Dream And Vision Interpretation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mind kind of lumps it in with prophecy. The 9 gifts of the Spirit, to me are used to draw others near to Christ, prophecy otoh, is used to warn....that is just my own opinion! :)

Well, sometimes prophecy is used to speak the promises of God over someone's life, such as about their calling, so there's that too. But it's quite often used to warn, including in the New Testament age (which some actually argue against for some strange reason).

Reactions: Helen

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loved your post. Stranger had an argument I never would have thought of before (that it's not a gift of the Spirit). Not sure where that came from but we never did come to terms on it. Anyway, your above quoted passage is a tough one for Cessationists to deal with because in v.31 it clearly suggests the ultimate fulfillment of the passage will be during the last days before Christ's return.

And yes, exactly. Why will He give the end-time church visions and dreams without there being interpreters? I tend to go round and round with some who say everyone should be able to interpret their own dreams. I would that they did, and I encourage those I minister to to try, and to work with me on interpretations. But the sad truth is that many are nowhere near accurate when they attempt it. As a result I think it is a gift. Whether everyone is meant to or not, it is very clear to me that not everyone can.

Strange you wouldn't have thought of that before since interpretation of dreams is not a gift of the Holy Spirit. It comes from being absent in the naming of the gifts of the Spirit.

Because it is not a gift of the Holy Spirit, then you are self appointed to that position. You are no different than any other believer in that all have the Holy Spirit. And the Holy Spirit can give dreams to believers as He wants to. And if He does, then they will know. And if they don't know, then it was just a dream.

You want it to be a gift, but it is not. Thus you are treading on dangerous ground. Setting yourself up as something God has not. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are enough and sufficient to provide for the Body of Christ. You need to get away from this dream interpretation, find your gift in the Body and learn to exercise it.

Stranger

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Strange you wouldn't have thought of that before since interpretation of dreams is not a gift of the Holy Spirit. It comes from being absent in the naming of the gifts of the Spirit.

Because it is not a gift of the Holy Spirit, then you are self appointed to that position. You are no different than any other believer in that all have the Holy Spirit. And the Holy Spirit can give dreams to believers as He wants to. And if He does, then they will know. And if they don't know, then it was just a dream.

You want it to be a gift, but it is not. Thus you are treading on dangerous ground. Setting yourself up as something God has not. The gifts of the Holy Spirit are enough and sufficient to provide for the Body of Christ. You need to get away from this dream interpretation, find your gift in the Body and learn to exercise it.

Stranger

Gen 40:8 They answered, “Each of us had a dream, and there is no one here to explain what the dreams mean.”
“It is God who gives the ability to interpret dreams,” Joseph said. “Tell me your dreams.”

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Stranger

I can't totally agree...we cannot put The Holy Spirit in a neat little box.

1 Cor 12
5 " And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; "

In my book it has always come under the heading of word of wisdom and word of knowledge. The Holy Spirit either gives the wisdom or the knowledge or He doesn't. That is why sometimes it is "instant" and sometimes they need to wait on the Lord as did Joseph and Daniel and once they got it , they totally knew what God was saying.
Which ever way we cut it, it is an operation of the Holy Spirit.
If you don't wish to call it one of the 'gifts' ...it is no biggy.
What do names matter.

Some people call themselves Pastor ..yet they do not have a shepherd's heart at all! I remember one time in a meeting someone shook hands with me and said " Nice to meet you..I am Prophet Peter.."
If I wore false teeth I am sure I would have swallowed them!!

A person cannot lead, unless the person has people behind them following.
I am convinced when Paul said "...let him speak and let the others judge."
It is the people who confirm the ministry in another...if they are going to have a place to minister to!

just my thoughts...

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 40:8 They answered, “Each of us had a dream, and there is no one here to explain what the dreams mean.”
“It is God who gives the ability to interpret dreams,” Joseph said. “Tell me your dreams.”

Wow... I'd never noticed this verse before. Sort of throws water in the face of the notion that all believers can automatically know their dreams, doesn't it... God only gave it to whomsoever He chose, despite their all being His children.

Reminds me why we all have to stay humble. I've made a renewed commitment to not insisting on being "right" all the time recently, despite fully believing what this verse insinuates.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do names matter.

I thought of taking this position, because regardless of how many times I get accused of pride it really doesn't concern me. I wouldn't care what anybody called it. But I can't back away from logic or scripture either, and I cannot find a way to reconcile Numbers 12:6 and Jeremiah 23:28 with the notion that receiving dreams and then interpreting them is not part of the prophetic office and function. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I honestly think that's the gist of it, John. Let me ask you, cuz maybe you remember: Did you post one of your dreams in this thread early on, or no?
No, I don't believe so. I posted something in favor of what you were doing. Over the years I have had several dreams from God, but the last one occurred before I was on this forum and I would have trouble recalling of the details. It probably is saved on my computer but I have thousands of entries saved and it would not be easy to find as my organization has not always been the best. Periodically I spend a few hours going through things and organizing and refoldering, but there is just too much and I do have other things to do.

If that is all, that's good. Sometime I will write you in a personal message the details of what is going on in my assembly and you may judge if the dream relates. I decided to be more careful about putting it all of the open forum.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
His dream is like a perfect rendition of the following with a twist on "opening" eyes,

Isaiah 42:7 "To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I thought of taking this position, because regardless of how many times I get accused of pride it really doesn't concern me. I wouldn't care what anybody called it. But I can't back away from logic or scripture either, and I cannot find a way to reconcile Numbers 12:6 and Jeremiah 23:28 with the notion that receiving dreams and then interpreting them is not part of the prophetic office and function. Makes no sense to me.

Totally.

But I am a believer in the gifts 'overlapping' I still hate legal boxes.

Reactions: amadeus

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't believe so. I posted something in favor of what you were doing.

See, this confirms it then (at least to me). You were the last in line because you were the last to post a dream and receive interpretation. Not that this one is earth-shattering, but it was essentially God confirming the ministry of dream interpretation here as being His own work. I'm wondering how @Triumph1300 would take knowing the Spirit represented him in a dream as Matt Dillon, LoL. It'd probably go to his head with that hat he's wearing. :)
Sometime I will write you in a personal message the details of what is going on in my assembly and you may judge if the dream relates. I decided to be more careful about putting it all of the open forum.

Certainly. I'd be glad to hear it, even if it was just to get to know one another a little better. Any time.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
His dream is like a perfect rendition of the following with a twist on "opening" eyes,

Isaiah 42:7 "To open the blind eyes, to bring out the prisoners from the prison, and them that sit in darkness out of the prison house."

Good Heavens! LForrest, you are on fire tonight. :eek:

So good to have a moderator who hears from the Spirit of God, my brother. Kind of amazes me, frankly.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@amadeus

John with the things going on back there at the group I am sure much of it has to do with 'where you are with that'.

But, your eyes did not get put out...you still have your vision.
If Hidden In Him had the details of that situation it may mean something him.
I cant believe that God would not speak to you on that issue.

Not that God still can't give him info without being 'in the picture'. :)

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dreams, visions, and prophecies were given to a select few prior to the coming of the Holy Spirit. But with the coming of the Spirit, it was upon all believers. (Joel 2:28-29) (Acts 2:16-18) Thus resulting in the gifts of the Spirit.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't totally agree...we cannot put The Holy Spirit in a neat little box.

1 Cor 12
5 " And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; "

In my book it has always come under the heading of word of wisdom and word of knowledge. The Holy Spirit either gives the wisdom or the knowledge or He doesn't. That is why sometimes it is "instant" and sometimes they need to wait on the Lord as did Joseph and Daniel and once they got it , they totally knew what God was saying.
Which ever way we cut it, it is an operation of the Holy Spirit.
What do names matter.

Some people call themselves Pastor ..yet they do not have a shepherd's heart at all! I remember one time in a meeting someone shook hands with me and said " Nice to meet you..I am Prophet Peter.."
If I wore false teeth I am sure I would have swallowed them!!

A person cannot lead, unless the person has people behind them following.
I am convinced when Paul said "...let him speak and let the others judge."
It is the people who confirm the ministry in another...if they are going to have a place to minister to!

just my thoughts...

I have no problem with all of the gifts of the Holy Ghost operating in the Body of Christ. And many times the Spirit of God will minister to one through another's gift though the one having the gift doesn't know it. The Holy Spirit knows what the believer needs and provides it.

And these gifts are sufficient to provide all that is needed, all that the Holy Ghost wants to provide in the growth and keeping of the believer. And such gifts are recognized by the local body of believers. How?... through time and growth. In ones walk with the Lord, these gifts surface in the believers life. And in his participation in that church, the people and leaders of the Church set their seal on him as having that gift.

If one enters your church saying I have the gift of being a pastor and anyone who needs to talk about any problems they are having, come see me. Does the church open their arms up to this one? Not hardly. Time must be given to see if the Spirit of God is indeed working in this individual.

If one says I have the gift of dream interpretation, which is not a listed spiritual gift, you have much subjectivity involved. How do we know the dream is from God? Most are just dreams. How do we know this one has the gift of dream interpretation? How do we know his interpretation is correct? One can say anything.

I will tell you how you can know. (Dan. 2:1-9) "...tell thy servants the dream, and we will shew the interpretation. The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, The thing is gone from me: if ye will not make known unto me the dream, with the interpretation thereof, ye shall be cut in pieces...."

The believer to whom God has given a dream knows it is from God. And he will know why God gave it as it pertains to his life. He does not need another to interpret it for him.

Stranger

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will tell you how you can know. (Dan. 2:1-9) "...tell thy servants the dream, and we will shew the interpretation. The king answered and said to the Chaldeans, The thing is gone from me: if ye will not make known unto me the dream, with the interpretation thereof, ye shall be cut in pieces...."

Stranger, you are making the argument here that an interpreter of dreams must also have a very powerful gift of word of knowledge or he is not a true interpreter of dreams. This is an unnecessary requirement you are placing upon interpreters, which would arbitrarily disqualify them from doing so. When Joseph interpreted for Pharaoh, Pharaoh TOLD Joseph the dream first. Joseph did not have to miraculously discern the dream without being told. Same goes for the servants who commended Joseph to Pharaoh to begin with:

"9 Then the chief cupbearer said to Pharaoh, “I remember my offenses today. 10 When Pharaoh was angry with his servants and put me and the chief baker in custody in the house of the captain of the guard, 11 we dreamed on the same night, he and I, each having a dream with its own interpretation. 12 A young Hebrew was there with us, a servant of the captain of the guard. When we told him, he interpreted our dreams to us, giving an interpretation to each man according to his dream. 13 And as he interpreted to us, so it came about. I was restored to my office, and the baker was hanged.”

14 Then Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they quickly brought him out of the pit. And when he had shaved himself and changed his clothes, he came in before Pharaoh. 15 And Pharaoh said to Joseph, “I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.” 16 Joseph answered Pharaoh, “It is not in me; God will give Pharaoh a favorable answer.”[a] 17 Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, “Behold, in my dream I was standing on the banks of the Nile. 18 Seven cows, plump and attractive, came up out of the Nile and fed in the reed grass. 19 Seven other cows came up after them, poor and very ugly and thin, such as I had never seen in all the land of Egypt. 20 And the thin, ugly cows ate up the first seven plump cows, 21 but when they had eaten them no one would have known that they had eaten them, for they were still as ugly as at the beginning. Then I awoke. 22 I also saw in my dream seven ears growing on one stalk, full and good. 23 Seven ears, withered, thin, and blighted by the east wind, sprouted after them, 24 and the thin ears swallowed up the seven good ears. And I told it to the magicians, but there was no one who could explain it to me.” (Genesis 41:9-25)

By your criterion, Joseph would not have been a true interpreter of dreams. Or were you saying Joseph was inferior and somewhat deficient? This argument that suddenly all New Testament believers can interpret simply because they have received the outpouring of the Spirit is a fabrication based purely on theory. There's no support for it from scripture. It rests solely on a supposition. Every member on this thread who posted a dream was a Spirit-filled Christian, and while many had strong feelings about what their dreams meant, several had wondered without certainty for years, even decades, and others seemed to have little clue. What exactly are you telling them here simply because they posted dreams that they were either uncertain about or in reality really had no clue what they meant?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hidden wanted me to post this dream I had he interpreted for me. Ill have to go back and copy his interpretation for it.

Not eating at all? Ever did that before? I was wondering how long a person could fast food. Caffeine is hard enough.

I had this strange dream last night on the internet and it involved you, so better share it even though it was weird.

I was on CF checking my conversations in my dream and I saw a message from you that said "I love you!!!" I was sort of afraid to click on this one, and was relieved and found it strange that it was like a group hidden message. My husband was posting on it and a lot of people were sharing their dreams on there. At the top was a link that said "Read and Agree before posting," so I clicked on there and scanned it then saw there were other links on the page with all the people on it at the top. One brought me to this game like thing where I was the character and I had to finish it to do something, but can't remember why. But I couldn't get through it. I was like on this written parchment flying down to the floor and everything was giant. Giant table, giant man. It was weird. And my character was running through there.

Now I would see this as getting too much into this dream stuff, but since it involved you, thought I would share.

But yeh, I am just getting caught up by journaling too. But practicing praying for any anxiety that comes up, which I find is 20 times every five minutes or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

- "I was on CF checking my conversations in my dream and I saw a message from you that said "I love you!!!" = The conversation was sent by me, but it is not me who is talking. That's the Lord Jesus Himself. It's a dream thread, with the point that when I do interpretations it is Him speaking through me to people.

- "My husband was posting on it and a lot of people were sharing their dreams on there." = Means that he is being ministered to. It likely refers to the fact that he is being ministered to through the dreams you are posting, since they are ministering to his life as well indirectly. But it could refer to his telling you his own dreams in the future, which you will relate to me.

- "At the top was a link that said "Read and Agree before posting," so I clicked on there and scanned it then saw there were other links on the page with all the people on it at the top." = Here's where the message of the dream kicks in. "Read and Agree" posts are a way of clearing certain behaviors from occurring in the threads. It means everyone has to agree to certain conditions first.

- "One brought me to this game like thing where I was the character and I had to finish it to do something, but can't remember why. But I couldn't get through it. I was like on this written parchment flying down to the floor and everything was giant. Giant table, giant man." = The giant table and giant man is Jesus. And that you have to "get through" this game first means having to pass a type of test in order to post dreams and get them interpreted. The parchment you are flying on is your dream, and you are "in a race" to get it to Jesus, so He can read it and interpret (through me). It means there may be (are) a lot of dreams being posted (I do a lot of stuff), and in order to "get through to the Big Man," LoL, you will have to understand that it might not always be easy. It's not like I'm selective at all. It's more that the Lord is selective through me about what dreams I can deal with and when. He even shuts people off from being able to interact with me from time to time, even when they've been sending me dreams for months. I don't choose who interacts with me. He chooses them for me, sends them, and then stops sending them at certain points.

- "And my character had a painted on smile." = Probably means that you should be as real as possible, and you may not be doing so. Still thinking about this last part.

But what it communicates is that you want to pray to "get through to Him." I'm just a servant, and if you pray to Him to have your stuff interpreted, He will hear it, order me to do so (eventually), and it will get done. It's the same reason why I can't always respond to your messages. Sometimes I just don't have the leading/energy to keep up, despite wishing I could. So see me as just as servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, and that He is the one you have to get your dreams to. If you pray to Him to explain things to you, He will. :)

I hope I have another dream to get to that table. :D

Reactions: Hidden In Him

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Dreams, visions, and prophecies were given to a select few prior to the coming of the Holy Spirit. But with the coming of the Spirit, it was upon all believers. (Joel 2:28-29) (Acts 2:16-18) Thus resulting in the gifts of the Spirit.

Stranger

If your trying to argue that the gifts of the spirit listed in 1 cor 12 are a comprehensive list, I would point you to Romans 12.

Are we then to assume those two chapters together form a comprehensive list?