Emergency Preparedness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ActionJackson

Oct 31, 2008
I've been a Christian since the mid 80s (though I was raised in a Christian household by a father who had been a Baptist minister at one time). However, some time shortly after Y2K, I began to wonder how long America would last before her back was broken by greedy and unscrupulous men. As a result, I began to think about emergency preparedness should we suffer an economic collapse or a major natural disaster or an atomic bomb or an invading army, etc. The possiblities are many. I can't tell you how many times I was happy to have some money in the bank when my car developed problems or my wife needed some emergency medicine for a malady that she suffers from. Anyway, I now have more than a year's supply of food, plenty of hunting and fishing gear, a backup generator, some outdoor survival supplies, etc. Has preparedness ever crossed anyone else's mind?

Byron-AW

Oct 22, 2008
Im not too worried about it.As far as war goes no other country would dare mess with us. We may not have the largest army but we have the most advanced, saphisticated, and technologically advanced military in the world. We have the technology to disarm a nuke before it were to hit us. Plus being a strong military with ALOT of nukes, not too many countries would like to start a war with us.Besides we are on pretty good terms with the nuclear super powers of the world.

ActionJackson

Oct 31, 2008
(Byron-AW;62561)
Im not too worried about it. As far as war goes no other country would dare mess with us. We may not have the largest army but we have the most advanced, saphisticated, and technologically advanced military in the world. We have the technology to disarm a nuke before it were to hit us. Plus being a strong military with ALOT of nukes, not too many countries would like to start a war with us. Besides we are on pretty good terms with the nuclear super powers of the world.
Thanks for the response Byron. There's no doubt that our army has the most advanced technology in the world backing it up but many of our ideas are being given to other countries and some of those countries are starting to catch up. Also, being the most advanced doesn't always assure a win. King David beat the superior Philistine, Goliath, with a sling and stones. I'm not nearly as concerned about an invading army as I am about an economic collapse. The Great Depression of last century lasted for about 10 years. We're on the verge of another collapse at this moment. I work in the welding supply industry. I am the buyer for the company and I can see when the economy ebbs and flows. Things are on a very definite slow down. Anyway, I don't believe in putting my trust in myself or the items I have stored for emergency but I do believe in using the examples of the squirrels, ants, bears, and other wildlife. They hide some food away in the fall so that they can eat something in the winter (with the exception of the bear who stores up his fat). I also use history as my guide. The great Israelite Patriarch, Joseph, stored up food for the drought while he was in Egyptian captivity. Of course, Noah prepared for the flood.

Gunner

Nov 1, 2008
"Emergency Preparedness" is more a 'short-term' item than months or years because once you cannot eliminate the emergency, it becomes the norm. If things haven't started to stabilize after just two weeks, there isn't a whole lot one is going to accomplish on their own. Having a couple of years of capability for food and water is great. Try and protect it from those who will do whatever it takes to get it....:eek: Not a pretty thought but, reality.Our greatest threat right now is economic collapse. The government just pledged most of anything they could come up with to Wall Street so the CEO's and investors don't miss out on their bonuses... So, money to provide food and water for 50% unemployed American populations is going to be tough to come by. If we get to a point where our basic economic engine comes to a halt, things will be almost as bad as they can get. It is a possibility that is not unrealistic...After teaching emergency preparedness for a several years, and living that lifestyle as best I can, here's what I would recommend to out good people here on this board:1. History proves that there is strength in numbers. Don't try to go more than a couple of weeks on your own. Once the 'desperate' find out you have what they want, you will have to defend your stores and you could lose.2. If you have a good church, any size, discuss preparedness with your leadership and prayerfully consider a "what-if" plan to support your membership during an extended time of emergency. You will do a LOT better with a group of people where resources, food, shelter and needs for living can be shared and protected much better than on your own.3. It isn't a waste of anything to put up in store supplies for the future. There may be a long time of hardship to endure and we will need each other for support and ultimately, survival.Our other threats are from within. We have people living in our cities who are basically, "on-call" for their part to contribute to the chaos that comes with any national emergency. Don't even think that your co-worker who has a different faith than yours will take you in and help you with things get tough. Our enemies are waiting for a good opportunity to 'strike' while we're perceived as "weak and vulnerable". An economic collapse would be that opportunity. Ever hear of a "Flaming Globe" plan? Few outside of DHS have but, it is a plan by Al Qaida to set much of the U.S. on fire overwhelming our firefighting resources. We came close in California already but, this would happen all about the same time in several states during the hottest, dryest times of the year and there simply won't be enough firefighters or equipment to stop the firestorm that will ultimately wipe out several cities and thousands of homes.... The 'dirty bomb' and chemical or biological attacks are certainly ones to be considered but, those require considerable resources, planning and involvement to execute and are not nearly as likely as many 'sleeper cells' simply driving around through the countryside setting wildfires....Anyway, I don't want to ramble on but, wanted you to consider other possibilities. Knowing what I know about sometimes keeps me awake at night as it does many of those charged with our protection. Our best defense is to remain faithful, stick together and be vigilant. Always be aware of your surroundings whether at home or at the store.... But most of all, support each other in prayer. We may need all the help from above we can get some day....Blessings,Gunner

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Gunner agree with all you have said. See we are almost neighbors, Northern Caif here

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
Jackson, why do you leave out the #1 option from your poll? A few days worth of emergency supplies is what most people have. This is maybe extra food in the cupboard, some candles and batteries, etc. It's it's also what most emergencies require, like a severe flood or ice storm that interrupts daily activity and utilities.Suppose a post-apocalyptic movie-like disaster happens, where's the wild game going to be with a hundred million people hunting for food? There's a reason deer season is so short, even when no one needs to hunt for food.An electric generator? When that movie-like disaster happens, you're not going to be able to get fuel for long-term generator usage. And, if someone can get gas to you, they can also get food and other aid to you.If the economy collapses, just deal with it like you're living in the third-world. It's not an emergency, it's just an adjustment.

Gunner

Nov 1, 2008
I think Jackson was really thinking more 'long-term' than what a lot of people consider an 'emergency'. Hurricanes, ice storms, wild fires, etc, these are certainly emergencies but, other calamities can go far beyond that.I know I don't like to think that some day we may face such a huge change in how we have to live that it will completely change our lives. The down side is that not everyone is going to survive and those that don't may be the real fortunate ones. When life becomes little more than a quest for survival, it's easy to lose hope. Preparing for an emergency and planning builds confidence and provides a good degree of hope for all of us. But, extending beyond a couple of weeks and that changes everything.It's the folks who don't prepare or plan at all that will be at the greatest risk of an extended time. The greater the population, the more difficult life will be. Lose you power and the ability to transport goods and life grinds to a screeching halt in just a few days. Only those not caught up in the panic and chaos of our major cities will have a chance of longer term survival. It's not all 'bad news' though, even for those in high population areas. But, it takes planning and preparation and the greater the numbers that band together, the better their chances are of helping themselves and others.I have several Mormon friends and we had quite a discussion about this subject a couple of years ago. They have litterally TONS of supplies stored away in hundreds of locations nationwide. One of them said, "when the end comes and life becomes simple survival, we Mormons will outlast the rest of the population because we're prepared". He made a good point - so long as someone else doesn't decide they want what YOU have and are willing to take it by force....A good way to figure out what you could put away in 'emergency' supplies is to play the "what if" game - what if the power goes out for a week or two? What if gas prices go to $20.00/gal and I can't afford to buy gas? What if... almost anything you can imagine and within reason, is good enough to give you ideas about how to prepare. That is why I feel very strongly that those of us who are part of a strong church family would do well to prepare together for such a time. There's only so far an individual or family can go on their own but, the real strength is in numbers when families join together, pool their supplies, resources and skills, they can fare much better TOGETHER.
smile.gif
God intended for us to be a BODY and combining our talents for more than just "church" but, as a whole family.... Gunner

Gunner

Nov 1, 2008
Here's a scenario that is not unrealistic that we should be considering. You know, it's that one subject most aren't real concerned about; climate change. I won't go as far as calling this adjustment "global warming" because that just doesn't fit what we're seeing. Some areas of the world are showing evidence of warming while others are having record cold. My personal opinion is that the changes we are seeing are related to the low sun spot cycle that we are supposed to be coming out of. Since the sunspot numbers have dwindles to single digit numbers over the past two to three years, our world has experienced changes we can realize. I believe the two are related and when the natural cycle goes back on the upswing and the sunspots increase in numbers regularly, we will see our climate conditions normalizing again.Now, with that being said, "what if" the cycle doesn't reverse itself and we continue our slow warming trend? What if we have severe draught conditions in half our states and our water resources dry up? The southwest U.S. would realize a long-term state of emergency that not everyone will survive. It's not just the lack of water that will be the 'emergency' but, the effect that condition will have with every day life - businesses will close, jobs will be lost, money will run out and life slowly degrades into a quest for survival....While this isn't what qualifies as an "emergency", it will sneak up on those who fail to be watchful and catch hundreds of thousands unprepared at all. This is something we Christians should be discussing with our home groups, church leadership and extended church family. It is never too late to plan and prepare. Only God knows what our future holds and there are so many different calamities we could be faced with that each require different levels of preparation for. All we can really do is buy ourselves some time. Our survival is ultimately in God's hands and we need to be in prayer for :pray3: what we need to do to remain "salt and light" in our world if and when we are faced with an extended time of urgency.... Something to think about....
smile.gif
Gunner

ActionJackson

Oct 31, 2008
(Follower;62854)
Jackson, why do you leave out the #1 option from your poll? A few days worth of emergency supplies is what most people have. This is maybe extra food in the cupboard, some candles and batteries, etc. It's it's also what most emergencies require, like a severe flood or ice storm that interrupts daily activity and utilities. Suppose a post-apocalyptic movie-like disaster happens, where's the wild game going to be with a hundred million people hunting for food? There's a reason deer season is so short, even when no one needs to hunt for food. An electric generator? When that movie-like disaster happens, you're not going to be able to get fuel for long-term generator usage. And, if someone can get gas to you, they can also get food and other aid to you. If the economy collapses, just deal with it like you're living in the third-world. It's not an emergency, it's just an adjustment.
Any option not listed falls in the "other" category. Speaking of the "third world." The people in a large refugee camp in the middle of the African Congo had gone without food for more than a week recently. When the UN humanitarian team finally arrived, they left boxes of soap because they felt that sanitation would be important. They told the refugees that the food shipment should arrive at any time. Nice...and no thanks. If you trust "big brother" to take care of you in a time of major upheaval then I give you credit for having a strong level of trust. I'll have to do some work in that department. We now have a Marxist President. He has zero experience as a true leader and yet he is the "leader" of the "Free World." Do you trust him and his henchmen? When the Marxists overthrew Russia at the turn of the last century, one of the first things they did was starve the people to death. During that reign of terror, nearly 30 million people lost their lives. Just some food for thought (it may be all some people will have to eat in an emergency).

ActionJackson

Oct 31, 2008
(Gunner;62881)
Here's a scenario that is not unrealistic that we should be considering. You know, it's that one subject most aren't real concerned about; climate change. I won't go as far as calling this adjustment "global warming" because that just doesn't fit what we're seeing. Some areas of the world are showing evidence of warming while others are having record cold. My personal opinion is that the changes we are seeing are related to the low sun spot cycle that we are supposed to be coming out of. Since the sunspot numbers have dwindles to single digit numbers over the past two to three years, our world has experienced changes we can realize. I believe the two are related and when the natural cycle goes back on the upswing and the sunspots increase in numbers regularly, we will see our climate conditions normalizing again. Now, with that being said, "what if" the cycle doesn't reverse itself and we continue our slow warming trend? What if we have severe draught conditions in half our states and our water resources dry up? The southwest U.S. would realize a long-term state of emergency that not everyone will survive. It's not just the lack of water that will be the 'emergency' but, the effect that condition will have with every day life - businesses will close, jobs will be lost, money will run out and life slowly degrades into a quest for survival.... While this isn't what qualifies as an "emergency", it will sneak up on those who fail to be watchful and catch hundreds of thousands unprepared at all. This is something we Christians should be discussing with our home groups, church leadership and extended church family. It is never too late to plan and prepare. Only God knows what our future holds and there are so many different calamities we could be faced with that each require different levels of preparation for. All we can really do is buy ourselves some time. Our survival is ultimately in God's hands and we need to be in prayer for :pray3: what we need to do to remain "salt and light" in our world if and when we are faced with an extended time of urgency.... Something to think about....
smile.gif
Gunner
Good points. My main concern at the moment is that we will see an economic meltdown and a major food shortage. If there is an economic meltdown, the trucking industry will be affected. Grocery stores will be cleaned out in less than a single day. It's happened before and it can and will happen again. Would something like this only affect us for a couple of days? Maybe. And maybe not. We get a good deal of our food from South America these days. If American faces an economic crisis you can rest assured that shipments from that region will cease. Since when has South America given two hoots about humanitarian aid? I believe wholeheartedly in the Bible. I don't think that any part of it is legend, myth, fairy tale, fiction, speculation, or bedtime story. I believe it is hardcore reality. The Book of Revelation tells us that a time is coming when we won't be able to buy or sell without accepting a mark. Is that mark a computer chip or barcode tattoo? I don't know. I just know that we won't be able buy food in the manner we are currently used to. I also know that computer chips are currently being seriously tested on livestock, newborn babies, willing volunteers, store merchandise, etc. The technology exists. Will that technology be used on the general population in the near future? That's the plan! Maybe not today, tomorrow, or in 5 years but in the very near future we, as Christians, will have to make that extremely important decision. Will we accept the mark of the beast or will we reject it? God tells us that we MUST reject it. Then what will you do? Some say that they will "just trust in the Lord." That's a good answer but hasn't the Lord given us the ability to plan ahead? Do we just wake up in the morning and just lay there "trusting the Lord" to take care of us or do we get up and go to work? It's time, in my opinion, to go to work.