Ear piercing: for sons as well as for daughters: is it appropriate? (plus poll)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ear piercing: is it approrpriate for sons as well as for daughters?

• No, it's appropriate for neither sons nor daughters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
PS: I don't suppose he has his pierced?

(Quite a few mature men have had it done, mind you... :) )
No Ray doesn't have his ears pierced and neither does my son but a few Christian brothers used to wear small crosses in their ears.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No Ray doesn't have his ears pierced and neither does my son but a few Christian brothers used to wear small crosses in their ears.

So would it surprise or bother you if your husband or son did eventually pierce their ears? (not that it would necessarily be likely to happen...but your dh facilitated your piercings, you said.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Lady Crosstalk A while ago you asked this question:

As far as I can see, there were three groups of people who wore earrings in the past. Women for beautification and wealth storage. Men, to indicate their status as a slave. Male pirates and Romany for wealth storage. Are modern men trying to be more like women, slaves, pirates or gypsies?

By way of comment and response: insofar as I would even have been actively aware of it, since all the boys who would play ball in the street where I lived several years ago would probably happen to have worn earrings, I don't see into which category that you mention that they would have fitted.

Would it be more logical to regard it simply as a custom that at times and in some areas has been widely follow by some men and boys. While not necessary, perfectly benign for those who wish to follow it.

(Does this make logical sense?)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So would it surprise or bother you if your husband or son did eventually pierce their ears? (not that it would necessarily be likely to happen...but your dh facilitated your piercings, you said.)
I would be extremely surprised, shocked even, if either of them decided to get their ears pierced. But I don't think it would bother me. There's not much chance of it ever happening though as neither of them have been a fan of ear piercing for males.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would be extremely surprised, shocked even, if either of them decided to get their ears pierced. But I don't think it would bother me. There's not much chance of it ever happening though as neither of them have been a fan of ear piercing for males.
Interesting! The thought does occur: I wonder? if your husband and your son each happen to realize that, while you would be very surprised if one day either of them did pierce their ears, it actually wouldn't bother you if they did.

(But maybe just a moot point about your thinking here - which is very honest of you to express.)

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy Back a bit you said:

So do you still occasionally put all 5 in? :)
I must say, I do not remember the last time I wore my earrings. Or all of my silver and turquoise jewelry, lol. I still have them but...all that stuff has taken a back seat to what I seek in life. Even make-up. I use very little if any. :) It has been a while, just seems too much work for...what?? Lol.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I must say, I do not remember the last time I wore my earrings. Or all of my silver and turquoise jewelry, lol. I still have them but...all that stuff has taken a back seat to what I seek in life. Even make-up. I use very little if any. :) It has been a while, just seems too much work for...what?? Lol.
I love silver and turquoise jewellery @Nancy and have worn some today, they are enamel though not real stones. I don't have a lot of jewellery but I love earrings and have some nice ones my daughter has bought me over the years. Her husband is a jewellery maker and is partner in the business. I wear a watch and also three silver bangles that Ray bought for my birthday a few years ago. And I hardly ever wear make up these days and have a wash and go hairstyle.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love silver and turquoise jewellery @Nancy and have worn some today, they are enamel though not real stones. I don't have a lot of jewellery but I love earrings and have some nice ones my daughter has bought me over the years. Her husband is a jewellery maker and is partner in the business. I wear a watch and also three silver bangles that Ray bought for my birthday a few years ago. And I hardly ever wear make up these days and have a wash and go hairstyle.

Lol...natural and simple is pure beauty ♥

Reactions: Pearl and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I love earrings and have some nice ones my daughter has bought me over the years. Her husband is a jewellery maker and is partner in the business.
Well...as for earrings you are well catered for, then...you have a plentiful supply to keep the holes filled, then...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Nancy Thanks for the 'like'.

PS: My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without putting on her face...but we are all different, aren't we?

Nowadays, the multiple hole custom has been around for so many decades that even the most conservative of mature women may have 2nds and 3rds, it's really a totally low key and straightforward look to go for if the wearer wants it. Go for it/don't go for it: either way, it can be conservative and genteel.

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Nancy Thanks for the 'like'.

PS: My wife doesn't feel dressed if she goes out without putting on her face...but we are all different, aren't we?

Nowadays, the multiple hole custom has been around for so many decades that even the most conservative of mature women may have 2nds and 3rds, it's really a totally low key and straightforward look to go for if the wearer wants it. Go for it/don't go for it: either way, it can be conservative and genteel.

Oh yes, I agree. It is just that for myself, I no longer care to bother...not looking to attract anybody, ha! But I am presentable :)

Reactions: Helen and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh yes, I agree. It is just that for myself, I no longer care to bother...not looking to attract anybody, ha! But I am presentable :)
Fact is, mutlipierced (2 or 3 each side) is so well established that, frankly, women of all ages - even those of the most discreet and conservative dispositions - can now do it confidently. 40 years ago, teen girls and their moms were already doing it, which means that if in 1979 a 19 year old and her 49 year old mom did it, they are now 59 and 89 respectively.

(If this makes any sense?)

Last edited:

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fact is, mutlipierced (2 or 3 each side) is so well established that, frankly, women of all ages - even those of the most discreet and conservative dispositions - can now do it confidently. 40 years ago, teen girls and their moms were already doing it, which means that if in 1979 a 19 year old and her 49 year old mom did it, they are now 59 and 89 respectively.

(If this makes any sense?)

That is fine for them, and it is not a sin IMHO, but, for me personally, I see no point in any of it, lol. Seems the generations move further and further away from the image of God. What with, the tongue splitting, horns inserted under the skin of the top of the forehead so on and so forth. Moderation is fine but...as always, humans have to take it further than is called for. JMHO :) Not to mention that piercings and tattoos become very addicting to many.

Reactions: Helen