Does your church still use hymnals?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I happened to be in a Baptist church last Thursday evening. There were hymnals in the pews but they looked like they had never been opened. Maybe it was just a coincidence.

I dislike Power Point but I wouldn’t put up a fuss about it.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For whatever reason Churches seem to be getting away from using hymnals and relying upon AV for music.

All good until the power goes out or the main board has a meltdown.

The choir director/music leader also has his own screen at the back that they use....I had one such person who had his eyes always glued to his screen...as his head turned his eyes never left the screen and you would have thought that his eyes were gonna fly out his head when he turned.

But a church I used to attend is listed in the Baptist hymnal under Judson....as in Judson Baptist Church. They wrote one of the songs within it.

Hymnal music was developed because Congregations used to sing Psalms...which were not very music minded when translated into English. In Hebrew they are great. English? Not so much. So a particular gentleman began rewriting the psalms into songs we could sing and set them to music. People loved them. The list was added to with varying themes over the years until we have what we have today.

However, music directors like to stick with contemporary music.

Reactions: Matthias

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not a fan of contemporary church music.
I'm not either. I absolutely love the old hymns....very meaningful words and people can learn from them.

I own two very old hymnals. Found one at a thrift store. The other a church was getting new hymnals and you could donate and receive an old hymnal.

A third hymnal was even older...I gave that to a young man who studied for the ministry.

• Love

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The church I pastored before retiring sometimes sings my favorite hymn (Be Still My Soul) by introducing it with a phrase I used when requesting it -> “432, that’s the one.”

* Page 432 in the hymnal *

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The church I pastored before retiring sometimes sings my favorite hymn (Be Still My Soul) by introducing it with a phrase I used when requesting it -> “432, that’s the one.”

I love that hymn, too. Also, it's a favorite of my 94 year old mother.

She doesn't hear well now. But amazingly, I played some of The Living Stones (Indian Gospel group) for her and she could hear them. They harmonize beautifully.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Can I ask what type of church you pastored? Just curious. If you would rather not say, that's ok.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Can I ask what type of church you pastored? Just curious. If you would rather not say, that's ok.

Abrahamic Faith. Loosely affiliated with the Church of God General Conference, which is headquartered in McDonough, Georgia.

Reactions: Debp