Does Satan run the world? Or does God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it does.

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Yes it does!
Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20:10
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

You said "Yeshua BECAME the Lord God almighty"! How utterly insane!!!

Jesus is God of the Bible. Your Yahavah god is not even mentioned in the Christian Bible.
Matt is a full preterist.
He's also not spelling the God name correctly.
The proper spelling is, YaHaVah.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good. Hope God gets his glory from all the burning people alive. I don’t believe in a God like that… are you a person who believes in Calvinism or anything like that?
You believe in PHONY Yahavah, not Jesus, God of the Bible.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matt is a full preterist.
He's also not spelling the God name correctly.
The proper spelling is, YaHaVah.
I don’t know what full preterist believes.

To me some scripture remains continuing today. Like Revelation 21,22, “the increase of Gods kingdom will never end.”

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You believe in PHONY Yahavah, not Jesus, God of the Bible.
What are we man, in grade school?

I do believe in Yahavah. I do believe Jesus, who came died, buried, and raised again by Yahavahs Holy Spirit.

You’re not high on drugs right now are you?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

To me some scripture remains continuing today. Like Revelation 21,22, “the increase of Gods kingdom will never end.”
God's Kingdom is a mindset just as faith is. God's Kingdom is present in all who trust in Jesus just as faith is present.
Do God's people suffer less because they have stepped into God's Kingdom? .....they probably suffer more because they resist the urge for revenge.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. I don’t believe the devil has any effect in the world other than his representation of the power of the darkness. The darkness can consume one’s life.

But if your eyes are unhealthy, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
"Okay. I don’t believe the devil has any effect in the world other than his representation of the power of the darkness. The darkness can consume one’s life."

You MUST first state who or what you believe is the devil. Are you talking about Satan? Are you referring to Lucifer?

My beliefs after extensive study over the years is that Satan... THE devil and Lucifer refer to the same personification of evil and while not specifically named in Genesis 1, the serpent who appears in the Garden of Eden to tempt Adam and Eve is associated with the great dragon of Revelation 3. And is commonly believed to be the fallen angel Lucifer, the adversary of God, and the accuser of God’s people. (Any discussion of the "name" Lucifer is for another time and thread)

Are we on the same page? If not, why not?

Repeating, you said " I don’t believe the devil has any effect in the world other than his representation of the power of the darkness"

There is a great explanantion in Satan — What Powers Does Satan Have? from which is stated Satan deceives people about himself. He wants people to be ignorant of his existence because then he can be more effective. Unsuspecting people are more vulnerable.

And that, my dear brother I fear is where you have fallen. Under deception.

The following comes from the above link that you need to look at as there is not enough room here.....

The Bible states that Satan is an angel who is a deceiver. He deceives the world about God and himself. His first act of deception was in the Garden of Eden when he lied about God and successfully deceived Eve about God’s holy character (Genesis 3:1-5; 2 Corinthians 11:3).

What Power Does Satan Have?

Satan deceives people about himself. He wants people to be ignorant of his existence because then he can be more effective. Unsuspecting people are more vulnerable. Satan is not our friend. Satan or Lucifer is a proud, evil creature who seeks his own glory (Isaiah 14:12-15; Ezekiel 28:13-16) and wants people to be ignorant of the schemes he uses against us and to be ignorant of his power.

Therefore, God has warned us in 2 Corinthians 2:11 to not be ignorant of Satan’s schemes.

. . . so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes. 2 Corinthians 2:11 (NASB)
But many Christians and most non-Christians are ignorant of Satan’s schemes or power. He is a powerful creature whose schemes are rooted in deception. Therefore, this article seeks to provide important information about Satan answering the question, what power does Satan have?

It explains.....

Satan’s Power — As Revealed In Exodus 7-8​

And

Satan’s Power — As Revealed In Job 1-2​

Satan’s Power — As Revealed in the Gospels​

In the gospels Satan’s demons are able to make people to become extremely violent (Matthew 8:28) and to possess people and animals (Matthew 8:28-34). They can make people mute (Matthew 9:32-33), blind (Matthew 12:22), to not “be in their right mind” (Mark 5:15), cause bodily harm (Luke 4:35), and convulsions (Luke 9:42).

In short, Satan and his army of evil angels have the ability to cause great bodily illness and harm in different ways.

What Power Does Satan Have?​

It is clear from Exodus 7-8 that Satan has great power. He can appear to cause wood to become snakes, turn water into wine, and bring forth frogs – but only when allowed to do so by God. But he cannot create gnats (Exodus 8:16-19). It is obvious that Satan does not have unlimited power. His powers are limited since he is not God.

Job 1-2 teaches us that Satan can cause nations to attack, kill people, make fire fall from heaven and destroy, control the weather, and make people sick. God allowed Satan to kill Job’s children but Satan was not allowed to kill Job. In the gospels Satan’s demons could possess people and animals and cause a wide variety of illnesses. In 2 Thessalonians 2:9, we are told that God will give Satan great freedom to perform signs and false wonders.

Revelation 13:1-10 describes the antichrist during the future tribulation. Revelation 13:7 states that God will permit him to make war against the saints and defeat them.

It was also given to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them, and authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation was given to him. Revelation 13:7 (NASB)
But notice again that God controls what Satan can do with his power.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can it be everlasting when it is done away with?

”And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.“
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭20‬:‭11‬-‭15‬ ‭KJV‬‬
How can it be done away with when it has not happened yet?

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is obvious your are ... if not full... a partial preterist and you have been deceived.

You talking about 21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea...?

When we are "all" in our eternal places after the end.... there will be not increases.....

Even Jesus... you know Him don't you?... stated in His Olivet discourse Matt 24....... when asked when the end will be

35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.​

And then there can be no possibility of an increase of Gods kingdom will never end, there can only be God's kingdom will never end'

Reactions: BlessedPeace

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can it be done away with when it has not happened yet?

Thank you for stating what I was suspecting as I was following this thread.

It is obvious your are ... if not full... a partial preterist and you have been deceived.

You talking about 21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea...?

When we are "all" in our eternal places after the end.... there will be not increases.....

Even Jesus... you know Him don't you?... stated in His Olivet discourse Matt 24....... when asked when the end will be

35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

36 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.​

And then there can be no possibility of an increase of Gods kingdom will never end, there can only be God's kingdom will never end'

Readers choice. You don’t have to accept that Jesus was coming quickly if you don’t want to.

”This is a revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must happen soon. And Christ sent his angel to show it to his servant John, who has told everything he saw. It is the truth that Jesus Christ told him; it is the message from God. Great blessings belong to the person who reads the words of this message from God and to those who hear this message and do what is written in it. There is not much time left. From John, To the seven churches in the province of Asia: Grace and peace to you from the one who is, who always was, and who is coming; and from the seven spirits before his throne; and from Jesus Christ. Jesus is the faithful witness. He is first among all who will be raised from death. He is the ruler of the kings of the earth. Jesus is the one who loves us and has made us free from our sins with his blood sacrifice. He made us his kingdom and priests who serve God his Father. To Jesus be glory and power forever and ever! Amen. Look, Jesus is coming with the clouds! Everyone will see him, even those who pierced him. All peoples of the earth will cry loudly because of him. Yes, this will happen! Amen. The Lord God says, “I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am the one who is, who always was, and who is coming. I am the All-Powerful.” I am John, your fellow believer. We are together in Jesus, and we share these things: suffering, the kingdom, and patient endurance. I was on the island of Patmos because I was faithful to God’s message and to the truth of Jesus. On the Lord’s Day, the Spirit took control of me. I heard a loud voice behind me that sounded like a trumpet. It said, “Write down in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.” I turned to see who was talking to me. When I turned, I saw seven golden lampstands. I saw someone among the lampstands who looked like the Son of Man. He was dressed in a long robe, with a golden sash tied around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool—wool that is white as snow. His eyes were like flames of fire. His feet were like brass that glows hot in a furnace. His voice was like the noise of flooding water. He held seven stars in his right hand. A sharp two-edged sword came out of his mouth. He looked like the sun shining at its brightest time. When I saw him, I fell down at his feet like a dead man. He put his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the one who lives. I was dead, but look, I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. So write what you see. Write the things that happen now and the things that will happen later. Here is the hidden meaning of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and the seven golden lampstands that you saw: The seven lampstands are the seven churches. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches.“
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭20‬ ‭ERV‬‬

John gives a revelation which is given to Jesus by his Father. Sent to 7 literal church’s that no longer exist. I don’t expect everyone to accept my view.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Satan was told to be done away with…
Satan is not "done away with".

Do you own a bible?

Do you understand that Paul was sent AFTER Jesus was back in Heaven?

If you do understand this..., you'll read that Paul says to "Put on the whole armor of God" to stand against the Devil's plots, temptations, and attacks.

Paul said that on one occasion, He was trying to go to one of His "churches" that he had started and he was prevented by "Satan".

Paul said that a "Messenger of SATAN came to him and was a thorn in his flesh".

Paul says that "Satan blinds the mind" of people...

People like YOU, @MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for the update, @Behold.

It’s reader choice! Believe it or not. Revelation 20:10 says the devil, the beast and the false prophet are done away with forever and ever.

Darkness is still prevalent.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Readers choice. You don’t have to accept that Jesus was coming quickly if you don’t want to.

”This is a revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must happen soon. And Christ sent his angel to show it to his servant John, who has told everything he saw. It is the truth that Jesus Christ told him; it is the message from God. Great blessings belong to the person who reads the words of this message from God and to those who hear this message and do what is written in it. There is not much time left. From John, To the seven churches in the province of Asia: Grace and peace to you from the one who is, who always was, and who is coming; and from the seven spirits before his throne; and from Jesus Christ. Jesus is the faithful witness. He is first among all who will be raised from death. He is the ruler of the kings of the earth. Jesus is the one who loves us and has made us free from our sins with his blood sacrifice. He made us his kingdom and priests who serve God his Father. To Jesus be glory and power forever and ever! Amen. Look, Jesus is coming with the clouds! Everyone will see him, even those who pierced him. All peoples of the earth will cry loudly because of him. Yes, this will happen! Amen. The Lord God says, “I am the Alpha and the Omega. I am the one who is, who always was, and who is coming. I am the All-Powerful.” I am John, your fellow believer. We are together in Jesus, and we share these things: suffering, the kingdom, and patient endurance. I was on the island of Patmos because I was faithful to God’s message and to the truth of Jesus. On the Lord’s Day, the Spirit took control of me. I heard a loud voice behind me that sounded like a trumpet. It said, “Write down in a book what you see, and send it to the seven churches: to Ephesus, Smyrna, Pergamum, Thyatira, Sardis, Philadelphia, and Laodicea.” I turned to see who was talking to me. When I turned, I saw seven golden lampstands. I saw someone among the lampstands who looked like the Son of Man. He was dressed in a long robe, with a golden sash tied around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool—wool that is white as snow. His eyes were like flames of fire. His feet were like brass that glows hot in a furnace. His voice was like the noise of flooding water. He held seven stars in his right hand. A sharp two-edged sword came out of his mouth. He looked like the sun shining at its brightest time. When I saw him, I fell down at his feet like a dead man. He put his right hand on me and said, “Don’t be afraid! I am the First and the Last. I am the one who lives. I was dead, but look, I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades. So write what you see. Write the things that happen now and the things that will happen later. Here is the hidden meaning of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand and the seven golden lampstands that you saw: The seven lampstands are the seven churches. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches.“
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭20‬ ‭ERV‬‬

John gives a revelation which is given to Jesus by his Father. Sent to 7 literal church’s that no longer exist. I don’t expect everyone to accept my view.
Nor you mine...

And more and more research points to John being given the prophesies in Revelation in 95 or 96 AD= fuuture.

Jesus was coming quickly. It is all relevant to what was meant by quickley. If Jesus tarries another thousand years in the scheme of eternity that will truly be as a blink of the eye.

You are obviously hung up on Jesus saying this Generation will not Pass......

Consider this fact...

This quote regarding the end times is found in Matt 24:34...Mark 13:30... and Luke 21:32 Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.”

What are all these things?
The rise of the Antichrist,
The desolation of the Holy Place,
Even the darkening of the sun.

These did not, DID NOT happen during the lifespan of people alive in Jesus’ day.

Obviously, Jesus meant something different when He spoke of “this generation.”

And if you say the second one did with the temple destruction in 70 AD.... THE OTHER TWO DID NOT.

Check out... Generation - Encyclopedia of The Bible - Bible Gateway

Color, font size and bolding changes are mine for emphasis.

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE BIBLE – GENERATION​

GENERATION (דּﯴר֮, H1887, תּﯴלֵדﯴת, H9352, [pl.]; γενέα; γένεσις, G1161; γέννημα, G1165; γένος, G1169, generation, period, race). A group of lineal descendants; a step in lineal descent. The Biblical words correspond closely to the Eng. word “generation.” A further meaning of “race,” or “nation” is possible in some cases.

The Heb. word דּﯴר֮, H1887, is of broader meaning and includes the thought of an era of time, a period and thence a generation. The word has no reference to begetting. The phrase דﯴר־וָדֹ֖ור “an age and an age” means “eternity,” “forever.” The same phrase is used in Ugaritic texts. The word is used (usually in the sing.) of many generations to come, as well as of a specific living generation, such as the one which died in the wilderness (Deut 2:14). The average length of a generation is often assumed to be forty years, for in the wilderness all the men over twenty died within that time. This would give a measure not of the period from a man’s birth to his children’s birth (more like thirty years), but would give the measure of a lifetime sixty years or more. This is apparently the meaning of Genesis 15:13, 16. Four generations equal 400 years if a generation be counted as a long lifespan. There is no statement in the Bible that the forty-year span of the rule of Solomon, of David, and of four of the judges was a round number for one generation. The forty-year figure in the Moabite Stone has also now been shown to be an accurate figure (F. M. Cross and D. N. Freedman, Early Hebrew Orthography, American Oriental Series, vol. 36 [1952], 39, 40).

The word תּﯴלֵדﯴת, H9352, comes from the root meaning “to bear a child” and is used in many OT genealogies. It may well refer also to family history in general (Gen 2:4; 6:9; 25:19; 37:2).

In the NT, the word γενέα is usually tr. “generation” (in the KJV, thirty-six times), but is also tr. “age,” “nation,” and “time.” It is used in the genealogy of Matthew 1. Many times Jesus speaks of the faithless and perverse generation (Matt 17:17, etc.) where the reference could equally be to the Jewish nation (cf. Phil 2:15). In the RSV, such passages are tr. by “generation.”

A problem v. is Matthew 24:34 and parallels. Some argue for the strict meaning and claim that Christ mistakenly expected the end in His own time. Others note that standard lexicons and other studies allow the meaning “race” or “clan” or “nation,” and hold that the v. predicts the continuation of the Jewish people until Christ’s return. Zahn’s Commentary (in loc.) argues that “this generation” of Matthew 24:34 refers to the “this generation” of 23:36, and is in contrast to “that day and hour” of Matthew 24:36. The former expression refers to troubles applicable to the disciples’ own day; the latter refers to eschatological events.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are we man, in grade school?

I do believe in Yahavah. I do believe Jesus, who came died, buried, and raised again by Yahavahs Holy Spirit.

You’re not high on drugs right now are you?
Show us a Christian Bible that says "Yahavah". Can't find even one?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nor you mine...

And more and more research points to John being given the prophesies in Revelation in 95 or 96 AD= fuuture.

Jesus was coming quickly. It is all relevant to what was meant by quickley. If Jesus tarries another thousand years in the scheme of eternity that will truly be as a blink of the eye.

You are obviously hung up on Jesus saying this Generation will not Pass......

Consider this fact...

This quote regarding the end times is found in Matt 24:34...Mark 13:30... and Luke 21:32 Jesus said, “Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place.”

What are all these things?
The rise of the Antichrist,
The desolation of the Holy Place,
Even the darkening of the sun.

These did not, DID NOT happen during the lifespan of people alive in Jesus’ day.

Obviously, Jesus meant something different when He spoke of “this generation.”

And if you say the second one did with the temple destruction in 70 AD.... THE OTHER TWO DID NOT.

Check out... Generation - Encyclopedia of The Bible - Bible Gateway

Color, font size and bolding changes are mine for emphasis.

ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE BIBLE – GENERATION​

GENERATION (דּﯴר֮, H1887, תּﯴלֵדﯴת, H9352, [pl.]; γενέα; γένεσις, G1161; γέννημα, G1165; γένος, G1169, generation, period, race). A group of lineal descendants; a step in lineal descent. The Biblical words correspond closely to the Eng. word “generation.” A further meaning of “race,” or “nation” is possible in some cases.

The Heb. word דּﯴר֮, H1887, is of broader meaning and includes the thought of an era of time, a period and thence a generation. The word has no reference to begetting. The phrase דﯴר־וָדֹ֖ור “an age and an age” means “eternity,” “forever.” The same phrase is used in Ugaritic texts. The word is used (usually in the sing.) of many generations to come, as well as of a specific living generation, such as the one which died in the wilderness (Deut 2:14). The average length of a generation is often assumed to be forty years, for in the wilderness all the men over twenty died within that time. This would give a measure not of the period from a man’s birth to his children’s birth (more like thirty years), but would give the measure of a lifetime sixty years or more. This is apparently the meaning of Genesis 15:13, 16. Four generations equal 400 years if a generation be counted as a long lifespan. There is no statement in the Bible that the forty-year span of the rule of Solomon, of David, and of four of the judges was a round number for one generation. The forty-year figure in the Moabite Stone has also now been shown to be an accurate figure (F. M. Cross and D. N. Freedman, Early Hebrew Orthography, American Oriental Series, vol. 36 [1952], 39, 40).

The word תּﯴלֵדﯴת, H9352, comes from the root meaning “to bear a child” and is used in many OT genealogies. It may well refer also to family history in general (Gen 2:4; 6:9; 25:19; 37:2).

In the NT, the word γενέα is usually tr. “generation” (in the KJV, thirty-six times), but is also tr. “age,” “nation,” and “time.” It is used in the genealogy of Matthew 1. Many times Jesus speaks of the faithless and perverse generation (Matt 17:17, etc.) where the reference could equally be to the Jewish nation (cf. Phil 2:15). In the RSV, such passages are tr. by “generation.”

A problem v. is Matthew 24:34 and parallels. Some argue for the strict meaning and claim that Christ mistakenly expected the end in His own time. Others note that standard lexicons and other studies allow the meaning “race” or “clan” or “nation,” and hold that the v. predicts the continuation of the Jewish people until Christ’s return. Zahn’s Commentary (in loc.) argues that “this generation” of Matthew 24:34 refers to the “this generation” of 23:36, and is in contrast to “that day and hour” of Matthew 24:36. The former expression refers to troubles applicable to the disciples’ own day; the latter refers to eschatological events.

But not yet.
I disagree. Either the promises to come at that time happened, or the whole Bible to me is just a lie. You won’t get very far trying to get me to believe Satan is still around today.

I believe the contents of the Bible and Jesus’s return to the generation which he proclaimed all things much come to pass, and the nations can be seen as the 12 tribes themselves and surrounding nations. Never America, or Austria, or Australia…

As usual most people fight against it due to traditional mentality.

You can get a whole group of 50 people to agree with you and I’ll still disagree.

Reactions: 3 Resurrections