Does Satan run the world? Or does God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ's bodily return in AD 70 was to gather and bring all the bodily-resurrected saints back with Him to heaven. Everyone who had died up until then who was a child of God was included in that rapture, from Creation forward until AD 70. Some of them had already been resurrected, and had been waiting on earth for Christ's return (such as the 144,000 First-fruits Matthew 27:52-53 resurrected saints, Lazarus, Dorcas, the widow's son, Enoch, those raised to life by Christ and the disciples, etc.) All of these were considered part of the "Israel of God", which Paul wrote about.

You and I have gone over this point before.
Yes, but education from either side to new viers is valuable.... And every now and again a newer point will be found and should be shared.
The witnesses of Christ's bodily return to the Mount of Olives - the "every eye" of those who pierced Him - were present in the besieged city of Jerusalem in AD 70. Most died in the city after that, or else they were taken prisoner by the Romans and sent into slavery or to Roman arenas to be killed later. Some were sent to the triumph procession in Rome. Prisoners and dead men aren't really known for their ability to create documents recording what they saw. When you insist that you have to have a written record after the fact before you can believe it, this shows a distrust of Christ's words telling us what He was going to do before that first-century generation had passed away.

But there you have it. One has to believe that the first century generation was the one that
was being talked about and not the generation of God's children... or more pecisely

Matt 24:34 " Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled"

Greek (Interlinear) NOTICE the use of the word genea.

34 amēn legō hymin hoti ou parelthē genea hautē heōs an panta
34 ἀμὴν λέγω ὑμῖν ὅτι οὐ μὴ παρέλθῃ ἡ γενεὰ αὕτη ἕως ἂν πάντα

tauta genētai
ταῦτα γένηται .

Peshitta
34 אמין אמר אנא לכון דלא תעבר שרבתא הדא עדמא דהלין כלהין נהוין܂

34 αμην λεγω υμιν ου μη παρελθη η γενεα αυτη εως αν παντα ταυτα γενηται

Strong's

Strong's Greek: 1074. γενεά (genea) -

From: ( Bolding etc are mine) Generation is a wrong translation choice for Greek genea

2. The meaning of genea As I shall discuss the meaning of genea in the following, I am well aware that I go against a tradition, which is especially strong in the English-speaking world. Who is this generation? Briefly stated, the tradition more or less equates the word genea with English ‘generation’. This may work in a few places, especially when the word occurs in the plural form, but in the phrase “this genea” it is misleading to use “generation.” It does not seem to agree with the meaning of the Greek phrase or the Hebrew behind it, and it does not make good sense in most places where the word occurs in the New Testament. Rather, genea means ‘a class of people bound together through a common origin or with a common bond.’ In certain contexts genea does have the very restricted sense of the English “generation,” but in most contexts it does not have this narrow sense. The English word “generation” has undergone a semantic shift so that the meaning today is very much narrowed down as compared to the Greek genea, the Latin generatio and “generation” in the English language as spoken when the King James translation was first made. Even the Vulgate translation used four different Latin words to translate genea, one of which is generatio. But the word generatio is used to translate other Greek words as well, for example, Matt 1:1 genesis (GNB: family record) and Luke 22:18 genēma (fruit). In Danish we have the word “generation” as a modern adopted word. It has the same area of meaning as the corresponding English word, but it is never used to translate genea in the New Testament. In English there is evidence that the area of meaning of “generation” has narrowed down considerably since the time of the KJV translation. The evidence is that the word gennēma ‘brood’ in Matt 3:7 is translated by “generation” in KJV as well as the word genos ‘race, people’ in 1 Pet 2:9. The Oxford Universal Dictionary gives the following, now obsolete (latest attested use 1727) sense of “generation”: “class, kind or set of persons.”

IOW: for me... it is all encompassing those of us who would or should be encompassed.

And as I said before...

Strong's ....

Strong's Greek: 1074. γενεά (genea) -- race, family, generation

Original Word: γενεά, ᾶς, ἡ Part of Speech: Noun, Feminine Transliteration: genea Phonetic Spelling: (ghen-eh-ah') Definition: race, family, generation Usage: a generation; if repeated twice or with another time word, practically indicates infinity of time.

And if repeated with another time word... = infinity of time. = Mathew 24:34

It also presumes that such a record was never made, when archaeology is an ongoing process that may yet discover such documentation.
Which is why I keep looking.
It also presumes that the resurrected bodies being gathered together with Christ in the skies were supposed to be like some slow-motion video which was visible for a great length of time before they all had disappeared from view. If the bodies of the righteous dead were to be changed to the incorruptible state "in the twinkling of an eye", just how long do you think it would take for a resurrected person to be raptured to heaven? After all, even today, a believer who dies has his soul instantly present with the Lord in heaven: "Absent from the body, and present with the Lord". Why not the same rapid transit for the resurrected bodies of the saints back in AD 70?

To deny the clear words of Christ and the scriptures regarding His imminent return in that first-century generation isn't wise.
If those words were clear, I could understand. But to me they are not.
The effect on my life of believing Christ's clear statements of His bodily return in AD 70 on that 1,335th day is an absolute reassurance that what God and Christ promise, they most certainly bring to fulfillment. I can have utter confidence in a God that has kept His word to the letter, and in the time promised.

All those disasters being finished which were imminent for that first-century generation gives me a rest from my former fearful expectation that these were going to be taking place in the future for us. It shows me that I no longer need worry about the present existence of Satan or the demonic realm in this world. Demon possession no longer exists since AD 70, since God promised that He would cause all the unclean spirits to "pass out of the land", and that He would crush Satan under the feet of the Roman believers in their lifetime. We no longer wrestle with the spiritual wickedness in high places, as those in the first century were doing during the Devil's "short time" before his destruction.

Humanity has enough to contend with concerning the wicked nature of fallen mankind, and also whatever evil lurks within our own hearts. The Great Commission task is still ours, but it comes with God's promise that Christ's "stone" kingdom will continue to grow into a great mountain which will fill the whole world. Our part as believers is to share in spreading that progress of Christ's kingdom, until the next third bodily-resurrection event in the distant future.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here are some other verses concerning generation, evil.

Num_32:13 And the LORD’S anger was kindled against Israel, and he made them wander to and fro in the wilderness forty years, until all the generation, that had done evil in the sight of the LORD, was consumed.

Deu_1:35 Surely there shall not one of these men of this evil generation see the good land, which I sware to give unto your fathers,

Mat_12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it but the sign of Jonah the prophet:

Mat_12:45 Then goeth he, and taketh with himself seven other spirits more evil than himself, and they enter in and dwell there: and the last state of that man becometh worse than the first. Even so shall it be also unto this evil generation.

Mat_16:4 An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given unto it, but the sign of Jonah. And he left them, and departed.

Luk_11:29 And when the multitudes were gathering together unto him, he began to say, This generation is an evil generation: it seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it but the sign of Jonah.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Duck Muscles,

2 Corinthians 4:4 New International Version 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

One could see that the god of that age of the Jewish people - was to them "worshipping the Law, and man" over God himself. During the death, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and his ascension. The way things were going with the Nation of Israel who desired for Jesus to be dead, and put him to death, even saying "Let his blood be our hands, and our childrens.' Continued on with the way it had... continue to worship, manmade traditions, worshiping the Law, and practicing religion that continued to even go as far to ban the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for even being continue to spread. Ages come to an end, and Jesus had the victory during that age, which that god which once was having power over those who were blinded - by following the Law, (still covered by a veil), - in their mind in order to be able to see the light of the good news that displays the glory of Christ who is the Image of God.

Are there still people blinded today? Perhaps to some degree, but not on the level of that time period. Not everyone grew up under a family who were priest, and what you learned was those scriptures in those days, and teach and talk about the same things people many do about today.

There is also another scripture which talks about God having blinded.

Romans 11:8 KJV: (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.) (unto this day which Paul is writing those who are in Rome, in his day which would be God blinding those then there.)

Last edited:

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One has to believe that the first century generation was the one that
was being talked about and not the generation of God's children... or more pecisely

Matt 24:34 " Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled"

Greek (Interlinear) NOTICE the use of the word genea.
There is no need to debate the meaning of "genea", when we have Christ speaking clearly about who would see Him returning in the glory of His Father, and with the holy angels, to give rewards according to every man's works. He said in Matthew 16:27-28 that some of those He was directly speaking to during His earthly ministry would not have died before seeing this described return.

You have three choices: #1, either Christ lied, or #2, some of those individuals He was speaking to during His earthly ministry are still alive here on earth some 2,000 years later, waiting for His return, or #3, Christ actually returned bodily before all of those individuals He was speaking to had died in their natural lifetime.

Take your pick.

Last edited:

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes God is ultimiate ruler, but has allowed Satan temproary control of the earth.

2 Corinthians 4:4
In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Luke 4​

King James Version​

4 And Jesus being full of the Holy Ghost returned from Jordan, and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness,
2 Being forty days tempted of the devil. And in those days he did eat nothing: and when they were ended, he afterward hungered.
3 And the devil said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, command this stone that it be made bread.
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
5 And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time.
6 And the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it.
7 If thou therefore wilt worship me, all shall be thine.
You give much truth my brother, Amen..

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
love to all! Be encouraged to research things out for yourself.

Never just believe anything anyone says.

MatthewG said:
Hello Duck Muscles,

2 Corinthians 4:4 New International Version 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

One could see that the god of that age of the Jewish people - was to them "worshipping the Law, and man" over God himself. During the death, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and his ascension. The way things were going with the Nation of Israel who desired for Jesus to be dead, and put him to death, even saying "Let his blood be our hands, and our childrens.' Continued on with the way it had... continue to worship, manmade traditions, worshiping the Law, and practicing religion that continued to even go as far to ban the name of the Lord Jesus Christ for even being continue to spread. Ages come to an end, and Jesus had the victory during that age, which that god which once was having power over those who were blinded - by following the Law, (still covered by a veil), - in their mind in order to be able to see the light of the good news that displays the glory of Christ who is the Image of God.

Are there still people blinded today? Perhaps to some degree, but not on the level of that time period. Not everyone grew up under a family who were priest, and what you learned was those scriptures in those days, and teach and talk about the same things people many do about today.

There is also another scripture which talks about God having blinded.

Romans 11:8 KJV: (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day.) (unto this day which Paul is writing those who are in Rome, in his day which would be God blinding those then there.)

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He said in Matthew 16:27-28 that some of those He was directly speaking to during His earthly ministry would not have died before seeing this described return.
Matthew 16:28 said:
Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Oh, that happened at Easter in about 30 A.D.

Good week to remind us of that.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, that happened at Easter in about 30 A.D.
How did Christ return in the glory of His Father with all the holy angels and give out rewards to everyone according to their works at His crucifixion and resurrection following? (whether AD 30 or AD 33)

At this coming of Christ in glory with all the holy angels, He would sit on the throne of His glory, and gather the resurrected dead unto Himself for judgment, both "sheep" and "goats". At that time, the souls of the wicked would be sent into the same destruction decreed for the Devil and his angels, and the righteous would enter into life eternal (Matt. 25:31-46). This was the first GWT judgment of the dead in AD 70, and we await the next GWT judgment in our future for those who will have died ever since AD 70. The difference in that future GWT judgment is that the destruction of the whole Satanic realm will not be part of it, since that was performed long ago back in AD 70.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did Christ return in the glory of His Father with all the holy angels and give out rewards to everyone according to their works at His crucifixion and resurrection following? (whether AD 30 or AD 33)
The verse in question only says, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” Which they (except for Judas) did; the Kingdom started at the Resurrection. It doesn't say anything about glory, angels, or a Rewards program. That is yet to come. This interpretation makes more sense than a "secret return" (in glory?) in 70 AD that is not recorded ANYWHERE in history.

(Now I've done it. The next time I gently remind someone to "read in context", somebody will bring this post up.)

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Ronald Nolette Was Jesus and his temptation from Satan, just temptations and struggles.

Satan couldn't really give all the kingdoms to Jesus, could he?

Why do people look at Satan as a "god", when he was a fallen angel, how does that make him a "god"?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse in question only says, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.” Which they (except for Judas) did; the Kingdom started at the Resurrection. It doesn't say anything about glory, angels, or a Rewards program. That is yet to come. This interpretation makes more sense than a "secret return" (in glory?) in 70 AD that is not recorded ANYWHERE in history.
Amazing, to have faith and trust in the Lord JEsus Christ, to be able to do what he promised. It makes life a lot more easier, without the worry of the great tribulations and last days of the age, and horrific horrors people would love to see in front of them. Either for suspense or for just to be part of, many people desire to have the great tribulation and just sudden terror comes upon the earth, to be seen ... in the lifetime of whoever seeks for such.
(Now I've done it. The next time I gently remind someone to "read in context", somebody will bring this post up.)

Reactions: 3 Resurrections

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse in question only says, “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”
That is incorrect. The Matthew 16:27-28 verses specifically mention Christ coming in the glory of His Father with the holy angels, when He would give rewards to everyone according to what they had done. Some of those people of Israel which Christ was speaking to at that time would not die before He had returned in that manner. That is the immediate context in which this statement about Christ's returnwas made.

This mention of rewards given is judgment language. It's the same judgment language which Matthew 25:31-46 used, because it was talking about the same occasion of Christ's return in His glory with all the holy angels with Him, when He would pass judgment on the sheep and the goats for what they had done during their lifetime. This judgment was accomplished before some of those whom Christ directly spoke to had died in that generation.
This interpretation makes more sense than a "secret return" (in glory?) in 70 AD that is not recorded ANYWHERE in history.
How could your interpretation make more sense when it goes directly against what Christ said in Matthew 16:27-28? When you also insist that you must have a written record AFTER AD 70 of Christ's return at that time before you will believe Christ's clear statement in Matthew 16:27-28, this is demonstrating little faith in Christ's recorded words for us. It's a "doubting Thomas" mindset.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Matthew 16:27-28 verses specifically mention Christ coming in the glory of His Father with the holy angels, when He would give rewards to everyone according to what they had done.
Nope. Verse 27 talks the Son of Man coming in glory; Verse 28 never mentions glory, angels, or rewards. Verse 28 only promises that some standing there will see the inauguration of Christ's Kingdom. Not the final victory.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I use to be so afraid of God. Lord don’t send me to hell. I’m sorry for what I did.

That was before coming into a grounded and settled hope in faith of the good news and victory of Christ.

No more losing for Jesus! He did it all already, and continues to help many more people who reach out from the drowning world into the spiritual.

3 Resurrections

Jan 20, 2024
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. Verse 27 talks the Son of Man coming in glory; Verse 28 never mentions glory. Verse 28 only promises that some standing there will see the inauguration of Christ's Kingdom.
You are presuming that Christ "coming IN His kingdom" is the same thing as Christ coming "into" His kingdom with an inauguration of that kingdom. It's not the same thing at all.

When Matthew 16:27-28 speaks of Christ "coming IN His kingdom", that means Christ comes while still being IN His kingdom - a kind of kingdom (which you would also agree) that was launched earlier with His resurrection-day ascension to His Father. That kingdom was promised never to end, so when Christ returned in AD 70, He was still IN that kingdom and IN the glory of His Father.

Matthew 25:31-46 gives a further description of what would happen when Christ came in His glory with all the holy angels (as Matt. 16:27 had predicted). The sheep and goats would be gathered together unto Him, and judgment would be passed on both of them according to what they had done in their lifetime. This was the rewards which the dead would be given, as promised earlier in Matthew 16:27-28, and BEFORE all of those Christ was speaking to had died.

You are trying to divide these two verses in Matthew 16:27-28 from each other, and it can't be done. Christ also said in Matthew 10:23 that the twelve disciples would be persecuted for their evangelism efforts in Israel, but that they would not have finished going over the cities of Israel before the Son of Man had come.

This gives you three choices again: #1, either Christ lied, or #2, there are still some of Christ's twelve disciples alive on earth today, still trying to evangelize the cities of Israel, or #3, Christ returned in that first-century generation which persecuted the twelve disciples.

Take your pick.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One point in time I did have my imagination wondering about the end of all things. People on their cellphones passing over the the bridges and going by to pay tolls, and then a catastrophic beast comes out of the sea and starts attacking the people on the land.

It’s amazing when one may decide for themselves to see how much one can gather by just simply reading it all together in one sitting a couple times, and think and look on things mentioned in the Old Testament, and determine for yourself between oneself and God, what you believe concerning the letter namely Revelation and see.

It’s just been a whole lot easier since coming to trust to the Lord Jesus has completed all things that needed to be fulfilled and that would be redeeming the bride as well, makes it much more of a blessing to see Jesus as a Victor, and not a failure who is still needing to come back and restore things. They have been restored back to the prior now, without the administration which was prior being of the Law, which now all have access to Yahavah by and through Yeshua, who has the gates of heaven open to any and all, to receive the Holy Spirit and newness of life through the resurrection of the Lord Yeshua whom Yahavah rose from the dead by His Spirit.
God is near and never far away!

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are presuming that Christ "coming IN His kingdom" is the same thing as Christ coming "into" His kingdom with an inauguration of that kingdom.
Same Greek prepositional phrase, "ἕν τῃ βασιλείᾳ" as in Luke 23:43, usually translated "Jesus, remember me Lord, when You come into Your kingdom". Not buying it.