Emotion replacing study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Stan,

My own Christian sister who has been a Christian for most of her adult life (age 69), told me a year ago: 'I'm not much of a Bible student'. She was justifying her lack of Bible reading but she does go to a women's KYB study. Will that do for regular Bible reading - a chunk a week?
Oz
I am certainly not in a position to assess someone else's engagement with Scripture. We are all different.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Sad, really.
i dunno, considering his work i think he got off light myself.

And look on that other stuff i might even mostly agree with you, but the point was that there are valid arguments against them that you nor i are required to agree with?

So it might be better to examine why we need our beliefs to be Absolute Truths, even though they are not and never will be, which is why they are called "beliefs?"

Reactions: amadeus

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes Jesus, He is Gods word, In Him is no lie, you cannot have a relationship with a book, just try it. What was it Jesus said,

Joh_14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The truth is who... Christ. Why do people want to hide away from Him.

Luk 7:31 And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?
Luk 7:32 They are like unto children sitting in the marketplace, and calling one to another, and saying, We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned to you, and ye have not wept.
Luk 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
Luk 7:34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
Luk 7:35 But wisdom is justified of all her children.

He calls yet they wont come.

Luk_13:25 When once the master of the house is risen up, and hath shut to the door, and ye begin to stand without, and to knock at the door, saying, Lord, Lord, open unto us; and he shall answer and say unto you, I know you not whence ye are:

Rev_3:20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

You cannot know Jesus without the Word. You cannot build a relationship with the Trinity without the Word and Spirit working hand in hand. Attempting to build a relationship with the Lord void of the truths of Scripture would leave a person entirely without a foundation in Christ, and without that which God can breath upon to lead and guide.

I was saved after I heard the truth of the Cross, with Scripture presented, and a personal contriteness. That truth led me to Jesus, as do other truths that lead me to a deeper relationship with Jesus.

And so, the Word will forever be paramount in a relationship with Jesus. It is not possible to have a walk that progresses in strength and knowledge of the Father without His Word having been hidden deep in the inward parts, for the truth is what Jesus uses to speak to us.

Surely, a person can get saved and attempt a walk with the Lord who doesn't own a Bible, but he is at a great disadvantage without having that guide which will teach him to rightly divide what he hears from wolves and others who are error driven. Look at the huge megachurch movement today where nothing more than great swelling words of positive thinking sentiment are presented to thousands who could care less if they are left with anything more substantial than a good feeling. This is why we see Chinese believers holding their newly given Bibles close to their hearts -- they get it - because they know the Scriptures are the doorway into a deeper relationship and a deeper knowing.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Cassia has a stronger flavor. Concerning the spiritual pallet, stronger is best. Perhaps the more convincing argument should be embraced when scriptural truths undoubtedly support it. After all, all arguments should be weighed in the balance of scripture. If there is more scriptural support for, then it can be considered a weightier argument, hence has cassia ,a stronger flavor than say, doctrines held to, in the precepts of men called tradition, that is unsubstantiated by the written word.

I'm not quite understanding your point.

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you cannot have a relationship with a book, just try it. What was it Jesus said,

But you cannot have a relationship without that "book". Jesus never divorces Himself from the truth of His Word, for, as you rightly point out, He is the Word manifested in the flesh. You want to know Jesus, get to know His words for they are they which testify of Him. To consider the Bible to be nothing more than a book really undermines an essential truth. Jesus words are spirit and they are life. By His Word He created all things.

CovenantPromise

Sep 14, 2019
Northeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not quite understanding your point.
I am saying what you said , and adding greater meaning to. See, from what I gather from your OP, you point out that harlot doctrine (which simply means adultery against a vow to God by not upholding all His doctrine-SCRIPTURE) is recognizable by its different flavor in content. Cassia and Cinnamon.... to the untrained student ("My people perish for lack of knowledge")Cinnamon which is disguised and mingled with (myrrh)-( which is for anointing the dead) and( aloe )- (which is for soothing souls, IN ESSENCE metaphorically I speak )- Cinnamon is cloaked therefore in..... Belief in the death of Christ and uses His name as a means to soothe people , but Cinnamon is weak compared to Cassia. It therefore has slipped in heresies that are disguised as Christian doctrine which professes the death of Christ as our redemption and soothing comforter of souls. However, Cinnamon is upon the bed of adultery. Why? Her doctrine is mingled with the many not the ONE TRUE GOD. There is no fidelity.

My point is, you point out difference in the Proverb and Psalm, I am pointing out that in reality of substance concerning Cassia and Cinnamon -Cassia is a stronger herb or tree bark, if you will, than cinnamon .They come from different trees and are cured if you will in different ways. People easily confuse the two. So I would say with your analogy , that a discerning pallet, one with impeccable faith is able to to see any slight of hand concerning doctrines. I hope I explained for you efficiently ?

DoveSpirit05

Jul 19, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, good OP!!

Just 2 warn you though theres a lot of babes in the faith here!! who are trying 2 eat the meat before they've drunk the milk!! all they wanna do is dumb down your thread and then take it over, like slowing down the (mary go round) so u can jump on!!

if u would like a fruitful discussion fill free 2 come join me!! and thos who really know their scripture!!

Reactions: Hope in God

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
and obv those who have no probs testifying of themselves as you are apparently wont to do, yeh? I say go for it, bro, be a good idea to immerse yourself in other hitler-types and see from the other side so to speak. Go and (try to) have a convo with others who say they know stuff!
Oh you can, it is you who has placed that limit on God, it is not God who placed that limit on man, Christ is the word of God, He can save as He sees fit... the trouble is you keep making Jesus and the bible the same, they are not..
how ya been, mjr? HNY :D

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
and obv those who have no probs testifying of themselves as you are apparently wont to do, yeh? I say go for it, bro, be a good idea to immerse yourself in other hitler-types and see from the other side so to speak

how ya been, mjr? HNY :D
Hding away, sometimes thats a good place, good to see you havnt changed, us of folk need consistency.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I could not have said this better myself!
thing is, see, you cannot state a single absolute truth, from Scripture, that everyone would agree on, neither of you, even when invited to try. Unless i missed something? If i did pls say so. So anyway, see how you make yourself a hypocrite here, wadr

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i dunno, considering his work i think he got off light myself.

And look on that other stuff i might even mostly agree with you, but the point was that there are valid arguments against them that you nor i are required to agree with?

So it might be better to examine why we need our beliefs to be Absolute Truths, even though they are not and never will be, which is why they are called "beliefs?"
But then also there is this:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

When he, Jesus has finished our faith, will anything Not absolute remain? Will it be absolutely nothing or...?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh you can, it is you who has placed that limit on God, it is not God who placed that limit on man, Christ is the word of God, He can save as He sees fit... the trouble is you keep making Jesus and the bible the same, they are not..
Yes, it is like the difference between the totality of a living breathing human being and his dry fleshless, breathless skeleton after he been under dirt for a while. Then again... there is Ezekiel 37 and the valley of dry bones!

Reactions: mjrhealth

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My beliefs are that it is a good thing to divide the service in two....

1. Worship
2. Word

Hi rocky,

Indeed.

1. The liturgy of the word
2. The liturgy of the Eucharist

Is how our brothers and sisters have done it for 2000 years.

Here's Justin Martyrs brief description of it from about 150 AD

And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons.

Peace be with you!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
But then also there is this:

"Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." Heb 12:2

When he, Jesus has finished our faith, will anything Nor absolute remain? Will it be absolutely nothing or...?
imo to everything there is a season, and a purpose

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
imo to everything there is a season, and a purpose
You were not the first one to think that way...

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:" Ecc 3:1