End of Sand

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
There is a thread here about the "End of Oil" but I heard on the radio a few days ago that we are running out of sand.

Seriously!

Sand is needed to make concrete and most buildings have some concrete in them. Some are mostly concrete.
The second most used item in the world is sand (the first is water)
Two thirds of the stuff taken out of the ground is sand.

Apparently the volume of sand being taken from shores and riverbanks is now causing environmental damage.

Worrying?

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, I'd say we're running low...

209908_26524f02d4e2fae091bd0f88a1acf10e_large.jpg

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The fear mongers will always be with us...I used to believe those things..
now I have flipped the other way, I hardly believe anything that I read now.

Unless of course it happens to be what I believe.
. default_24.gif

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, I'd say we're running low...

209908_26524f02d4e2fae091bd0f88a1acf10e_large.jpg

Desert sand grains are finer and smoother so their surface chemistry would not be able to offer sufficient number of multi-directional chemical linkages. If their grain size is too small, the slurry slip and the concrete would have poor strength. Desert sands possess an open structure, and there is little interlock between sand grains. If this sand is kept dry, these bonding bridges provide considerable bearing strength. But if the sand becomes wet, the bridges soften and when overloaded, the bridges break and collapse.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-desert-sand-not-used-for-construction?share=1

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Desert sand grains are finer and smoother so their surface chemistry would not be able to offer sufficient number of multi-directional chemical linkages. If their grain size is too small, the slurry slip and the concrete would have poor strength. Desert sands possess an open structure, and there is little interlock between sand grains. If this sand is kept dry, these bonding bridges provide considerable bearing strength. But if the sand becomes wet, the bridges soften and when overloaded, the bridges break and collapse.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-desert-sand-not-used-for-construction?share=1

In the web cite you posted, there were as many opinions saying desert sand was and can be used as those who say it can't. It in fact is used, they say.

With me it is neither here nor there. It is like worrying about the sun dying out.

Stranger

Reactions: James Roberts

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all good responses, especially about not worrying.
Mark 4:18 & 19 "And these are they which are sown among thorns; such as hear the word, And the cares of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, and the lusts of other things entering in, choke the word, and it becometh unfruitful".

Reactions: Pisteuo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a thread here about the "End of Oil" but I heard on the radio a few days ago that we are running out of sand.

Seriously!

Sand is needed to make concrete and most buildings have some concrete in them. Some are mostly concrete.
The second most used item in the world is sand (the first is water)
Two thirds of the stuff taken out of the ground is sand.

Apparently the volume of sand being taken from shores and riverbanks is now causing environmental damage.

Worrying?
Ah...how apropos!

The spiritual meaning?

At the cross, the hourglass was turned to run the other way.

As for water? Those [born again] of the spirit (waters above) of God are leaving daily.