Education

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is education incompatible with faith? How important is it for a pastor to be educated? Are intellectual Christians less trustworthy regarding theology, doctrine, guidance in the Christian life? Who is more likely to live out their Christian calling, an intellectual or an average person?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly don't think it hurts. We know that Paul counted his but dung, but in actuality he spoke at least 2 languages and was very well read; not only in scripture but also in philosophy. That had ro hekp him relate to the gentiles. On the other hand, Peter had no formal educatuon and some say he couldn't read or write. I take that back... He spent 3 years in higher learning. But it wasn't accedited by the govt.

Preachers must be educated in the word. Paul told one young preacher to study to show thyself approved.

But... If they are annointed of God, He will see to it they know what to preach.

Reactions: aspen

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly don't think it hurts. We know that Paul counted his but dung, but in actuality he spoke at least 2 languages and was very well read; not only in scripture but also in philosophy. That had ro hekp him relate to the gentiles. On the other hand, Peter had no formal educatuon and some say he couldn't read or write. I take that back... He spent 3 years in higher learning. But it wasn't accedited by the govt.

Preachers must be educated in the word. Paul told one young preacher to study to show thyself approved.

But... If they are annointed of God, He will see to it they know what to preach.

Yeah, my grandfather was one of the most educated people I've known and he had a high school diploma. He spent his life learning about horticulture, space, and carpentry. He built most of the things he owned. I miss him

I tend to think that formal education provides a method for life long learning - if we find the method useful, continuing on to higher levels of education can provide us with success. Most do not need to continue on. Those people who who do not find the formal method useful or capatible can continue learning on their own.

It is my experience that intellectuals are not seen as useful; or may even be viewed as a detriment in American society and within Christianity. They are often viewed by many, as out of touch, uncaring, snobbish and led to intellectualizing God. Antiintellectualism is a popular trend, right now - but education was never really something to strive for in our history.

I admire hard working people who are lifelong learners, whether self educated or formally educated, but I certainly value higher education and I am saddened to see it in decline.

I realize that the majority of people here do not recognize monasticism as legitimate, but I value it as a form of higher education; religious devote their lives to study and spirituality - not sure why it is dismissed by the majority of Protestantism.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Education sure helps along the way....but I was educated ( England) just after the war ( WW2) ...most of my teachers were men who had just come back...some were very jumpy and suffering nervous disorders..and poor things..we children foolishly took advantage of that. So that, and being a sickly child missing school a lot. I never learned nuffin very propper.
None of us three children did...so further education seemed to not be a very wise investment for my father. I married at 19 and started a family... but thankfully our children and grandchildren took a few degrees each in University and are doing very well.
On the spiritual side of the issue. Much learning without any anointing of the Lord upon it, is just much learning .. Little education with the Spirit of the Lord upon the life can change everything.
I remember reading that the great man of God Smith Wigglesworth could't even read or write when God first called him to the ministry from his plumbing business. He learned very quickly from the bible, his wife taught him.

So my answer...God can anoint both the educated and dullwit , of the of the two, the educated does have 'the edge'.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've found that higher educated christians tend to look down on us lower educate toadwarts. One doesn't need a college degree to understand the simplicity of the Gospel.

I have seen this as well. Unfortunately, education level does not impact people's unhealthy desire to exalt themselves and exclude others, which manifests in tribalism. However, I do see the country shifting from modernism (intellectualism valued) to post modernism (intuition is valued) and for me this worries me

Reactions: pia and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My own pastor only graduated from high school. No college and no seminaries of Bible schools, but he is a man of God, in my opinion, well beyond the measure any other that I have ever known. I have over the years had quite number of different men holding the position of pastor over me, but he works more at being a pastor than any I have ever known... without the formal training. He loves each and every one of those who attend our little assembly... even the ones who really do want him out of there.

For myself, I attended a university getting a degree learning quite a few of useful things. However, when I really came to God in 1976 and received the baptism of the Holy Spirit and began at age 32 to read the Bible for the first time of my life, things changed. I had to effectively unlearn some of the things I had picked up in school in order to begin to move toward God.

Education can be a good thing, but it should be a proper education and people would likely disagree on exactly what would constitute proper.

Reactions: Richard_oti and pia

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is education incompatible with faith? How important is it for a pastor to be educated? Are intellectual Christians less trustworthy regarding theology, doctrine, guidance in the Christian life? Who is more likely to live out their Christian calling, an intellectual or an average person?

Luk_10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

I remember watching a cli8p on you tube of that bible series, when Saul was sitting around teh fire having a chat, one of teh men asks him why he is so deliberate in his persuit of the disciple,? His answer was, " I just cant believe that God would use a fisherman and not a man like me', actually i dont think he finished teh sentence. Teh more you full your self with you own learning and understanding the less space you leave for Jesus to teach you.

A vessel filled with dirty water needs to be emptied and cleaned before fresh life giving water can be poured in, but far to many refuse to be emptied.

Reactions: Richard_oti

breathofdesire

Sep 12, 2017
Queensland
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anyone who doesn't put their own intellectual knowledge first.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I do not believe education is incompatible with faith. But if one has a higher education to become lawyer, or doctor, etc., he will naturally be indoctrinated with the world's wisdom in many courses he has to take. If one is a believer already before he receives this education, then he will constantly be contending over many things being taught him, and it will be a hard row to ho. It will be a good trial for his faith. If one is not a believer when he gets this education, then once he is there, he moves into a higher class of civilization, making good money, and it then, in my opinion, places him in the class where few are saved. (1Cor. 1:26-28) It doesn't say none are saved, just few.

As far as the pastor being educated for the call God has given him, I believe it is very important for him to be educated to that which is available to him. If one says he has been gifted by the Holy Spirit as a pastor, or teacher, but he doesn't enjoy, hunger, after more knowledge of the Bible and God, then he hasn't been called as a pastor or teacher. The pastor or teacher strives to study whatever he can, and what is available, in order to be used of God more. He is not striving for a degree, but many times a degree is required. And many times a degree comes with it whether you want it or not. I always say if one is inclined to seek Bible college level courses, take them for credit. Don't audit. You never know what God may do with you, and that piece of paper is another avenue God can open a door to

Both the intellectual and uneducated believer have two things in common. They both have the Holy Spirit, and a sin nature. The wisdom of the world is not just found in intellectual circles. It is also alive and well amongst the ignorant. And Christians in both areas must always contend with it. Recognize it and try and avoid it. (1 Cor. 2:1-7) I have sat in a Sunday School class where the teacher is highly taught. He spent the whole class showing on a chalk board how he arrived at a Greek definition of a word. All he was doing was displaying his pride in his knowledge. He was not ministering the Word of Life to us. By the same token, I have heard Pastors get up and be prideful about their ignorance in the Scripture, as though it was more spiritual to be that way. How can one minister the Word if he doesn't know it?

It doesn't matter if the Christian is intellectual or average as far as living out their calling. Both have the Holy Spirit, and a sin nature. Both can walk in the Spirit, or stumble due to their sin nature. Both must always be on guard against the wisdom of the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Stranger

Reactions: aspen and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@Stranger Excellent post Stranger, well said.
I agree. My own son-in-law was an on-fire Christian before at 23 he decided to become a surgeon. 12 years later he became a plastic surgeon , skilled in the area of burns and hands. With so much dedicated studies for his 'calling' as a doctor all the fire and passion for the Lord dribbled away. Now in his late 50's I would call him a Christian by name ..he still has 'something'...but he never mentions the Lord unless we do.

I also liked very much what you said that both educated and uneducated live out their calling in the same way...in and by The Holy Spirit...not by anything great or worthy they "they' themselves accomplished.
( well you didn't say it quite like that...that's my spin..) :)

Thanks, good reading..

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not believe education is incompatible with faith. But if one has a higher education to become lawyer, or doctor, etc., he will naturally be indoctrinated with the world's wisdom in many courses he has to take. If one is a believer already before he receives this education, then he will constantly be contending over many things being taught him, and it will be a hard row to ho. It will be a good trial for his faith. If one is not a believer when he gets this education, then once he is there, he moves into a higher class of civilization, making good money, and it then, in my opinion, places him in the class where few are saved. (1Cor. 1:26-28) It doesn't say none are saved, just few.

As far as the pastor being educated for the call God has given him, I believe it is very important for him to be educated to that which is available to him. If one says he has been gifted by the Holy Spirit as a pastor, or teacher, but he doesn't enjoy, hunger, after more knowledge of the Bible and God, then he hasn't been called as a pastor or teacher. The pastor or teacher strives to study whatever he can, and what is available, in order to be used of God more. He is not striving for a degree, but many times a degree is required. And many times a degree comes with it whether you want it or not. I always say if one is inclined to seek Bible college level courses, take them for credit. Don't audit. You never know what God may do with you, and that piece of paper is another avenue God can open a door to

Both the intellectual and uneducated believer have two things in common. They both have the Holy Spirit, and a sin nature. The wisdom of the world is not just found in intellectual circles. It is also alive and well amongst the ignorant. And Christians in both areas must always contend with it. Recognize it and try and avoid it. (1 Cor. 2:1-7) I have sat in a Sunday School class where the teacher is highly taught. He spent the whole class showing on a chalk board how he arrived at a Greek definition of a word. All he was doing was displaying his pride in his knowledge. He was not ministering the Word of Life to us. By the same token, I have heard Pastors get up and be prideful about their ignorance in the Scripture, as though it was more spiritual to be that way. How can one minister the Word if he doesn't know it?

It doesn't matter if the Christian is intellectual or average as far as living out their calling. Both have the Holy Spirit, and a sin nature. Both can walk in the Spirit, or stumble due to their sin nature. Both must always be on guard against the wisdom of the world, the flesh, and the devil.

Stranger

Thank you for this post, Stranger. Insightful

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to think of religion as a language, often used to express our relationship with God. I think it important to be a fluent speaker before attaining a higher education. I like what Strange said about the benefit of working out your relationship with God and having a grasp of doctrine to use as a lens or framework for exploring the world and processing new information

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Stranger Excellent post Stranger, well said.
I agree. My own son-in-law was an on-fire Christian before at 23 he decided to become a surgeon. 12 years later he became a plastic surgeon , skilled in the area of burns and hands. With so much dedicated studies for his 'calling' as a doctor all the fire and passion for the Lord dribbled away. Now in his late 50's I would call him a Christian by name ..he still has 'something'...but he never mentions the Lord unless we do.

I also liked very much what you said that both educated and uneducated live out their calling in the same way...in and by The Holy Spirit...not by anything great or worthy they "they' themselves accomplished.
( well you didn't say it quite like that...that's my spin..) :)

Thanks, good reading..

Your quite welcome.

Stranger

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Your quite welcome.

I appreciate yalls comments.

Stranger

initial, final and all comments should really come from the bible - so via internet google[learning] or see 2Timothy 3:7 and Acts 26:24 - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
initial, final and all comments should really come from the bible - so via internet google[learning] or see 2Timothy 3:7 and Acts 26:24 - twinc

Why twinc....why shouldn't they come from the heart? I can't agree .
If you want to ' speak bible' then all comments should only be " yea or nay".
That would make for a very short post, and an uninteresting Site!
But, with some of our posts it would probably be very wise! :D

Reactions: Pisteuo

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Why twinc....why shouldn't they come from the heart? I can't agree .
If you want to ' speak bible' then all comments should only be " yea or nay".
That would make for a very short post, and an uninteresting Site!
But, with some of our posts it would probably be very wise! :D

why indeed - just simply see Timothy and Acts as suggested - twinc