Ear piercing: for sons as well as for daughters: is it appropriate? (plus poll)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ear piercing: is it approrpriate for sons as well as for daughters?

• No, it's appropriate for neither sons nor daughters

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Personally I don’t like tattoos. I have one . I got it before I was called to believe.
PS: So would you also dislike earrings/ear piercing for the same or similar reasons?
Personally I would regard ear piercing/earrings/tattoos as rather more subjective; lots of Christians have both, as it happens.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@"ByGrace" @charity FYI: thread and poll...

Hello @farouk

I have no thoughts on the matter. Except that I think it is a shame to mar the beauty of the bodies God has given to us by tattooing them. The flesh counts for nothing, for all will go back to the dust from whence it came: so ultimately it doesn't matter what I think; and I don't know if God has said anything concerning either subject; and if He has not then nothing we may say concerning it matters in the slightest.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hello @farouk

I have no thoughts on the matter. Except that I think it is a shame to mar the beauty of the bodies God has given to us by tattooing it. The flesh counts for nothing, for all will go back to the dust from whence it came, so ultimately it doesn't matter what I think.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Thanks for your comments. I guess this thread has as its emphasis more about ear piercing; so maybe - as opposed to tattoos - you are basically comfortable with men and boys piercing their ears as well as women and girls?

Anyway it's become rather widespread for both to do. (Especially as per the OP quote, it would seem.)

Did you see the poll?

Blessings.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him FYI: thread and poll...
Truth is I’m kinda on the fence with this one. I believe the girls are going to to do anything they think will enhance their appearance, and I’m fine with it. When the men do it’s questionable, especially when they do the lugs I believe it’s called. Just my opinion.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Truth is I’m kinda on the fence with this one. I believe the girls are going to to do anything they think will enhance their appearance, and I’m fine with it. When the men do it’s questionable, especially when they do the lugs I believe it’s called. Just my opinion.
Thanks for your comment!

Did you see the poll? :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I’m not sure if I’m stating it properly, I believe they call it lugs when they put these huge holes in their ears? Their pretty shocking to me, but it’s their preference.
Sometimes what you refer to are called stretchings or gauges.

Actually the poll which I wondered if you saw refers more simply to ear piercings rather than to stretchings; but thanks for your comment.

Some polls are very transparent; others - like this one - are not, so I guess it's not clear who has voted in the poll and who has not (yet...)

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sometimes what you refer to are called stretchings or gauges.

Actually the poll which I wondered if you saw refers more simply to ear piercings rather than to stretchings; but thanks for your comment.

Some polls are very transparent; others - like this one - are not, so I guess it's not clear who has voted in the poll and who has not (yet...)
I see I must be kinda sheltered.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do you have any male friends or family with pierced ears? it's very widespread, anyway. (Indeed, the whole bondservant verbal imagery with the pierced ear is very Scriptural...though hardly a 'requirement' today.)
Only a nephew with gauges.

Reactions: farouk

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So do you have any male friends or family with pierced ears? it's very widespread, anyway. (Indeed, the whole bondservant verbal imagery with the pierced ear is very Scriptural...though hardly a 'requirement' today.)

I knew someone years ago who had their annus and vagina tattoed as a target. In fact there were some 'rings' there also. Is that Scriptural?

Stranger

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Shocked. In the original post I misunderstood. I thought this was also conferred piercing. Sorry the earrings don’t bother me.
Oh no prob. Perhaps then you knew his ears were pierced, but didn't know he would get enlargements.

It seems to me that with many young men - as with young women - the acquisition of ear piercings is simply a fairly natural event that comes round at a certain age. Far from a rebellion thing, it's likely that in many families mom and dad approve of the development; I think this could likely be said about some young men who sometimes attend our church, anyway.

This being said, I think it's probably a healthy thing if people in local churches learn not to become bothered if some of the young men happen to wear earrings; it really doesn't "prove" rebellion at all (in my humble view; if this makes sense?).

Last edited: