the Bible, these verses read: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

He states nothing about appearance; however- Scholars suggested that it is likely Jesus had short hair and a beard, in accordance with Jewish practices of the time and the appearance of philosophers and any legalistic conformity of that time in reference to dress, hair, etc. is not valid under the New Covenant that we live by

jessicaleks93

Jan 1, 2024
Yorkshire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When launching a new topic (thread) a prompt appears asking the question:
"Is this already being discussed?"

When I entered this topic title, an existing topic title appeared that I hadn't seen before,
but seemed to be in line with what I wanted to discuss. The topic was nearly laughed out of existence.
Lasting less than ten posts. Here's a link, if like me, you hadn't seen it before, and are curious.

How a Christian should look!

I can see why the topic didn't survive. It took a very conservative (by today's standards) view of male and female appearances.

If the topic had limited the OP questions/points to hair length as a biblical prescriptive, it may have fared better. IMHO

The scripture below gives some very direct prescriptives about this.
Yet we understand that this is meaningless in our current culture. Right?
The Apostle certainly doesn't use the modern day reasoning that says that Jesus had long hair.
Where did we get that idea? Hollywood, right?

I find it interesting that we ignore the biblical prescriptive on hair length, but protest a gay pride parade over sexual issues.

Questions:

1 Corinthians 11:3-12. 13-15 NIV
But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,[a] and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man who prays or prophesies with his head covered dishonors his head.
5 But every woman who prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head—it is the same as having her head shaved.
6 For if a woman does not cover her head, she might as well have her hair cut off;
but if it is a disgrace for a woman to have her hair cut off or her head shaved, then she should cover her head. ... [7-12]
13 Judge for yourselves: Is it proper for a woman to pray to God with her head uncovered?
14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him,
15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

/ cc: @John839
Look up native americans with long hair sent to vietnam in the war, they were sent because they were brilliant at tracking, they got buzz cuts, and lost their ability to track completely over there. Hair is a spiritual antenna to picking up intuition. Covering of hair or cutting is to cut yourself off intuitively and to put on blinkers to only hear "Gods" word and not your own intuition.... or your intuition from the holy spirit / God, that may ago against what church leaders are preaching

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Why don't we enforce the biblical prescriptives on hair length for men and women?​

Do women have beards? .....man, I must be livin' under a mushroom!:IDK:

• Haha

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

I would feel exactly the same as i feel when i see women in the Gym all the time, who are covered in Tattoos and have a Man's haircut/style and a man's physique..

And a male with long hair, is a man with long hair.

Some would say...>"well, behold, dont you think you can judge a person by their dress code, and haircut, and body ink"?

Well, 25 yrs ago, before everyone had Tatts and piercings, and purple or pink or blue hair.... then sure.., as the lines were clearly drawn... back then..

But in these "days", .... its so common to see people who "look like that"... ... '

So for me, i'd be most happy about the fact that they came to Church.
Something is bringing them there that has happened in their head, and hopefully inside their heart.
Time will tell....

The Cross of Christ, says....""come on in , My Eternal Blood Bought Redemption is for ALL of you who have sinned". """You are ALL WELCOME HERE"" Says Jesus The Lord.

Interesting to note that Paul never said to throw out the Men with Long Hair or the "Bossy" women,
But he tells the Leaders of the Local Church to get the HERETICS out of the Local Assembly and keep them out., as THEY are the problem, regarding the Body of Christ.
That's a fact, on Forums as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look up native americans with long hair sent to vietnam in the war, they were sent because they were brilliant at tracking, they got buzz cuts, and lost their ability to track completely over there. Hair is a spiritual antenna to picking up intuition. Covering of hair or cutting is to cut yourself off intuitively and to put on blinkers to only hear "Gods" word and not your own intuition.... or your intuition from the holy spirit / God, that may ago against what church leaders are preaching
I've heard that sheep dogs are blind without hair over their eyes.

1704327848590.jpeg

/

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some woman, with hormone discrepancies, also have beards. Hopefully they decide to keep them shaven.

Actually I've been thinking about growing a beard again, I'm missing a little too much hair on my head these days, so I could use some somewhere on my face maybe.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually I've been thinking about growing a beard again, I'm missing a little too much hair on my head these days, so I could use some somewhere on my face maybe.
Not me, man. Aside from the fact that I like my wife's affections, all I have to do is look at my college yearbook pictures and see that scruffy stuff on my face, and say... nah.

• Haha

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some woman, with hormone discrepancies, also have beards. Hopefully they decide to keep them shaven.

My grandmother had a pretty decent moustache.