Does Petecost Jive with the JW's?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So quick question,

Do JW's believe in the Pentecost? The reason I ask is because 3,000 were saved on the day of Pentecost, both Jew and Gentile. JW's only think a certain amount (114,000 I believe) will inherit the kingdom of God. If 3,000 were saved that day, that means only very few could have been saved over the last 2,000 years. That means, if my math is correct, only 55 and 1/2 people could be saved a year.... How does that work in the JW world?

BA

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
Born_Again said:
So quick question,

Do JW's believe in the Pentecost? The reason I ask is because 3,000 were saved on the day of Pentecost, both Jew and Gentile. JW's only think a certain amount (114,000 I believe) will inherit the kingdom of God. If 3,000 were saved that day, that means only very few could have been saved over the last 2,000 years. That means, if my math is correct, only 55 and 1/2 people could be saved a year.... How does that work in the JW world?

BA
<< 3,000 were saved on the day of Pentecost, both Jew and Gentile.>>

Those were all Jews.

Act 2:5 -6 And there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, from every nation under heaven. And when this sound occurred, the multitude came together, and were confused, because everyone heard them speak in his own language.

Why waste energy on such nonsense as the JW's 144,000?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just baffled by it, that's all. :p I am fascinated by the fact they kinda make things up as they go.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Born_Again said:
So quick question,

BA
Do you mean 144,000?

Why don't you read, 'What is the significance of the number 144,000 to Jehovah's Witnesses?' If you have doubts about these things, Dr Google can sometimes be a great help! :wub:

Reactions: Born_Again

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Born_Again said:
HAHAHA!! See, this is my point. I really don't know all their stuff. :p Thank you for the slap on the back of the head. It was deserved! :p
My intent was not to give you a slap on the back of the head but to tell you the obvious.

Do what I did. I Googled, "What do JWs believe" and came up with their web page that is located at: JW.org. Take a read of some of their articles, follow some of the links in those articles, and you'll read of their heretical views of the nature of God (including rejection of the Trinity) and rejection of Jesus as God. The latter is seen in their New World Translation of the first verse of John's Gospel, 'In the beginning was the Word,+ and the Word was with God,+ and the Word was a god.'

Here is another example of their false views in a brand new article on the website, 'What Happens After Death?' (August 2015)

Oz

gregjgordon

May 30, 2015
Canada
greggordon.home.blog
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes I had a JW at my door and they said they believed in the power from on high experience. The problem is its called restorationism, they believed shortly after the Apostles everyone apostasized until the 1800's when they brought back the truth. You are right that means over 1800 years there had to be less then 120,000 believers, of course there have been MANY more!

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Born_Again said:
So quick question,

BA
Hi BA,

I have studied with JW for a quite sometime and I believe what they are saying is 144,000 is a small flock who are the elect, live in heaven with God and Jesus. The rest is most of Jesus' followers who are not as godly as them yet saved ones will be living on paradise earth.

blessings.

Dave24

Sep 5, 2015
I would love to hear an explanation of the "144000"...i know the JW version of it