Does the bible tell us to keep up with other peoples sins?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aren't we suppose to become dead to sin?

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Aren't we suppose to become dead to sin?
I think only to the extent that we can pray for them, and that we can help to restore them.

James 5:15-20 KJV
15) And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
16) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
17) Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
18) And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
19) Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
20) Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Galatians 6:1 KJV
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

For me, I endeavor to separate the sin from the person. It's what they did, but it's not who they are. That is, this is a person whom God created to love and be loved, who did something bad. Forgiveness is about letting go.

Much love!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rella, it's a general question as a phrase to denote, people who are continuously keeping up with the sins of others. Which is why I ask, does the bible suggest it to be something one does?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At the rate some people sin, it's almost impossible to keep up.
But I do the best I can. - LOL

/
Is there a reason why you would think that it is a good idea to do something like that? Are there situations you could give as a result of why you hold something against something for example in what they might have done in an action that caused you to have issues? Does the bible talk about us keeping up with people's sins?

There is one scripture I am reminded of about "keep a mark on those who cause divisions" or something however does that mean keeping up with them whether or not they are doing what they need to be doing or not, and is God able to work with them on their issues?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think only to the extent that we can pray for them, and that we can help to restore them.

James 5:15-20 KJV
15) And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.
16) Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
17) Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.
18) And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.
19) Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;
20) Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Galatians 6:1 KJV
Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

For me, I endeavor to separate the sin from the person. It's what they did, but it's not who they are. That is, this is a person whom God created to love and be loved, who did something bad. Forgiveness is about letting go.

Much love!

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with being able to share with people in prayer, or bible study, or bible readings. There doesn't seem to be any reason to keep a track of a person's sins. Now if there are things that lead to problems and cause harm or death to another human beings, those things should be reported. It's good to see that human beings are just like the rest of us even believers, who all have issues and shortcomings.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Comparatively to the preaching of sinless perfection, or those who are highly religious may take a step too far and become a person in the judgement seat of God, rather than looking at themselves in the mirror. They compare themselves to others, saying " I am not as bad them because of ... whatever here. "

They do not realize how wrong this truly is when it comes down to the heart of the matter, pride takes over, and it more of self than it ever of Christ Yeshua.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:
Is there a reason why you would think that it is a good idea to do something like that?
Sorry, my response was a failed attempt at humor.
I answered as if "keep up" meant maintain the same rate.
In other words, to sin as much as they do.

But to answer your question...
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 NIV
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.

/

Reactions: Lambano

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
St. SteVen said:

Sorry, my response was a failed attempt at humor.
I answered as if "keep up" meant maintain the same rate.
In other words, to sin as much as they do.

But to answer your question...
Love keeps no record of wrongs.

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 NIV
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.

/
At times, I wish, there was some place one could go for a short period of time or for the rest of their lives to remove temptations from mind and sight.

I have no desire to keep up. I have no desire to sin at all. But no sooner do I feel I have things under control
then I stumble.

But then the constant thoughts arise that if one stumbles does that mean “For if we are willfully sinning after receiving the full knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice concerning sins.” Hebrews 10:26-27

Is it that we are keeping up with, or simply allowing our mortality to control what we tell ourselves that all go through it?

And can love or will it offset the wilfuness in mankind?

• Love
Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
At times, I wish, there was some place one could go for a short period of time or for the rest of their lives to remove temptations from mind and sight.
I think this was the idea behind the monastic lifestyle.
And we can take time to go on a spiritual retreat when wanted, or needed.
But I think the real test of our faith is in the day-to-day life we return to after the retreat.
Not as hard to be a Christian when you live in a monastery.

I have no desire to keep up. I have no desire to sin at all. But no sooner do I feel I have things under control
then I stumble.

But then the constant thoughts arise that if one stumbles does that mean “For if we are willfully sinning after receiving the full knowledge of the truth, there remains no more sacrifice concerning sins.” Hebrews 10:26-27
That's a troublesome verse. Meant as a sobering reminder.
If it was literally true, heaven would be a very lonely place.
I can't buy that as God;s wonderful plan for humankind created in his image.
No good father would do that to his kids. IMHO

Is it that we are keeping up with, or simply allowing our mortality to control what we tell ourselves that all go through it?

And can love or will it offset the wilfuness in mankind?
I think that if God has a problem with something in our lives, conviction of sin will come.
That to me is the critical point. We ignore that at our peril.

I just had a mental image of dismantling a wall between God and ourselves.
This happens one brick at a time. That's as much as we can lift.

1700315798863.jpeg

/