Ear piercing: for sons as well as for daughters: is it appropriate? (plus poll)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ear piercing: is it approrpriate for sons as well as for daughters?

• No, it's appropriate for neither sons nor daughters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So ppl - parents or otherwise - is ear piercing appropriate for sons as well as for daughters?

Otherwise stated, if a son as well as a daughter wanted it, what would you say in the end?

I saw this quote, FYI:

Chellz84 said:
My husband has both his ears pierced. Where I live Hartford CT. It is extreamly common for a guy to have both his ears pierced. I've been working in the school system for 5yrs. And I can't tell you how many.. boys have both their ears pierced along with most Dads that come in.
forums dot thebump dot com

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My husband has his ear pierced. I think it is strange to see a man with more then one ear pierced. And Id rather not see an earring at all in a man. For a girl, it has always been a bit of a tradition in my family. My daughter has her ears pierced. I have mine pierced, but hardly ever wear them. She can decide when she is older. For now they are cute on her and people don't think she is a boy. Lol.

But there is a couple older ones at my church who get on to me once in awhile about having my daughter's ears pierced, because they believe it is sinful Didn't Isaac give Rachel bracelets and a nose ring?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My husband has his ear pierced. I think it is strange to see a man with more then one ear pierced. And Id rather not see an earring at all in a man. For a girl, it has always been a bit of a tradition in my family. My daughter has her ears pierced. I have mine pierced, but hardly ever wear them. She can decide when she is older. For now they are cute on her and people don't think she is a boy. Lol.

But there is a couple older ones at my church who get on to me once in awhile about having my daughter's ears pierced, because they believe it is sinful Didn't Isaac give Rachel bracelets and a nose ring?
Thanks for your comments!

(Did you see the poll also? :) )

I'm sure that by now you've gotten accustomed to your husband's earring, right?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So ppl - parents or otherwise - is ear piercing appropriate for sons as well as for daughters?

Otherwise stated, if a son as well as a daughter wanted it, what would you say in the end?

I saw this quote, FYI:

forums dot thebump dot com

In the ancient world, wearing gold and jewels was a way of storing wealth on one's person. (One never knew when one might have to flee from invading marauders.) I say that we have freedom so "all things are permitted" but not everything is good if it offends a brother or sister. In general, there is a lot of the world which has invaded the church (instead of the opposite, which is what I think the Lord called us to do).

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In the ancient world, wearing gold and jewels was a way of storing wealth on one's person. (One never knew when one might have to flee from invading marauders.) I say that we have freedom so "all things are permitted" but not everything is good if it offends a brother or sister. In general, there is a lot of the world which has invaded the church (instead of the opposite, which is what I think the Lord called us to do).
Thanks for your comment! You so often seem to provide thoughtful posts!

(Did you see the poll also? )

I would hasten to add that I wasn't particularly thinking of ostentatious / expensive jewelry. For example, the simple studding of earlobes can be done inexpensively and quite modestly; and in general terms if at a reasonable age a son as well as a daughter want to do this very widespread practice, I wouldn't particularly think it was problematic, would you?

But I guess it's do to with subjective family customs and preferences to some extent.