Does Your Church Use Catechism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am grateful,
God does not practice righteous indignation
He allows us to work out our salvation with
Awe and reverence,
Ineptitude and cowardice
Joyfulness and naïveté

Can’t we extend the same grace towards each other?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We can ask the same thing of this for any other faith group.
Well what do you have to say about this from 1 Nephi 13:4-6 in the Book of Mormon? And what did Joseph Smith have to say about it?

4 And it came to pass that I saw among the nations of the Gentiles the formation of a great church. 5 And the angel said unto me: Behold the formation of a church which is most abominable above all other churches, which slayeth the saints of God, yea, and tortureth them and bindeth them down, and yoketh them with a yoke of iron, and bringeth them down into captivity. 6 And it came to pass that I beheld this great and abominable church; and I saw the devil that he was the founder of it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you read the Book of Mormon, Enoch?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course. The sad fact is that it is full of erroneous teachings. And I wonder how many Catholics have first studied their Bibles and then compared that to what is in the CCC.

Well what do you have to say about this from 1 Nephi 13:4-6 in the Book of Mormon? And what did Joseph Smith have to say about it?

4 And it came to pass that I saw among the nations of the Gentiles the formation of a great church. 5 And the angel said unto me: Behold the formation of a church which is most abominable above all other churches, which slayeth the saints of God, yea, and tortureth them and bindeth them down, and yoketh them with a yoke of iron, and bringeth them down into captivity. 6 And it came to pass that I beheld this great and abominable church; and I saw the devil that he was the founder of it.
Enoch, you're actually exemplifying my point here.

You (and MANY other people) were told in somebody's primer what LDS Christians believe, taking that source as the truth, without seeing the full picture or getting things straight from the source (like this false idea that my relationship with Christ is about following Joseph Smith). And it is SUPER hard to move beyond such a primer, even when there's facts to the contrary. You get on Catholics for having their primer Catechism, but then fall pray to the same primer traps yourself. We all do-- myself included. Because we are sinners. And that just being told in some primer is the easy lazy path.

It MUCH harder to get the facts straight from sources: looking for Truth from God and scripture yourself, or asking for "what does a person believe" to the person themself. It is MUCH harder. But it is important. We need to own our quest for discipleship of God, and also own our quest to understand other things as well.

Reactions: amadeus and aspen

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reformed basically have the Westminster or Belgic while the Lutherans have the Small and Large Catechism both claiming theirs are Scriptural. (We won't mention Rome's, as they have a different basis of authority).
Which does my Church use? How about Acts 17:11?

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. (Act 17:11)

In any case, no creed (even the Scriptures), will bring unity amongst a local body if the Scriptures are not read and believed by born again members.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus! Just yesterday, an old friend came to see me at work. She is one held captive by the enemy. Before I knew it I was preaching to her in The Spirit. When this happens my countenence changes to all joy. The joy of The Lord. The Words are perfect and flow like a river. It was apparent that her heart was being touched. This is not of my doing, but His. From there she left to attend a service. Now there is no doubt that The Lord knew she was coming (sent)to me. I did not know. What if all of the words that were spoken through me were recorded by someone standing close by, and after that, another took those words and wrote them down, word for word. If The Lord, on that particular day, had said to me in the morning, before work," I want you to write something down on paper and take it with you to work", I would do so. And if perchance The Words that He had me write down was the same words as spoken through me yesterday but instead of speaking them, when I saw her, I handed her the paper, would these words be " dead letter words" or would they touch her(the lost) heart? This is something to be considered when people open their Bibles, the lost as well as the living.
This just did not happen. This mystical nonsense does not help anyone.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They even accept me talking about "hands-on" instantaneous Healing, being "slain in the Spirit", and Speaking in Tongues.... none of which they believe happens.
You're no longer associated with the Vineyards?

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we aren't discussing Mormonism...we are discussion and individual who has chosen to believe in Jesus Christ , life, death, resurrection...
This is an open forum...she has every right to post here, just as you do..even though many of us don't see 'eye to eye' with you!!!
It is not the same Jesus. They believe jesus is lucifers half brother..

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Come on David, that is rude and that is an attack. "thumbs down" :(

Whatever 'box' we each are is of no consequence...IF we have had an 'encounter' with Father , seen our need of Him and thanked Him for the mighty powerful gift of Jesus Christ His Son and been washed in the blood .

The 'handle' that anyone chooses to use is void.
That is why I am with @Willie T I pray for The Church and the 'churches' but for the most part God has written 'Ichabod' over them...the glory has departed.

We are all blood - washed children or we are not. Regardless of some chosen denomination ( by some)
Your low view of scripture opens the door to all manner of error.

Anthony D'Arienzo

Jan 3, 2019
georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise the Lord bro..great testimony. :)

It would not be dead letter word as it was by the prompting of the Holy Spirit that day...as you were led , by the Spirit.

Im not going to argue...I don't enjoy arguing as some seem to on here!!
But , I believe the bible is the letter of the word, and uninspired it is dead letter word..and could be used as a door stop. Yet when GOD breaths upon it in our daily reading , though we have read it a thousands times over the years..His breath bring life into it. It lives!
2 Cor 3
"Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. "

You were doing anything 'of yourself' you were guided....and The Spirit gave it life. We are just the willing vessels...

This tragic view of scripture leads to all manner of error. Mocking scripture is the way of death.
heb4:
2 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we aren't discussing Mormonism...we are discussion and individual who has chosen to believe in Jesus Christ , life, death, resurrection...
This is an open forum...she has every right to post here, just as you do..even though many of us don't see 'eye to eye' with you!!!
This is where catechisms can come in handy. You said 'an individual who has chosen to believe in Jesus Christ'. The problem is which 'Jesus'?
The Jesus of Mormonism who is a spirit brother of Lucifer or the Jesus of Scripture i.e. the eternal Son of God.
'Who is Jesus' is the most important question of Scripture and should be of any catechism.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It doesn't take long for any of us to find fault with ANY other religion or denomination other than the one WE happen to think is OK.
Well Christ did say,

Mar 9:38 And John answered him, saying, Master, we saw one casting out devils in thy name, and he followeth not us: and we forbad him, because he followeth not us.
Mar 9:39 But Jesus said, Forbid him not: for there is no man which shall do a miracle in my name, that can lightly speak evil of me.
Mar 9:40 For he that is not against us is on our part.

but than He also said

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
there is no "right" religion, there is only one Jesus Christ..

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where catechisms can come in handy. You said 'an individual who has chosen to believe in Jesus Christ'. The problem is which 'Jesus'?
The Jesus of Mormonism who is a spirit brother of Lucifer or the Jesus of Scripture i.e. the eternal Son of God.
'Who is Jesus' is the most important question of Scripture and should be of any catechism.
It is not the same Jesus. They believe jesus is lucifers half brother..
A person's salvation is not dependent on their ablity to pass a theology test.

Also, your assertion is based on bad information. If you want o talk about it and get the facts straightened out, feel free to jump over to my other thread. Rather than derailing this one again.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cute bumper sticker material.
A person's salvation is dependent on putting our trust in the right God.
You're welcome to think whatever you want.
Doesn't mater at all to me. nor does a person's misunderstandings affect my relationship with Christ.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
```````````````````````````
Which 'Christ'? That was my original point...
The truth about Mormonism - NAMB
let me sum up your post and how this conversation goes:
NAMB, the present anti-cultist says: “you’re damend for worshipping a flying purple spegetti monster. Stop that and instead follow me!l”
Jane: “I don’t worship a flying spegetti monster, in fact none of what you’ve said is accurate “
Anti-cultist: “ I don’t care you don’t know the truth- only I can tell you what you truly believe! Follow me!”
Jane: “... “

After a few decades of this re-run, it’s beyond old.

Reactions: amadeus
B

brakelite

If truth has any relevance at all regarding faith and practice, then we should be questioning others regarding the foundations upon which they are trusting. Otherwise, when the storm comes and your neighbours house is built on sand, is swept away, and you didn't warn him, God will require of you his blood.

I am grateful,
God does not practice righteous indignation
He allows us to work out our salvation with
Awe and reverence,
Ineptitude and cowardice
Joyfulness and naïveté

Can’t we extend the same grace towards each other?
Do we leave others in their ignorance in order to be nice? Or do we with love and patience reveal their error?

Enoch, you're actually exemplifying my point here.

You (and MANY other people) were told in somebody's primer what LDS Christians believe, taking that source as the truth, without seeing the full picture or getting things straight from the source (like this false idea that my relationship with Christ is about following Joseph Smith). And it is SUPER hard to move beyond such a primer, even when there's facts to the contrary. You get on Catholics for having their primer Catechism, but then fall pray to the same primer traps yourself. We all do-- myself included. Because we are sinners. And that just being told in some primer is the easy lazy path.

It MUCH harder to get the facts straight from sources: looking for Truth from God and scripture yourself, or asking for "what does a person believe" to the person themself. It is MUCH harder. But it is important. We need to own our quest for discipleship of God, and also own our quest to understand other things as well.
Enoch was asking you... Not telling you what you believe... But asking. And I thought it was a good question as it is a very interesting passage he quoted. Would love to know what or who it referred to.

A person's salvation is not dependent on their ablity to pass a theology test.
Trusting in the correct Jesus is not a theology test.

B

brakelite

```````````````````````````

let me sum up your post and how this conversation goes:
NAMB, the present anti-cultist says: “you’re damend for worshipping a flying purple spegetti monster. Stop that and instead follow me!l”
Jane: “I don’t worship a flying spegetti monster, in fact none of what you’ve said is accurate “
Anti-cultist: “ I don’t care you don’t know the truth- only I can tell you what you truly believe! Follow me!”
Jane: “... “

After a few decades of this re-run, it’s beyond old.
Sorry, but that is a sorry misrepresentation of what is taking place. We are not talking about the difference between trusting in a make believe Hollywood version of Jesus who is easily discerned as fake, and the biblical Jesus Who is the only Way Truth And Life. Jesus said there would in the last days be many false Christs. Even the Antichrist Himself would be a counterfeit. You do not get $99 counterfeits. Your spaghetti Monster is a$99 note. Your Jesus is a $100 counterfeit... Maybe. And based on the left field beliefs your church holds so dearly, I think anyone had every right to challenge those foundations... You are the one who has built your house on them... You are the one who needs to be able to answer those challenges for your own good.