Does Your Church Use Catechism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry I jumped the gun there. I hear the same old misinformed stuff from some folks that I... honestly I get really sick because of it and can be a bit triggered.
i would really ;like to read your post on mormons start with the basics

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is your church uses things OTHER than Scripture.
Again: Actually member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints very much care about God and scripture. What is the reason for who I am (a disciple of Christ), the where I am, the what I do, etc.

Scripture is not meant to be by itself. To echo Helen's great words earlier: scripture without God is dead and no better than a door stop.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we aren't discussing Mormonism...we are discussion and individual who has chosen to believe in Jesus Christ , life, death, resurrection...
This is an open forum...she has every right to post here, just as you do..even though many of us don't see 'eye to eye' with you!!!
But she should claim to only follow God and Scripture if she doesn't only follow God and Scripture. You can't be LDS and make that claim.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s ok. I totally acknowledge that other folks don’t agree with some of my beliefs, just like I disagree with some of thier beliefs. It’s something we can acknowledge and still be respectful of each other.

Haha! now ain't that the truth... many of us on this forum disagree with each other on some things ...but some feel a great need to 'straighten out ' some other person or persons , when half the time others don't even agree with all they believe!! :D

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again: Actually member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints very much care about God and scripture. What is the reason for who I am (a disciple of Christ), the where I am, the what I do, etc.

Scripture is not meant to be by itself. To echo Helen's great words earlier: scripture without God is dead and no better than a door stop.
I'm referring to the extra-biblical works, like the Book of Mormon, that your church elevates to the point of Scripture. Or the words of your false prophets, like Joseph Smith, that you elevate to the level of Scripture.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But she should claim to only follow God and Scripture if she doesn't only follow God and Scripture. You can't be LDS and make that claim.

Well David that isn't your concern, that is God's. You can't 'be God' in other peoples lives ... many times it is of far more value to- "Pray and don't say"
But people just don't enjoy Prayer as much as they enjoy telling someone else just what they feel.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mormonism is a totally different religion, it is not just a denomination.
In your opinion.

Sorry, but I don't follow you David. You're not my Savior. I'm not going to follow your or confirm to your mold. Which isn't anything particular about you-- I strive to follow my Savior Jesus Christ, walking in His ways and being molded by Him.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
i would really ;like to read your post on mormons start with the basics

You can...she once posted a thread on what she believes...hunt it down. :)

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well David that isn't your concern, that is God's. You can't 'be God' in other peoples lives ... many times it is of far mote value to- "Pray and don't say"
But people just don't enjoy Prayer as much as they enjoy telling someone else just what they feel.
The Bible says to rebuke false teaching Helen.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But she should claim to only follow God and Scripture if she doesn't only follow God and Scripture. .

Neither do you!! You have your pet subject that you have built doctrines upon ( or at least your church has ) ...David you do not see into peoples hearts. Only God sees our hearts and our desires toward Him.

Reactions: amadeus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For simplicity, here's an older thread where I did just that: What I actually believe -- sharing love of Christ

Feel free to ask any questions on anything.

Glad you gave him the link, I couldn't remember what you had called it.

Why this thread which is titled re 'using a catechism' , has now changed to running you in circles about what you believe, I have no idea. :D

I would just ignore it, and sidestep. Or just post " Off Topic". LOL

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My point is your church uses things OTHER than Scripture.
What say ye of the several "Liturgical" denominations that use their official books of prayer? And many of us who sing hymns you know aren't Scriptural in their wording?

The following are among the many books to which the term may loosely refer in various churches or religions, although in strict usage a prayer book is likely to mean a miscellaneous book of prayers as opposed to the standard service books as listed in the second group below:

Actual prayer books:
Saint Augustine's Prayer Book, in the Episcopal Church of the United States
Service & liturgical books:
Book of Common Prayer (BCP), first published in 1549 for the Church of England and has considerable literary influence in the English language

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Bible says to rebuke false teaching Helen.

Oh my golly...then I should be rebuking you much more...
I believe Calvinism is wrong.
And you always post as if you have all truth and correctness in you pocket.
Believing that we know it all come across as arrogance , and arrogance is not something God likes.
But David, you do not have 'all truth' ..even Paul said we do NOT see clearly...yet. -
" for we see in-Part, ...as through a glass, darkly ...but when He who is perfect has come..then we will ..."

I don't wish to argue with you. I hate arguing.

reformed1689

Oct 15, 2019
Somewhere in the USA
reformedtruths.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my golly...then I should be rebuking you much more...
I believe Calvinism is wrong.
And you always post as if you have all truth and correctness in you pocket.
Believing that we know it all come across as arrogance , and arrogance is not something God likes.
But David, you do not have 'all truth' ..even Paul said we do NOT see clearly...yet. -
" for we see in-Part, ...as through a glass, darkly ...but when He who is perfect has come..then we will ..."

I don't wish to argue with you. I hate arguing.
Yet you argue every time you see something of mine you don't like... hmm..

And you can believe Calvinism is wrong but you have no Scriptural basis for such a belief.