Poll: "ear piercings are fully accepted for both genders"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Ear piercings are fully accepted for both genders"; true?

• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have my view but would rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The poll is closed, but I would've voted 'No; disagree'.

I would deny that any piercings for either gender is fully accepted, but fully accepted by whom?

In a small group of artists, it may be fully accepted. Relative to the entire world, all it takes is one person to disagree, and it is no longer fully accepted, but mostly accepted at best.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The poll is closed, but I would've voted 'No; disagree'.

I would deny that any piercings for either gender is fully accepted, but fully accepted by whom?

In a small group of artists, it may be fully accepted. Relative to the entire world, all it takes is one person to disagree, and it is no longer fully accepted, but mostly accepted at best.
Thanks, @Rudometkin , for your comment; I guess I take it that if the poll had been worded 'mostly accepted' or 'very widely accepted' you would have agreed.

These matters are all somewhat secondary and subjective. The OP scenario would seem to be widespread. What I observe among some Fundamentalists, however, is a desire to make secondary and subjective things supposedly of supreme importance in a negative way. But at the small conservative local church where my wife and I have attended for a while, most of the young men/boys in attendance seemed habitually to wear earrings and no one — no one — has tried to "theologize" this to make it become supposedly inappropriate.

2c...

Reactions: Rudometkin

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I had it done when I was about 16.
@Rita Well, I do think anyway that for today's young ppl after the ear piercing in the earlier teen years the getting an inking stage at around 18 seems to come very naturally to them now. As they naturally grow up, how they want to express themselves, coming naturally (if this is a reasonable comment).

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 32:2 - And Aaron said unto them, Break off the golden earrings which are in the ears of your wives, of your sons, and of your daughters, and bring them unto me. It looks like wearing earrings for males is nothing new. Not saying I condone it though.

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, @Rudometkin , for your comment; I guess I take it that if the poll had been worded 'mostly accepted' or 'very widely accepted' you would have agreed.

It seems to be very widely accepted. I might hear an occasional comment of disapproval from friends and family, but the media portrays the masses to be accepting of minorities and personal decisions that in the past were looked down upon by the majority.

Piercings, tattoos, sexual freedom; I think these things along with others are accepted now for both genders more than they were five decades ago.

These matters are all somewhat secondary and subjective. The OP scenario would seem to be widespread. What I observe among some Fundamentalists, however, is a desire to make secondary and subjective things supposedly of supreme importance in a negative way. But at the small conservative local church where my wife and I have attended for a while, most of the young men/boys in attendance seemed habitually to wear earrings and no one — no one — has tried to "theologize" this to make it become supposedly inappropriate.

2c...

I am curious, how do you describe a Fundamentalist? do you consider yourself one?

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most people overdo the "ink" till it becomes unsightly ...ugly. It actually detracts from one's natural beauty. It's a shame, really. The same goes for excessive piercings. Just plain ugly....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It seems to be very widely accepted. I might hear an occasional comment of disapproval from friends and family, but the media portrays the masses to be accepting of minorities and personal decisions that in the past were looked down upon by the majority.

Piercings, tattoos, sexual freedom; I think these things along with others are accepted now for both genders more than they were five decades ago.

I am curious, how do you describe a Fundamentalist? do you consider yourself one?

@Rudometkin The word 'Fundamentalist' properly refers to a set of publications a century ago which dealt with a number of central, Scriptural doctrines. Because they emerged in the United States at the end of the Progressive Era - when all sorts of other ideas influenced the culture of the United States - many ppl have come to associate Fundamentalism within the context of the United States as embodying a cultural mindset also: sometimes it is perceived that it is the culture that is defended with vehemence by Fundamentalists as much as the actual Scriptures.

I don't necessarily think that we should jump to conclusions about people, though: my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area: I certainly don't think that this therefore supposedly proves that she sleeps with a series of bfs, etc., or that if a young man's mom has given him earrings this supposedly proves he will smoke pot, etc. However, some people called Fundamentalists in the past have been so loud about their defence of a certain culture that they have tried sweeping to "prove" connections that do not remotely exist. This is why I hesitate to call myself a Fundametalist, even though I would strong share with some ppl called Fundamentalists a high view of Scripture and a sense of the importance of a Godly life.

(Does this go some way toward answering your question?)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Most people overdo the "ink" till it becomes unsightly ...ugly. It actually detracts from one's natural beauty. It's a shame, really. The same goes for excessive piercings. Just plain ugly....
It's a detraction every time....it's an attempt to cover one's insecurity.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@TLHKAJ Well, maybe but if for example a lady has double studs in each lobe and a guy has single studs, it's frankly so benign and widespread that I just do not see the problem... Only a legalistic Fundamentalist might try to "theologize" any objection...and none of his business in any case.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@TLHKAJ Well, maybe but if for example a lady has double studs in each lobe and a guy has single studs, it's frankly so benign and widespread that I just do not see the problem... Only a legalistic Fundamentalist might try to "theologize" any objection...and none of his business in any case.

I'm just saying that imo, excessive ink, excessive piercings, and even excessive makeup takes away from one's God given natural beauty.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It seems to be very widely accepted.
@Rudometkin Yes, indeed, hence the comment in the OP: "At the small local church where my wife and I attend, already a while ago it seemed that a majority of the young men/boys would typically wear earrings to church".

Like you say, it's so widely accepted now; and young men usually find they can have it done with complete confidence, if this is what they wish to do.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It seems to be very widely accepted. I might hear an occasional comment of disapproval from friends and family
@Rudometkin PS: There are not a few Christian young men who happen to wear earrings.

It probably started because decades ago teen girls and their moms started having double ear piercings put in - today a natural, near universal practice for so many families - and so if sister and mom wore at least 2 in each ear, then it would have been against plain, natural justice for a teen boy to be denied even 1 ear stud clicked into one ear.

(This would likely be a straightforward observation.)